Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Spitfires26

vCash: 500
Last year draft picks

Last year's 13th rounder Robbie Demontis had a good year this year. Followed him for the last few months. Played at The Hill Academy, a prep school in Toronto, had 122 points in 64 games. 47 goals as well. Spits' 11th round pick Jared Leslie played there as well. He had 25 points in 31 games. Sudbury draft pick Matt Adams, Belleville draft pick Trent Shore, London draft pick Aiden Aiden Jamieson, and some other draft picks played there too. Heard Spits offered Demontis a contract but he is still waying out his options, apparently he has got a lot of interest from some colleges in the States. He plays center so he could be a nice fit next year.

Here is the website to see DeMontis' and Leslie's stats at The Hill Academy.

http://www.thehillacademy.com/page/s...u16-2012-2013-

Last edited by Spitfires26: 04-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
With how piss poor the rest of the team is... goaltending isn't the biggest of their issues. Outside of Gibson or Binnington, no goalie would have done very well on last years Spits team.
Subban is the best goalie in the CHL.

And if Dekort is the starter going into next season unless he drastically improves he wouldn't be for long, it either works or it doesn't and it hasn't so far...and if the spits somehow get the Mem cup you can bank on him being the Back up or shipped out before the season. I think the spits may target a goalie in the import draft.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfires26 View Post
Last year's 13th rounder Robbie DeMontis had a good year this year. Followed him for the last few months. Played at The Hill Academy, a prep school in Toronto, had 122 points in 64 games. 47 goals as well. Spits' 11th round pick Jared Leslie played there as well. He had 25 points in 31 games. Sudbury draft pick Matt Adams, Belleville draft pick Trent Shore, London draft pick Aiden Aiden Jamieson, and some other draft picks played there too. Heard Spits offered DeMontis a contract but he is still waying out his options, apparently he has got a lot of interest from some colleges in the States. He plays center so he could be a nice fit next year.

Is DeMontis still 5'7" 135lbs? Unless he's sprouted 3 inches and gained 25lbs, he should go the NCAA route if he's getting offered full rides to top schools.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:15 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
From the sounds of it Rychel seems like he's given up on the Memorial Cup dream especially when he says there are spots available for their top 4 picks to play in Windsor.
First, it was Doran who made the reference, not Rychel. Second, he didn't say they had spots available. He said they could play on this team next year, but that was up to the players. Basically, the talent is there, but if they want to beat out someone who's currently on the roster, that's up to them.

Spitsfan67 - stats show DeKort was more on than off this season and, when he's on, he's really on. I'm not worried about him; very young still.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Is DeMontis still 5'7" 135lbs? Unless he's sprouted 3 inches and gained 25lbs, he should go the NCAA route if he's getting offered full rides to top schools.
School site has him listed at 5'9 160, which wouldn't scare me nearly as much.

BTW, there were a couple kids taken this year that were 5'3 and 115lbs respectively. You want to talk small?

Old
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Spitfires26

Quote:
Website says 5'9 160 lbs. Obviously Rychel likes the kid if he offered him an education package.

Plus I've seen the kid play in a tournament this year. The kid can fly. Not to mention 122 points in only 64 games against some teams that have kids on the NHL draft list. ie: Stanstead College - I heard they travel to the states alot.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Website says 5'9 160 lbs. Obviously Rychel likes the kid if he offered him an education package.
Every player offered a contract is getting an education package. Spits also drafted two centers with their first four picks - which could be read that he gave his answer and they moved on. I guess time will tell.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Spitfires26

Quote:
Every player offered a contract is getting an education package. Spits also drafted two centers with their first four picks - which could be read that he gave his answer and they moved on. I guess time will tell.
I don't think he has made his decision yet.

Last edited by Spitfires26: 04-07-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I think this must be true, it's the only logical explanation as to why he traded away future picks for additional picks this year. He can only sign 4 of those players for 2014 and they are lower picks even if they do so surely they can't be counted on to be key cogs on a Memorial Cup caliber team. Moreover, he can't trade any of the picks he made this year, but he could have traded the futures in the summer to bolster but now with only 3 seconds, 1 fourth and 1 fifth over the next three years his cupboards are bare and that's not much of an option. That is augmented by the fact they don't have a first in 2016, so he'll need some of these second rounders.

If I were bidding on the Mem Cup, I would have done the opposite...traded picks this season for futures next year, so that I would have extra picks to deal this summer for seasoned players to start 2013-14.
I don't know if you can view it from that angle though. When the Spits won the Memorial Cup in 2010 they had 3 16 year olds on the roster until the deadline when they moved Brassard, they still had 2 others on the roster. The only way it hurt this is year is no 1st rounder in 2013. What does Barrie have to deal other than picks? Schiefele, Camara, O'Connor, Beyers, Neiderberger are all gone. Still think Theoret is going to be in the AHL. You don't have a high import pick to replace outgoing Neiderberger. A few nice players in Ekblad, Athanasiou, Hall(OA) but the cupboard is pretty bare though. If you really want seasoned players it will happen near the deadline when you can deal your past 1st round pick. Nobody is going to move seasoned players at this time just for draft picks.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:33 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
First, it was Doran who made the reference, not Rychel. Second, he didn't say they had spots available. He said they could play on this team next year, but that was up to the players. Basically, the talent is there, but if they want to beat out someone who's currently on the roster, that's up to them.

Spitsfan67 - stats show DeKort was more on than off this season and, when he's on, he's really on. I'm not worried about him; very young still.
It wasn't Doran.

“I think (Murray) is a leader-type player than can come in right away,” Rychel said. “(Burns) is a puck mover that can play the power play or kill penalties.”

In the fourth round, the Spitfires grabbed skilled centre Aaron Luchak from the Greater Kingston minor midgets.

“There might be a spot for him right away,” Rychel said.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:47 PM
OHLTG

Rychel may have said that later, but trust me, I know it was Doran originally. I was there talking to him...

"(11:52) Spitfire head scout Terry Doran on Ryan Moore - "We're very excited that a player of that caliber we were able to get in the second round. Not having a first round pick, we had him quite high on our list ... he has first round skill - great skater, good hands, plays with a bit of an edge for a smaller player, which is nice."

On Liam Murray - "skates well, moves the puck well, plays hard."

Andrew Burns - "skilled defenceman ... he played in all situations, PP, PK. Skates real well. Real smart player."

"We're real happy with what these defencemen bring to the table ... I believe 100% that all three could play on this team right now. It's up to them.""

Old
04-07-2013, 04:52 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
I like that having an expereinced goalie that can hold us in most games thats what we need for confidence, although I am hoping that Kuchemy should be able to hold us in as well.
I want Altshuller/experienced goalie because Kuchmey has never played in the OHL. Sure, he was a spectacular Junior B goalie, but it's a big step moving up. But if he does play as well as we expected... What a tandem that would be. Even better, if one has a meltdown we have a reliable backup.

Also, Altshuller is capable of playing TONS. Maybe even overworked. If they can split the dutires both will be fresh.

What other 1994 goalies other than Altshuller could the Spits be eyeing?

Old
04-07-2013, 05:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Rychel may have said that later, but trust me, I know it was Doran originally. I was there talking to him...

"(11:52) Spitfire head scout Terry Doran on Ryan Moore - "We're very excited that a player of that caliber we were able to get in the second round. Not having a first round pick, we had him quite high on our list ... he has first round skill - great skater, good hands, plays with a bit of an edge for a smaller player, which is nice."

On Liam Murray - "skates well, moves the puck well, plays hard."

Andrew Burns - "skilled defenceman ... he played in all situations, PP, PK. Skates real well. Real smart player."

"We're real happy with what these defencemen bring to the table ... I believe 100% that all three could play on this team right now. It's up to them.""
You're the one that gave attitude saying it was Doran and then I showed you the quote from Rychel. Then you say Rychel may have said that? Heck he made a quote in the paper.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Spitfires26

Quote:
School site has him listed at 5'9 160, which wouldn't scare me nearly as much.

BTW, there were a couple kids taken this year that were 5'3 and 115lbs respectively. You want to talk small?
I agree. If you can play, you can play. Plenty of players 5'9. Demontis might even put 10 pounds on in the summer, getting him up to 5'9 170. That's pretty solid. 122 points in 64 games are the numbers I like though. 2 points a game isn't bad LOL.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:16 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
You're the one that gave attitude saying it was Doran and then I showed you the quote from Rychel. Then you say Rychel may have said that? Heck he made a quote in the paper.
I didn't see the quote from Rychel in the paper. I just know what Doran told us, which is why I corrected in the first place. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:27 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I don't know if you can view it from that angle though. When the Spits won the Memorial Cup in 2010 they had 3 16 year olds on the roster until the deadline when they moved Brassard, they still had 2 others on the roster. The only way it hurt this is year is no 1st rounder in 2013.
Did any of them play a key role in the win? Didn't Brassard turn into Kassian or Grubauer or someone who did?

Quote:
What does Barrie have to deal other than picks? Schiefele, Camara, O'Connor, Beyers, Neiderberger are all gone. Still think Theoret is going to be in the AHL. You don't have a high import pick to replace outgoing Neiderberger. A few nice players in Ekblad, Athanasiou, Hall(OA) but the cupboard is pretty bare though.
I wasn't comparing against the Colts, simply stating that the deals are curious if you want assets to deal for a 2014 cup run. Having said that, the Colts are the only team likely to return 3 of this year's top scorers, and Ekblad isn't just a "nice" player, he's an all star.

Quote:
If you really want seasoned players it will happen near the deadline when you can deal your past 1st round pick. Nobody is going to move seasoned players at this time just for draft picks.
I can't speak for the Spits, but I know the Colts have acquired some great high end seasoned players for draft picks in the summer. Anthanasiou (29 Goals), Cameron (47 goals), Pither (3rd in league scoring), Telegin (35 goals) and the pick that became Burmistrov all come to mind in the last few years. All of them had stellar - in some cases spectacular - seasons and were acquired for nothing but draft picks.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:53 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Did any of them play a key role in the win? Didn't Brassard turn into Kassian or Grubauer or someone who did?

I wasn't comparing against the Colts, simply stating that the deals are curious if you want assets to deal for a 2014 cup run. Having said that, the Colts are the only team likely to return 3 of this year's top scorers, and Ekblad isn't just a "nice" player, he's an all star.

I can't speak for the Spits, but I know the Colts have acquired some great high end seasoned players for draft picks in the summer. Anthanasiou (29 Goals), Cameron (47 goals), Pither (3rd in league scoring), Telegin (35 goals) and the pick that became Burmistrov all come to mind in the last few years. All of them had stellar - in some cases spectacular - seasons and were acquired for nothing but draft picks.
Actually Brassard was moved as part of deal for Gruebauer re the Spits 2nd Mem Cup
As for the the 1st Mem Cup 1st rder was Cam Fowler who did not report until the
year the Spits wont the 2nd yr proving u dont need a 1st rder to trade or use to win

Old
04-07-2013, 09:37 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually Brassard was moved as part of deal for Gruebauer re the Spits 2nd Mem Cup
As for the the 1st Mem Cup 1st rder was Cam Fowler who did not report until the
year the Spits wont the 2nd yr proving u dont need a 1st rder to trade or use to win
Actually, Rayzor was talking about the 2010 Cup. Moreover, I was talking about the value of future draft picks as assets you can move to build for a cup run (that Rychel traded away) vs. ones this year that you can't (that Rychel acquired). The only reason you make those moves is for the future, unless you think later round picks from 2013 are somehow going to be big contributors this coming season. Truthfully I'm not sure what your comments have do with this conversation.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:17 AM
OHLTG

I think it was Brassard + Panik for Grubauer + Cantin + Johnston, with picks going each way.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Ottomatic

Yikes! Eric Wellwood fel into the boards and sliced an artery in his own calf and needed emergency surgery.

Teammate Danny Svret tweeted a pic of Eric's skate on the dressing room floor -

Old
04-08-2013, 11:59 AM
RayzorIsDull

No Ho-Sang on the under 18 tryout list for Canada

4 other 96's forwards- Bennett, Pepin, Point, Bishop
1 97-McDavid

Time for Ho-Sang to work hard in the offseason and step his game up doesn't seem like many were impressed this year.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
SimonKnightsman

It was curious in all the early season rankings last year for OHL draft and everyone had Ho Sang going top spot. Sometime after Christmas he began slipping in many scouts lists.

Maybe Boogie Man needs to get this guy on the real NHL program and get him to buckle down.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
No Ho-Sang on the under 18 tryout list for Canada

4 other 96's forwards- Bennett, Pepin, Point, Bishop
1 97-McDavid

Time for Ho-Sang to work hard in the offseason and step his game up doesn't seem like many were impressed this year.
Im sure they were impressed with curtain parts of his game but he has to improve on some things thats for sure, has to stop trying to do it all himself and use his team mates more, he always takes the puck up the ice and at the last second tries to dish it off

i think he has to get better defensively also, so that the coaches are confident with him out there in all situations, hopefully he puts on some muscle hes at 160 on the OHL website and hopefully he can get up around 180 and hopefully adds a bit more grit to his game, and he has to make better desicions im sure they looked at how Ho-Sang tries to get to pretty when he should make the simple plays. The positives to his game are he has amazing vision and can skate like the wind, he has great hands and can stick handle in a phone booth but the kid has to learn when to use it and when not to. He has Star potential and everyone can see that and hopefully he dosent get lazy in the summer and hopefully he gives it 110% to get better and come back next year alot better, because he will have to do a big part if the spits want to have success next season.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:29 PM
punch1943

Trade Window Opens After Memorial Cup?

Last year the OHL trade window opened up 3 days after the Memorial cup and with the moves made by the Spits in the OHL draft one has to think the Spits will be fairly active from the get go.
Does anyone know the exact date it opens?
WR probably fooled a lot of us picking D-Men fairly early ( I know he really surprised me). When it opens I'm guessing the re-vamp will begin in earnest. Room will need to be cleared to allow a couple of the new comers to get a shot unless he plans to keep them in Jr B for a season. Anybody have an inside info they'd care to share?....

Old
04-09-2013, 12:29 PM
KnightSpit

Last Year and This Year Draft Picks

Quote:
Last year's 13th rounder Robbie Demontis had a good year this year. Followed him for the last few months. Played at The Hill Academy, a prep school in Toronto, had 122 points in 64 games. 47 goals as well. Spits' 11th round pick Jared Leslie played there as well. He had 25 points in 31 games. Sudbury draft pick Matt Adams, Belleville draft pick Trent Shore, London draft pick Aiden Aiden Jamieson, and some other draft picks played there too. Heard Spits offered Demontis a contract but he is still waying out his options, apparently he has got a lot of interest from some colleges in the States. He plays center so he could be a nice fit next year.

Spitfires26
Yeah the kid sounds like he could be a nice fit next year. The problem is seeing how the lack of high picks for Windsor this year, due to the penalties on the organization will effect the team in the long run. I like many others think this year's draft was not that spectacular, but then again who knows. Anyone know when the Spits have their mini-camp ?

Closed Thread