HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A thought on Brisebois..this upcoming season

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Darz

vCash: 500
A thought on Brisebois..this upcoming season

Maybe I should of posted this in the Brisebois almost dealt thread, but....

I dunno why, but for some reason, I really believe Brisebois is going to have a career year this upcoming season. Maybe it's the brush cut or something, but he sounds and looks like a player on a mission. The guy has always had a good level of skill, maybe this is the year he mixes that skill with a pissed off attitude, and puts it together for an entire season. When Brisebois avoids the bonehead stuff for awhile, he can actually play a sound game. Sometimes a player needs a career altering experience to improve, and maybe the crap that happen at the end of last year will do that for Brisebois.
Plus wouldn't it make sense, we trade Brisebois for a 4th round pick (or something below his true value) and he finally learns how to avoid the boneheadedness that has plagued him to this point.....and helps a team to the cup or something like that.....I mean, doesn't that seem right?????
Then we all sit back and critize Bob Gainey for making the trade, or not getting enough in return.
Damn, that seems sooooooo like Montreal the past # of years.

ah....then again, maybe the brush cut just kinda threw me a bit...

Old
09-24-2003, 04:43 AM
Capitano

I'm hoping he plays better but I just think he's fed up with the fans at this point. He has refused trades (why I have no idea), and he knows that he's overpaid. A contract is a contract but it would be so smart of him to go back to management and give back about 1.5 million per season. At least he'd get SOME praise for doing that. I just doing see him rebounding though, he's pretty much playing for a paychecque if you ask me.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 04:46 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
He looks alot bigger from the interview i saw of him on RDS and said some good things, and if he can be consistant with his physical play then i think that would be awesome.
Why should Brisebois play physical while Rivet (injuried since 2 years!) Dykhuis Traverse Markov Hainsey and 90% of the fowards are'nt??

His biggest problems is that he's in Montreal since too long.

If we give him (we won't have anything back) we will have to sign Tverdovski who is'nt more physical and who does'nt care at all about the Habs.

I can't beleive they already started to boo him specialy that he looks in good shape

Old
09-24-2003, 04:49 AM
skidboot

I have 20+ year old underwear that I KNOW will hold up tougher than Brisebois.

When...(and it will happen) coughs up the puck in his own end because he shied away from yet another hit and it ends up in our net I just might have to take the 3.5 hr drive to Montreal just to slap his parents.

Get rid of him.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:53 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
I'm hoping he plays better but I just think he's fed up with the fans at this point. He has refused trades (why I have no idea), and he knows that he's overpaid. A contract is a contract but it would be so smart of him to go back to management and give back about 1.5 million per season. At least he'd get SOME praise for doing that. I just doing see him rebounding though, he's pretty much playing for a paychecque if you ask me.

Cap
I can't imagine what kind of praise would cause me to give my employer 1.5 million back.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I can't imagine what kind of praise would cause me to give my employer 1.5 million back.

Well think about it. The guy is overpaid, the league knows it, he knows it, the fans know it. Can you imagine how hard it must be for him? I'm not saying I would give the money back either, I'm just trying to figure out a way for him to redeem himself. I seriously doubt he can redeem himself by earning 4.5 million

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 05:02 AM
skidboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
C'mon now, all you people who say Brisebois NEVER plays physical and ALWAYS shys away from contact, you know that's false so stop saying it please.

Sure Brisebois makes some errors defensively(most of our d does) but let's wait and see in the regular season if at all he has improved his defensive lapses.

How many years has Brisebois been in the League???
Do you really want to wait and see what happens....again?
What makes you think he will change now? Because he bulked up???
And a Leopard will change its spots.

C'mon.

He's a puss.
When the going gets tough, Breezy heads for France.

nuff said.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:28 AM
mcphee

OK Skidboot,you've mentionned your 20 year old underwear and leopards in this thread. No more analogies or metaphors, I'm getting uncomfortable.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:31 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano

Cap
I wouldn't praise him for giving management a bunch of money back, but I would praise him if he donated $1 million or so a year to a children's charity or something like that mind you.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:34 AM
skidboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
OK Skidboot,you've mentionned your 20 year old underwear and leopards in this thread. No more analogies or metaphors, I'm getting uncomfortable.

lol.

And I'm getting uncomfortable with the thought of Brisebois back on defense for us....again!

Old
09-24-2003, 05:36 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I wouldn't praise him for giving management a bunch of money back, but I would praise him if he donated $1 million or so a year to a children's charity or something like that mind you.
Fair enough, either way it eases the pressure on him.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 05:47 AM
Gros Bill

LOL, gimme a break, guys. You think Brisebois giving money back to his employer (wonder what the NHLPA would say about that) or to a charity would "ease the pressure" on him?

Maybe for one game, but I doubt very much if the yahoos who boo Mr. B would change their habits. One perceived mistake, and it would be back to square one for Patrice.

Actually, he better get used to the booing, and just accept that he's in pretty select company; Forum boo-birds have always had a soft spot for hall of famers (Dryden, Lafleur, etc, etc).

Old
09-24-2003, 05:51 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
People who Brisebois everytime he touches the puck are idiots. He isnt as bad as everybody says he is. People in Montreal just take it to far. That`s my opinion.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:

I dunno why, but for some reason, I really believe Brisebois is going to have a career year this upcoming season. Maybe it's the brush cut or something, but he sounds and looks like a player on a mission. The guy has always had a good level of skill, maybe this is the year he mixes that skill with a pissed off attitude, and puts it together for an entire season. When Brisebois avoids the bonehead stuff for awhile, he can actually play a sound game. Sometimes a player needs a career altering experience to improve, and maybe the crap that happen at the end of last year will do that for Brisebois.
Plus wouldn't it make sense, we trade Brisebois for a 4th round pick (or something below his true value) and he finally learns how to avoid the boneheadedness that has plagued him to this point.....and helps a team to the cup or something like that.....I mean, doesn't that seem right?????
Then we all sit back and critize Bob Gainey for making the trade, or not getting enough in return.
Damn, that seems sooooooo like Montreal the past # of years.

ah....then again, maybe the brush cut just kinda threw me a bit...
God you're good! Finally, some sense in chapter "x" of "Brisebois's miserable life in Montreal"

Old
09-24-2003, 06:10 AM
GilleZ

Quote:

Hehe, I hope too. All I want is a Stanley Cup! So I expect the best from every player. We should try to cheer for the team. We fan should be part of the solution, not the problems. We already have the press that just like it when the team suck. We die Hard fan should put some balance in there.

Go Habs Go!!!

Old
09-24-2003, 06:15 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleZ
Hehe, I hope too. All I want is a Stanley Cup! So I expect the best from every player. We should try to cheer for the team. We fan should be part of the solution, not the problems. We already have the press that just like it when the team suck. We die Hard fan should put some balance in there.

Go Habs Go!!!
I think the fans could help ALOT, if instead of booing him right out of the gate, they saved the boo's until he earns them.
I've never had a problem with the fans booing Brisebois when he makes a bonehead play, but I don't think ANY player deserves to be booed in their HOME arena when they aren't doing anything to deserve it.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:19 AM
GilleZ

Quote:
I think the fans could help ALOT, if instead of booing him right out of the gate, they saved the boo's until he earns them.
I've never had a problem with the fans booing Brisebois when he makes a bonehead play, but I don't think ANY player deserves to be booed in their HOME arena when they aren't doing anything to deserve it.
Totally agree, but if it continue like that, he will be booed even if he scores a goal.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:27 AM
Capitano

Agreed. It has become fashionable to boo Patrice, unfortunately. It's true we as fans need to rally around our guys, BUT they have to represent us too.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 07:03 AM
NWT Habs Fan

I hope you are right Darz and Breezer has a career year. As a Habs fan, I want all our players to perform great and for us to see the best product on the ice.

The main problem with Breezer in the past has been his total lack of accountability for the weaknesses in his game. Instead of accepting that fans aren't thrilled when he leads the league in +/- and/or turnovers, he whines and snivels when media approach him in the off season, when fans boo him after a boneheaded play, or when he gets lambasted for flying to Paris.

If he is going to succeed this season in Montreal, he has to come in with a new attitude. He works for management, and the fans pay his paycheque. He needs to be more accountable for his actions out there on the ice. Maybe the brushcut and the fact that he worked on his upper body strength over the summer, in order to play a better physical game, is a start. But he has to convince a lot of non-believers that he really still cares about playing in Montreal and that he will work on the weaknesses in his game.

It is ironic, Breezer is the last player who played on the '93 Cup winning team, so he should know what it takes to win. He wears the "A" as an alternate captain. Yet there are two new kids in town, named Komisarek and Higgins, who grew up in NY (of all places) as Habs' fans. Those two take every opportunity to tell media and fans how thrilled they are to play for the Habs, and who work their young hearts out day in and day out. Fans will be a lot more forgiving of players like that making an honest mistake on the ice, as they know they will work their buns off to make up for it right away or on the next shift.

Our seasoned veteran could take a few pages out of our rookies' book.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:02 AM
oli500

Darz, who are right about Brisebois. This year could be one of his good years. If only the fans in montreal would stop boing him, he can be a valuable player. I mean look at our power play againts the leafs last night What was it like 1 for 9. Thats horible, if we do that every night the predictions of the sportings news thats says were going to finish 13 th are going to be right. We had traverse playing on the power play most of the night and look at the results. If anyone he should bood its traverse. Brisebois is an important part of are power play and if we want to have a good here we need good special teams.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Garnet

Brisebois

I said it in the summer and I say it agian. Brisebois will have a good year. Just look at his stats. Everytime he has a bad year he follows it up with a decsent one. Brisebois and believe it or not Hossa are my pick for the most improved players in the league. I think Gainey will really push Brisebois.

Face Brisebois doesn't want to leave Montreal and his no trade clause is over after this season so he better play well if he wants to stay.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:20 PM
habsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
People who Brisebois everytime he touches the puck are idiots. He isnt as bad as everybody says he is. People in Montreal just take it to far. That`s my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap
Agreed. It has become fashionable to boo Patrice, unfortunately. It's true we as fans need to rally around our guys, BUT they have to represent us too.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:42 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

I believe Brisebois has not been used properly in the past few years, as he was always considered by the management as a proven first pairing defenseman. Then, people started realizing he made quite a few mistakes every game, and it became worse every season since then, eventhough he had good offensive numbers most of these years.

What would be the appropriate use of Brisebois is giving him third pairing defenseman icetime, along with 1st powerplay unit icetime, which would be a win-win situation for the team. First, the numbers of mistakes in our own zone would probably be reduced, and Patrice could concentrate mainly on what he is (over)paid for; his creativity on the powerplay. As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind him staying in Montreal, as long as he's willing to play this role, and as long as he's willing to reduce his salary when a new contract will be negociated with Bob.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Joe Malone

Maturity is the key word with Patrice.

Brisebois has talent, and makes very good plays to go along with his gaffs. He's been so inconsistant though....good play, bad play....good game, bad game....good year, bad year. Inconsistency is a word associated with rookies, those players who have not matured.

Are the brush cut and the upper body training signs he's maturing? Have the stress-related heart issues or the off-season car accident caused a more mature focus? Has Patrice Brisbois finally matured at age 32?

Only time will tell.
Stay tuned...

Old
09-24-2003, 04:13 PM
skidboot

Well I tell ya what then guys...next time Breezer coughs up the puck resulting in a goal against us or the next time he plays "Matador" with an oncoming forward....don't fret....just say "Go get em next time Breezer, its OK".....

Gimme a frickin break.

My God...I can't believe you guys want to forgive this stiff for another year. How much more should we be willing to endure from "Patty Plane Hopper". Enough is Enough.

I have no problem cheering on the guys when times are tough....but I will not EVER cheer on Breezer. When I make my way to Montreal this year I will be booing our very own Rudy Galindo on skates.

Time to leave town Pattycakes.

Closed Thread