HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - Fleuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
MonsterSurge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
After the trade deadline, so they already have.

Some day we'll get to watch a healthy team. Someday.
Sooo...Beau Bennett will probably be called up? Is there any chance a guy like Sill could be brought up for the playoffs to play on the 4th line?

Old
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Neal definitely had his bell rung. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has a concussion.

/three semesters as an athletic training major, ended up a history major
But his head looked like it jerked back a bit.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:57 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I have to question this. What the hell causes the breakout to change? It's so strange. Some games we use that circle back and short chip to the streaking forward off the stretch to gain the zone with speed. Other times we just camp out, lazy as can be, and chip it on a stretch pass deep into the zone and let them regroup.

I can't imagine Bylsma is saying it's a good idea. And it changes so frequently I have to think it's on the players. What else would it be?
I have no clue what was going on tonight. They were literally staring down the pass and then tossing it right to the Rangers. I mean, I know they weren't trying to turn it over, but they were making plays that realistically had no other outcome.

I know not having anyone on the back end who can skate it up hurts, but then why not either 1) go to a breakout with a series of shorter passes or 2) go to a breakout where the forward takes the puck up from behind the net?

I was one of the "OMG WE'RE TOO SLOW" people, but they have more speed than their showing, but they aren't doing themselves any favors.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post
It wasn't the contact or the way his head moved that concerned me, it was that dazed look he had in his eyes after that got me worried.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:59 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I'm going to wait for word from the team. Speculating about it is useless.

Also, the league has been completely dropping the ball on headshots this year. It's worrisome and deplorable and I ****ing loathe Brendan Shanahan (though I always hated him). He's ****ing garbage. If they keep him around, things are only going to get worse until something horrific happens. I think players recognize it and they're taking shots because of it. Del Zotto probably won't get anything.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post
Possibly. You can't diagnose a concussion visually, though, you just can't. It's entirely possible that he has one but you can't say that he does based on what we saw on tv. They need to administer the appropriate tests.

Edit: the dazed look isn't promising but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. A hit to the head is disorienting whether you have a concussion or not.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:08 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

Well, let's test it out.

This SJ-CGY game is going to OT. No way anyone scores.
well, good news, i can keep whatever money or food i was going to give you to jinx teams.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:08 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
well, good news, i can keep whatever money or food i was going to give you to jinx teams.
?? That was me jinxing it!! it WORKED!

Old
04-06-2013, 12:09 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I have to question this. What the hell causes the breakout to change? It's so strange. Some games we use that circle back and short chip to the streaking forward off the stretch to gain the zone with speed. Other times we just camp out, lazy as can be, and chip it on a stretch pass deep into the zone and let them regroup.

I can't imagine Bylsma is saying it's a good idea. And it changes so frequently I have to think it's on the players. What else would it be?
These last two games the stretch pass reared it's ugly head, and it's not a coincidence it has a ton to do with how long they've been hemmed in their own zone.

Like I said earlier, the back end doesn't seem to have the confidence to make a crisp pass, or skate up with it when they do have the room. The "safe" play is to fire it and hope somebody up ice can chip it in. It's like playing the trap on offense. It's conservative and the damage is kept to a minimum when it fails.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:11 AM
MtlPenFan

All I know is, if there's no suspension, I'm gonna start a "Shanahan is Loyal to the Rags" thread.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:17 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

^Not expecting anything myself. Something along the lines of "it was a rotten hit", but "we don't suspend people for leaving their feet", and it wasn't "predatory"

Quote:
?? That was me jinxing it!! it WORKED!
Sure, but it was easy to know someone was going to score esp vs Calgary

Old
04-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I'd be astonished if he doesn't get a game or two. Not necessarily because of the nature of the hit, but because there was an apparent injury on the play. The NHL loves to suspend based on effect and not so much cause.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Was it just me or does Jussi sound like Goldmember after watching his post game interview?

Old
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
These last two games the stretch pass reared it's ugly head, and it's not a coincidence it has a ton to do with how long they've been hemmed in their own zone.

Like I said earlier, the back end doesn't seem to have the confidence to make a crisp pass, or skate up with it when they do have the room. The "safe" play is to fire it and hope somebody up ice can chip it in. It's like playing the trap on offense. It's conservative and the damage is kept to a minimum when it fails.
Sometimes I think the stretch pass is used as a lure to free up Sid, Malkin, Letang, Martin ect. Once teams overplay the stretch pass those guys get some room to carry pucks up the ice. Its worked against the rangers for the longest time but it looks like they've finally caught up because they looked a lot like Philly the past two games.

I like it when its used as a lure but I don't understand forcing it over and over again. I was hoping to see the Pens use a double chip to the middle of the ice but they never really did.

One thing that really bothered me tonight was that the Pens would cross the blue line and put shots on net. How about that winger hold onto pucks, skate into the corners, show some poise and make a play???

I've posted it a few times and I'm really hoping that the Pens use this weekend to correct a lot of whats wrong. This little weekend off is a huge blessing.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I'd be astonished if he doesn't get a game or two. Not necessarily because of the nature of the hit, but because there was an apparent injury on the play. The NHL loves to suspend based on effect and not so much cause.
I'd be surprised if he got anything, much more blatant cheapshots, like Nash's from a few weeks back went unpunished.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Til the End of Time

neal has done squat the past few weeks, so losing him for a few games would be pretty irrelevant.

hope he uses this as a wake-up to stop slacking and wake up for the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:00 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
neal has done squat the past few weeks, so losing him for a few games would be pretty irrelevant.

hope he uses this as a wake-up to stop slacking and wake up for the playoffs.
use a HEAD INJURY to "stop slacking"?

Old
04-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
use a HEAD INJURY to "stop slacking"?
I think he was reffering to the time off..

Old
04-06-2013, 01:34 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

i give him crap when he deserves it so i'll be the first to say maf was unbelievable tonight

stole 2 pointes

Old
04-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Prepare to be stunned. It was an accident. I was embarrassed to hear the two monkeys immediately starting to yap about it being intentional. If it had been there's have been some velocity on that elbow. As it was MDZ merely turned his body.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:44 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Favorite post in the Rangers PGT was, "Pulling for the Islanders to beat them in the 1st round"
and thats why i get a huge laugh on these boards. any NYR fan over 13 years old would never want the isles ti win anything

Old
04-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Honour Over Glory

The bromance with Murray is slowly building.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
and thats why i get a huge laugh on these boards. any NYR fan over 13 years old would never want the isles ti win anything
After that game, every bad thing that happens to the rangers is karma taking a fat dump on that moronic fan base. I would love to face those idiots in the first round and make them golf early.

The crap in that game, Nash's slash on Cooke, etc...absolutely pathetic. Torts has to be the biggest whiner in the NHL for coaches. His player could two hand a guy and he'd still whine about it being NYR bias.

Torts' tin foil hat must be made by their sponsor, DKNY.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:17 AM
AZPenguins

Great game by MAF. I loved the "is the puck under my butt" shimmy he did.

Anyone else forcing themselves to stay away from the main board Neal thread? I am sorry, I cannot think of a reason to throw your elbow back like that as part of a "hockey move" or bracing yourself for a hit.

Edit: Any word if Tourette's went crazy in his post game presser?

Old
04-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
After that game, every bad thing that happens to the rangers is karma taking a fat dump on that moronic fan base. I would love to face those idiots in the first round and make them golf early.

The crap in that game, Nash's slash on Cooke, etc...absolutely pathetic. Torts has to be the biggest whiner in the NHL for coaches. His player could two hand a guy and he'd still whine about it being NYR bias.

Torts' tin foil hat must be made by their sponsor, DKNY.
Yeah I saw the thread. I am sure that it is not the entire fan base, and those of their not engaged are probably as embarrassed by it as we would be if some here blamed every loss on the officiating. For a city that prides itself on supposed toughness, a lot of whiney girly men crying. Ironic because it was our guy that got concussed without a call, something that has happened far too many times over the past couple of years to our star players, and the Rags (and yes I am using that phrase for the first time in over a year on purpose) had one more PP than the Pens. But sure, the refs purposefully screwed your team. Right. The refs let the Rags get away with a lot that game, and yet I do not see the whining here about the officiating. Grow a pair guys and gain a bit of respect. Sometimes you lose, sometimes the calls go against you.

Closed Thread