HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the rebuild over?

Old
04-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Is the rebuild over?

The kids have arrived and we're a competitive team. There won't be many more high picks or established vets to trade.

But are we good enough? Did we rebuild enough to ice a serious contender in the next couple years, or will we peak out and need to start over in a couple years?

Do we start to go for it, or keep building?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:48 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
No, year 2 of 3

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:49 PM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
The kids have arrived and we're a competitive team. There won't be many more high picks or established vets to trade.

But are we good enough? Did we rebuild enough to ice a serious contender in the next couple years, or will we peak out and need to start over in a couple years?

Do we start to go for it, or keep building?
how could we have peaked out in two years if guys like Turris, karlsson and Silfverberg will be entering/not even in their primes?

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Nope. 1 more season to go still.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:54 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Not over til we're favourites. We're still just dark horses.

04-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Caje

Last year was supposed to be the big draft for the rebuild with 3 first round picks, and two of them aren't even out of junior yet. I say there's about 2 more years until we really start to contend. Then we'll hopefully start spending to the cap with a few big-name UFAs.

Last edited by Caje: 04-05-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
It never stops.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:59 PM
mcnorth

The rebuild ends day 1 next season.

At that point we're built. Win it for Alfie. No more planning for the future. You stay responsible to it, but you make decisions to win the cup this year. We could very well be better next year than the year after.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
how could we have peaked out in two years if guys like Turris, karlsson and Silfverberg will be entering/not even in their primes?
Well, they could potentially plateau or regress (obviously).

The question is whether our squad will be good enough in a couple years to make us a contender, or whether we should continue to try to deal assets to load up on more and more assets.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
source

It's pretty simplistic to classify our status as either (a) rebuilding; or (b) not rebuilding.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:45 PM
malcolmedge

2 of 3.

A lot of teams need to unload bad contracts for not so bad players. A guy like Keith Ballard can be had for nothing from Vancouver and would be a nice addition.

Ottawa will also attract some big name UFAs due to Karlsson. Other players want to play with the best.

Oilers, Flames and Leafs did/are doing their rebuilds wrong. They tank and suck for years with not veterns to speak of. Where Ottawa and Montreal are doing it on the fly and its working.

malcolmedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
MiscBrah

I always have to remind myself that these aren't troll threads.

We are still rebuilding. This is how the process works. We slowly develop players from within and trade them for draft picks and/or pieces that we are missing. Just because you are wining doesn't mean you have stopped rebuilding.

Did you not watch the game tonight? We lost to Buffalo. I really hope that wasn't our 'contender' team on the ice tonight.

I don't understand what you mean by 'peak out'. How is anyone supposed to know if Turris and Karlsson have hit their career highs? All things point in the direction that they haven't. I haven't seen a single person other than you, predict that we have already peaked.

What do you mean by 'start to go for it'? We are "starting" to go for it by developing players and getting better. Do you mean trade away all of our young players who cost nothing and are playing well for overpriced veterans that some team is sick of?

I don't even know why I'm responding to this thread. You obviously don't follow professional hockey, much less the Ottawa Senators.

Last edited by MiscBrah: 04-05-2013 at 08:54 PM.
MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Gil Gunderson

I don't really see this as rebuilding. All we did was trade Fisher, Kelly, and Elliott. It's not like we tore down our core.

Rebuilding is what Calgary seems to be doing.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
We didnt rebuild.... we rebuilt on the fly and we are still in the process... and should always be in the process of doing it...

Our "rebuild" picks were Zibby, Noesen, Peumpel, Prince, Pageau etc... 1 of them just broke into the NHL

Ceci is another huge piece of our future.... He is probably a year or so away... depending...

Our old guys will continue to regress, our younger guys will continue to get better, its a constant cycle

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:19 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Yes it's over.

Why?

When we had all our top players we looked beasts of the east with no real flaws.

Without Karlsson, Spezza, Anderson, Michalek and Cowen we are 5th in the East.

Rebuild is over. Now we just need one more top line forward to be strong contenders/favourites.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:24 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Echoing those who said in year 2 of 3.

Murray's still adding core players (aka Conacher) to the team and creating the team chemistry to go for it in a few years. Getting some of the young guys experience rather then going for more vet players. In 2-3 years we'll start making deadline deals that show we're pushing for the cup.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
I don't even know why I'm responding to this thread. You obviously don't follow professional hockey, much less the Ottawa Senators.
After reading your post, I'm kind of wondering too...

Old
04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
In 2-3 years we'll start making deadline deals that show we're pushing for the cup.
2-3 years?

Uhh....

I think Conacher was more of an addition to a playoff run just as much as he was an additional member to this team's core moving forward.

We were able to get both because we had a young piece on goaltending that we could entice for a younger guy.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
It never stops.
This.

You're always looking to keep the pipeline flowing with a steady supply of new talent every year (not necessarily at the NHL level, but throughout the organization).

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
2-3 years?

Uhh....

I think Conacher was more of an addition to a playoff run just as much as he was an additional member to this team's core moving forward.

We were able to get both because we had a young piece on goaltending that we could entice for a younger guy.
I think next season will be adding more guys like Connacher. Long-term guys. And then, the season after, maybe depending where we're at, adding rentals and trading picks. That's 2 seasons away . Just my personal guess! Anything can happen with how this team is going. It's just personally how I'm tempering my personal expectations! Not asking you to agree

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I don't think murray and the Eug had this kind of success in mind when they originally envisioned their 3 year plan.

Murray iced a fairly young and weak squad last year, and didn't make any major moves with all of the injuries this year. We did well none the less, which is awesome, but it still kind of signals rebuild to me. More likely though they were expecting a few more years of high picks which didn't materialize.

I'm trying to fast-forward in my head whether this squad will be good enough to be a powerhouse in a few years, or if we're still a few pieces short. It's a tough call. I'm a bit worried that we got "too good too fast", which could put us into the mid-standings limbo.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:44 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Last year was supposed to be the big draft for the rebuild with 3 first round picks, and two of them aren't even out of junior yet. I say there's about 2 more years until we really start to contend. Then we'll hopefully start spending to the cap with a few big-name UFAs.
We are contending this year. We are what....7th in the league? 6th for the last month or so.

This team IS contending, and its doing it 5 of its top what...7 or 8 players? The rebuild isnt over, but its going so SO much better than planned. Even Murray has to be amazed at what these kids are doing. We could ice a second team when everyone is healthy that would probably still win the SE

On the other hand....in my mind the rebuild was a LOT less about the skill of the players we had, and a LOT LOT LOT more about the attitude of this organization. In that sense the rebuild is over.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Yes it's over.

Why?

When we had all our top players we looked beasts of the east with no real flaws.

Without Karlsson, Spezza, Anderson, Michalek and Cowen we are 5th in the East.

Rebuild is over. Now we just need one more top line forward to be strong contenders/favourites.
Cowen and Karlsson pretty much replace Phillips and Gonchar. Our defence still needs a major shot in the ass.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:55 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Cowen and Karlsson pretty much replace Phillips and Gonchar. Our defence still needs a major shot in the ass.
Phillips will still be here.

Karlsson - Methot
Cowen - Gryba
Wiercoch - Phillips

That looks pretty damn good to me. Maybe we can upgrade with a #4, but its not like thats a tough asset to aquire. And if we resign Gonch we dont need to.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:08 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Seems like we're 1 offensive RHD away from a very good team next season. If we can bring Gonch back for one or two more it'll be interesting to see if/when Ceci achieves NHL form.

We're ahead of schedule, but I'm not sure if we're done. I doubt Murray looks at it as nearly done. He'd love to have more of those "good problems" like he had with Bishop rather than call it quits on the rebuild.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote