HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
  #751
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 40,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Regier might be able to do both if he sequences things right.

1.) Make Buffalo's first round pick in 2013 ( includes staying at 8, packaging picks to move up)

2.) Trade Miller - signals the full on tear down and rebuild is underway. Also indicated 2014 draft choice might be real high.

3.) Package Vanek and 2014 first rounder for player (Kane, etc.).

The risk obviously is with the 2014 pick.
obviously, better to do things in a different order

1.) Package Vanek and 2013 first rounder for player (Kane, etc.).
2.) Trade Miller - signals the full on tear down and rebuild is underway. Also indicated 2014 draft choice might be real high.
3.) Use 2014 1st rounder to acquire another franchise caliber player

Jame is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
  #752
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,785
vCash: 50
Make the picks @8 and 16, commit to a rebuild and nab one of Reinhart/Ekblad/Nylander ect.. and be near the bottom in 2015, if we are committed to a full rebuild will we be getting a top pick next or the following year. Use this year to build up the depth.

1972 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
  #753
Der Jaeger
Generational User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
good point (carolina/defense)... i like that idea (getting Barkov or Lindholm)
r
I like a combo of what we said.

Trade 8 plus picks to Carolina. Take Barkov or Lindholm.

Trade Miller to Phoenix for Rundblad.

Trade Vanek, 2014 first for Kane.

Der Jaeger is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
  #754
Der Jaeger
Generational User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
obviously, better to do things in a different order

1.) Package Vanek and 2013 first rounder for player (Kane, etc.).
2.) Trade Miller - signals the full on tear down and rebuild is underway. Also indicated 2014 draft choice might be real high.
3.) Use 2014 1st rounder to acquire another franchise caliber player
The risk there is Buffalo turns in another 8-13 finish. The payoff now is being at 8 in a situation where a trade up is possible, and the 2nd tier prospects are very good.

Der Jaeger is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
  #755
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 40,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I like a combo of what we said.

Trade 8 plus picks to Carolina. Take Barkov or Lindholm.

Trade Miller to Phoenix for Rundblad.

Trade Vanek, 2014 first for Kane.
After moving vanek/miller....trading 2014 1st would be terrible idea

Jame is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
  #756
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Regier might be able to do both if he sequences things right.

1.) Make Buffalo's first round pick in 2013 ( includes staying at 8, packaging picks to move up)

2.) Trade Miller - signals the full on tear down and rebuild is underway. Also indicated 2014 draft choice might be real high.

3.) Package Vanek and 2014 first rounder for player (Kane, etc.).

The risk obviously is with the 2014 pick.
Way too risky, IMO. That's just begging to be the next Kessel deal, where we get a good player but end up giving up one who could easily be better (plus Vanek).

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:44 AM
  #757
wunderpanda
Tarasenko Bandwagon
 
wunderpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
What about Vanek to the Jackets for one of their 1st's and Ryan Murray? Gives them a better player than they will get at 14 who can help get them to the playoffs, gives us a very good D prospect and a late 1st

wunderpanda is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
  #758
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,785
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
What about Vanek to the Jackets for one of their 1st's and Ryan Murray? Gives them a better player than they will get at 14 who can help get them to the playoffs, gives us a very good D prospect and a late 1st
Ryan Murray was a 2012 2nd over all pick, and a 1st rounder? Murray value is so high.

Not even remotely close, I don't think we have an asset that could get Murray

1972 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:00 AM
  #759
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 40,323
vCash: 500
1. Col - Seth Jones
2. Fla - Jonathan Drouin
3. Tam - Nate Mackinnon
4. Nas - Aleksander Barkov
5. Car - Rasmus Ristolainen
6. Cal - Elias Lindholm
7. Edm - Darnell Nurse
8. Buf - ?

I like Monahan... :shug:

Jame is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
  #760
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!
 
SundherDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Tampa might not be as unwilling to deal as you think. They've got pieces in place right now, and I think with a home run offer they'd probably listen.
would this get Tampa to listen?

To
Miller
Stafford
2013 1st Buffalo
2013 1st Minnesota

To
2013 1st
Lindback
Malone


Miller is an upgrade in goal, Stafford and Malone is an even swap where we take on cap hit.... then flip enroth or lindback or hackett for a 2nd to a goalie needy team so you would have a top 3 pick, 3 seconds to try and trade back into the first or 3 second round selections in a deep draft.

thoughts??

SundherDome is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
  #761
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 40,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
would this get Tampa to listen?

To
Miller
Stafford
2013 1st Buffalo
2013 1st Minnesota

To
2013 1st
Lindback
Malone


Miller is an upgrade in goal, Stafford and Malone is an even swap where we take on cap hit.... then flip enroth or lindback or hackett for a 2nd to a goalie needy team so you would have a top 3 pick, 3 seconds to try and trade back into the first or 3 second round selections in a deep draft.

thoughts??
Tampa has Lindback, Bishop, and Vasilevski in the pipe.... they have no reason to move out of the top 3 for 1 year of Ryan Miller...

Jame is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:33 AM
  #762
flashsabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Tampa need D. I think it starts with Myers+ if you are looking at Drouin or Mackinnon with the 3rd pick.

flashsabre is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:36 AM
  #763
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 50
I like the idea of swapping picks with Carolina to move up to #5. It makes a lot of sense if the Canes are dead-set on picking defense, as at least one of Nurse, Ristolainen, or even Zadorov (who is climbing on some charts) will still be available.

I'm a little wary of what the "plus" would be in addition to the 8th pick, but I doubt Darcy would overpay

boots electric is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
  #764
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!
 
SundherDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Tampa has Lindback, Bishop, and Vasilevski in the pipe.... they have no reason to move out of the top 3 for 1 year of Ryan Miller...
Switch Miller for sekera and drop lindback ?

SundherDome is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:44 AM
  #765
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,359
vCash: 500
I'm starting to really like the idea of getting Shinkaruk with #8. Elite offensive skill is a dire need for this team moving forward and fairly good d-man could be acquired with #16.

CarlWinslow is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
  #766
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,069
vCash: 500
Can we just fast forward to the draft?

couture23 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:02 PM
  #767
hizzoner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Shinkaruk is another who was a few days from being draftable last year. A year older (almost) than other draftees this year but still quite a bit smaller--and he did not score like Rychel, Mantha, Domi and only matched a few others of his peers who are available in production. The love must be because he is a little guy with wheels--if he had 50 plus goals as a close to overager I might see it....

hizzoner is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:02 PM
  #768
is the answer jesus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 2,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I'm starting to really like the idea of getting Shinkaruk with #8. Elite offensive skill is a dire need for this team moving forward and fairly good d-man could be acquired with #16.
Shinkaruk would be a nice pick if Monahan is already drafted. He looks like a lock to be a top 6 forward. I'd be fine with any of the defenseman who are likely to be available as well. I don't get this contingent of fans who want to move up in this draft. There's plenty of talent in this draft and the sabres should get a good player at 8. Keep the picks and re-stock the pipeline.

is the answer jesus is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
  #769
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I like taking high risk high reward players. Sure some will bust, but without some elite talent, this team will never go anywhere. You have to take chances that you're going to get an elite player. The next tier down: your Vaneks, Pominvilles, etc. won't get the job done. You gotta take the chance that there's a Malkin, or a P.Kane, etc. out there...which means either getting a really high draft pick, or taking high risk players and hoping that at least one or two of them realize their potential.
I think a couple of people missed your point - I totally agree with what you are saying.

While the likes of Vanek/JP etc. are very good players, they are not consistant game changers whereas the likes of Malkin and Kane are.

Forget where they are drafted - its obvious guys that are picked 1st or 2nd have a bigger chance at becoming this kind of player, but its not impossible for others to do so.

And of the bunch we're likely choosing from, Nichuskhin is the only guy with this potential IMO. Its obviously a risk, but as enough people have said, its a risk that is probably worth taking.


As regards to moving up - I just don't see it happening. However, I would tear this team apart if it meant getting picks 2 & 3 for MacKinnon and Drouin. Nothing is untouchable. Never happening though.

Rowley Birkin is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:13 PM
  #770
is the answer jesus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 2,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Shinkaruk is another who was a few days from being draftable last year. A year older (almost) than other draftees this year but still quite a bit smaller--and he did not score like Rychel, Mantha, Domi and only matched a few others of his peers who are available in production. The love must be because he is a little guy with wheels--if he had 50 plus goals as a close to overager I might see it....
He had 49 goals last year. He just had a down year offensively. If he followed a 49 goal season with a 50 + goal season this year he likely gets taken in the first 7 picks and the sabres have no shot at taking him.

is the answer jesus is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:19 PM
  #771
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
1. Col - Seth Jones
2. Fla - Jonathan Drouin
3. Tam - Nate Mackinnon
4. Nas - Aleksander Barkov
5. Car - Rasmus Ristolainen
6. Cal - Elias Lindholm
7. Edm - Darnell Nurse
8. Buf - ?

I like Monahan... :shug:
Getting Monahan would make it worth standing pat and keeping #8 and #16 (I'd like Pulock).

Miller is the most likely to be traded on draft day, but I doubt teams ahead of Buffalo will give up that pick for a goalie. Carolina might move down for #8 and a d-man, but who would Car and Buf agree on? Sekera, Pysyk, and McNabb seem like possibilities. If it's Myers then Car has to add.

I wonder if Calgary would consider a basic framework of #6 for Myers.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:19 PM
  #772
tmack224
Registered User
 
tmack224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
What's everyone's opinion on Domi? Is he as good offensively as his stats say and is he a pest like his dad? If he is then do you think he will be there when the Sabres pick with their second 1st rd pick?

tmack224 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:28 PM
  #773
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 5,252
vCash: 500
Monahan or Nituschkin

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
  #774
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
Tampa need D. I think it starts with Myers+ if you are looking at Drouin or Mackinnon with the 3rd pick.
The question there is would Myers+ be enough given the big contract and bad season that Tyler had?

Plus, there are cap issues with Tampa. I don't see them trading that pick when they could get Drouin as the long term replacement for St-Louis.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:32 PM
  #775
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
What's everyone's opinion on Domi? Is he as good offensively as his stats say and is he a pest like his dad? If he is then do you think he will be there when the Sabres pick with their second 1st rd pick?
I'd be interested in him with our later 1st, though I think there will be a lot of good options there. He's not a big guy, but everything I've read about him indicates that he's a tenacious forechecker with a ton of lower body strength and good speed.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.