HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vintage Jersey Question

Old
04-07-2013, 05:56 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Vintage Jersey Question

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about ordering this vintage alternate jersey from Icejerseys in the near future and getting it customized with Lemieux's name and number but I was wondering something. Was it really only worn in 1985??? I know Mario wasn't a captain then so would getting it customized with an "A" or a "C" be wrong??? Or was it still worn after Mario became captain??? I've seen people at Pens games on TV wearing this jersey customized with Lemieux's name and number with "C"'s on them but I was just wondering if that's technically a jersey foul???

For those whom are wondering, this is the jersey I want to maybe buy....

http://www.icejerseys.com/products/P...1947/?pstart=1

Also to the people who already have this jersey, how nice does it look in person?? Does anyone have a picture of one they can share??? I know that Icejerseys picture probably doesn't do it any justice.

Thanks in advance as always folks.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:34 AM

vCash: 500

If I remember correctly Mario only wore that jersey in the preseason.

The big thing for me is that the numbers were on the shoulders back then but people still get them on the arms. If you want to do an exact copy the number should also be plastic but thats not a big deal anyway because the jerseys now are a lot better quality than the jerseys then. I think the jersey back then had a plastic logo on the front but these will have the stitched. Those old jerseys might have been mesh too.

The jersey's look great but they're a little to orange for me. I'm still happy to see them out and hope the Pens finally release the late 70's blue jerseys ASAP. The whites came out but I badly want a Larouche blue. I usually stay away from goalie jerseys but I might go for a Barrasso or Pat Riggin for next season.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:54 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

So if your memory serves, Super Mario only wore that in the preseason eh??? Interesting.

Can anyone else chime in on that jersey in general or confirm if he only wore that one in the preseason. Don't be shy.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
bruizer

Wasn't born yet to speak from experience, but from: http://pittsburghhockey.net/old-site...90Jerseys.html

Quote:
1982-85 Pittsburgh Penguins Sunday Alternate Jerseys

The Penguins were one of the first teams to use a third jersey (1982-83) and continued using the jersey through the 1984-85 season.

In 1982-83, the team introduced their alternate, or Sunday, home jersey. That season's team jerseys were made by Sandow SK (Sport Knit).

In 1983-84 the second set of Penguins gold were made by General Athletic.

CCM made the gold jerseys, with solid black collars, in 1984-85 - the last year they were worn.

The Pens would not have an alernate jersey for another 11 seasons.

Mario Lemieux only wore gold in the preseason of his rookie year in 1984-85.

bruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post

If I remember correctly Mario only wore that jersey in the preseason.

The big thing for me is that the numbers were on the shoulders back then but people still get them on the arms. If you want to do an exact copy the number should also be plastic but thats not a big deal anyway because the jerseys now are a lot better quality than the jerseys then. I think the jersey back then had a plastic logo on the front but these will have the stitched. Those old jerseys might have been mesh too.

The jersey's look great but they're a little to orange for me. I'm still happy to see them out and hope the Pens finally release the late 70's blue jerseys ASAP. The whites came out but I badly want a Larouche blue. I usually stay away from goalie jerseys but I might go for a Barrasso or Pat Riggin for next season.
I am right there with ya #66!

I grew up with those mid '70's teams, and I love those jerseys!

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

One of the gems of my 'collection'...though it always bugged me that Mitchell & Ness went with Dave Schultz instead of someone who's actually, you know, remembered as a Penguin and not a Flyer.

I don't expect the Penguins to do another blue one...this fauxback seemed to try to bridge the inaugural season and late 70s designs simultaneously.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:19 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

One of the gems of my 'collection'...though it always bugged me that Mitchell & Ness went with Dave Schultz instead of someone who's actually, you know, remembered as a Penguin and not a Flyer.
I have that jersey.

Yeah, agree on the name. But that company is a Philly company. So there you go.

I have checked into getting the nameplate removed, but was told it would not be possible without damaging the jersey.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:10 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

So Super Mario did only wear that gold jersey in his rookie preseason eh? Darn.

It's probably just me being personally picky but knowing he only wore that for such a short time kind of takes away from it's awesomeness just a bit.