HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Gardiner's Future

Old
04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
pooleboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
The red button would be selling Gardiner for cheap.

The green button would be selling him for a player that better improves our team.
it will be a lateral move, its not like we trade gardiner for more prospects.... we trade him for a NHL ready or almost NHL ready top 6 potential C, just like him... top 2 Dman potential.... i dont see these people compliaining about the JVR schenn swap which will be similar to Gardiner trade (if he gets traded). people expect to get something of significant value for nothing......

edit: i dont want to trade gardiner but i realize he is our most valuable asset that we can use to find a good player that will help us at a more pressing need, and this is the reason why u draft BPA... so when they get as good as gardiner u can trade them for a player of similar value at a different position.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
it will be a lateral move, its not like we trade gardiner for more prospects.... we trade him for a NHL ready or almost NHL ready top 6 potential C, just like him... top 2 Dman potential.... i dont see these people compliaining about the JVR schenn swap which will be similar to Gardiner trade (if he gets traded). people expect to get something of significant value for nothing......

edit: i dont want to trade gardiner but i realize he is our most valuable asset that we can use to find a good player that will help us at a more pressing need
That's pretty much exactly what I think. There's a clear distinction between wanting a player gone and wanting a nice return.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
That's pretty much exactly what I think. There's a clear distinction between wanting a player gone and wanting a nice return.
Gardiner + to Colorado for Duchene?

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post

edit: i dont want to trade gardiner but i realize he is our most valuable asset that we can use to find a good player that will help us at a more pressing need, and this is the reason why u draft BPA... so when they get as good as gardiner u can trade them for a player of similar value at a different position.
The Leafs have the luxury here of trading a high end NHL ready prospect like Gardiner for futures if they feel Rielly is ready to make the jump.

If a team in the top 10 of the draft had an off year and feels they are well positioned to rebound, it would make sense to acquire Gardiner for that pick. It could make sense to us because we need to restock our pipeline due to the recent graduation of all of our top prospects.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
goonx

funny how gardiner is now our "kadri" prospect.

let's see how this turns out

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Gardiner + to Colorado for Duchene?
It's the + I'd worry about.

Colorado isn't trading Duchene unless it's a clear over payment!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
funny how gardiner is now our "kadri" prospect.

let's see how this turns out
It's funny because going into this season, the expectation was Gardiner would have the impact that Kadri had this year, while Kadri himself would be a possible tweener... You win some you lose some.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
sommervr

Keep him! The new NHL is going to be all about puck possession and controlled zone entries. We have two great young PMD and we should keep them both.

RC is a dinosaur and doesn't value Gardiner correctly. We all know what happened to the dinosaurs.

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
ITM
As Long As It Takes

I think Gardiner turns out to be a fine defenceman. On the aggregate, he isn't near Kadri's AHL tour is he? And if he is, defencemen typically take a little longer.

In terms of flipping him, I wonder if Couturier would be available given the Flyers' ongoing needs.

My preference would be to keep Gardiner and wait until his game is fully matured, ready to take a leading role on the club.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!

Gardiner is awesome. Keep him or... Just Keep him!!!

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:47 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Gardiner is awesome. Keep him or... Just Keep him!!!
Gardiner is an asset and should be used by Dave Nonis in whatever way Nonis feels will make the Leafs a better team.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Willchel Marlynder
(philer bozel)

vCash: 50
Why the **** is Costco playing over Gardiner? Please someone tell me?

Willchel Marlynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Leafidelity
Its that new Toronto

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
Why the **** is Costco playing over Gardiner? Please someone tell me?
Because as bad as Kostka is defensively, Gardiner is worse.

Really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Because as bad as Kostka is defensively, Gardiner is worse.

Really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
Ya no... Gardiner > Kostka by a long shot.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Ya no... Gardiner > Kostka by a long shot.
Simply, no. Gardiner is pathetic defensively and rightfully won't be used yet. Let's wear down Chara first and then start using him.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:47 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Simply, no. Gardiner is pathetic defensively and rightfully won't be used yet. Let's wear down Chara first and then start using him.
With the way our defence is playing, we'll be losing this series 0-4. Atleast get Gardiner playoff experience. He'll never become a good defencemen if he doesn't get a good long shot at playing with the team. His speed would have helped on some of these stupid turnovers and these slow ass d-men ill a timed pinches.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:01 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
With the way our defence is playing, we'll be losing this series 0-4. Atleast get Gardiner playoff experience. He'll never become a good defencemen if he doesn't get a good long shot at playing with the team. His speed would have helped on some of these stupid turnovers and these slow ass d-men ill a timed pinches.
I think his style of play would result in us giving up the puck a lot more. He was given a chance to play in the previous five game and demonstrated that.

Trade him for someone with a top 2 defensive upside. This idea that we're going to outscore our opposition is fallacious. We need a Marc Staal more than a Tomas Kaberle.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:20 PM
RhyZa

Quote:
I think his style of play would result in us giving up the puck a lot more. He was given a chance to play in the previous five game and demonstrated that.

Trade him for someone with a top 2 defensive upside. This idea that we're going to outscore our opposition is fallacious. We need a Marc Staal more than a Tomas Kaberle.
Even if he gave it up more than Kostka (hard to believe such a number exists) he can also move the puck, and skate. It's a ridiculous decision.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Gardiner needs to play...there is no way in hell he's worse than Kostka/O'Byrne/Fraser/Holzer etc.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!

Quote:

Swap defensmen, really? Should we swap Kadri for Bergeron too? What about Rielly for Karlsson? Phaneuf for Chara?

Old
05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Inconceivable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Gardiner needs to play...there is no way in hell he's worse than Kostka/O'Byrne/Fraser/Holzer etc.
But he is!

Meh I hope we trade him for a tough player that can play on the 2nd or 3rd line

Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:13 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyZa View Post
Even if he gave it up more than Kostka (hard to believe such a number exists) he can also move the puck, and skate. It's a ridiculous decision.
Gardiner had at least one giveaway per game in the regular season. On top of that, he doesn't hit as much as Kostka, nor block shots and I'm sure he missed as much shots. Randy, for much of the season, utilized Gardiner as a puck mover. In fact, when he was paired with Liles, he was the defensive liability on the ice.

Seriously, we have two puck movers in Franson and Liles. The Bruins, on the other hand, don't have any puckmovers outside of Dougie Hamilton ( who isn't relied on much) and Redden. The need for defensively aware D is urgent especially when our current core cannot play calm in their own zone. That is just going to kill us in the playoffs.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:18 PM
The_Chosen_One

Another thing:

Gardiner <> Rielly

Yes, both are very excellent skaters, but that's where their similarities end. Rielly has a very high IQ and plays the game much like a chess player. On the other hand, Gardiner is defensively premature and that was noted for a while.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Swap defensmen, really? Should we swap Kadri for Bergeron too? What about Rielly for Karlsson? Phaneuf for Chara?
Not all defenceman are identical. We need a mobile shut down defenceman. On the other hand, many teams require puck movers.

You need both in the NHL.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
kihei

vCash: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
This probably appears obvious to 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of hockey observers, so why has this not dawned on the person that counts, Carlyle? Would a mobile defenseman who can skate out of trouble be handy against Boston, Randy? Huh? Huh? Huh?

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote