HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

LatvianTwist's 2013 Mock Draft 2.0

Old
04-05-2013, 09:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
LatvianTwist's 2013 Mock Draft 2.0

Pick Team Player Position Change in Position Reasoning
1st Seth Jones Defender None Easy pick here. Spent a good chunk of his childhood in Colorado, and a Johnson - Jones pairing is something you could build a franchise around. Just so happens he fills their biggest need as well.
2nd Nathan MacKinnon Center None BPA here, MacKinnon gives them some scary depth down the middle and allows them to keep Huberdeau on the wing. A one-two punch of MacKinnon - Bjugstad is frightening to go up against as soon as next year.
3rd Jonathan Drouin Winger Up 1 A team needing help everywhere, they pick up arguably the most purely talented player available this year. A speedy winger with unbelievable hands, he'll be a fixture on their top line for many years to come.
4th Aleksandr Barkov Center Down 1 With Grigorenko as the only prospect in their pool who has a legitimate shot at becoming a #1, they give themselves some great insurance by picking up an absolute stud in Barkov. He can do it all - hit, score, defend; all you have to do is tell him to do it.
5th Valeri Nichushkin Winger Up 8 A player touted as a top 3 talent, the KHL factor will diminish his hype greatly. But that's never stopped the Lightning before, and the forward factoring chugs out another young stud.
6th Sean Monahan Center Down 1 The Staals and now Monahan down the middle is just unreal depth, and Monahan has to be the BPA at this point. A very solid pick, he'll be a building block for Carolina going forward as they look to contend very soon.
7th Elias Lindholm Center Down 1 A team in desperate need of a stud prospect anywhere, they strike gold snagging Lindholm at 7th. A great center who can do it all, he, Benn, and Eakin will give Dallas an incredibly deep team down the middle for a significant part of their future.
8th Darnell Nurse Defender None Your prototypical Broadstreet Bullies' pick, he'll be the heir to Pronger's throne as the #1 defender in the city of Brotherly Love. His gritty, rough play meshes well with the team, and he's got the talent to be a #1 for many years in the future.
9th Hunter Shinkaruk Winger Down 2 A stud winger with top 5 talent, he falls due to a lack of franchise potential, but by no means is he a bad pick up. He'll be an excellent asset of the opposite wing of Kane, giving the Jets one of the most dynamic lines in the NHL in the future.
10th Anthony Mantha Winger Up 10 After trading Erat for Forsberg, the Predators begin to amass quite an impressive young winger group. Mantha may have some off-ice issues, but his talent makes this pick more than worth it.
11th Alex Wennberg Winger Up 4 A very diverse and dynamic player, he fits the bill for what Tippett wants in a player perfectly. If he hits his potential, he'll be in the mold of Loui Eriksson, a player Phoenix would covet.
12th Rasmus Ristolainen Defender Down 3 One of three top defenders to fall after a run on forwards, Washington is very happy to add Ristolainen to an already stacked defensive core. He possesses shades of OEL, and could turn out to be the steal of the draft this low.
13th Ryan Pulock Defender Down 2 The second defender to fall, Columbus would obviously rather go with a forward, but Pulock is easily the BPA at 13th. An incredibly talented offensive defender with a bomb of a shot, he and Murray will make for quite the pairing in the future.
14th Nikita Zadorov Defender Down 2 Taking quite a fall, the Devils are ecstatic to add such a talented young defender to their logjam of marginal defensive talent. He and Larsson should stand head and shoulders (literally) above the rest of their defensive core.
15th Curtis Lazar Center Up 2 A local young center, his stock has fallen heavily since the start of the year, but he's surging back up the charts late in the season. A kid they've been scouting a lot (most likely), he'll look very good in their top 9 down the road, adding to an impressive young core.

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 04-05-2013 at 10:27 PM.
LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Pick Team Player Position Change in Position Reasoning
16th (via NYR) Adam Erne Winger Down 6 A talented winger, he'll help to replace the depth they recently traded away for star winger Marian Gaborik. He's got a bright future in their top 6 and looks to be a good scoring winger with a defensive touch.
17th Frederick Gauthier Center Down 3 A huge, diverse center, he can do it all. Projecting as their #3 center in my opinion, he'll be elite at that position, similar to Martin Hanzal. He'll also be able to play top 6 minutes if Strome were to get bumped up to Tavares' wing. Regardless, they've got a great pick in Gauthier.
18th (via STL) Josh Morrissey Defender Down 2 Another defender who's taken a bit of a tumble, the talent-stricken Flames are very happy to add another quality prospect to Drouin to help replenish their weak prospect pool. Both of these players will make huge strides in Calgary's future and where they look to be headed.
19th Robert Hagg Defender Up 2 Pretty much a perfect pick for Detroit. A dynamic offensive defender, he'll add to a young blue-line with a bright future including Brendan Smith, Xavier Ouellet, and Ryan Sproul among others. His offense and PPQB'ing skills will go a long way towards the Red Wings getting back on top.
20th Bo Horvat Center Down 1 Too talented to pass up at 20th, the Senators add a potential #1 center, possibly Spezza's future replacement. With Spezza, Zibanejad, Turris, and now Horvat down the middle, the Senators look set to only keep improving and become Stanley Cup favorites down the road.
21st (via MIN) Zach Fucale Goaltender Up 1 An easy pick to be made after they likely trade Ryan Miller, Fucale will battle Hackett to gain the #1 goaltending spot. Both players are legit prospects and should be starters, but Hackett lacks the elite potential Fucale possesses. Regardless, this pick almost assuredly means that Buffalo will be set in goal for the future.
22nd Max Domi Center Down 4 Even though the Leafs look to finally have some solid center depth after Kadri's emergence, there's no way they pass up on Tie Domi's son. It also helps that he's the BPA here. Not sure where he'll fit in going forward, but I'm sure Toronto will find him a spot.
23th Ryan Hartman Winger Up 1 An extremely hard-working American winger with some good speed and all-around play, Hartman will help add some stability to their winger group which seems to change every other shift. He'll be at worst a good 3rd liner looking ahead, and San Jose needs to start adding some talent to their barren prospect pool.
24th (via LAK) Artturi Lehkonen Winger Down 1 The first real pick that has the Kekalainen label, Lehkonen has some great offensive talent and will add to a prospect pool lacking in good forwards. His offense and ability to play all across the lineup is something Columbus will be eager to add.
25th Morgan Klimchuk Center Up 1 While they don't really need another center, there's not much I think they do need. Their depth at the NHL level is just ridiculous, and they have the luxury of being able to go BPA with every pick. Klimchuk will add to the fight for #3 center with Schroeder and Gaunce, giving them even better depth and skill down the middle.
26th (via BOS) Madison Bowey Defender NR With the Stars' preference for WHL players, and the way Kelowna has been chugging out legitimate defensive prospects, Bowey looks like the pick for Dallas. A RHD shot too, he adds to a ridiculously deep defensive pool, giving Dallas' backend an incredibly bright future.
27th Andre Burakovsky Winger None After taking a bit of a fall, he finally finds a home in Montreal, as they're happy to add a big, talented winger to their deep prospect pool.
28th Kerby Rychel Winger Up 1 The Ducks take a risk on a guy who could be a steal if he turns out. A high risk, high reward player with a lot of skill, but there's questions about whether his game will translate to the NHL.
29th (via PIT) Jason Dickinson Center NR A player who's beginning to attract some attention, the Flames take a gamble on him, as he may seem like a bit of a reach, but he's got great potential and could end up being a steal for Calgary.
30th Nicolas Petan Center NR A very small but extremely talented player, he adds to the many prospect centers the Hawks have as they continue in their pursuit to find a legit #2 center.

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 04-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Working on reasonings for the 2nd half as you read, just wanted to get the order up now.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:20 PM
stayinalive

good mock, only thing is that Zykov should be in the Top 30.

stayinalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
good mock, only thing is that Zykov should be in the Top 30.
Really torn on him. He'd be at 31 for sure. Just so much depth towards the bottom 10 that there are always gonna be guys who should be in the 1st that aren't.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
No way is Columbus taking Erne over Gauthier, Zykov, Horvat or Hartman at that position. Also no way is Edmonton taking a center, they need more good defenseman in depth and someone who can score on the PP, aka Pulock.

I don't think Columbus takes Lehkonen at that spot either as Burakovsky, Dickenson and Rychel are all available. Rychel is going to be a lot higher then people think, I'm betting on that right now.

Everything else looks pretty kosher though.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
No way is Columbus taking Erne over Gauthier, Zykov, Horvat or Hartman at that position. Also no way is Edmonton taking a center, they need more good defenseman in depth and someone who can score on the PP, aka Pulock.

I don't think Columbus takes Lehkonen at that spot either as Burakovsky, Dickenson and Rychel are all available. Rychel is going to be a lot higher then people think, I'm betting on that right now.

Everything else looks pretty kosher though.
Erne is better than all of those players you listed outside of maybe Horvat who I'm just not a big fan of.

Lehkonen is also a better pick than any of those guys. And really, I'm trying my best to go BPA, as that's often what you see in the actual draft as opposed to how most of us focus on positions. Phoenix and Nashville were the only two where I caved and gave them forwards.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Shouldn't the 26th pick belong to Boston? The condition is them making the Conference Finals, which would be either the 27th or 28th pick.

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:05 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

I like it from a Calgary perspective. I know many Flames fan's would be upset that we passed on Barkov, but Drouin in my opinion projects to have a better career. I also think that he has the ability to play center at the NHL level in the mould of a Giroux.

Morrissey is a strong offensive puck mover which we currently lack in our pipeline, and he is a Calgary kid to boot.

Dickinson is a little raw as it stands now, but he is a big body with an extreme upside if everything pans out.

All in all, I think you did a good job in regards to Calgary.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Shouldn't the 26th pick belong to Boston? The condition is them making the Conference Finals, which would be either the 27th or 28th pick.
Shush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I like it from a Calgary perspective. I know many Flames fan's would be upset that we passed on Barkov, but Drouin in my opinion projects to have a better career. I also think that he has the ability to play center at the NHL level in the mould of a Giroux.

Morrissey is a strong offensive puck mover which we currently lack in our pipeline, and he is a Calgary kid to boot.

Dickinson is a little raw as it stands now, but he is a big body with an extreme upside if everything pans out.

All in all, I think you did a good job in regards to Calgary.
Yea, Drouin and Barkov is really a toss up IMO. I'm not too sold on Drouin, but I wasn't sold on Huberdeau either, and he's proving me wrong. I thought Calgary did pretty well after I got done with this.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:25 AM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

If this is how the draft goes down and we get Jones at #1 and Zykov at #31, I will be very happy.

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:41 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBadkitten View Post
If this is how the draft goes down and we get Jones at #1 and Zykov at #31, I will be very happy.
Don't think it could get any better for Colorado.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:43 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I'll guarantee right now that Bo Horvat doesn't become a 1st line centre in the NHL. I love his game, he just doesn't have the talent IMO.

As far as the Hawks, I'd rather Chicago take J.T Compher if he's available (as he is in your mock) or a talented Dman.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Water Knight

Ducks get Kerby Rychel, looks good to me

Water Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'll guarantee right now that Bo Horvat doesn't become a 1st line centre in the NHL. I love his game, he just doesn't have the talent IMO.
He could be a first line center on the right team, or hell if he develops his offensive game he'd be one of the most complete players in the nhl, he can do everything very well and i imagine that someone would like that enough to put him on the 1st line.

@Latvian
Alright, BPA is one thing, but I'm not even sure those are the
best players. Pulock is better than Lazar imo at least. l also actually do think all the other players are better than you think too, the recent nhl scouts mock draft re enforced my opinion that they're underrated. But oh well, :p

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:21 AM
hlaverty06

Again, with the Devils current forward situation, there is no way in hell we are taking a D. It's the best LW/RW available.

Greene-Larsson is going to be our top pairing for sure, Whatever combo of Fayne, Volch, Salvador, Zidlicky, and Tallinder comes after that I'm not sure.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:27 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Again, with the Devils current forward situation, there is no way in hell we are taking a D. It's the best LW/RW available.

Greene-Larsson is going to be our top pairing for sure, Whatever combo of Fayne, Volch, Salvador, Zidlicky, and Tallinder comes after that I'm not sure.
Zadorov is only gonna fall so far.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:28 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
He could be a first line center on the right team, or hell if he develops his offensive game he'd be one of the most complete players in the nhl, he can do everything very well and i imagine that someone would like that enough to put him on the 1st line.

@Latvian
Alright, BPA is one thing, but I'm not even sure those are the
best players. Pulock is better than Lazar imo at least. l also actually do think all the other players are better than you think too, the recent nhl scouts mock draft re enforced my opinion that they're underrated. But oh well, :p
I don't really get what you're trying to say. Pulock is above Lazar... Not sure what you mean by other players as well.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:42 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Don't think it could get any better for Colorado.
They make an exception to allow Connor McDavid to be drafted before the second round starts

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Tough call with the Canes if that's where we select. On one hand, Monahan would give unreal center depth, on the other hand I think the fanbase would collectively lose its **** if we took a forward given that our top 6 is secure for the next while and our defense is absolutely porous without much chance of getting to where it needs to be without a high pick like Zadorov or Nurse at #6.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Tough call with the Canes if that's where we select. On one hand, Monahan would give unreal center depth, on the other hand I think the fanbase would collectively lose its **** if we took a forward given that our top 6 is secure for the next while and our defense is absolutely porous without much chance of getting to where it needs to be without a high pick like Zadorov or Nurse at #6.
That pick was really hard for me. There weren't any defensemen I thought would be worth #6, but I didn't think Monahan was much of a need either.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
They make an exception to allow Connor McDavid to be drafted before the second round starts
I honestly wonder if we'll ever see something like this happen? Not the second round of course, but a player of such calibre granted exceptional status to the NHL draft. As it stands right now, i'm sure majority of the GM's would take McDavid 1st overall THIS YEAR.. I see no harm in allowing a player to do so.

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:20 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I honestly wonder if we'll ever see something like this happen? Not the second round of course, but a player of such calibre granted exceptional status to the NHL draft. As it stands right now, i'm sure majority of the GM's would take McDavid 1st overall THIS YEAR.. I see no harm in allowing a player to do so.
It only really makes sense in developmental leagues.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:07 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

I've mentioned on a few mocks that i would be happy to see the Oil take Lazar, especially if we end up drafting in the mid round.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Morry83
14-90-91

If we do get Boston's first, as much as I like Bowey, I think we'd take any of the four after him. We really just don't need anymore defensemen. Great mock though. I like the selection of Lindholm!

Morry83 is offline   Reply With Quote