HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2013, 10:16 PM
  #276
clearwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
If you mean last year's playing time, and not how they actually played during that time, and how that effects what I expect from players the following year: Not much.

I do however try to take into account where players will be in the line up as well as how they played the previous year in coming up with what I'll be expecting from players.

Alexeev got mainly 3rd and 4th line minutes last year and I was expecting a 45-55 pt season from him this year. And so far he's on pace for that.

Meanwhile Lindberg got the same type of time and I was expecting a 30-35 pt season. He doesn't look like that kind of player right now. But that could change.

From watching Sadowy and Addison last year I was expecting something like 25 and 20 pts respectively.

I've said this before (multiple times): I'm not expecting Addison to breakout til next year.

Addison can be a good player but he needs a little polishing. Far from a finished product at this point.
Also, Kingpin. Lindberg hasn't been given ice time and opportunities this year. When you start comparing kids, compare apples to apples, some kids are getting opportunities and some are not. Some of these kids would thrive on other teams and they may just need a change of scenery

clearwater is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:21 AM
  #277
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Also, Kingpin. Lindberg hasn't been given ice time and opportunities this year. When you start comparing kids, compare apples to apples, some kids are getting opportunities and some are not. Some of these kids would thrive on other teams and they may just need a change of scenery
Clearwater, thank you, this is what I've been saying all along begining last year. It seems that this is the MO of this team. There are two groups, the ones that are given the opportunities and the ones that are not. A change of scenery becomes a problem when you've shelved a player for a few seasons. Now who wants to take a chance on a player that was not given the opportunity to develop? There are approximately 2-3 Saginaw Spirit drafted players in each birth year that are given the opportunity. For instance IMO:

94's Kea, Trafford (3rd/4th line), Ringuette (2nd year he packed his bags and was waiting for a trade)

95's Moutrey, Lodge (requested a trade before moving up to 1st line last season), Alexeeve (import always plays regardless)

96's Prophet, Sadowy

Not counting Goalies


Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 10-25-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:55 AM
  #278
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Clearwater, thank you, this is what I've been saying all along begining last year. It seems that this is the MO of this team. There are two groups, the ones that are given the opportunities and the ones that are not. A change of scenery becomes a problem when you've shelved a player for a few seasons. Now who wants to take a chance on a player that was not given the opportunity to develop? There are approximately 2-3 Saginaw Spirit drafted players in each birth year that are given the opportunity. For instance IMO:

94's Kea, Trafford (3rd/4th line), Ringuette (2nd year he packed his bags and was waiting for a trade)

95's Moutrey, Lodge (requested a trade before moving up to 1st line last season), Alexeeve (import always plays regardless)

96's Prophet, Sadowy

Not counting Goalies
Lopez requested a trade last season, and Perklin did this season which did not pan out. But as you said if you aren't going to play kids it gives you a short hand when you are trying to trade them.


Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 10-25-2013 at 03:02 AM.
NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 10:58 AM
  #279
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
The future looks bright for the spirit, with the abundance of 96 and 97 born players.
The top line, Locke Kontos and Lodge need to learn how to play in their own end. Coach Gilbert stated he wants players to put defense first and not be selfish. IMO some players are putting themselves first thinking points are the best indication of how you are playing. There are way to many turnovers, it doesnt matter who you are playing with if you cant get the puck out of your own end, or you constantly turn the puck over at the blue line; Payne has been a victim of turnovers for the past few games thats why he was a healthy scratch.
The first and second year players dont see any pp time and its the worst in the league !
May see after Christmas some movement to focus on the next two years.
Sonny Crocket has a negative spin on everythibg spirit and has it out for the coaches but he needs to look ahead. Spirit will be a championship team in two years ! Sonny will probably have given up his season tickets and KingPin will be able to drive by then.

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:07 PM
  #280
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy View Post
Sonny Crocket has a negative spin on everythibg spirit and has it out for the coaches but he needs to look ahead. Spirit will be a championship team in two years ! Sonny will probably have given up his season tickets and KingPin will be able to drive by then.
Really??? It's the facts and I can't believe that your making comments about Payne. Who are you to say why he was a healthy scratch? From what I can see, your interest began with the Prospects of 2013 so are you a family member or a friend of one of the rookies? Spirit fans have been looking ahead for a few seasons all ready and its the same excuse every year. Once again every other team will bypass the Spirit, Sarnia is doing it by loosing players!

It's not the players it's Gilbert. He's been fired from almost every team he has ever coached!

Dale Hunter is the owner, president and coach of the London Knights. The Spirit are owned by an investment group so what is their motivation?


Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 10-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:43 PM
  #281
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Not a family member or friend. But ask around the rink why certain players are playing and why certain players are not. Ask the right people Sonny and you will get the answers. As far as projections go. Look at the roster of the Spirit and other teams. The Spirit are one if the youngest teams in the league. They have had two good drafts and some good trades. They are close to being a serious contender. Gilbert wants the players to play the pro game as per his interview. Which means learning how to play in your own end. If a players does not buy in then they sit. Is that not accountability ?
If your a fan you should be supporting the team. You are entitled to your opinion and you have an obvious issue with the current coach so I will throw it back on you to assume that you are a family member as suggested in an earlier post ??

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  #282
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy View Post
If your a fan you should be supporting the team.
Everytime I renew my season tickets I show my support and I'm getting really tired of lip service. What's your excuse newbie?

Wake up, they were close to being serious contenders a few years back and every year after that was a rebuild.


Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 10-25-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:22 PM
  #283
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Lopez requested a trade last season, and Perklin did this season which did not pan out. But as you said if you aren't going to play kids it gives you a short hand when you are trying to trade them.
I saw an interesting post in the Sarnia thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
But teams can and DO punish kids/agents for this stuff sometimes by ostracizing them after the trade request, giving their ice time/opportunities to others who appear to wanna stay, etc. Right now they aren't really paid players, have virtually no rights in a lot of instances and have invested a lot of money and their whole life to try and make it a career.

Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
  #284
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Tomorrow night is the annual breast cancer awareness game. Along with special pink jerseys, Prophet and Moutrey will be sporting pink hair. Jerseys will be auctioned off after the game.

Kingpin794 is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 05:36 PM
  #285
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Tomorrow night is the annual breast cancer awareness game. Along with special pink jerseys, Prophet and Moutrey will be sporting pink hair. Jerseys will be auctioned off after the game.
Last year I tried to encourage men to wear pink ties !! The women embrace the evening perhaps us fellas do the same !

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 04:40 PM
  #286
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Positive response from Spirit last night. Great to get a win. The puck seemed to be bouncing off the pink sticks last night. Top 2 lines, Locke-Kontos-Lodge and once Gilbert reunited traffird-kea-shadowy they provided the jump needed. Gilbert matched lines last night and the 3rd line bratina-Stephens-moutrey, 4th line Addison-lindberg-alexeev did their job matching up. Payne was scratched close to game for illness.
Interested to see when he returns what the 3rd and 4th lines will look like.
IMO Alexeev is a top 6 fwd, doesn't seem to fit the 3rd and 4th line checking role. Perhaps consideration for trade and upgrade with defensemen. A lot of 1 on 1 losses by spirit defenders.. Paterson gave the Spirit a chance to win last night.
I would give Moutry-Stephens-Payne another chance with Addison-lindberg and bratina as the 4th. For young centre men lindberg and Stephens have been defensively responsible which should allow Payne Moutry and Bratina a chance to cheat a bit offensively. However Gilbert seems to be a defensive minded coach.
Water downed 1$ beer on Wednesday night ! Lol

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
  #287
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Stayed after to watch the jersey auction. Here is what they went for:

Lindberg-800 (with stick)
Orban-300
Holmes-350
Sefton-400
Kea-600
Kontos-1000 (with stick and game puck)
Trafford-500 (with stick)
Moutrey-550 (with stick)
Ringuette-400
Paterson-1200 (with stick)
Alexeev-550
Bennett-400
Glass-500
Payne-450
Locke-800 (with stick)
Lodge-500 (with stick)
Callaghan-450 (with stick)
Sadowy-500 (with stick)
Bratina-500 (with stick)
Stephens-550 (with stick)
DeSousa-500 (with stick)
Prophet-650
Addison-750 (with stick)
Serebryakov-700 (with stick)

Kingpin794 is online now  
Old
10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
  #288
clearwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy View Post
Positive response from Spirit last night. Great to get a win. The puck seemed to be bouncing off the pink sticks last night. Top 2 lines, Locke-Kontos-Lodge and once Gilbert reunited traffird-kea-shadowy they provided the jump needed. Gilbert matched lines last night and the 3rd line bratina-Stephens-moutrey, 4th line Addison-lindberg-alexeev did their job matching up. Payne was scratched close to game for illness.
Interested to see when he returns what the 3rd and 4th lines will look like.
IMO Alexeev is a top 6 fwd, doesn't seem to fit the 3rd and 4th line checking role. Perhaps consideration for trade and upgrade with defensemen. A lot of 1 on 1 losses by spirit defenders.. Paterson gave the Spirit a chance to win last night.
I would give Moutry-Stephens-Payne another chance with Addison-lindberg and bratina as the 4th. For young centre men lindberg and Stephens have been defensively responsible which should allow Payne Moutry and Bratina a chance to cheat a bit offensively. However Gilbert seems to be a defensive minded coach.
Water downed 1$ beer on Wednesday night ! Lol
Moutrey and Payne are top 6 forwards and will be back there soon, just getting some tough love from the coach. Strongly disagree with rookie Steven's up the middle. That's when their production went. south, they need a veteran centreman, not a rookie!

clearwater is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  #289
clearwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy View Post
Not a family member or friend. But ask around the rink why certain players are playing and why certain players are not. Ask the right people Sonny and you will get the answers. As far as projections go. Look at the roster of the Spirit and other teams. The Spirit are one if the youngest teams in the league. They have had two good drafts and some good trades. They are close to being a serious contender. Gilbert wants the players to play the pro game as per his interview. Which means learning how to play in your own end. If a players does not buy in then they sit. Is that not accountability ?
If your a fan you should be supporting the team. You are entitled to your opinion and you have an obvious issue with the current coach so I will throw it back on you to assume that you are a family member as suggested in an earlier post ??
Actually, I heard they are going for it this year with the core of 94's and 95's because they will be losing some strong players next year and won't be as strong with there 96's and 97's. It's a long year Mr Easyover and lines will change many times, it doses every year.

clearwater is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 09:48 AM
  #290
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Actually, I heard they are going for it this year with the core of 94's and 95's because they will be losing some strong players next year and won't be as strong with there 96's and 97's. It's a long year Mr Easyover and lines will change many times, it doses every year.
Agree with a few points. Perhaps moving Stevens to the wing ? or moving Moutry and Payne back with Kea ?

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 10:11 AM
  #291
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Actually, I heard they are going for it this year with the core of 94's and 95's because they will be losing some strong players next year and won't be as strong with there 96's and 97's. It's a long year Mr Easyover and lines will change many times, it doses every year.
I think they have enough depth up front whatever the mix may be . Seriously need to figure out what is happening on defense. Kinda reminds me of what's going on in London.

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 11:16 AM
  #292
clearwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Our defence is our Achilles heel. We have toughness but we need skilled D-man that have good puck skills, vision and make great first out passes, instead of panicking and ripping the puck off the glass, flipping it in the air or icing it. I like Sefton and Ringuette as D but they are not top 2 who should be on first line and fist power play.

clearwater is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
  #293
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Our defence is our Achilles heel. We have toughness but we need skilled D-man that have good puck skills, vision and make great first out passes, instead of panicking and ripping the puck off the glass, flipping it in the air or icing it. I like Sefton and Ringuette as D but they are not top 2 who should be on first line and fist power play.
Agree with you. Transition is a big part of the game and that initial pass is huge.
Again the future looks bright with Orban, Holmes, Prophet, DeSousa with Malancon and Scott in the system. Yes Sefton and Ringer are solid D but they dont have that "take over the game" ability. Aaron Ekblad and Rolly McKeown are studs. Both 96 born defensmen who play upwards of 20 minutes. WE NEED ONE
There are not a lot of high quality D available for trade, London will be looking desperately. Are there any European D in the system that they can persuade ?
Spirit have Strong goaltending and depth up front, but....

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
  #294
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Jordan Subban out of Belleville or Jesse Graham out of Niagara come trade deadline would be the only D-men that IMO would be worth pursuing.

That being said, if they offense can play up to their skill level on a consistent basis, which hasn't happened yet, then it COULD make up for the sub par D at the moment.

Alternate solution to a trade: Bring up Marcus Crawford for a game or two and see how that goes.


Last edited by Kingpin794: 10-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Kingpin794 is online now  
Old
10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
  #295
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
I forgot about Marcus Crawford. Hes playing some good minutes in tierII this year. Reports have him being a puck moving pp specialist. Problem for right now is that he is a 97 birth

Overeasy is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 01:52 PM
  #296
Overeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay city
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Kingpin. Teams are only as good as their defense and goalies. Again I love bringing up the knights who have a tonne of offence but they are in a defensive crisis.
Forewards have to but into coaches system and Gilbert is a defense first coach. He made a career as a shut down fwd in the show.

Overeasy is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 01:47 PM
  #297
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Owen Sound tonight. The Soo tomorrow. I smell a trap game.

Kingpin794 is online now  
Old
11-02-2013, 01:44 PM
  #298
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
We've played well the last 2 games. And now it's Paterson vs Murray. This should be good!

Kingpin794 is online now  
Old
11-03-2013, 04:23 PM
  #299
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Well looks like Nathan Glass is headed to the Q. Don't know what team though at this point. He had been a healthy scratch the last few games. Holmes has been a regular and plays a similar style at a similar skill level at a younger age. He might have made Glass expendable.

From Cody Payne:

@paynercjc: We lose another soldier to the q @glasser20 good luck my man see you at Christmas"

Good luck to Nathan wherever he ends up.


Last edited by Kingpin794: 11-03-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Kingpin794 is online now  
Old
11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
  #300
EON 93
very ok poster
 
EON 93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Richmond
Country: United States
Posts: 5,308
vCash: 400
Yes good luck to him. Never really thought he was that great of a dman but hopefully he finds a spot on wherever he's going.

On a side note, whats up with the Q picking up all these scraps from the OHL? this has got to be the 3rd or 4th player this year that cleared waivers in the OHL and signed with a QMJHL team.

EON 93 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.