HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
^Spits only lost one pick this year due to the recruiting violations - albeit 4th overall and thus Sean Day. But the Spits 2nd rounder (35th overall) is a kid who would have went in the mid-first if he wasn't playing the NCAA card to call his spot.

One thing the league failed to do with the sanction is take away the corresponding gold education package that goes along with any first rounders. So it leaves the Spits the ability to use it to lure over flyer picks that are chosen later in the draft because of NCAA route potential.

I'm certainly not saying Ryan Moore is equivalent to 4th overall/Sean Day level talent, but if he fully committed to play anywhere in the OHL next year he probably would have been a late first rounder.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:16 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Spitfires26
Yeah the kid sounds like he could be a nice fit next year. The problem is seeing how the lack of high picks for Windsor this year, due to the penalties on the organization will effect the team in the long run. I like many others think this year's draft was not that spectacular, but then again who knows. Anyone know when the Spits have their mini-camp ?
Mini Camp is scheduled May 31st-Jun 1st according to WR on Spits web video with F Dayus...............

Old
04-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
^Spits only lost one pick this year due to the recruiting violations - albeit 4th overall and thus Sean Day. But the Spits 2nd rounder (35th overall) is a kid who would have went in the mid-first if he wasn't playing the NCAA card to call his spot.

One thing the league failed to do with the sanction is take away the corresponding gold education package that goes along with any first rounders. So it leaves the Spits the ability to use it to lure over flyer picks that are chosen later in the draft because of NCAA route potential.

I'm certainly not saying Ryan Moore is equivalent to 4th overall/Sean Day level talent, but if he fully committed to play anywhere in the OHL next year he probably would have been a late first rounder.
I keep reading this about later round drafted players and I wonder just how many mid-first round draft picks could there possibly be? I know that Kitchener has 2 of them and London has a cpl also...........yadda yadda yadda.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Ottomatic

^London's early second rounder probably would have been top five. I don't think it's a stretch to claim American players with two year NTDP commitments would have been first rounders if they were coming over without any conditions.

I'd like to see changes though - NTDP players cannot be drafted and stashed. They'd instead have to enter the import draft after their two year commitment - which would be after their NHL draft, so teams would have a much clearer picture if where they'd play and more teams could have a shot at them.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:29 PM
KnightSpit

Spits Mini Camp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Mini Camp is scheduled May 31st-Jun 1st according to WR on Spits web video with F Dayus...............
Punch1943

Thanks for that info., seems kind of late isn't it ? Most other teams are done by May 15th or so. Is that camp open to the public ?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
OHLTG

Mini camps are usually open to the public and dates have varied over the years. I've seen them anywhere during May or June.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:44 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
^London's early second rounder probably would have been top five. I don't think it's a stretch to claim American players with two year NTDP commitments would have been first rounders if they were coming over without any conditions.

I'd like to see changes though - NTDP players cannot be drafted and stashed. They'd instead have to enter the import draft after their two year commitment - which would be after their NHL draft, so teams would have a much clearer picture if where they'd play and more teams could have a shot at them.
Brilliant idea - I really like that. Do the OHL have a suggestion box?

Old
04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Brilliant idea - I really like that. Do the OHL have a suggestion box?
Picture of OHL suggestion box

Old
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post

That was hilarious. Well done Rayzor!

Old
04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

very funny Rayzor

Old
04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Spitfires26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Spitfires26
Yeah the kid sounds like he could be a nice fit next year. The problem is seeing how the lack of high picks for Windsor this year, due to the penalties on the organization will effect the team in the long run. I like many others think this year's draft was not that spectacular, but then again who knows. Anyone know when the Spits have their mini-camp ?
Knight Spit
I could see him in a top 6 role. Maybe top 9. Spits are very high on him. Hopefully they don't lose him to a US college.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:28 AM
coachfluffy

Has the bloom fallen off the rose?

Has the bloom fallen off the Spits ownership's rose? Beginning to hear more and more comments about the happenings around the team that sound an awful lot like the Riola years.

I know they were great for a couple years and won two Mem. cups but lately it seems like they have lost interest. There is talk of Rychel wanting to sell his small percentage of the team, amid rumblings thay everything he has done in the last couple years has been more to help his kid than the team. Dobrich was rarely seen around the arena this past season. The coaching staff seems more like a make work project for friends and relatives. Kinship seems to be the only qualification needed.
Legal problems and contraversy are following the team around, much like the Riola latter years. Drinking problems and bad behaviour amongst the coaches and players. League sanctions against the team and questionable GM moves seem familiar.

Drafted players not reporting and players asking to be traded have happened in both regimes. Cost cutting measures by the current group are resulting in less enjoyable experiences at the games and a reduction in season ticket holders. Discounts and give aways to walk ups, to help fill some of the empty seats, have angered some STHs.

I know that the current owners have been credited with getting Windsor a new arena. You must realise that as soon as someone not named Riola owned the team, the arena was going to be built.

The direction the team takes over the next few years will be very intersting.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:18 AM
OHLTG

I haven't heard anything official about a mini-camp, but the dates I have heard floating around are the weekend after the Memorial Cup final. Again, nothing official...just swirling stuff.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
Has the bloom fallen off the Spits ownership's rose? Beginning to hear more and more comments about the happenings around the team that sound an awful lot like the Riola years.

I know they were great for a couple years and won two Mem. cups but lately it seems like they have lost interest. There is talk of Rychel wanting to sell his small percentage of the team, amid rumblings thay everything he has done in the last couple years has been more to help his kid than the team. Dobrich was rarely seen around the arena this past season. The coaching staff seems more like a make work project for friends and relatives. Kinship seems to be the only qualification needed.
Legal problems and contraversy are following the team around, much like the Riola latter years. Drinking problems and bad behaviour amongst the coaches and players. League sanctions against the team and questionable GM moves seem familiar.

Drafted players not reporting and players asking to be traded have happened in both regimes. Cost cutting measures by the current group are resulting in less enjoyable experiences at the games and a reduction in season ticket holders. Discounts and give aways to walk ups, to help fill some of the empty seats, have angered some STHs.

I know that the current owners have been credited with getting Windsor a new arena. You must realise that as soon as someone not named Riola owned the team, the arena was going to be built.

I don't know what it's like in other cities, but I'd think long and hard about letting my kid play in Windsor. I wouldn't trust them with billets who's prime motive is to cover for the player/give deniability to coaches, or coaches/ownership who can be seen visibly drunk at a local watering hole on any Thursday night it seems.

The problem with coaches/ownership is that as former OHL players they all came up in the gong show years - and they remember those years fondly and thus think the current players should have that freedom and boys will be boys. Coaching staff doesn't want to be authority figures/parental figures/role models - they want to be buddies, or not be bothered with it all. Even the simple thing that they want to be called by their first names by their players - that never sat well with me.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

I think that all of the above is abundantly clear that the bloom is off the rose. The problem with ownership is they didn't know how to deal with losing success came very quickly. The first year was bad but they had a good crop of kids, the next year they drafted Hall, Ellis and Blacker and took off for the next 3-4 years. The last two years have been horrible and Rychel/Boughner don't know how to overcome it. Some of the blame goes to Boughner imo for leaving when he did. It might have been a good time for him since they were coming off 2 Memorial Cups but as far as the organization went it was a very poor time to leave. The organization was not prepared to move on once Boughner left. Boughner trusted Rychel to mind the shop but that turned out poorly. Of course Boughner signs off on the moves Rychel makes but without Boughner scouting and seeing players on a regular basis there's a certain amount of trust Boughner has to put into Rychel and it hasn't panned out. The issue all boils down to accountability and that seems to be lacking right now. If they don't get the Memorial Cup from what I have heard fans might be in for the worst year of the Boughner/Rychel regime coming up. That might mean good things down the line but it begs the question wtf was going on the past 2 years? They can be applauded if they want to rebuild but they should also be ridiculed for the way the past 2 years have played out.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:

Is that the Spitfires Memorial Cup bid in there?

Old
04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
punch1943

Quote:
I think that all of the above is abundantly clear that the bloom is off the rose. The problem with ownership is they didn't know how to deal with losing success came very quickly. The first year was bad but they had a good crop of kids, the next year they drafted Hall, Ellis and Blacker and took off for the next 3-4 years. The last two years have been horrible and Rychel/Boughner don't know how to overcome it. Some of the blame goes to Boughner imo for leaving when he did. It might have been a good time for him since they were coming off 2 Memorial Cups but as far as the organization went it was a very poor time to leave. The organization was not prepared to move on once Boughner left. Boughner trusted Rychel to mind the shop but that turned out poorly. Of course Boughner signs off on the moves Rychel makes but without Boughner scouting and seeing players on a regular basis there's a certain amount of trust Boughner has to put into Rychel and it hasn't panned out. The issue all boils down to accountability and that seems to be lacking right now. If they don't get the Memorial Cup from what I have heard fans might be in for the worst year of the Boughner/Rychel regime coming up. That might mean good things down the line but it begs the question wtf was going on the past 2 years? They can be applauded if they want to rebuild but they should also be ridiculed for the way the past 2 years have played out.
Ain't that the truth.... IMHO the last couple of years management has been grasping at straws. I'm not privy to inside info but I'd hazard a guess that the season ticket base here has to be 4500 or so. I'd also guessing that a significant number of those are doing the same thing I am with my pair of season tix ;waiting to see how the dust settles before making the commitment to renew.
Unless I'm completely out of touch with reality, the direction of this past draft was based on the expectation the Spits won't get the 2014 Memorial Cup. If so, I understand the need for future defensive help as a number of D-Men will be moved out. The (4) flyers (US players that might report in the future) would be great additions in a couple years if the team can be rebuilt that quickly. In the meanwhile things will be very challenging for the Spits and the fan base.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:58 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I was going to purchase season tickets for the upcoming year, after not renewing the last two years, but I won't spend a penny on supporting the lack of accountability, and lack of regard for a fanbase, that Rychel and Co. Display.

Turning this organization into a complete joke, and a ****show.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Ain't that the truth.... IMHO the last couple of years management has been grasping at straws. I'm not privy to inside info but I'd hazard a guess that the season ticket base here has to be 4500 or so. I'd also guessing that a significant number of those are doing the same thing I am with my pair of season tix ;waiting to see how the dust settles before making the commitment to renew.
Unless I'm completely out of touch with reality, the direction of this past draft was based on the expectation the Spits won't get the 2014 Memorial Cup. If so, I understand the need for future defensive help as a number of D-Men will be moved out. The (4) flyers (US players that might report in the future) would be great additions in a couple years if the team can be rebuilt that quickly. In the meanwhile things will be very challenging for the Spits and the fan base.
I still think it's hovering above 5000 but I know several people that are not renewing with or without a Memorial Cup. There are others that are on the fence. I am not sure you can draw much from the draft other than they need to increase the talent level and it does lack size that can play eg. 2 5'8 forwards in the first 4 rounds. Still not sure about the 2 D so early. Rychel still believes the organization has clout to get guys like Warren and Fischer hoping they are high picks and come to Windsor. Not sure I like the logic in that how did that help Kitchener in their pursuit of Trouba he went 1 year to Michigan and is now in the AHL. These uber talented kids can make it work in the CHL or NCAA that has absolutely been proven time after time. The one guy they took Hudie a 96 is out 4-6 months recovering from shoulder surgery he might be talented but big risk in coming over here and if he's not in good shape and can't cut it then that's a wasted pick.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Sec108

Quote:

Good post, kind of says it all.

I boycotted the team when Riolo owned it and then came back a STH when Boug/WR took over and have been a strong supporter of them both.I wonder if I have been wrong.

IMO the first thing the org can do to win back fan confidence is to install organizational disipline.Meaning the crap that went on with Jones,Kassian and now Johnson won't be tolerated.And you'll find yourself fired or traded quick.

Not anticipating getting the mem cup I think another rebuild is in order to get the right type of kids as Spitfires.On the team at the moment we have only a few of those.Lets bring Kuchmey in with De Kort and see who can step in from the past draft.The rest trade for some rookies and let the kids grow together.

As for these Flyers, I think we need to see if interested in the O, if not pass on them next draft and take an Ont kid that really wants to play in the league right now instead of kids waiting for some kind of deal.I have little patience with these so called Flyers.

Say bye to Pav and lets zero in on a couple good Euro picks and WR keep mouth shut on your intentions plz.

I say lets start over from scratch and we'll be better for it esp with a 1st rounder next draft.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Raisy

Quote:
I still think it's hovering above 5000 but I know several people that are not renewing with or without a Memorial Cup. There are others that are on the fence. I am not sure you can draw much from the draft other than they need to increase the talent level and it does lack size that can play eg. 2 5'8 forwards in the first 4 rounds. Still not sure about the 2 D so early. Rychel still believes the organization has clout to get guys like Warren and Fischer hoping they are high picks and come to Windsor. Not sure I like the logic in that how did that help Kitchener in their pursuit of Trouba he went 1 year to Michigan and is now in the AHL. These uber talented kids can make it work in the CHL or NCAA that has absolutely been proven time after time. The one guy they took Hudie a 96 is out 4-6 months recovering from shoulder surgery he might be talented but big risk in coming over here and if he's not in good shape and can't cut it then that's a wasted pick.
So on the one hand you wanted Rychel to take flyer picks in this draft (which he obviously did) and now on the other hand, your not sure you like the logic of it... Call me confused.

Sometimes I can't believe the whining and conspiracy theories that go around on here, like Rychel only using the franchise to forward the career of his kid. Honestly, I think anyone that really believes that should see me at a game because I've got a great deal on some prime swamp land to sell them. Also, I'm still trying to all these terrible deals that Rychel has made that has set the franchise back years; I wasn't particularily exited for the Devlin deal (the trade for him) but knew that it was a gamble that could pay-off, unfortunately it didn't. Not every deal or draft pick is going to pan out.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Jackman

Quote:

Have they renewed the contract for Jones? If the organization is serious about change then it needs to start by dumping Jones.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
That might mean good things down the line but it begs the question wtf was going on the past 2 years? They can be applauded if they want to rebuild but they should also be ridiculed for the way the past 2 years have played out.
I don't think they should be ridiculed. If you won almost immediately after taking over a team, wouldn't you want to keep winning, regardless? This years team should NOT have been as bad as they were. The talent was there. Sure, something was clearly lacking, but the pure talent was there. I don't blame WR for most of this year. He did what he felt was right at the time and I appreciate that. That said, if they don't get the Cup, it has to be rebuild next year; full-out rebuild.

Quote:
Even the simple thing that they want to be called by their first names by their players - that never sat well with me.
To me, this was never an issue because I'd rather be a player who gets along with my coaches and thinks of them as a father figure. It didn't seem to hurt the last group of players, either.

Call me crazy (I'm sure it'll happen), but I think one of the issues with this team is with the fans in general. Windsor comes to expect a whole lot now and I don't believe they want to put up with a rebuild. You gave them 15-years of fast food, then serve them three-years of fine dining. In this city, if you go back to fast-food, you're going to hear about it. Can't be easy for WR to deal with that, either. How do you please a relatively bandwagon city?

Quote:
IMO the first thing the org can do to win back fan confidence is to install organizational disipline.Meaning the crap that went on with Jones,Kassian and now Johnson won't be tolerated.And you'll find yourself fired or traded quick.
Here's the thing about this - none of us know what happened with Jones and none of us know what's going to happen with Johnson. Unless you're referring to the negative attention (in which case, there's not much the team can do about that), let's not judge right now.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Have they renewed the contract for Jones? If the organization is serious about change then it needs to start by dumping Jones.
Probably, written up on a Johnny Shotz bar napkin

Old
04-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I was going to purchase season tickets for the upcoming year, after not renewing the last two years, but I won't spend a penny on supporting the lack of accountability, and lack of regard for a fanbase, that Rychel and Co. Display.

Turning this organization into a complete joke, and a ****show.
Not trying to be a jerk, but can you provide an example of the lack of regard for the fanbase or the lack of accountability?

Closed Thread