HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
So, could the Sabres get 2nd or 3rd pick in the lottery? Or is it either 1st, or wherever they finish?
this

or they could pick one spot lower than where they finish, if a team behind them lucks out and wins the lottery

Old
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Niagaradad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
this

or they could pick one spot lower than where they finish, if a team behind them lucks out and wins the lottery
Could that team be Minnesota? Please?

Old
04-22-2013, 12:48 PM
"Craigs on it"

what is the difference between Matt Duchene in his draft year and Hunter Shinkaruk this year? both had nearly identical PPG in juniors, both play the games very similar, both are fantastic skaters, both play center/wing, almost identical size ect..

Not saying Shinkaruk will be the next Matt Duchene but I find him to be pretty underrated in this draft because he didn't put up as good of numbers as last year, at the very least he should be in the discussion with the second tier of forwards.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
what is the difference between Matt Duchene in his draft year and Hunter Shinkaruk this year? both had nearly identical PPG in juniors, both play the games very similar, both are fantastic skaters, both play center/wing, almost identical size ect..

Not saying Shinkaruk will be the next Matt Duchene but I find him to be pretty underrated in this draft because he didn't put up as good of numbers as last year, at the very least he should be in the discussion with the second tier of forwards.
Where is the latest he is expected to go?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:24 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Where is the latest he is expected to go?
Some have him #5 some have #13.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Because they're high on a guy they think they can get at 9th and would love a free 1st (and another 2nd? Seriously?) to go with it.
Historically though, the kind of trade that makes sense there would be something like Buffalo trading 9 + 21 (Minnesota's 1st) for picks 5 and 35. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but it's more realistic 9 + 21 + 39 for 5.
I would be fine if Buffalo did a NASH #4+ 2nd round (#34) for 9+20.

If Minnesota fails to make the playoffs thus the pick is around 13 or 14 I have my reservations.

If Minnesota make a run and the pick is 27 I would have no problem trading the 2 for Nashvilles 1st + 3rd.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
So, could the Sabres get 2nd or 3rd pick in the lottery? Or is it either 1st, or wherever they finish?
i nwish the NHL lottery followed the NBA version where the top 3 are lottery winners and then the worst team is assured of no worse than 4th.

The way the NHL works is the lottery winner gets #1 and then all teams follow in order.

If Buffalo was 9th then would move up to 1st then FLA 2nd to 3rd, next team goes 3rd to 4th, and so on.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I swear last place had a 45% chance last year? Wasnt it some thing like:
30th - 45%
29th - 20%
28th - 10%
27th - 6%
26th - 4%
Effectively they did because the way the rules were a team only in the top 5 could win the #1 pick....anyone else who won the lottery would only move up 4 spots.

In RNH year Devils won the lottery but because they were around 13th they only moved up 4 spots.

If 6th-14th won the lottery the 1st still retained the 1st.

this year because of the lottery change---all non playoff teams can get the #1 pick and the odds are what someone else posted.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post

He's a player that I've grown to like more lately. He's got the puck skills and the quality skating to become a real good top 6 forward I think. I would be excited to add him to our prospect pool depending on where we end up picking and who goes off the board ahead of us.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Djp

What would you do------

scenario---Buffalo finishes 7th overall, Minnesota misses the playoffs and is 13th or 14th. Minnesota wins the lottery for the #1 pick.

buffalo now has #1 and #8....would you want buffalo to trade down a few spots from #1 and then use those pick ups to then move up from #7...thus the tam has say #3 and #4?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
What would you do------

scenario---Buffalo finishes 7th overall, Minnesota misses the playoffs and is 13th or 14th. Minnesota wins the lottery for the #1 pick.

buffalo now has #1 and #8....would you want buffalo to trade down a few spots from #1 and then use those pick ups to then move up from #7...thus the tam has say #3 and #4?
Chances of that happening are 1/1000 but I will play along

Make picks #1 and #7

Old
04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
What would you do------

Depends on who the team moving up to #1 wants. If we have the #1 overall, I want either Jones or MacKinnon. If we move down to #3 and lose out on both of them, I don't do it. If the team moving to #1 wants Drouin or Nicuhshkin, I'd drop down since it would guarantee either Jones or MacKinnon at #3.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
What would you do------

If this happened, use the picks. Don't worry about trying to be all crafty, just take the guys they want at those selections.

04-22-2013, 03:33 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Re: increasing the # of teams with a shot at the #1 pick in this year's draft...

Isn't the reason the NHL revised the format this season in large part because of the shortened season, (i.e., without 82 games and no cross-conference schedule, the ability to clearly see if your team REALLY REALLY sucks, really sucks, or just plain mildly sucks isn't possible)?

Didn't the NHL say the modification was only for this draft?

Old
04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Re: increasing the # of teams with a shot at the #1 pick in this year's draft...

Isn't the reason the NHL revised the format this season in large part because of the shortened season, (i.e., without 82 games and no cross-conference schedule, the ability to clearly see if your team REALLY REALLY sucks, really sucks, or just plain mildly sucks isn't possible)?

Didn't the NHL say the modification was only for this draft?
I'm pretty sure this is a permanent change.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:16 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
What would you do------

I'd sit tight and make those picks I think. I'd look at offers moving back from 8 maybe, but if the Sabres luck (this franchise? Luck? ) their way into the first overall, I take MacKinnon and Tambellini-troll-grin my way to the bank.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

2013 U18 World Championship - Team USA through three games, tournament standouts:
Quote:
J.T. Compher — Team USA’s captain has been one of its best players in the tournament to date. He has five points in tournament play including two goals and three assists. He’s been reliable in all zones and has played with a certain tenacity that makes the game tougher for opponents. Both of his goals have come in key moments in the game, including a late tying goal against Russia, shorthanded, and another tying goal against the Czech Republic when momentum was swaying the wrong way. Compher has a terrific shot and isn’t afraid to let it go from anywhere. He’s also used his speed and strength well throughout the tournament.
Quote:
Steven Santini — Santini has been Team USA’s most reliable defender in this tournament. He’s currently leading the team at plus-6 and has averaged 18:53 of ice time through three games. At times Santini has actually been dominant. There’s a steadiness to Santini and he simplifies the game to make sure whatever play he makes is the right one. He certainly hasn’t been perfect in this tournament, but the other team has a real hard time scoring when he’s on the ice. He’s used his size and speed well and while he won’t be confused for an offensive defenseman, his puck moving has been notable. Santini just plays the game smart and that’s been a huge plus for the U.S.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
What would you do------

Or keep #1 overall, move up from 8th and has two top 5

Old
04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
What would you do------

Make the picks.

Whoever your guy is then what's left at 7.

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Drouin
4. Nicushkin
5. Barkov
6. Lindholm
7. Nurse
8. Monahan

I'd be thrilled with Monahan at 8 if the top 7 ended up that way.

I'd dance if we somehow won and got Jones as well. Another way to go is MacKinnon/Drouin then one of Nurse/Ristolainen/Pulock.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:53 PM
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~

After today's loss the "worst" they could finish is 11th going into the lottery.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
What would you do------

hell no

Old
04-23-2013, 12:28 PM
SamsonReinFart

Could you imagine getting:

Jones and Monahan/Nich/Lindholm
OR
MacKinnon and Nursle/Ristolainen

That would be the greatest thing that ever happened to Buffalo.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Rowley Birkin

If the top 8 is as pronounced as people are making out, and forgetting about unrealistic lottery wins - a 7/8 pick is acceptable to me. Yeah it would have been nice to get one of the boys at the very top, but should still get a good player at 7 or 8.

I just hope we don't win the next two and fall to 11 or something....

Old
04-23-2013, 01:23 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
If the top 8 is as pronounced as people are making out, and forgetting about unrealistic lottery wins - a 7/8 pick is acceptable to me. Yeah it would have been nice to get one of the boys at the very top, but should still get a good player at 7 or 8.

I just hope we don't win the next two and fall to 11 or something....
Even if that were the case, we'd be ending up with whoever is left over.

I see six players that are on a different level though, so we'll likely end up right outside of that range.
Perfect.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
EichHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Even if that were the case, we'd be ending up with whoever is left over.

I see six players that are on a different level though, so we'll likely end up right outside of that range.
Perfect.
You really think that one of those 6 does not fall to 7-8? I mean last years draft no one was even close to writing a good mock. I was at the draft in Pittsburgh and watched Forsberg and Grigs fall so far and was in shock. Not to mention Lindholm to Anaheim, Tuevo falling to pick 18 with Chicago, Pouliot to Pittsburgh who in mocks was a fringe 1st rounder, Koekkoek to Tampa. So many picks no one suspected.

Closed Thread