08-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
If Locke does not coming back it will be a huge loss,hard to replace

Spirirt need to add to the D to be amongst the elite
As it stands I think our D is good enough to win the division but I agree we need to add another high end D man to really challenge London. I'd like to see us go after Alex Basso now, although London will be going for him too.

Old
08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
As it stands I think our D is good enough to win the division but I agree we need to add another high end D man to really challenge London. I'd like to see us go after Alex Basso now, although London will be going for him too.
Way off topic...but curious about your nic....is it the motorcycle you ride?

Old
08-23-2013, 09:44 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Without Strong and Young,coupled with the possible loss of Locke I dont think Saginaw has enough to win the division despite having one of best goalie tandems in the league
Dont get me wrong,Saginaw has some fine young talent and are poised to be a factor,but I feel if Locke does not return and thats an if,with what I see is a weakness on D they would be hard pressed to win the Division

Old
08-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Without Strong and Young,coupled with the possible loss of Locke I dont think Saginaw has enough to win the division despite having one of best goalie tandems in the league
Dont get me wrong,Saginaw has some fine young talent and are poised to be a factor,but I feel if Locke does not return and thats an if,with what I see is a weakness on D they would be hard pressed to win the Division
True but IMHO the OHL West Conference is filled with a bunch "meh" type teams that could be slotted in anywhere from 4 to 9 and none would surprise me.
The two teams that I think will be in 2nd and 3rd (flip flop them if you wish) is Saginaw and Guelph.
Im conceding 1st to London but Saginaw need an upgrade on D and Guelph needs a goalie. I think it's probably easier upgrading on D than in G for the Spirit to get 2nd.
Does this year seem like a relative down year for quality goalkeeping let alone any good goalies that could be available?

Old
08-23-2013, 10:06 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
True but IMHO the OHL West Conference is filled with a bunch "meh" type teams that could be slotted in anywhere from 4 to 9 and none would surprise me.
The two teams that I think will be in 2nd and 3rd (flip flop them if you wish) is Saginaw and Guelph.
Im conceding 1st to London but Saginaw need an upgrade on D and Guelph needs a goalie. I think it's probably easier upgrading on D than in G for the Spirit to get 2nd.
Does this year seem like a relative down year for quality goalkeeping let alone any good goalies that could be available?
I was thinking the same thing re quality goaltending for this coming year,in my view goaltenders will be a premium commodity,if u have one dont give him up
As for Saggy or Guelph I would give the edge to Guelph especially if Locke does not return,goaltending you are right appears to be a need in Guelph

Old
08-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing re quality goaltending for this coming year,in my view goaltenders will be a premium commodity,if u have one dont give him up
As for Saggy or Guelph I would give the edge to Guelph especially if Locke does not return,goaltending you are right appears to be a need in Guelph
Not side track this thread but Guelphs forwards 1 through 12 is right up there....with an edge to London.

Now lets' drop the damn puck!

Old
08-23-2013, 10:18 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Not side track this thread but Guelphs forwards 1 through 12 is right up there....with an edge to London.

Now lets' drop the damn puck!
I agree re Guelph and their forwards,Saginaw not far behind if Locke comes back

Old
08-23-2013, 11:58 AM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
With The possibility of Saginaw having one overage player on the roster (if Locke doesn't return) it could be concerning. I think the Defense is weak. If you bring in a guy like basso and maybe someone like Abraham from Erie it could be a quick fix and add experience for a decent price. Abraham will be cheap is add a much needed skill element to the backednd. Prolly cost you a late pick assuming erie gets rid of him oppose to McDowell.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:16 PM
hockeyohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
With The possibility of Saginaw having one overage player on the roster (if Locke doesn't return) it could be concerning. I think the Defense is weak. If you bring in a guy like basso and maybe someone like Abraham from Erie it could be a quick fix and add experience for a decent price. Abraham will be cheap is add a much needed skill element to the backednd. Prolly cost you a late pick assuming erie gets rid of him oppose to McDowell.
I think Erie will keep McDowell, he is very good on the power play but week on D,as for Abraham no up side at all to bring him here,he will be lucky to make Erie's team. As an O/A you need to be a top player not a bottom one.I would develop some of the younger D and may trade for a Top D after the season begins onces you see how the team is playing.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Way off topic...but curious about your nic....is it the motorcycle you ride?
No motorcycle. It's actually a bowling reference. It's the name I went with a few years back when I started posting on the Spirit board. When I came to post here, I just decided to keep the name. It's also the same name I use on twitter. (Haha! Shameless plug for followers)

Old
08-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

I would expect Locke back this year. Who was the last player who was drafted the 2nd or 3rd time through who could come back as an OA that played in the AHL? Tanner Pearson is the last guy I can think of but he was a first round pick. I might be forgetting some, but I don't think it happens too much.

I also think back to Josh Shalla who couldn't crack the AHL after scoring 47 goals the previous season. (Although there were questions about his skating and D).

That being said, IF Locke does stick in the AHL, that would be a huge loss. More so from a leadership perspective, which is very tough to replace, than from an offensive perspective.

Last edited by Kingpin794: 08-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old
08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Couldn't make it out to the first scrimmage today. If you couldn't either and you're on twitter, follow Cory Butzin. He had updates from earlier today. Also he was answering questions about specific players if you asked him.

Also from looking at the rosters he posted here are some of the guys that are at camp that were not listed on the preliminary roster:

TJ Melancon-D (2012 draft)
Ryan Tuffin-F (forgot he was still in our system)
Lucas Martellacci-F (2012 draft)
Christian Rajic-F
David Ovsjannikov-G
Adam McPhail-F
Jackson Bales-F
Marcus Crawford-D (Signed)
Matthew Scott-D

Old
08-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Minor trade today:

Saginaw trades D-man Rylee McKinnon (257th overall in 2011) to the Pete's for a conditional 15th round pick in 2015.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:42 AM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyohl View Post
I think Erie will keep McDowell, he is very good on the power play but week on D,as for Abraham no up side at all to bring him here,he will be lucky to make Erie's team. As an O/A you need to be a top player not a bottom one.I would develop some of the younger D and may trade for a Top D after the season begins onces you see how the team is playing.
I wouldn't say no upside, not saying he's elite but in 3 years he has a .33 point per game average (better than McDowells PPG average) without ever seeing the first PP unit. Sag just doesn't have that skill element since the young incident and they'll need PP help. But who knows what will happen just browsing ideas to help this team. At the end of the day if you want an elite OA or older defenseman you will have to give up a good player. This would just be a trade worth taking a chance on because his offensive skills would help with costing maybe a late round pick.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:30 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyohl View Post
I went to camp yesterday, and I wouldnt be too sure of this. Abraham looked very good. He was skating well and carried the puck with confidence, him and Dermott formed a good looking pair. It was only one viewing and I think McDowell still has the edge but I wouldn't be shocked if we traded McDowell because he probably carries slightly more value on the market and held on to Abraham.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:24 AM
bcspragu

Went to the 6pm scrimmage last night. Here are some things I noticed:

Moutrey has slimmed down a bit. Can see that it has helped his skating a ton. Looks really good out there.

Paterson is an absolute monster. Shutout last night on 20 something odd shots. Made some super athletic saves.

Christan Rajic (208th overall this year) is a smart kid. Never looked out of position and wasnt afraid to go to the front of the net. Will never see the OHL at his size though. Callaghan was ragdolling him whenever he touched him.

Watch out for Kris Bennett this season. Hardest working player of the game. Skated hard and made chances for himself most of the game.

Stephens flashed his speed at times and scored on a gimmie rebound off a Subban slapshot.

As much as people rag on Subban he is possibly the best person to QB our pp with Young gone. Made good passes in the offensive zone and really can fire the puck on net.

Payne always seemed to have the puck on his stick for team white. Big kid used his body well to keep defenders off. Will put up big points and pims this season. Good role model for Moutrey if he can start playing a similar game.

Orban and Holmes both look to be good positionally sound defenders. Orban is a big thick kid for 16. Both did get beat wide once, but the 2 fwds that did it where Locke and Trafford so they make most dmen look slow. Both should be good adds this season.

Crawford. Smaller kid but can skate. Pure offensive defense man. Should see some games this season.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

For what it's worth, Marcus Crawford is now listed on the roster on the team site. Looks like our 8 d-men are set for now.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcspragu View Post
Went to the 6pm scrimmage last night. Here are some things I noticed:

Moutrey has slimmed down a bit. Can see that it has helped his skating a ton. Looks really good out there.

Paterson is an absolute monster. Shutout last night on 20 something odd shots. Made some super athletic saves.

Christan Rajic (208th overall this year) is a smart kid. Never looked out of position and wasnt afraid to go to the front of the net. Will never see the OHL at his size though. Callaghan was ragdolling him whenever he touched him.

Watch out for Kris Bennett this season. Hardest working player of the game. Skated hard and made chances for himself most of the game.

Stephens flashed his speed at times and scored on a gimmie rebound off a Subban slapshot.

As much as people rag on Subban he is possibly the best person to QB our pp with Young gone. Made good passes in the offensive zone and really can fire the puck on net.

Payne always seemed to have the puck on his stick for team white. Big kid used his body well to keep defenders off. Will put up big points and pims this season. Good role model for Moutrey if he can start playing a similar game.

Orban and Holmes both look to be good positionally sound defenders. Orban is a big thick kid for 16. Both did get beat wide once, but the 2 fwds that did it where Locke and Trafford so they make most dmen look slow. Both should be good adds this season.

Crawford. Smaller kid but can skate. Pure offensive defense man. Should see some games this season.
I think Glass is going to be another guy to help be a PP QB this year too. I also remember Prophet getting a bit of PP time last year. He seemed to move the puck relatively well for a stay at home guy.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:20 PM
bcspragu

Quote:
I think Glass is going to be another guy to help be a PP QB this year too. I also remember Prophet getting a bit of PP time last year. He seemed to move the puck relatively well for a stay at home guy.
I don't have the rosters from the game in front of me but on whatever team Subban was on he was the PP qb for the power play until Stephens scored. Crawford should get time there when he is dressed as well.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Saginaw trades for Justin Sefton.

@BrownRecord: Short stay in London for Justin Sefton, shipped to Saginaw for a 15th pick, third and sxith if he plays a game.

6 foot 3, 230 lbs. Seemd to fit the mold as far as the type of D-man Gilbert is looking for. Although with what London fans said about him, a 3rd and a 6th might be a bit much. Probably could have got Dunnick for the same price. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:59 AM
RayzorIsDull

Did the Spirit move Webermin? He's not listed on their roster anymore.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Did the Spirit move Webermin? He's not listed on their roster anymore.
Him and Strong are both going to headed to college this year instead of playing in the OHL.

Last edited by Kingpin794: 09-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
09-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Saginaw trades for Justin Sefton.

“@BrownRecord: Short stay in London for Justin Sefton, shipped to Saginaw for a 15th pick, third and sxith if he plays a game.”

6 foot 3, 230 lbs. Seemd to fit the mold as far as the type of D-man Gilbert is looking for. Although with what London fans said about him, a 3rd and a 6th might be a bit much. Probably could have got Dunnick for the same price. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good.

Sefton I believe while not the fleetest of feet it was only accentuated that much more by the Knights system. Whats that sports saying...."Horses for courses?"
Plus in general the Knights fans tends to "eat and devour" certain players.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:47 PM
aresknights

I think in the right system with the right D partner, Sefton can still contribute to an OHL team. Just not as a top 3 or 4.
It didnt work out in London, just not a good fit, but I hope he fits in with the Spirit.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Sefton I believe while not the fleetest of feet it was only accentuated that much more by the Knights system. Whats that sports saying...."Horses for courses?"
Plus in general the Knights fans tends to "eat and devour" certain players.
Hahahaha, Sefton, Aliu, Maroon, Martin, Martinelli.....

Decent trade for both teams. Diff system might workout for Sefton. Picks are actually decent enough to repackage for our run.

Closed Thread