HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner's Future

Old
05-01-2013, 09:29 PM
NewFang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Gardiner needs to play...there is no way in hell he's worse than Kostka/O'Byrne/Fraser/Holzer etc.
I disagree. I think he might be much much worse under a Boston attack like tonight.

I see Obryne in next game

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
I disagree. I think he might be much much worse under a Boston attack like tonight.

Boston wasn't the reason we lost tonight. They were good but we were just downright terrible.

Kostka and Fraser were turnover machines and that kept the Bruins cycle game going.

Gardiner is the only D on our roster than can skate with the puck. Liles can only skate on the PP...

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Gardiner needs to play...there is no way in hell he's worse than Kostka/O'Byrne/Fraser/Holzer etc.
Um, what's he gonna do... absorb hits all night like he did with Steve Bernier?

05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Diatomic
#FireCarlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam View Post
Um, what's he gonna do... absorb hits all night like he did with Steve Bernier?
He's a smart player, that play caught him off gaurd. And its not like he sat down and cried, he got stitched up and played a great game, like a GOOD hockeyplayer.

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
FLASH905

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Swap defensmen, really? Should we swap Kadri for Bergeron too? What about Rielly for Karlsson? Phaneuf for Chara?
Hate when people suggest those. GMs don't make trades just cuz, they're based on needs

FLASH905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Stephen

Boston was their average normal selves and the Leafs were brutal, in full self destruction mode, which has been going on for a long time. Please get Kostka out of there, bad things just happen when he's around.

Since Kostka has been permanently reinserted into the lineup March 25:

4-1 Loss vs Boston -3
4-1 Loss vs Montreal -2
4-0 Win vs Florida +2
5-2 Loss vs Tampa Bay +1
5-3 Loss vs Philadelphia -1
4-0 Win vs Ottawa +1
6-3 Win vs Carolina 0
3-2 Win vs Florida -1
3-2 Loss vs Boston 0

The Leafs are 4-5 and he is a minus -3.

Last edited by Stephen: 05-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
kihei

vCash: 350
Quote:

Okay, forget Gardiner for the moment, though I definitely would prefer to see him in there. What possible reason could Carlyle have for preferring to start Kostka over O'Bryne?

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Aplayaz2000

freeGradiner
Oburn

Aplayaz2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:20 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
He's a smart player, that play caught him off gaurd. And its not like he sat down and cried, he got stitched up and played a great game, like a GOOD hockeyplayer.
I don't think we played that well in that game. New Jersey was still in their slump and Gardiner influence was limited. Thus the only way Gardiner plays is if he outplays Liles. In fact, it would make more sense to pair Gardiner with Franson than Liles. However, Franson doesn't utilize his size nor can he defensively cover Gardiner.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:22 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH905 View Post
Hate when people suggest those. GMs don't make trades just cuz, they're based on needs
Trades are made for a variety of reason. A number of teams need puck movers. We need defensive-oriented top 4 D with mobility. You know, the type player that every team requires.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:38 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

kostka sucks.... i think tonight shows how big Franson is on the Leafs....

Gardiner even though he is better..... idk if i want him getting killed into the boards

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:23 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Even if gardiner gave up as many goals as kotska did, i still want gardiner to play, for developmental reason

bonjovi0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:35 AM
RhinoD

O'Byrne should be in with Lyles in the next game.

Gardiner is not going to play in this series unless someone gets injured. Right now he is the eighth D-man out of eight.

As for Gardiner's future. He has looked really fragile out there since coming back from the injury. Not willing to take the body or get hit on the rush. If the Leafs can make a reasonable trade I think that they will. Especially seeing as he does not fit what Carlyle wants to do with the defense (Big, defense-first, tough guys paired with a puck mover).

They dealt Luke Schenn and it has worked out fine so far. I think they may look to make a similar move with Gardiner.

RhinoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi0308 View Post
Even if gardiner gave up as many goals as kotska did, i still want gardiner to play, for developmental reason
I don't think they're that interested in developing Gards anymore.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
carlyle didn't use Bobby Ryan until he needed to. (when Anaheim was struggling)

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Donmega

Quote:
Boston was their average normal selves and the Leafs were brutal, in full self destruction mode, which has been going on for a long time. Please get Kostka out of there, bad things just happen when he's around.

4-1 Loss vs Boston -3
4-1 Loss vs Montreal -2
4-0 Win vs Florida +2
5-2 Loss vs Tampa Bay +1
4-0 Win vs Ottawa +1
6-3 Win vs Carolina 0
3-2 Win vs Florida -1
3-2 Loss vs Boston 0

RC is killing me with his god damn love for costco. I've been raging all season when this useless garbage player was in the lineup. Gardiner has been pretty brutal too but at least he is better offensively than costco. If carlyle gave half the ice time which costco got this season I bet he'd come around to his old self.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:

This is such a case of "what have you done for me lately" it's unbelievable.

Last year you probably fawned over Gardiner and couldn't fathom not having him in the lineup.

This year you become a peasant totally willing to just back the coach and whatever he decides.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Donmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
carlyle didn't use Bobby Ryan until he needed to. (when Anaheim was struggling)
He didn't use lupul either. You'd think he'd learn from his mistakes. Guy is stubborn like burke

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Youngster Dougie Hamilton was a healthy scratch yesterday in the playoffs as well for the Bruins.

So development doesn't take precedence over the team particularly in the playoffs.

So I don't think you can conclude that Gardiner is done or not in Leafs plans long-term simply due to his absence from the line-up at this point.

If the Leafs did change up the roster I would expect O'Byrne to get in before Gardiner, simply based on NHL experience at this stage.

It too soon to write off Gardiner, his time will come, as there is lots of promising in the youngster. IMO

05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Diatomic
#FireCarlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoD View Post
O'Byrne should be in with Lyles in the next game.

Gardiner is not going to play in this series unless someone gets injured. Right now he is the eighth D-man out of eight.

As for Gardiner's future. He has looked really fragile out there since coming back from the injury. Not willing to take the body or get hit on the rush. If the Leafs can make a reasonable trade I think that they will. Especially seeing as he does not fit what Carlyle wants to do with the defense (Big, defense-first, tough guys paired with a puck mover).

They dealt Luke Schenn and it has worked out fine so far. I think they may look to make a similar move with Gardiner.
Unfortunately, keeping a player in the pressbox doesn't increase his tradevalue. We would be lucky to trade him for a 2nd round pick, let alone a player of JVR's calibre lol I wish

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Unfortunately, keeping a player in the pressbox doesn't increase his tradevalue. We would be lucky to trade him for a 2nd round pick, let alone a player of JVR's calibre lol I wish
There would be plenty of teams willing to give a nice return for Gardiner, a lot more than a 2nd. pick. The Leafs need some punch up front. Trading Gardiner to a team that is drafting around where Max Domi is slotted to be picked, would be the expected return - 15 to 20 in round 1.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM
leafstilldeath
#BlowItUp

Quote:

4-1 Loss vs Boston -3
4-1 Loss vs Montreal -2
4-0 Win vs Florida +2
5-2 Loss vs Tampa Bay +1
4-0 Win vs Ottawa +1
6-3 Win vs Carolina 0
3-2 Win vs Florida -1
3-2 Loss vs Boston 0

Defenceman need to know how to make that first pass. Look at Boston how easy they transition from defence to netural ice and then to offense. Kostka needs to go. Now is not the time to teach, this is playoffs we are here to challenge put Gards in the line up. If we are to lose I would rather lose with Gards than Kostka.

also can someone please memo Fraser that enough with the stretch passes keep it simple short passes please...pretty please...

That said, I do not believe we will lose I am having a feeling leafs will win it in 6. Carlyle and the buds just have to want it more than the Bruins.

Buds do you want it more?

leafstilldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
SteveV*

Quote:

4-1 Loss vs Boston -3
4-1 Loss vs Montreal -2
4-0 Win vs Florida +2
5-2 Loss vs Tampa Bay +1
4-0 Win vs Ottawa +1
6-3 Win vs Carolina 0
3-2 Win vs Florida -1
3-2 Loss vs Boston 0

I believe we were 5-0-2 with Gardiner in lineup after his call up prior to his last game. We were just terrible with that turnover machine Poor kid, every error is in the highlight reel, whereas Kostka seems to get ten freebies a night. There is a serious double standard with our D, perhaps we just expect more out of Gards, but he's never been the liability the mythology now claims.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
SteveV*

As an aside I said we were making a huge mistake reinserting Kostka into the lineup, predicted he would get OWNED last night, and he was an unmitigated disaster. Carlyle has a serious blind spot with this guy and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Kostka is NOT an NHL D man, this became apparent halfway through the season, then suddenly Randy takes him out of press box at end of the season, he still SUCKS, we lose and yet he sticks with. Never get it.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
This is such a case of "what have you done for me lately" it's unbelievable.

Last year you probably fawned over Gardiner and couldn't fathom not having him in the lineup.

This year you become a peasant totally willing to just back the coach and whatever he decides.
I'm no peasant, and I would have Gardiner in my lineup, but understand completely why Randy doesn't like Gardiner in his lineup. Oh, and Carlyle isn't wrong.

Gardiner doesn't address any of our issues

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote