HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Deadline Grade

Old
04-05-2013, 03:01 PM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Sabres Deadline Grade

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/04/05/bu...adline-grades/

Drew Stafford is still on this team and that is a punishable offense.

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:07 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Yep, we should have just gave him away no matter what the highest bidder was offering. That'd have been great asset management.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:07 PM
DixonWard15

they are not going to buy out drew stafford, regier is patient enough to wait for the right trade

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:13 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Shipped out 2 vets for a good return, got astounding value for Pominville.

He gets an A. B+ at worst.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
they are not going to buy out drew stafford, regier is patient enough to wait for the right trade
Which could very well be the rumored deal around Burmistrov come this summer. Most GM's aren't short-sighted enough to ignore Stafford's entire body of work. Some fans on the other hand....

04-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

If the summer return on Stafford is likely better, than so be it. The Sabres do need to fill 4 lines and with even Luke Adam up, the potential forwards are limited.

Ron C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:16 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

If the Sabres are compared to what the rest of the league accomplished on deadline day, they get an A.

If they are compared to one's wild and creative imagination on what they feel should have been done, well that's not really fair now is it?

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Prospector74

A+. We moved part of the core and got great value for what was moved out. I would like to see Stafford, Miller, and Vanek dealt in the offseason but can see us retaining Stafford if there is no value coming back the other way (we will definitely have the cap space). Having said that, hopefully he heats up for the run in and value goes up. Why move Staff for nothing and have to replace him with an overpriced stopgap UFA to get us through the next 2 years while the kids come up? We already have that in Staff now.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Jeremy2020

I think they shipped out some players they needed to ship out and got a fantastic return. Sometimes, you have to rip the band-aid off.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Which could very well be the rumored deal around Burmistrov come this summer. Most GM's aren't short-sighted enough to ignore Stafford's entire body of work. Some fans on the other hand....
FWIW, the report(s) about Burmistrov being difficult to coach completely turns me off to acquiring him. Less of those players, not more. Bump up Stafford's trade value and deal him for a D-man or a 2nd and 4th.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:36 PM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

To those getting a bit snarky at my assessment of Stafford: I'm clearly being hyperbolic because I don't like the guy. Obviously, I'd like them to get a real asset for him.

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Hockeymad

As much as I think Darcy needs to go, his acumen constructing trades is damn high. He got good value for each piece he traded. Once Ruff was canned, it was only a matter of time that the captain he named would have to go. Pomminville will be missed, but it was necessary. I think the best thing this deal does is create "pressure in the development pipeline", which is something we have not had for a long time. Larrson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia (and others) have talent to challenge for spots next year. I think one of the reasons our top six forwards have been so streaky (exhibit A: Drew Stafford), is there really has not been anyone pushing them down on the farm. Now, whoever is coaching this team next year, will have some legitimate options when things are getting funky with our top 6.

Hockeymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:06 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
If you think Stafford has no value, you're being extremely short-sighted and naive.

Stafford still has 2 years left, so there should not have been any urgency to move him at the deadline. He is also likely to get more interest in the summer, only enforcing the lack of urgency.

Finally, they do need warm bodies to ice a team. Why trade away a guy like Stafford, who isn't hurting the team right now, now when you don't need to and screw your farm club even further in the process?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Hellinator
Rookie User

This a tough one for me. Great value of the guys he did trade but Stafford still being here is complete fail. He serves no purpose on the team. What was his value supposed to be being scratched for games and demoted to 4th line duty some nights? On the morning of the deadline wgr reported trades were heating up on Stafford that 3-4 teams were interested and the fact that nothing came of them is one persons fault. Waiting till summer is not going to increase his value. Players value is more at the deadline and draft picks are worth more at the draft when player values go down. With Millers and TV's contracts I can understand why teams have to adjust their roster in the off season to accommodate but Stafford's contract was not outrageous. That was why teams were interested. C+

Hellinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Maybe so - although Hamilton said several media members in other cities told him that some teams think the Sabres messed Stafford up and that, in a new setting, he can become a regular 25-30 goal scorer.

If that's true - along with the reports from TSN that 4-5 teams were interested in Stafford - then I think there's a good chance Regier will be able to unload him on someone for either a decent prospect or high draft pick.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Maybe so - although Hamilton said several media members in other cities told him that some teams think the Sabres messed Stafford up and that, in a new setting, he can become a regular 25-30 goal scorer.

If that's true - along with the reports from TSN that 4-5 teams were interested in Stafford - then I think there's a good chance Regier will be able to unload him on someone for either a decent prospect or high draft pick.
Yeah, I don't think he's going without it being a hockey deal. He looks like he could be a good fit for the 'Peg opposite Kane, certainly.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote