*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend can you see Windsor trying to make a run if the 2 imports pan out and they get a guy like Allen? Obviously you have to let things play out but I could see that happening and plugging in 2 OAs and finding a goalie.
Yes I do as matter of fact,alot would have to come together but hey anything

is possible

Behave as if they were awarded the hosting gig,drive up prices for pieces the Knights

will need i.e. defence

Old
05-16-2013, 04:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post

is possible

Behave as if they were awarded the hosting gig,drive up prices for pieces the Knights

will need i.e. defence
I just think it's not that feasible to rebuild since there will be very few buyers. I think you can probably use Marchese, Johnson, Ebert and a young guy on D like Brown to change the look of your team in the form of OA's and different faces. One thing is the look has gotten stale and it needs to be shaken up in some way.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Sec108

I have to agree with you guys, we have the horses with a possible couple additions, lets run with them and see what happens.

Our goal is a bit of a ?.I'll wait for training camp to see more of Dekort before judging.His play last season was poor IMO but our D and injuries didnt help him much either.

Liked the Kuchmey kid last camp and here he's only gotten better with Strathroy.Pav should be thanked for keeping us in alot of games last season esp. early.I will miss him but if we can this time hit the target in the euro draft I will be ok with him departing.

Coaching has to be alot more on this season as well.Seems like BB and co. got a little lazy last season.When the kids didnt know how to approach a SO it shocked alot of fans.More positive discipline is needed not just yelling and swearing.

Will be nice to see Koo Koo and Seiloff anchoring our D.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
In the prospects forum, the poster orangeandblack (who generally seems to be knowledgeable with american prospects) posted that Butcher and Allen, among others, are rumored to be on their way to the CHL. Hope it's true.
Hopefully they get picked early enough in the NHL draft and get a nudge our way. They both played at WFCU and according to reports liked it.......

Old
05-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Sec108

I was really hoping for Riley Barber, loved watching him in the Wjr's knowing he was our property.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
I was really hoping for Riley Barber, loved watching him in the Wjr's knowing he was our property.
Only way that would happen if Barber signs with Washington and he is sent here
rather then the AHL should he were not to make the big club

Old
05-16-2013, 08:19 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
In the prospects forum, the poster orangeandblack (who generally seems to be knowledgeable with american prospects) posted that Butcher and Allen, among others, are rumored to be on their way to the CHL. Hope it's true.
That would be a huge boost both of them. Denver just hired a coach but I don't think Butcher knows much about Jim Montgomery, Denver is keeping all the assistants. Butcher's stock has risen in the past few months, if he commits to Windsor I can definitely see a couple D moved eg. one of Murphy or Ebert and Bateman. Moving 2 of those D could leave you with

Koekkoek
Sieloff
Butcher
Murphy or Ebert
Sanvido
Rookie

You could get assets or picks for Ebert/Murphy and Bateman. You still have the 2 high picks with Burns and Murray.

Allen is a no brainer you could probably slot him down the middle because the Spits are weak in that area.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:28 PM
ImaBullsfan

Has anyone heard rumours that the Spits are really going after Bulls OA Austen Brassard? He is not signed a pro contract yet, the rumour is floating around.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Has anyone heard rumours that the Spits are really going after Bulls OA Austen Brassard? He is not signed a pro contract yet, the rumour is floating around.
Yes.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:36 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Yes.
Interesting, anymore to add? what do you think the return should be? or could be?

Old
05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
That would be a huge boost both of them. Denver just hired a coach but I don't think Butcher knows much about Jim Montgomery, Denver is keeping all the assistants. Butcher's stock has risen in the past few months, if he commits to Windsor I can definitely see a couple D moved eg. one of Murphy or Ebert and Bateman. Moving 2 of those D could leave you with

Koekkoek
Sieloff
Butcher
Murphy or Ebert
Sanvido
Rookie

You could get assets or picks for Ebert/Murphy and Bateman. You still have the 2 high picks with Burns and Murray.

Allen is a no brainer you could probably slot him down the middle because the Spits are weak in that area.
Rayzor

You forgot Grahame Brown on the defence instead of the rookie spot

Old
05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Interesting, anymore to add? what do you think the return should be? or could be?
Not much, as for the return if things fall right Bateman could be expendable. The Bulls lose Cardwell and Silas. Austin and Worrad are both 93s not sure if the Bulls want to keep both or one of them. DeSousa is still young, Subban is the rock of the D and they drafted a D with their 1st pick. Bulls could do a lot worse than Bateman.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:56 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Not much, as for the return if things fall right Bateman could be expendable. The Bulls lose Cardwell and Silas. Austin and Worrad are both 93s not sure if the Bulls want to keep both or one of them. DeSousa is still young, Subban is the rock of the D and they drafted a D with their 1st pick. Bulls could do a lot worse than Bateman.
I don't know much about Bateman, seems to me that the kid needs a fresh start elsewhere, but on the other hand, not sure if the bulls need another small, not overly physical d-man?

Old
05-16-2013, 09:10 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Rayzor

You forgot Grahame Brown on the defence instead of the rookie spot
That is correct so you could make the case Butcher would be the big key in making other dominoes fall.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:20 PM
aresknights

Quote:

is possible

will need i.e. defence
I doubt Windsor and London would be going after the same type players.
Not sure they'd really drive prices that high if theyre buyers.
We need D , you don't.
We probly look at high end guys in a go for it year, would Windsor get into talks for a #1D London may need just to drive up the price?

If they want to mortgage the future to try and catch London, I'm all for it.
But I think you see them go after FAs, US drafted kids, import selections or the cheaper trade options such as OAs, 2nd tier younger players avail for trade that they can have for a couple years. Not guys london may need/ want

They need to shake it up but IMO shouldn't try and compete for the talent London will be shopping for.

I do expect movement thou and an improved talent level.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:48 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I wouldn't be against a run, given how much we have coming back. Last year was a mess and, if it could go wrong, it did. It would be interesting to see how a year of no injuries and no major suspensions played out for the boys.
It's a little trickier to make a run in OHL based Cup year when host is in Your conference. So basically you need to identify who you will battle for west crown outside of the Knights.....like is OS or Guelph going to be on level playing field with Windsor. We have seen hosts go down the last few years early and then your door would open wider.....win the west and take on east champ.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:13 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I wouldn't be against a run, given how much we have coming back. Last year was a mess and, if it could go wrong, it did. It would be interesting to see how a year of no injuries and no major suspensions played out for the boys.
I agree that the Spitfires, for all appearances, will start the season going for it if at all possible.

IMHO The Spits will start the year with all the indications pointing at taking a run. This should satisfy the majority of the Season Ticket fan-base. You wouldn't expect them to do otherwise....can't expect them to say we're in full rebuild mode. Certainly there will be numerous changes made including the addition of a couple more overage players, two import players and hopefully a couple U.S. draftee's. Given the perceived strength of the defense you'd expect a couple of them to be moved via trade. IMHO one of the Overage players they will target should be a goalie and the other a scorer. As for the Import players you'd expect them to target creative scoring threats. These ideas are easier said than done.

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men
As we found last year Murphy's Law has a funny way of screwing things up royally
and 2012-13 was no exception.Hopefully the decisions made by management regarding players will be much better than last year by a wide margin.

What can throw a monkey wrench into future plans?

I'm not privy to the player agreements, (someone else can comment) but
no-trade clauses, personal issues and the dreaded gold education packages could very well botch things up. Do we have room to add 2-3 players from the U.S. who would require gold education packages? If not then players who have gold education packages would need to be moved to accommodate them and do those players have no trade clauses? The team seems to be counting on the return of Remy Giftopoulos as an Over-ager but what if he chooses to turn pro where he can get paid for his services.
If things don't progress well during the early part of the season the Spits, IMHO will gradually move some of the key pieces of the team to teams that will be in contention and certainly will become a team in full blown rebuild mode by Christmas.....

Old
05-17-2013, 08:24 AM
aresknights

Good post

Old
05-17-2013, 02:31 PM
KyGuy9

A little memory lane. I just realized how eerily similar Jakub Kovar looks like Pavelka. Both are Czech and seperated by a couple of seasons and I think 3 years. Especially the headshot - doesn't that look exactly like Pav?

Old
05-17-2013, 03:24 PM
johnnydrum

Hello all..
As I had read that there was potential of Windsor trading up in the Import Draft, I tried to do some research on who/what would be available.
Found a great site with a couple of interesting names, and posted it here
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1273517&page=2

Old
05-18-2013, 02:57 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post

A little memory lane. I just realized how eerily similar Jakub Kovar looks like Pavelka. Both are Czech and seperated by a couple of seasons and I think 3 years. Especially the headshot - doesn't that look exactly like Pav?
I put two pictures of them next to each other on my screen....and within 30 seconds, I couldn't figure out who was who

Old
05-18-2013, 07:52 AM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Hello all..
As I had read that there was potential of Windsor trading up in the Import Draft, I tried to do some research on who/what would be available.
Found a great site with a couple of interesting names, and posted it here
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1273517&page=2
That Tretiak kid seems like something Windsor could use, and possibly a skilled forward.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Sec108

couple comments on the mem cup.......

The officiating has been oustanding IMO so far in the 2 games,are the ref's all from the WHL?? Theyre letting the teams decide the game for a change.We dont really know what thats like in the O lately.

Also London better be very afraid.Portland and Halifax look like they have more pop than what London has shown.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:33 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:

The officiating has been oustanding IMO so far in the 2 games,are the ref's all from the WHL?? Theyre letting the teams decide the game for a change.We dont really know what thats like in the O lately.

Also London better be very afraid.Portland and Halifax look like they have more pop than what London has shown.
The Mem Cup and WHL games in general are more physical with far more let go. Yahoo sports did something on this earlier in February I believe when there was shock around OHL about suspensions. But with that said the WHL usually follows the other leagues in a year or two or after an injury. That Saskatoon play against London would of been penalty fest in OHL rinks.

Portland are older than London and it shows....I think they have 3 - 21 yu old guys in prominent roles and a mostly 19 yr old roster.....closer to what Plymouth where compared to London ...older.

Halifax showed last night they can score in any situation and London will have their hands full trying to contain Frk, Mac, Drou and have a real good stopper too.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:35 PM
aresknights

Quote:

http://www.mastercardmemorialcup.ca/...iciating-staff

Heavy Q involvement

Closed Thread