Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2013-14 Season Thread

By request, transitioning to the off-season thread for the Steelheads...

Old
05-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Torts

Thanks a lot Gardien,

As for what the Steelheads will do in the offseason, Im not sure but here is my best bet at a potential mock roster for next year.

Bourne - Smoskowitz - Burnside
MacIntyre -IMPORT PICK - Gerhart
Barwell - Foy - Babinstev
Goldberg - Kopstals - Cobbold
Teskey - Backus - Venuto

HM: Berton, Ratcliffe, Doef, Filson

Day - Carrick
Diodati - Welsh
Graves - Zottl
Bell

HM: Walsh, Di Tomaso, Duschesne, Gibson, Duggan

Martin
Teichmann - If they don't keep one of the other OA's
Carty

Old
05-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Unless one of those young guys takes a huge leap......this will be a very boring year offensively. I'm more interested in what the organization will do off the ice outside of trying to get corporate sponsorships.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:14 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Unless one of those young guys takes a huge leap......this will be a very boring year offensively. I'm more interested in what the organization will do off the ice outside of trying to get corporate sponsorships.
Well for starters...move.

JK.....now that Brampton have left a spare 800 fans wandering the junior landscape ole Missy should of scooped them all up and their in rink sponsors.

Getting big name sponsors for junior in GTA is lost cause.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Thanks a lot Gardien,

As for what the Steelheads will do in the offseason, Im not sure but here is my best bet at a potential mock roster for next year.

Bourne - Smoskowitz - Burnside
MacIntyre -IMPORT PICK - Gerhart
Barwell - Foy - Babinstev
Goldberg - Kopstals - Cobbold
Teskey - Backus - Venuto

HM: Berton, Ratcliffe, Doef, Filson

Day - Carrick
Diodati - Welsh
Graves - Zottl
Bell

HM: Walsh, Di Tomaso, Duschesne, Gibson, Duggan

Martin
Teichmann - If they don't keep one of the other OA's
Carty
Do you think Teskey will be back? I don't think Cobbold will be 4th line, Teichmann probably gone as Martin will get most of the games with Carty or whoever else they can pick up getting the balance.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:54 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Do you think Teskey will be back? I don't think Cobbold will be 4th line, Teichmann probably gone as Martin will get most of the games with Carty or whoever else they can pick up getting the balance.
Barwell, Gerhart and Day is the start to a very nice core!

Old
05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Totally agree. Only one offensive threat left. Smosky is more of a finisher than a set up guy, who will set him up? Should trade him for draft picks as he would be very appealing to a team like Sudbury who could really use him. Campagna would finally have the winger he hasn't had since the 2 of them played together as kids on the Mississauga Senators.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:40 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Totally agree. Only one offensive threat left. Smosky is more of a finisher than a set up guy, who will set him up? Should trade him for draft picks as he would be very appealing to a team like Sudbury who could really use him. Campagna would finally have the winger he hasn't had since the 2 of them played together as kids on the Mississauga Senators.
I agree its in their best interest to trade Smoskowitz for younger players or draft pics. Teskey and Graves may be on the chopping block this summer. Doubt they bring Teich back as an OA, Carty seems more likely at this moment unless he has a terrible camp.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I agree its in their best interest to trade Smoskowitz for younger players or draft pics. Teskey and Graves may be on the chopping block this summer. Doubt they bring Teich back as an OA, Carty seems more likely at this moment unless he has a terrible camp.
No sense wasting an OA spot on a back up goalie on a rebuilding team. Let Carty play. Can't see Teskey back, Graves maybe, he's the tough guy in the lineup.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:44 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
No sense wasting an OA spot on a back up goalie on a rebuilding team. Let Carty play. Can't see Teskey back, Graves maybe, he's the tough guy in the lineup.
Where did Carty play this year? Last I heard he was trying out for Georgetown.

Ive always liked Dawson Carty. He was stuck behind Herbst on that 96 Rebels team but when he played, he really opened my eyes. Especially in the GTHL finals when Herbst missed one game. They didnt lose much with him in net that night in a pressure game, he was outstanding. I thought with minimal opportunites he did excellent. I thought Robson and Hackett, benifitted from team exposure, I thought Dawson Carty, Brandon Klerer, Jason Rhynold and Liam Herbst were the best '96 goaltenders in the GTHL.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:58 PM
ProspectHunter

How big of a rebuild is expected by the Steelheads? They are losing a few important, key pieces, but this was a team that just snuck into the playoffs last year, so is this year going to be a big step back or are people expecting a year similar to last?

Old
05-22-2013, 12:40 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectHunter View Post
How big of a rebuild is expected by the Steelheads? They are losing a few important, key pieces, but this was a team that just snuck into the playoffs last year, so is this year going to be a big step back or are people expecting a year similar to last?
Losing Cord and Brace hurts them but if they lose Demelo and Percy like expected its a huge step back. Three of those defensemen are not easy to replace. Losing Brace really hurts their offense, they are going to need other forwards to step up. I still expect them to make the playoffs but it will probably be around lower seeds in the Conference.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Losing Cord and Brace hurts them but if they lose Demelo and Percy like expected its a huge step back. Three of those defensemen are not easy to replace. Losing Brace really hurts their offense, they are going to need other forwards to step up. I still expect them to make the playoffs but it will probably be around lower seeds in the Conference.
Unless some trades are made I don't see any playoffs on the horizon. 1 scorer and 1 good d-man left.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:52 PM
chewerjones

Missy's brass is expecting all 4 top picks to make the team this year.

Day, Barwell, Gerhart an Doef. Doef was very impressive at the recent Gold Cup and may be there best pick behind day this year.

They will be hard pressed to make the playoffs this year, but with some goaltending and some young competitors, it may happen.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
superspitfan99

So I'm guessing the consensus is that Demelo and Percy should be gone in some way or another. OA's would be Foy, Smosk, Diodati?

1st and 4th rounders have signed already so it's likely they will get their fair share of icetime seeing that it's another rebuild year.

Hopefully Welsh and Zottl work on their skating over the summer otherwise defensively we may be in trouble. Had a little laugh when they interviewed Day who said he likes to be an offensive defenseman.....in for a tough year then when he realizes that he's on the wrong team for that and they will beat that instinct out of him quickly.....he'll learn to go no farther than the blue line in the offensive zone!

Offensively, let's hope they find players that can hold their own and find the back of the net more often than not.

Still think it was stupid and I think it hurt the team mentally not to trade at least one of (Demelo/Percy/Brace) at deadline last year.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
So I'm guessing the consensus is that Demelo and Percy should be gone in some way or another. OA's would be Foy, Smosk, Diodati?

1st and 4th rounders have signed already so it's likely they will get their fair share of icetime seeing that it's another rebuild year.

Hopefully Welsh and Zottl work on their skating over the summer otherwise defensively we may be in trouble. Had a little laugh when they interviewed Day who said he likes to be an offensive defenseman.....in for a tough year then when he realizes that he's on the wrong team for that and they will beat that instinct out of him quickly.....he'll learn to go no farther than the blue line in the offensive zone!

Offensively, let's hope they find players that can hold their own and find the back of the net more often than not.

Still think it was stupid and I think it hurt the team mentally not to trade at least one of (Demelo/Percy/Brace) at deadline last year.
Foy is no better than a 3rd line checker and Diodati is a 5th or 6th d-man. Not nearly enough for OA players, only Smosky is legit.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Foy is no better than a 3rd line checker and Diodati is a 5th or 6th d-man. Not nearly enough for OA players, only Smosky is legit.
Smosky is only legit if he has line mates to feed him the puck. Look at him for instance, give him a top line and he's good, bury him (like his former team did) and he does nothing. Yes he can put the puck in the net, but if a team shuts him down he's useless as was the case in the playoffs.

As for Foy and Diodati, if they are that bad, then why not just trade them? Neither of them were allowed consistent play with consistent line mates (like Smosk was). Could they have shown better if playing with top players? Have they or any of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players been developed to their potential. We all know that Missy has been pretty much a one line team for the past couple of seasons.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Torts

Where I stand, if Foy and Diodati are taking ice time from good young players, no sense keeping them. However if there isnt someone to step in then whats the worst case scenario keeping them. I'd don't actually hate the idea of keeping Kontos on as an OA, he's played top 6 minutes and hopefully can improve a little bit.

I cant stress how irate and pissed off I was when they didnt make moves at the deadline. Percy, Brace and DeMelo (with the year he was having) could have fetched a ton. This is solely why I believe Boyd should not be back but it looks like he will. O well.

They signed Everett Clark (90th ovr, 2012 draft) today so that plus Barwell, Doef and Gerhart seem to be a good group of younger forwards.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:27 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Where I stand, if Foy and Diodati are taking ice time from good young players, no sense keeping them. However if there isnt someone to step in then whats the worst case scenario keeping them. I'd don't actually hate the idea of keeping Kontos on as an OA, he's played top 6 minutes and hopefully can improve a little bit.

I cant stress how irate and pissed off I was when they didnt make moves at the deadline. Percy, Brace and DeMelo (with the year he was having) could have fetched a ton. This is solely why I believe Boyd should not be back but it looks like he will. O well.

They signed Everett Clark (90th ovr, 2012 draft) today so that plus Barwell, Doef and Gerhart seem to be a good group of younger forwards.
Burnside and Bourne will have to breakout in a big way for the steelheads to make the playoffs.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Burnside and Bourne will have to breakout in a big way for the steelheads to make the playoffs.
Thats the truth but it's not too far fetched. We've all seen 2nd year and 3rd year players breakout and really help out a team.

This fan is just praying this happens ahah

Old
05-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Garyboy

Any Steelhead fans who haven't seen Sean Day play, and are interested in getting a look at him, here's a game between Detroit Compuware abd Shattuck St. Mary's from last season. He's #4, in case anyone isn't sure. Enjoy.

http://reelhockeyscouting.com/catego...t-minor-games/

Old
05-24-2013, 08:31 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Thats the truth but it's not too far fetched. We've all seen 2nd year and 3rd year players breakout and really help out a team.

This fan is just praying this happens ahah
Burnside most likely yes, Bourne....just don't see it. I know last year was his rookie year, but I'm just not impressed. I think he's gotten by on his size and unless his skating gets ALOT better during the off season, this fan isn't optimistic on that one.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Burnside most likely yes, Bourne....just don't see it. I know last year was his rookie year, but I'm just not impressed. I think he's gotten by on his size and unless his skating gets ALOT better during the off season, this fan isn't optimistic on that one.
I've said that since peewee.....

Old
05-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Smosky is only legit if he has line mates to feed him the puck. Look at him for instance, give him a top line and he's good, bury him (like his former team did) and he does nothing. Yes he can put the puck in the net, but if a team shuts him down he's useless as was the case in the playoffs.

As for Foy and Diodati, if they are that bad, then why not just trade them? Neither of them were allowed consistent play with consistent line mates (like Smosk was). Could they have shown better if playing with top players? Have they or any of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players been developed to their potential. We all know that Missy has been pretty much a one line team for the past couple of seasons.
Foy doesn't have good hands. He had good icetime all year. He's fine in a checking role. Smosky got buried on the 4th line in Barrie after a good ( 21 goals) rookie year. Coach there prefers run and gun players. Against Belleville , Burnett told his players ( I know for a fact ) to watch Brace and Smosky because the Steelheads didn't have much more up front.
You won't get much for Foy or Diodati. The 93 crop of OA's is deep. There will be quite a few available who are better than both of them.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:35 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I agree with u on Bourne also. I think overall his season was not very impressive given his high selection. I guess the thing that jumps out in recent years, is inconsistency and lack of strength. If his hockey career doesnt work out, he will be fine. He is an academic genius. He has lots of potential, coaches must give him a role to flourish. I think he will perform better with players that have more skill. He has some under rated playmaking skills. Im starting to wonder if he doesnt like contact. Part of that could be his wirey frame. With added weight, he could be a real beast out there.

Closed Thread