HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bourdon at U-18?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Garp

vCash: 500
Bourdon at U-18?

Could someone give me a little report of Bourdon's play at the U-18 so far?

Old
04-18-2005, 08:07 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Bourdon is having a solid, yet unflashy tournament so far. I don't think he possesses the offensive upside that some scouts were seeing in him early on. Other than that, he has shown some constancy, not making any bone-headed plays, looking calm and composed as usual. Bourdon is actually pretty good defensively - his awful performance in his own end at the top-prospect games was just because we caught him on one of those nights - and he's strong enough to clear the front of the net and win battles for loose pucks in the corners. Not a physical force, but showed some kind of a mean streak at some point. He delivered a nice, clean bodycheck in the game against Danemark.

All in all, I feel he's a safe prospect to draft, but definetely not worthy of a top 15 selection IMHO. I don't think he's got the offensive upside that a guy like Marc Staal has, nor the defensive awareness of a guy like Ryan Parent. By the way, his teammate in Val-d'Or, D Kristopher Letang, has looked stellar today vs. Denmark. One could make a case with his size, but he's got offensive instincts you can't teach.

Hope that helps!

Old
04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Garp

Thanks

Old
04-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I'm not sure that I agree with lack of offensive upside. It's true that he hasn't shown any razzle-dazzle, but he's been very good at pinching along the boards. He's also jumped into the play on the backdoor quite often.

In terms of individual puck skill, I agree that he hasn't shown much so far. But in terms of creating offensive flow with positioning and tempo plays (like pinches, breakout passes, and board scrums), I think he's been pretty impressive. Between the two, I think the latter is more important.

Anyway, I really haven't seen enough to make a serious judgment.

Old
04-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Guig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipchura
Bourdon is having a solid, yet unflashy tournament so far. I don't think he possesses the offensive upside that some scouts were seeing in him early on. Other than that, he has shown some constancy, not making any bone-headed plays, looking calm and composed as usual. Bourdon is actually pretty good defensively - his awful performance in his own end at the top-prospect games was just because we caught him on one of those nights - and he's strong enough to clear the front of the net and win battles for loose pucks in the corners. Not a physical force, but showed some kind of a mean streak at some point. He delivered a nice, clean bodycheck in the game against Danemark.
I have to disagree here. I saw him a couple of time this year on tv and he is physical force. He hit the opponents constanly. The majority of his hit are solid hit. In the Q, he was the forth in given hit with 226.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_fr/index...t_by_mode=DESC

His physical game mixed with his skating, his defensive play, his ability to carry the puck and his ability in passing, this guy worth a mid first round pick and easily IMO.

Old
04-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
I'm not sure that I agree with lack of offensive upside. It's true that he hasn't shown any razzle-dazzle, but he's been very good at pinching along the boards. He's also jumped into the play on the backdoor quite often.

In terms of individual puck skill, I agree that he hasn't shown much so far. But in terms of creating offensive flow with positioning and tempo plays (like pinches, breakout passes, and board scrums), I think he's been pretty impressive. Between the two, I think the latter is more important.

Anyway, I really haven't seen enough to make a serious judgment.
I agree with this. In the Q this year he was good offensively, but in this tournament, it seems like he's showing that he understands the offensive game. He looked good on the PP, made some nice outlet passes to start up the rush. It seems like he sees the ice well when it's time break out the defensive zone.

He hasen't carried the puck out of the zone and rushed it up himself, but he's made the nice outlet passes and has pinched in at the right time. As you said, to me this aspect is more important for a D than being able to carry the puck end to end. He sees the ice, he understands the game and he hasen't taken too many chances so far in the tournament. It's only been 3 games though, so hopefully he can keep this up for the rest of tournament.

And of course, his defensive play has been really solid/physical all year in the Q.

Old
04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipchura

All in all, I feel he's a safe prospect to draft, but definetely not worthy of a top 15 selection IMHO. I don't think he's got the offensive upside that a guy like Marc Staal has, nor the defensive awareness of a guy like Ryan Parent. By the way, his teammate in Val-d'Or, D Kristopher Letang, has looked stellar today vs. Denmark. One could make a case with his size, but he's got offensive instincts you can't teach.

Hope that helps!
He hits Hard. Very good physical player.
His shot is awesome. Very heavy from what i saw in the Q.

Old
04-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Luc Bourdon so far has been Canada's best Dman, eclipsing Parent. The more I see him play, the more I like his game. He is very strong on his skates and hits hard. I like his k.i.s.s. approach to the game in his own zone and his pinches are usually well timed. Does not turn the puck often. I'm at the point where I could see us drafting him. I think he's my 3rd favorite Dman in this year's draft after Johnson and Staal.

Old
04-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Luc Bourdon so far has been Canada's best Dman, eclipsing Parent. The more I see him play, the more I like his game. He is very strong on his skates and hits hard. I like his k.i.s.s. approach to the game in his own zone and his pinches are usually well timed. Does not turn the puck often. I'm at the point where I could see us drafting him. I think he's my 3rd favorite Dman in this year's draft after Johnson and Staal.
Ditto on all that. If there is a guy on the blueline for Team Canada right now who you'd call the #1, it's Bourdon. He's a guy who you'd pick first to play on the PP and the PK. Like others have said, there is no single aspect of his game that stands out... he doesn't dazzle as a puck carrier or passer or shooter, he doesn't scare anybody like a Phaneuf with his hitting, he isn't completely airtight on D... but he has the best mix of skills of anybody on the team. He controls the tempo more than any of the other D. If I was comparing him to any of our recent past defensemen, I might pick Eric Desjardins at his peak... with a bit more physical aggression right now, at this level (though I could see him settling in like Desjardins as a pro). He's smart, but also with enough skill that he can do a bit more than just be smart.

I concur with ranking him #3 behind Johnson and Staal at this ponit. (Granted that I know nothing of the European defense prospects).

Old
04-19-2005, 08:16 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad
He hits Hard.
Indeed. He just delivered one nice one and then a second free of charge to the same Russian in the corner.

Old
04-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I kind of hope we don't select Bourdon. Unless we draft very late in the first round. I just leary of his top prospects game plus other holes in his game. If he makes the NHL he is a long ways away not a top d-man if he does.

He looks more like the next Jason Doig to me

Old
04-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Blackshad

If we need to draft a D-Man we should wait to the second round and draft Chad Denny. He plays for Lewinston and he is a damn good Dman from what i saw !! His style of play is like the one Bourdon have.

Old
04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I watched this morning's game vs. Russia on TSN. Bourdon played very well, and was named Canada's player of the game. That was a bit of a joke though, as it should have been Setoguchi (sp?) with his hat trick.

Old
04-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
and i beat this guy on one on one while we were both 14 to be honest already at that age i told myself to remember his name as i saw how good he was, i just couldn't belieive he was 14 too, he seemed to be 17

Old
04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad
If we need to draft a D-Man we should wait to the second round and draft Chad Denny. He plays for Lewinston and he is a damn good Dman from what i saw !! His style of play is like the one Bourdon have.

Old
04-19-2005, 02:26 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I watched this morning's game vs. Russia on TSN. Bourdon played very well, and was named Canada's player of the game. That was a bit of a joke though, as it should have been Setoguchi (sp?) with his hat trick.
I have this game on tape, should be fun to watch.

Old
04-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Laurentides

Bourdon can also fight very well. I have 2 of his fights including one against Maxim Lapierre.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1341657/b...piere.wmv.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/657540/Bo...sseau.wmv.html

just click on the link, then on the next page click on free at the bottom, then on the next page wait for 40 seconds and then right-click on the file...

Old
04-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Garp

I've watch the game vs Russia and here is what I thought :

Bourdon : He did a mistake on the third goal, but he played really good. He was solid defensively and had a couple of good hits. He makes great 1rst pass and has a good hockey sense.

Parent : He was good defensively, not great. Did a few mistake. He's a good skater, but rarely use it. He's a good hitter, but not a hard hitter.

Gragnani : I thought he was great. It was the first time I saw him and I was impressed. He's a good skater, moves the puck well and he is responsible defensively. He lacks of strenght (upper body).

Price : First time I saw him and I was really disapointed. He's big, but he's always on his knees. He's not really fast. I didn't see in him a top 10 pick.

Latendresse : This guy is really good. He's strong, has a good vision, and good hands (not great). He has a good shot and he's smart. He hits and he isn't slow. However, he lacks of agility. And he know how to use his size.

Setoguchi : First time I saw him. I thought he was more phisical then that. However, I think he's a smart player, with a quick release. He uses his size and has good hands.

Bertram : First time I saw him and I was really impressed. Great hands, great vision and great speed. The only problem is that he's small and not really strong. Definitly a 1rst rounder.

Zubov : The only russian player who actually played the whole game. Good hands, good shoot. Too selfish and he's a little weak.

Istomin : Was invisible for most of the game.

Anikeenko: A big Dman with little talent. He can skate, but doesn't have good hand and he loses control of the puck really often. Made a lot of mistakes.

Old
04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentides
Bourdon can also fight very well. I have 2 of his fights including one against Maxim Lapierre.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1341657/b...piere.wmv.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/657540/Bo...sseau.wmv.html

just click on the link, then on the next page click on free at the bottom, then on the next page wait for 40 seconds and then right-click on the file...
Wow thanx for the videos!

Old
04-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Laurentides

No problem, i have a lot of Bonneau fights too if your interested.

Old
04-20-2005, 03:57 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp
Bourdon : He did a mistake on the third goal, but he played really good. He was solid defensively and had a couple of good hits. He makes great 1rst pass and has a good hockey sense.
Gotta agree on that, Bourdon did have a strong game for Canada, especially on defence. Actually, I don't happen to think that he was responsible for the third Russian goal. His partner, which I don't remember the name (Letang or Kurceba, one of the two) tried pinching and he got caught. Bourdon didn't have the time to switch from RD to LD so the Russian forward had plenty of time to take a decent shot on Price and score. Anyway, as I said, to me it was a positive showing for Bourdon... not sure he should have won the Player of the Game award, because guys like Pyatt and Setoguchi deserved it more, but still, he was outstanding defensively. I remember very well a few one-on-one situations versus Russian forwards in which Bourdon did an awesome job of stopping the attack. He showcased this booming shot he has a few times on the PP also.

Now let's see how he'll perform in the next game(s). He's so unpredictable. Sometimes he looks lazy out there, and sometimes he's flat out dominant. A pretty tough player to figure out. I saw him at least 5 times and I still can't say I know what type of player he projects to become.

Old
04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Laurentides

Pierre Mcguire keep saying that he plays like Sergei Gonchar but i disagree. Ive seen him play around 20 times this year and he reminds me more of a Adam Foote with more offense. His best asset is probably his physical defensive game but he can also carry the puck really well, maybe thats why he keep comparing him to Gonchar. In Val d'Or he is by far the best defenseman of the team but id say that Sébastien Bisaillon and Kristopher Letang are better PP QB than him even if he has a good slap shot.

Old
04-21-2005, 12:08 AM
not quite yoda

I am well aware about the whole merits of the plus-minus stat. But Bourdon who looks pretty solid in his own zone happen to have a -39 rating with Val-D'or this season. Shows you what big minutes vs other teams' top lines on a bad team will do to your personal scoresheet

Last edited by not quite yoda: 04-21-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old
04-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
I am well aware about the whole merits of the plus-minus stat. But Bourdon who looks pretty solid in his own zone happen to have a -39 rating with Val-D'or this season. Shows you what big minutes vs other teams' top lines on a bad team will do to your personal scoresheet.
You are damn funny, Val d'or was one of the worse team of last year ( Finished last or 2nd last).

Old
04-21-2005, 11:06 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
I am well aware about the whole merits of the plus-minus stat. But Bourdon who looks pretty solid in his own zone happen to have a -39 rating with Val-D'or this season. Shows you what big minutes vs other teams' top lines on a bad team will do to your personal scoresheet
To the poster just above:

yes. i know val d'or was before last this season. which is why i said exactly what i've just highlighted above.

Closed Thread