*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcspragu View Post
Saginaw cant trade the 97 defenseman this year as they weren't first round picks. Not to mention they will get plenty of ice time next year on what looks like a rebuilding team with Sefton, Ringuette, Callaghan, and Graham all potentially gone.
Sorry, you're correct. What about the 96's who don't play?

Old
12-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Carins has been one of the hardest working players on the Spirit since he was dealt here. Moved up though the lines and is starting with Kontos and Lodge. Not sure how he is off the ice but he seems pretty good on it.
Exactly. Haven't seen him play a lazy game yet.

Old
12-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

It just seems like for every good trade Paliafito makes, he make a head scratcher that cancels it out.

So possible centers next year include:

Lodge (listed as a center)
Alexeev
Stephens
Bennett
Rajic, Bales, Rookies

Seems like we're a little thin there now.

Old
12-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Sonny Crockett

Quote:
Not to mention they will get plenty of ice time next year on what looks like a rebuilding team with Sefton, Ringuette, Callaghan, and Graham all potentially gone.
Saginaw said the same thing to a few players in the past and it didn't happen. There is no opportunity for these young players in Saginaw. They give that opportunity to older players that they acquire from other teams. The funny thing about the trade is that they were able to get a couple of draft picks for a player that barely saw the ice while at the begining of the season they got nothing for the players that they released.

Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 12-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old
12-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Overeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
It just seems like for every good trade Paliafito makes, he make a head scratcher that cancels it out.

So possible centers next year include:

Lodge (listed as a center)
Alexeev
Stephens
Bennett
Rajic, Bales, Rookies

Seems like we're a little thin there now.
Sadowy is a natural centre. Carter a 97 playing jrb is a good prospect drafted from Sun County.
I see it as Sadowy and Stephens up the middle next year if Gilbert still here. Both play Gilbert's style, defence first !
There is a lot to be optimistic for in the next two years.

Old
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy View Post
Sadowy is a natural centre. Carter a 97 playing jrb is a good prospect drafted from Sun County.
I see it as Sadowy and Stephens up the middle next year if Gilbert still here. Both play Gilbert's style, defence first !
There is a lot to be optimistic for in the next two years.
Future does not look good. Total rebuild with players moving on and players asking to be traded.

Old
12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Future does not look good. Total rebuild with players moving on and players asking to be traded.
Cairns-Stephens-Lodge
Trafford-Sadowy-Moutrey
Bratina-???-Addison
97/Rookie line

Prophet-Callaghan
Holmes-De Sousa
Crawford-Orban

Serebryakov
Ovsjannikov

Just a quick idea for next year since you brought it up. Wouldn't call it total rebuild but there are some holes to fill.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:19 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Cairns-Stephens-Lodge
Trafford-Sadowy-Moutrey
Bratina-???-Addison
97/Rookie line

Prophet-Callaghan
Holmes-De Sousa
Crawford-Orban

Serebryakov
Ovsjannikov

Just a quick idea for next year since you brought it up. Wouldn't call it total rebuild but there are some holes to fill.
Like I said, future not looking good.

Old
12-16-2013, 10:30 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Carins has been one of the hardest working players on the Spirit since he was dealt here. Moved up though the lines and is starting with Kontos and Lodge. Not sure how he is off the ice but he seems pretty good on it.
I have to say I am surprised to hear that but good for him though. He always had so much talent but he rarely put forth any defensive effort and half the games just went through the motions during his time in Erie.

Old
12-17-2013, 07:07 AM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I have to say I am surprised to hear that but good for him though. He always had so much talent but he rarely put forth any defensive effort and half the games just went through the motions during his time in Erie.
Way to early for judgement, most kids give it all when first traded. Time will tell.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Overeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
When he stops playing Defensive hockey. He will stop playing for the Spirit. But he is on the Top 2 lines so he can do what he wants.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Cairns-Stephens-Lodge
Trafford-Sadowy-Moutrey
Bratina-???-Addison
97/Rookie line

Prophet-Callaghan
Holmes-De Sousa
Crawford-Orban

Serebryakov
Ovsjannikov

Why would Bratina, Addison or DeSousa want to stay? They should all be asking for trades with the way they are treated.

They just gave up a ransom for Graham. Where is he going? Don't think he's going pro.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:53 AM
willy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Saginaw said the same thing to a few players in the past and it didn't happen. There is no opportunity for these young players in Saginaw. They give that opportunity to older players that they acquire from other teams. The funny thing about the trade is that they were able to get a couple of draft picks for a player that barely saw the ice while at the begining of the season they got nothing for the players that they released.
Have to agree. You trade for older "suspect" players at the expense of players you drafted - then you give these new players more opportunities than ones you drafted - why would a kid agree to play in Saginaw - I am sure the GM told/promised the families the world & how great the team will be.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:02 AM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Have to agree. You trade for older "suspect" players at the expense of players you drafted - then you give these new players more opportunities than ones you drafted - why would a kid agree to play in Saginaw - I am sure the GM told/promised the families the world & how great the team will be.
Also why most of the top picks eventually ask to be traded.

Old
12-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Sonny Crockett

Quote:
Cairns-Stephens-Lodge
Trafford-Sadowy-Moutrey
Bratina-???-Addison
97/Rookie line

Prophet-Callaghan
Holmes-De Sousa
Crawford-Orban

Serebryakov
Ovsjannikov

Great wish list but there is one problem with it, almost all the players on your list except the new players acquired have all asked to be moved. The future is not bright for the Saginaw Spirit because of the way that they choose to treat players. This team exploits and manipulates its draft picks. Why would you promise the world to a draft pick knowing that what your telling him is a lie. It's happened over and over again. If you look at the Spirit's track record the next player to be moved or released will be Addison. You have to be kidding yourself adding Crawford to your list. There is no future here for Crawford or any other young player. If Crawford is smart he'll ask to be traded to a team that develops players especially D men.

Garber needs to sell this team and stop using it as advertising for his various businesses!

Old
12-17-2013, 04:53 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Great wish list but there is one problem with it, almost all the players on your list except the new players acquired have all asked to be moved. The future is not bright for the Saginaw Spirit because of the way that they choose to treat players. This team exploits and manipulates its draft picks. Why would you promise the world to a draft pick knowing that what your telling him is a lie. It's happened over and over again. If you look at the Spirit's track record the next player to be moved or released will be Addison. You have to be kidding yourself adding Crawford to your list. There is no future here for Crawford or any other young player. If Crawford is smart he'll ask to be traded to a team that develops players especially D men.

Garber needs to sell this team and stop using it as advertising for his various businesses!

First round pick Anthony Camara's hockey excelled when he got traded to Barrie in his third year. He was never given opportunities to succeed with the Spirit.

Old
12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
First round pick Anthony Camara's hockey excelled when he got traded to Barrie in his third year. He was never given opportunities to succeed with the Spirit.
Anthony hated his time in Saginaw. He wanted out long before he got traded.

Old
12-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Overeasy

I still think people are surprised when they see Saginaw. The rink has great atmosphere in my opinion. Just think expectations were to high this year because if the playoff run last year. The team is still not the GMs team until the next draft. It will be interesting if they decide to make a youth movement, then perhaps you may see a young coach like Keefe, Smith, Knaublock and others.

Old
12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Hfbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy View Post
I still think people are surprised when they see Saginaw. The rink has great atmosphere in my opinion. Just think expectations were to high this year because if the playoff run last year. The team is still not the GMs team until the next draft. It will be interesting if they decide to make a youth movement, then perhaps you may see a young coach like Keefe, Smith, Knaublock and others.
I think all folks are highly efficient experience and capable.

The fall out on the issues here I am sure were predictable by an experience hockey group.

So question is how much of this is OHL/CHL normal issues or how much is unique to this club.

Understand it's recruiting time but - can someone that has been around for a while enlighten me/us.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Overeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfbid View Post
I think all folks are highly efficient experience and capable.

The fall out on the issues here I am sure were predictable by an experience hockey group.

So question is how much of this is OHL/CHL normal issues or how much is unique to this club.

Understand it's recruiting time but - can someone that has been around for a while enlighten me/us.
Bottom line. The OHL is a business and is moving away from a development league. Players entering the league as 16 yrs olds may be a bit young. Teams seem to be less patient because they need to win, which is what we are seeing in Saginaw.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Sonny Crockett

After the Saginaw Spirit sell off the farm they may as well get rid of the whole staff and start over!

Old
12-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

This season is over. Sell sell sell.

Old
12-20-2013, 07:51 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
This season is over. Sell sell sell.
You just traded all your picks for Graham?!

Old
12-20-2013, 07:57 PM
EON

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
You just traded all your picks for Graham?!
its not working

Old
12-20-2013, 08:04 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
its not working
Ha, I know. They have no chance with Guelph, Erie and London anyways. What's up with Locke?

Closed Thread