HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Caps new nastier direction

Old
04-22-2013, 08:05 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 5585
For some reason I remember a PP with Stevens at LW parked in front.

I think we were playing the Islanders, and Dave Langevin is just cross checking him in front repeatedly. Finally, Stevens turns around and does the same to him. They called Stevens and him alone, instantly. Stevens was furious.

That always stuck out in my head as the way things are not called on PKD.

On a side note, I remember Stevens exiting the penalty box and as the puck came up to LP, Stevens exiting the box, just destroyed the unsuspecting Dman, hopefully Potvin. It was a thing of beauty. Back to the box he went; of course this was before checking from behind was an issue. Point being, they call penalties sometimes on sheer brute strength.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Dirtbag59

vCash: 500
Funny thing is if we somehow win the cup there will be so many fans from other teams looking to put an asterisk next to it.

-ZOMG Capz played in da SouthlEeast. Shouldn't been in pLayOFFz 2 start with!~*(@

- OMGWTFBBQ, so wat? They won cuz of the lockout shortened season. Lets c them win dat cup in an 82 game season!

- ZOMG cROzby wasnt healthy. doesnt counted.

- LEAGUE forzed refs to hlep Caps win.

- Caps played in the East so they done had an easier road to the cup and the Western team was so beat up from playing other Western Conference teams that they had no energy left.

Anyway you guys get the picture. Unless you're a Western team from the Central or Pacific division it doesn't count.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
BobRouse

For certian NHL refs love calling them some retaliation penalties and more often then not completely miss the first one.

This is why its important to initiate and not wait to always retaliate. Getting players more likely to initiate (wether by finishing checks, mixing it up, clearing the crease etc).

We are not there yet in that regard but it is getting better.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:28 AM
msrulo

We still yet have to clinch. I hope Buffalo can finish the Peg off. If not, it has to be us.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:31 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
We still yet have to clinch. I hope Buffalo can finish the Peg off. If not, it has to be us.
Thats a pretty big hope there. I get the sense Buffalo will be in complete tanking mode at this point and the Jets will be desperate.

It will come down to tomorrow night I think. Big game and playoffs are up in the air.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:49 AM
msrulo

First round opponent chances(%):

Toronto
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Ottawa

The chances we get the Rangers again are pretty big. That is if we make the playoffs.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Kegger

Quote:
First round opponent chances(%):

Toronto
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Ottawa

The chances we get the Rangers again are pretty big. That is if we make the playoffs.
Honestly, the way we have matched up against Islanders and Ottawa this season, i would rather play against anyone else first round. Toronto, Montreal, Rangers...

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:25 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Honestly, the way we have matched up against Islanders and Ottawa this season, i would rather play against anyone else first round. Toronto, Montreal, Rangers...
Once again...

Regular season means little.

in 2010-11 we matched up poorly vs the Rangers (1-3?) yet beat them int he playoffs.

in 08-09 we won the season series vs Pitt (3-0-1?) and lost to them in the playoffs.

in 91-92 we manhandled the Pens in the regular season. I remember 2 games in Pitt that year...we won one 10-0 and the other 9-3 and had their number all year up until game 5 of that series.

Throw what you have seen in the regular season out when the playoffs start..assuming we make them...

Old
04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

To me its Cap Killers, and goalies. Not in that order.

One thing I do not see from the Oates Overture is screening. Ward can do it, Brouwer, Laich a little. But that is what may need to be used to beat a hot hand like Craig Anderson.

Oates will probably stick to his guns and encourage everyone to be modern day Oates's and pass the puck before shooting. And really, it comes down to Ovi.

I hope Ovi and Nick/Ribs practice that LW fake shot pass to the right door step tap in play, about 100 times a day.

Ovi's got deception now. He used to be all about his move. Now he is more dynamic than ever and goalies may be hoping for him to be predictable and shoot more... yes even though he is leading the league in goals.

Quite the quandry for goalies these days...

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old
04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
BobRouse

We do seem to be a more east west offensive team in the attacking zone now under Oates. Hunter was all North South and you would be benched if you showed any creativity at the blue line.

We are getting alot more high quality chances now b/c of it. I too wonder if this will hold up in the playoffs but we'll see.

I do see us going to the net and screening but also sometimes setting up in the highslot when the situation calls for it.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Funny thing is if we somehow win the cup there will be so many fans from other teams looking to put an asterisk next to it.

-ZOMG Capz played in da SouthlEeast. Shouldn't been in pLayOFFz 2 start with!~*(@

- OMGWTFBBQ, so wat? They won cuz of the lockout shortened season. Lets c them win dat cup in an 82 game season!

- Caps played in the East so they done had an easier road to the cup and the Western team was so beat up from playing other Western Conference teams that they had no energy left.

Anyway you guys get the picture. Unless you're a Western team from the Central or Pacific division it doesn't count.
And I couldn't care less about any of those jokers. If I get to watch Ovechkin raise the Stanley Cup... man, I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I was having this conversation with my wife watching the Habs game, and I know this is counting chickens wayyyyy before they hatch, but if the Caps somehow make the SCF and win 3 games, she asked what's my price limit of traveling to the game and buying tickets. I told her I'd probably pay $3000 if the opportunity was there.

The thing is, if the Caps do make it that far there's a roughly 40% chance that they'll be playing a team in California which will drastically reduce my travel expenses. Would be the experience of a life time.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Once again...

Regular season means little.

in 2010-11 we matched up poorly vs the Rangers (1-3?) yet beat them int he playoffs.

in 08-09 we won the season series vs Pitt (3-0-1?) and lost to them in the playoffs.

in 91-92 we manhandled the Pens in the regular season. I remember 2 games in Pitt that year...we won one 10-0 and the other 9-3 and had their number all year up until game 5 of that series.

Throw what you have seen in the regular season out when the playoffs start..assuming we make them...
Im not talking records, just flat out how we match up on the chess board.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Im not talking records, just flat out how we match up on the chess board.
An example of this is how we matched up better against Boston last year. I was probably one of the few who didnt mind us playing against them in the first round...i could care less what our regular season record looked like, you can just watch the games and know how playoff hockey is won to determine what i am trying to get at.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
We do seem to be a more east west offensive team in the attacking zone now under Oates. Hunter was all North South and you would be benched if you showed any creativity at the blue line.

We are getting alot more high quality chances now b/c of it. I too wonder if this will hold up in the playoffs but we'll see.

I do see us going to the net and screening but also sometimes setting up in the highslot when the situation calls for it.
I have been trying to figure out a way to describe the Oates attack.

I do see the breakout being run by primarily throwing diagonal passes, and there often being two Caps forwards in that passing lane. Sometimes the closer player lets the pass go to that far side winger farther up ice. We look like a pro team!

But when that forward gains the zone, he is often pulling up and looking to pass. If he has a step he will drive the net or wing of course, but if not, its all about passing. And the D men can and will lead that breakout and join the rush if they are in position to do so. Nothing there, they dump and chase.

I will look more for screens and such, but have been seeing players more often getting into passing lanes, versus screens. Definitely crashing the net, but from an angle in which they can receive the pass.

Edit I do remember Ovi down low on a Hillen goal in a screen position but he moved away before the shot came.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-22-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old
04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I have been trying to figure out a way to describe the Oates attack.

I do see the breakout being run by primarily throwing diagonal passes, and there often being two Caps forwards in that passing lane. Sometimes the closer player lets the pass go to that far side winger farther up ice. We look like a pro team!

But when that forward gains the zone, he is often pulling up and looking to pass. If he has a step he will drive the net or wing of course, but if not, its all about passing. And the D men can and will lead that breakout and join the rush if they are in position to do so. Nothing there, they dump and chase.

I will look more for screens and such, but have been seeing players more often getting into passing lanes, versus screens. Definitely crashing the net, but from an angle in which they can receive the pass.

Edit I do remember Ovi down low on a Hillen goal in a screen position but he moved away before the shot came.
The goal of the team is to enter the zone with control in this system and occassional blue line turnovers be damned.

I do see the curl and pull up after entering the zone looking for a trailer alot. This would have never happened under Hunter Hockey.

What I don't see is much of a guy planted directly in front of the goalie. What I do see is guys shifting in and out and doing skate-bys. I do see us triangulating and looking for the top of the slot one timer alot more and less of a "get it to the point and fire it on net or into the corner if the shot is not there"

We give up some odd man breaks and we get some high quality looks also. We do batten down the hatches with a 3rd period lead but I guess most everytime does this outside of the old Caps under BB where they were relentlessly on the attack.

At least it makes for more exciting hockey.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Buffalo can't finish them. The magic number is 4. The most they could lose tonight is 2.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:22 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Buffalo can't finish them. The magic number is 4. The most they could lose tonight is 2.
Also important note being Caps fans...

We should understand that our team has been very familiar with choking and that a good choke can rear its ugly head at anytime.

Would it terribly surprise anyone if we choked our division lead away? We're in a good position but there is a very real possibility it can happen if we lose tomorrow night.

Make sure to have plenty of liquor and beer on hand in that event.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
And I couldn't care less about any of those jokers. If I get to watch Ovechkin raise the Stanley Cup... man, I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I was having this conversation with my wife watching the Habs game, and I know this is counting chickens wayyyyy before they hatch, but if the Caps somehow make the SCF and win 3 games, she asked what's my price limit of traveling to the game and buying tickets. I told her I'd probably pay $3000 if the opportunity was there.

The thing is, if the Caps do make it that far there's a roughly 40% chance that they'll be playing a team in California which will drastically reduce my travel expenses. Would be the experience of a life time.
For realz, if the Caps had a chance to clinch the Cup in LA or Anaheim, I'd max my credit cards to be there. Or San Jose but we all know that's not happening

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
For some reason I remember a PP with Stevens at LW parked in front.

I think we were playing the Islanders, and Dave Langevin is just cross checking him in front repeatedly. Finally, Stevens turns around and does the same to him. They called Stevens and him alone, instantly. Stevens was furious..
ah...the good ole days when cross checking on the penalty kill was not a penalty.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:17 PM
txpd

i am not sure i understand the islander fear. their goaltender is the russian jose theodore. all of their young players have zero playoff experience. the caps can lose to anyone at anytime. thats well established, but the capitals by all rights should have the advantage against that team.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am not sure i understand the islander fear. their goaltender is the russian jose theodore. all of their young players have zero playoff experience. the caps can lose to anyone at anytime. thats well established, but the capitals by all rights should have the advantage against that team.
The match up is just not ideal. Maybe their speed?

Old
04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Their goalie... you mean the guy the Caps are 4-12 against all time? Not sure why, but he looks like Roy when he plays the Caps.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Frans Nielsen looks like Peter Forsberg against the Caps.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Hasn't Josh Bailey been something of a Caps-killer too? Or am I imagining that?

Tavares may qualify too.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:19 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

As someone who has had their team won a championship 2 months ago I can assure you there are always excuses but anyone with a clue simply doesnt give a damn

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote