HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort: Return to Innocence Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
It's really not that simple. No one wants to have an abortion, but it's often the best choice in a bad situation. Forcing a woman to be pregnant for 9 months if she does not want to have a child and never intended to get pregnant is wrong. Furthermore, there's no medical basis to imply that a fetus is a human being, especially in the early stages. And the natural extension of the "it could become a child" argument is that a woman should be forced to get pregnant every month, since the egg she's developed "could become a child".

Sorry to get a bit rant-y about this, but it's a topic that can get me worked up.
This is what I was thinking. It is all well and good to say if it just wasn't worth the time, but there are a lot of instances where, imho, abortion is the correct way of thinking.

Say you didn't know you were pregnant and continued to smoke and drink for another 4 months. How fair is it to that baby that it most likely will be severly handicaped?

What if your pregnancy shows the child has severe disabilities? Is it right to put someone through a life time of pain and misery?

Without abortion you've got kids who accidently get pregnant and the end up birthing and hiding the fetus at home. People who intentionally drink and do drugs to "get rid of it". At least this is the safest alternative.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Hope all is going well, Elusive Derpasaurus.

I have three dogs. My oldest (6 years, now, but this was a year ago) blew out both the ACLs in her hind legs last year. Could barely walk and needed some very expensive surgery to fix the damage.

I was taken aback by the people - friends and family alike - that just advocated putting her down. The thought had never crossed my mind; she was completely healthy apart from the hind legs. Worst case, I would have fashioned a crude little cart for her to wheel herself around in. But I ended up paying for the surgeries.

Every now and again, someone still grumbles to me about it - but she's a member of my family and it was my choice.

Not really a point to it all, other than to say that dogs (and any pets we bring home) are part of the family. I hope your dog pulls through.
Yeah, hope you doggie will be fine ED.

My first dog got into my neighbours yard late one night. When she tried to put it back in our yard, she basically dropped it over the fence breaking its legs...Had to put him down.

But the stained glass hanging she got for my....mom...sure made up for killing MY dog...

Theres almost nothing I wouldn't do for my new doggie Sadie.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Given the sensitive nature of the subject being discussed - and not saying that it's gotten there yet - let's end the discussion on abortion, please.

Thank you.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Yeah, hope you doggie will be fine ED.

My first dog got into my neighbours yard late one night. When she tried to put it back in our yard, she basically dropped it over the fence breaking its legs...Had to put him down.

But the stained glass hanging she got for my....mom...sure made up for killing MY dog...

Theres almost nothing I wouldn't do for my new doggie Sadie.
Yeah, I had my first two dogs before I started having kids. I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering being a parent - the first few weeks especially are a pretty good "poor man's version" of having a newborn. The puppy whimpering through the night, going to the bathroom everywhere, getting up multiple times a night to take it out into the yard...

They really are like kids. Dogs are smart, and they are the first friends my boys have ever had. When Canucklehead 1 wakes up in the morning, the first thing he does is call for his favorite of the dogs (Ohlund) to come and play at the foot of the bed.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

^^

What kind of dogs?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
^^

What kind of dogs?
They're all mutts. Two shelter rescues, and one of them bought from a local lady whose dog had puppies.

The oldest - Chase - is a mix of German Shepherd, Greyhound and something else that was small. Before she blew her legs out, she was the fastest dog I'd ever seen. She can't tear around like she used to, unfortunately. She very much acts the part of the eldest; she'll periodically snap the other two dogs into line. She watches TV, too, which is hilarious - especially when an animal comes on the screen. Next up is Linden - she's a part corgie, part sheltie. She's one year younger than Chase. She's wonderful with kids - terrific on a leash, soft to the touch, very snuggly and loves to lick - all the things little ones love. She's got an edge to her, though, when it comes to playing with the other dogs. Finally, there's our youngest - Ohlund. I have a nickname for him that isn't appropriate on here. He's huge - the biggest of the three, and only one year old. Friendly as can be, but possibly the biggest klutz I've ever seen when it comes to dogs. When he runs, you can hear his feet pound the pavement. He's a part black lab, part something else - Mrs. C figures Bull Mastif, but I don't think he's big enough for that. He seems to love playing with Chase the most - in a hilarious turnabout, I glanced out the window the other day and saw Chase "dominating" Ohlund outside. I guess we know who's the boss.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Pip

They sound great, and better yet sound good with kids which is obviously really important. I have a puppy King Corso, and it is the clumsiest dog I have ever seen

Old
04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
You guys are bringing back to my moral philosophy class; incidently, I had to read both Marquoi and Warren.

What's next, terrorism vs. conventional war?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
You guys are bringing back to my moral philosophy class; incidently, I had to read both Marquoi and Warren.

are they freedom fighters using guerrilla warfare for the greater good, or terrorists harming innocent people? Depends on who's writing the History books

Old
04-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
are they freedom fighters using guerrilla warfare for the greater good, or terrorists harming innocent people? Depends on who's writing the History books
Do you WANT to read my paper on this?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:57 AM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Seriously guys all these debates, Abortion/Euthanasia/War v Terrorism, can be boiled down to the simplest terms ie:

Coke or Pepsi.

If you chose Pepsi you are wrong. Not that I know which applies to which in any given situation, but if you chose Pepsi you are wrong

Edit: Funny story, I was explaining to my friend that Million Dollar Baby was really about Euthanasia, and he said "Who cares about kids in Asia?".

Old
04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Pip

Coke, no question about it, diet pepsi is pretty good though.

Quote:
Do you WANT to read my paper on this?
Oh I have written plenty on the subject

Old
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin
Edit: Funny story, I was explaining to my friend that Million Dollar Baby was really about Euthanasia, and he said "Who cares about kids in Asia?".
Million dollar baby? Asia? Sounds like Brangelina got into a bidding with Madonna.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
My cat's name is Sadie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Given the sensitive nature of the subject being discussed - and not saying that it's gotten there yet - let's end the discussion on abortion, please.

Thank you.
Wow. How the hell did it get to that?

Old
04-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Intoewsables
real gudbranson

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Seriously guys all these debates, Abortion/Euthanasia/War v Terrorism, can be boiled down to the simplest terms ie:

Coke or Pepsi.
Neither.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
My cat's name is Sadie.
Mine is named Theodore

Old
04-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Mine is named Theodore
That's my middle name.

The cats I had before were named Tugger and Mungo.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Pip

Quote:
That's my middle name.

The cats I had before were named Tugger and Mungo.
I also have one named Tig, which fits him really well

Old
04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
My cat's name is Sadie.

Sadie seems to be very common. I wanted to name her Swayze, but whatever.

The most civil debate yet, gets shut down

Old
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Elusive Derposaurus
Best Dino Alive

Thanks for all the support guys, really needed it.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:53 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

"Everything is going to be fine." says Sadie.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:36 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:

So, I wonder if the validity of Just War Theory, and the relative importance of Jus ad Bellum and Jus in Bello (or is it the other way around?) is a less touchy subject? Maybe that's our next debate?

Quote:
Rules are rules, that's why we have the political board. I think in general the mods on the Nucks board do a good job of exercising judgement with regards to discussing stuff that's technically not allowed. Although I'm pretty convinced most people here can discuss issues like this without taking it too personally, arguments on the internet tend to escalate very quickly.

It is kind of ironic though since we all get way more worked up about whether Garisson is a top-pairing d-man than we do about the morality of abortion.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Pip

Quote:
So, I wonder if the validity of Just War Theory, and the relative importance of Jus ad Bellum and Jus in Bello (or is it the other way around?) is a less touchy subject? Maybe that's our next debate?
Would be up for it

Pretty sure you have it the right way

Quote:
Rules are rules, that's why we have the political board. I think in general the mods on the Nucks board do a good job of exercising judgement with regards to discussing stuff that's technically not allowed. Although I'm pretty convinced most people here can discuss issues like this without taking it too personally, arguments on the internet tend to escalate very quickly.

It is kind of ironic though since we all get way more worked up about whether Garisson is a top-pairing d-man than we do about the morality of abortion.
Exactly, I understand if this thread is not supposed to touch the controversial issues, especially when there is a politics board. It only takes one person to overreact before things get out of hand so it makes sense.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Is that the paper with the "famous violinist" thought experiment? I remember reading that in undergrad.
No, that's a paper by Judith Thomson, which is definitely a great read.

Quote:

No kidding. I think we should just let our emotions cool and discuss the Hodgson trade some more

What are we doing for the next thread? We're on the verge of closing this one and don't have a topic for the next

Old
04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Pip

We need topics!!!!

Closed Thread