HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
London wins 3-2 at 19:59 of the 3rd !!!!
Fantastic, great comeback in this series by the Knights

Going to be dam fun watching the Memorial Cup with 3 of our best prospects involved

Old
05-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Burgs

The Pens showcasing native junior players is something every market does, it doesn't really mean much once the draft comes up. The dark age Pens of the early 2000s probably would've drafted Saad as a feel-good story to sell to the fans but today's Penguins team doesn't need PR-inspired drafting.

The knock on Saad was that he was a bit of a floater who might never show enough passion to reach his full potential. Does that sound like "Penguins hockey"? For better or for worse, Shero and a lot of other GMs passed on him, and then he surprised everyone once he was with the Hawks. Good for him and Chicago, I'm a bit bummed we missed out but those things happen all the time.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
TheBeardofJustice

I don't know the status on Hartzell from Quinnipiac, if he is on the baby pens or not, but I think he will play a big role in the future. Hopefully we also get a new goalie coach
Edit: he only has a deal that lasts pretty much to the end of this season. I really hope we can sign some sort of deal with him to further evaluate.

Last edited by TheBeardofJustice: 05-14-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old
05-14-2013, 09:49 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crosbinator View Post
I don't know the status on Hartzell from Quinnipiac, if he is on the baby pens or not, but I think he will play a big role in the future. Hopefully we also get a new goalie coach
Edit: he only has a deal that lasts pretty much to the end of this season. I really hope we can sign some sort of deal with him to further evaluate.
He'll definitely be re-signed, he'll be platooning with Zatkoff in WBS next year.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
@farwell590
The #OHL has awarded the 2014 Memorial Cup to London. Last night's Leafs loss was shocking. This news is not.

@farwell590
For those keeping score at home, that will be back-to-back-to-back Memorial Cup appearances for London, with auto berth as host next year.
three straight years of Memorial Cup action for Määttä could prove invaluable!

Old
05-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Jacob

Definitely. There's really nothing like the NHL playoffs, but it's great that our top prospects have so much big game experience under their belt.

Pouliot's been to the WHL finals three years in a row, too.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Sjb141

Re: the pouliot/Campbell comp. I think (from what I've heard) that if you're looking at best case scenario you're expecting dp to give you way more d value than Campbell. Not to say that Campbell's not a good player but I think dp's potential ability in his own zone is underrated (still).

Old
05-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Malkinstheman

Does anybody have any information on anthony brodeur? Does he have any real potential to be an nhl player or will a team take a flier on him because of his name?

Old
05-15-2013, 12:24 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
The Pens showcasing native junior players is something every market does, it doesn't really mean much once the draft comes up. The dark age Pens of the early 2000s probably would've drafted Saad as a feel-good story to sell to the fans but today's Penguins team doesn't need PR-inspired drafting.

The knock on Saad was that he was a bit of a floater who might never show enough passion to reach his full potential. Does that sound like "Penguins hockey"? For better or for worse, Shero and a lot of other GMs passed on him, and then he surprised everyone once he was with the Hawks. Good for him and Chicago, I'm a bit bummed we missed out but those things happen all the time.

Everything you say is true, but the fact of the matter is Chicago was able to take this "risk" on this player because of the sheer number of draft picks they had in that year. There's no coincidence that if you look at the teams with some of the deepest groups of good young talent in the league, it's the teams who end up with multiple 1st/2nd/3rd round picks, and make good use out of them. It's easy to miss in the draft if you only have a few picks, but it's hard to miss when you have so many.

It's just a probability game, and it allows such teams to take chances on a player. Detroit is another great example, when you look and see how much talent they have coming down the line with the 2nd/3rd/4th picks they've had the last few years, and Minnesota is another good one. That's part of why I would love to see us make some quick and bold moves after this season and recoup some picks for guys we may have to move like Orpik, Fleury and Kennedy, and/or trade the rights of guys we cannot/don't want to re-sign (i.e. Morrow, Murray, whoever).

Old
05-15-2013, 02:40 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crosbinator View Post
A lot of guys like him sign a 1yr deal and sign a better deal when they are RFA, he is ineligible to play in WBS this year and for the Pens in the playoffs this year, so he's just a "Black Ace" right now with the other guys like Jeffrey, Bennett, etc, helping when they can't play. Of course in their case, they can.

I am all for a new goaltending coach though, Fleury needs a guy that has a new look on his style, fresh eyes if you will. Might be the only way to salvage his career, that or he turns his game around the next time he starts. But even for the future, for guys like Zatkoff, Murray, Maguire, and Hartzell.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

So Monday May 20th is the big game, London vs Portland. Can't wait

I think Portland will win it all beating Halifax in the Finals

Old
05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
JagrLangStraka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjb141 View Post
Re: the pouliot/Campbell comp. I think (from what I've heard) that if you're looking at best case scenario you're expecting dp to give you way more d value than Campbell. Not to say that Campbell's not a good player but I think dp's potential ability in his own zone is underrated (still).
I have never seen him play but I was hoping DP was going to be our Brian Leetch. Any chance of that happening or I am way off?

Old
05-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
I wonder if we could offer Mathias Niederberger (Barrie's goaltender) something. Obviously, I'm biased and he will be quite a project but for someone that went undrafted, he has posted some pretty impressive numbers in the OHL...
Niederberger signed with Munich today. What an idiot. Enjoy your 4 games a year behind Reimer. Or a loan to the 2nd division to get 10 games there playing behind another vet.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Jacob

Wilkes-Barre has their own goalie coach anyway, Mike Bales.

I just don't know how Gilles Meloche can't be at least a decent goalie coach, considering how long he's been around the game and the position. Maybe he's not some technical guru like the Allaires, but just because Fleury bombs in the playoffs, I don't know if that's enough evidence for me to think that Meloche can't teach/coach.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Niederberger signed with Munich today. What an idiot. Enjoy your 4 games a year behind Reimer. Or a loan to the 2nd division to get 10 games there playing behind another vet.
Is it common for players who are European to go back to Europe if they're undrafted and fail to get a contract from an NHL team?

I'd guess that it's quite common.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Jacob

Man I'd go for the Japanese league and get some of that hot asian tail, Endicott-style.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:34 PM
IRONCITY63
Rookie User

I want to see hartzell play

Old
05-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Wilkes-Barre has their own goalie coach anyway, Mike Bales.

I just don't know how Gilles Meloche can't be at least a decent goalie coach, considering how long he's been around the game and the position. Maybe he's not some technical guru like the Allaires, but just because Fleury bombs in the playoffs, I don't know if that's enough evidence for me to think that Meloche can't teach/coach.
Mike Bales was only brought in recently (summer, 2011). Until then, Meloche was the goalie coach for both WBS and Pittsburgh. In fact, he has been the goalie coach or consultant for the Pens for over 20 years (he was the "goaltending consultant" during the first two Cup wins). In that time, the Pens have developed a rather alarmingly small number of goalies.

Frankly, I can't understand how he alone has survived all of the coaching changes over the years, when it's a position that the Pens have not had a great deal of success with over that time.

If nothing else, it seems like a new voice and perspective may be in order.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Frankly, I can't understand how he alone has survived all of the coaching changes over the years, when it's a position that the Pens have not had a great deal of success with over that time.

If nothing else, it seems like a new voice and perspective may be in order.
Pretty sure he and Mario are tight. IIRC, Mario, Marc Bergevin and Meloche (years earlier than the other two) all played for the same local pre-junior team and grew up around the same area of Montreal. Think Meloche was also the first guy from that particular team to make it to the NHL as well. Then take in the connection of both playing for the Pens and Meloche's long-standing role in the organization despite the team's lack of quality goalies during that time and it's not hard to see that being goalie coach/consultant is his job as long as he feels like it.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Pretty sure he and Mario are tight. IIRC, Mario, Marc Bergevin and Meloche (years earlier than the other two) all played for the same local pre-junior team and grew up around the same area of Montreal. Think Meloche was also the first guy from that particular team to make it to the NHL as well. Then take in the connection of both playing for the Pens and Meloche's long-standing role in the organization despite the team's lack of quality goalies during that time and it's not hard to see that being goalie coach/consultant is his job as long as he feels like it.
correct as usual Sivek. here's some links/quotes:

Quote:
Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux is the most famous graduate of the Ville-Émard Hurricanes minor hockey program.

But the first player from the Ville-Émard program to make it to the National Hockey League was goaltender Gilles Meloche, who was the Chicago Blackhawks' fifth-round pick (70th overall) at the 1970 amateur draft, five years after Lemieux was born.
http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports...b-df3b174d0ae4

Quote:
Mario Lemieux, Marc Bergevin and Jean-Jacques Daigneault played together in the late 1970s for the Ville-Émard Hurricanes in Montreal’s southwest district.

As young players, Bergevin and Daigneault could see the buzz created by Lemieux’s exceptional skill.
Quote:
All three went to the same high school, École Honoré-Mercier.

“I’m the only one that went, though,” Bergevin said.

“They didn’t go as much,” he added, diplomatically.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/touch...tml?id=8289648

Old
05-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Sivek

Nice article.

All of this Mario's buddies talk made me think of Stephane Richer for the first time in forever. Hard to believe that the 2001-02 Pens had 5 players appear in a NHL game this year. Don't think I would of believed that 11 years ago. Chirst, just looking at that roster again, Kent ****ing Manderville, some serious blasts from the past there.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Malkinstheman

For our first pick id like to take a chance on jusse saros. Only 5'10" but ive heard from multiple people that he is by far the best goaltender in this draft and also the to european goaltender, although because of his height he will go late or maybe even undrafted. Has everything to be elite just his height is holding him back. Flexible, positionally sound and makes tough saves look easy.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Is it common for players who are European to go back to Europe if they're undrafted and fail to get a contract from an NHL team?

I'd guess that it's quite common.
True but we're talking about Germany here, pretty much the epitome of hockey failure at all levels. Our development system is broken, the leagues are constantly feuding with each other and the national federation, and Munich is especially bad for a young kid. They're owned by Red Bull who don't give a crap about anything but promoting their icky swill by way of sports franchises. Niederberger will probably make a pretty penny but I think it will set back his development. Basically anywhere else would've been better for his future IMO.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
For our first pick id like to take a chance on jusse saros. Only 5'10" but ive heard from multiple people that he is by far the best goaltender in this draft and also the to european goaltender, although because of his height he will go late or maybe even undrafted. Has everything to be elite just his height is holding him back. Flexible, positionally sound and makes tough saves look easy.
Spent two picks last year on goalies and picked up Hartzell. I doubt we draft another one, never mind a 5'10 goalie.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Bergevin is a funny guy. I remember he was notorious for all the practical jokes he played in the locker room during his career.

Closed Thread