HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - Fleuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
You need another glass
I've had too many already.

The best ever? Is Rags and Flyers fans banding together in some kind of unholy alliance who *****es about reffing. What a bunch of utter *****.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:30 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post

The best ever? Is Rags and Flyers fans banding together in some kind of unholy alliance who *****es about reffing. What a bunch of utter *****.
The Flyers stuff is the best. Have they never watched their team? The whole reason the Pens meltdown is because they get away with so much **** after the whistle.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:32 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

So the Sabres, Stars, and Flames all sell... and then go out and beat playoff teams!

heh.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:

It's just the law of averages.

Those two fanbases whine about everything, some overlap is inevitable.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:33 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
The Flyers stuff is the best. Have they never watched their team? The whole reason the Pens meltdown is because they get away with so much **** after the whistle.
Flyers fans are the worst fans of any one thing ever. Any time I think of them I become physically angry.

Anyway, I would like to see a MAC ATTACK in the near future. Put him in the lineup and people think twice about laying hands on Penguins stars or they get beat.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:34 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Flyers fans are the worst fans of any one thing ever. Any time I think of them I become physically angry.

Anyway, I would like to see a MAC ATTACK in the near future. Put him in the lineup and people think twice about laying hands on Penguins stars or they get beat.
I'd rather have Mac in the lineup than Glass...

And I'm extremely anti fighting/goons. But at least he'd serve a purpose.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:36 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

MacIntrye is pretty much useless as a hockey player but his fighting is a thing of beauty.

And in fairness, he seems like too much of a sweetheart to really be a goon.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:

Mac seems to have lost his fire. He really doesn't do anything these days, just gives dudes angry looks.

Also:

"You're lucky these two are holding me back! come on guys, pretend to hold me back!"

Old
04-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Skillzz
Registered Boozer

Quote:
I'd rather have Mac in the lineup than Glass...

And I'm extremely anti fighting/goons. But at least he'd serve a purpose.
Mmmmmmrmpmrphmmmmprmmphmmmmmmhmprrmmmmmmm

Old
04-06-2013, 12:38 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
So the Sabres, Stars, and Flames all sell... and then go out and beat playoff teams!

heh.
They are tied with SJ. And Fasth had a pretty bad night, that no goal in the 3rd was really a lowlight

Old
04-06-2013, 12:38 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillzz View Post
Mmmmmmrmpmrphmmmmprmmphmmmmmmhmprrmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
They are tied with SJ
Yes, I'm a super jinx, super jinx, it's super freaky, yeaaaaaaaaow.

(It was 1-0 when I typed it)

Old
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Is there any way to blackmail DB into sitting Glass?
Just gotta get the compromising pictures that Adams apparently has.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Meh, haters gotta hate. One team is on the bubble for the playoffs and one team has completely and utterly **** itself. I guess they have to amuse themselves somehow, because enjoying hockey sure isn't doing it for them this year.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:40 AM
MonsterSurge

GIFSoup

Old
04-06-2013, 12:40 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Mac seems to have lost his fire. He really doesn't do anything these days, just gives dudes angry looks.
I'm actually shocked to see he only has two fights this season.

HOWEVER, I loved this:

I just want to see him do this (plus more) to a guy like Rinaldo (who you know would never actually accept the challenge, but one can dream).

Old
04-06-2013, 12:41 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
MacIntrye is pretty much useless as a hockey player but his fighting is a thing of beauty.

And in fairness, he seems like too much of a sweetheart to really be a goon.
Well... MacIntyre really isn't that much worse of a hockey player than Glass is TBH.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:41 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Yes, I'm a super jinx, super jinx, it's super freaky, yeaaaaaaaaow.

(It was 1-0 when I typed it)
Do you take requests? Though to be fair with the way things are cluttered for playoff spots, I'm not even sure who I need to cheer for anymore

Old
04-06-2013, 12:45 AM
MonsterSurge

Please don't hate me, fellow fans. I didn't even bring it up!

Old
04-06-2013, 12:45 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Meh, haters gotta hate. One team is on the bubble for the playoffs and one team has completely and utterly **** itself. I guess they have to amuse themselves somehow, because enjoying hockey sure isn't doing it for them this year.
Favorite post in the Rangers PGT was, "Pulling for the Islanders to beat them in the 1st round"

okay, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Do you take requests? Though to be fair with the way things are cluttered for playoff spots, I'm not even sure who I need to cheer for anymore
Well, let's test it out.

This SJ-CGY game is going to OT. No way anyone scores.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:46 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Come on, boys. Let's get back on topic here. We are really far away from post-game discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
They didn't look confident. I think the 6-1 game shook the d-corps a little and it kinda carried over to this one. MAF did indeed see every shot, so I guess that's a tiny ray of light I suppose.

Forwards were also incredibly slow backtracking. Even though not every game during the streak were gems (although most of them were), it's been a good long while since I've seen a trailer during a rush be open so often during a game. When MAF robbed Stepan, Geno looked like he could hardly be bothered to cover him. After they tied the game and Boyle had that wide open chance, Sutter stopped chasing him the second he hit the blue line and started coasting. Very disappointing.

When your D can't skate their way out of trouble, or is too terrified to make a pass THROUGH a forechecker towards the middle of the ice for an easy outlet, it's essentially a game of banging it off the glass and praying it gets out of the zone without icing.

Rangers also usually keep 5 men pretty low and block shots. They were MUCH higher on the point, because lets' face it, who are they going to be afraid of offensively from the back end?

And upon a second viewing, I can't believe how bad Geno was. He was guessing a lot instead of creating. I get some fourth liner trying a backhand flip pass into a crowd, but not an elite player like that. When you don't see a play, you don't throw a prayer and just hope it works. That's bush league.

And another funny thing. I can't even call Glass a BAD player. Melichar was a BAD player. Glass is just useless. Worthless.

I know it may be semantics, but is there a difference between being a bad player and being a useless one?
Once again - great analysis. I have to say... Glass pisses me off more than pretty much every player. Sykora got benched. Satan was moved to the 4th line. I've seen other players sat for way less. Useless is not even enough of a word to use for him. He does nothing productive out there. I guess that's not 100% true. He finishes his hit, albeit WAY after the play, every time.

He is just always in the wrong position or cannot understand what angle to take on the forecheck. His backtracking skills are laughable. He fights occasionally? I can't imagine why we don't have a guy like Zach Sill up here after what I've seen from him. He agitates and is productive on the forecheck/backcheck. Glass does NOTHING. Absoultely nothing. When he's around the puck I just wait for the failure. Turnovers, miserable dump-ins, couldn't take an angle if his life depended on it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
I wish I could find a screen cap of when he's finally on the ice, and Cooke's still yapping. I'm sure (hoping for Nash's sake) it was unintentional, but Zuccarello is between him and Cooke.

Until that is found, just have to enjoy this one

I hate to be a whiny girl here but IF Nash slashed Cooke from the bench, he needs a call from New York. That could really lead to some ****.

I'm not saying I never did it before playing hockey.... but at the NHL level that isn't going to cut it.

Quote:

heh.
After Philly's recent surge - tonight had to piss them off. Nothing seemed to go their way.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:49 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Come on, boys. Let's get back on topic here. We are really far away from post-game discussion.
The D-zone coverage scares me. The breakout scares me more. The team was unable to sustain pressure on more than 5 shifts the entire game. I feel like they have incredible depth, and that, despite missing 3 of their TOI leaders, they should be performing better than they are.

The only thing I can really chalk it up to, optimistically, is this team needing time to gel. So Tuesday's game is huge in my mind. They are going to have a lot of time to sit and reflect and rest and learn and understand the system.

Letang or no Letang, I'm really looking at that game against a bad Hurricanes team, as a game where they really need to come out and show their worth.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:51 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
The D-zone coverage scares me. The breakout scares me more. The team was unable to sustain pressure on more than 5 shifts the entire game. I feel like they have incredible depth, and that, despite missing 3 of their TOI leaders, they should be performing better than they are.

The only thing I can really chalk it up to, optimistically, is this team needing time to gel. So Tuesday's game is huge in my mind. They are going to have a lot of time to sit and reflect and rest and learn and understand the system.

Letang or no Letang, I'm really looking at that game against a bad Hurricanes team, as a game where they really need to come out and show their worth.
I have to question this. What the hell causes the breakout to change? It's so strange. Some games we use that circle back and short chip to the streaking forward off the stretch to gain the zone with speed. Other times we just camp out, lazy as can be, and chip it on a stretch pass deep into the zone and let them regroup.

I can't imagine Bylsma is saying it's a good idea. And it changes so frequently I have to think it's on the players. What else would it be?

Old
04-06-2013, 12:52 AM
MonsterSurge

Somewhat related question: When do the rosters expand?

Old
04-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Not much positive to take from this game, other than the win and MAF. There are a few things bothering me after tonight...

- Murray is impressing me with his physical play, but in a seven game series teams will target him and use strongside dumps that put him in transition... How is DB going to counter that? It has me worried.

- Morrow played well enough in the first two periods to see the potential of what he can do in the playoffs. However he is killing this team in his own zone. The Rags blueliners pinched on his side so frequently these last two games, that it almost became comical. They recognized my fear... He has trouble stopping and starting (which is essential for wingers covering their zones in this system). Other teams will notice this in the playoffs and feast on it.

I don't like knowing the Pens have weaknesses like this that can be exploited, but it is up to DB to get the best he can from these two by playing them in situational hockey only.

- The Malkin line is going to continue to struggle in their own end without BB. He was the defensive conscience of that line and it made a big difference. If Morrow is moved to that line it will get even worse than it is now. The decision to keep BB down is mind boggling. He makes your team better at both ends of the ice AND got your superstar pivot back to his game.... Why? Just... Why?

- When your team is struggling mightily with it's transition game because your two best puck moving blueliners are out, why would you sit your third best puck moving blueliner? He wasn't the only one to struggle Wed... Keeping him out made your transition game go from competent to downright comical.

- I thought DB hockey was about speed and tenacious forechecking. So why then does Vitale sit over Glass? It's been said over and over, because it is so ****ing obvious. Having a puck hounding line with TK and Vitale would of done wonders tonight to help this team get a cycle going and generate some momentum. Instead DB does more to eliminate his fourth line than the opponent.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Somewhat related question: When do the rosters expand?
After the trade deadline, so they already have.

Some day we'll get to watch a healthy team. Someday.

Closed Thread