HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2013 - Free-agent Discussion

View Poll Results: Which Free-agent should we go after the hardest if you had to pick one specifically.
Horton, Nathan R BOS 27 10 15.87%
Clowe, Ryane L NYR 30 2 3.17%
Morrow, Brenden L PIT 34 1 1.59%
Filppula, Valtteri L DET 29 1 1.59%
Clarkson, David R NJD 29 4 6.35%
Streit, Mark D NYI 35 9 14.29%
Scuderi, Rob D LAK 34 11 17.46%
Gonchar, Sergei D OTT 39 0 0%
Regehr, Robyn D LAK 32 5 7.94%
Murray, Douglas D PIT 33 0 0%
Depends on who we draft 12 19.05%
Other 2 3.17%
None 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
  #1
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
2013 - Free-agent Discussion

We've talked about this sporadically throughout other threads, but I'm curious as to what the consensus is on who everyone actually thinks we should go after.

My personal pick would be Streit, I think EJ needs an offensive veteran partner. I'm done with hoping that he breaks out offensively in the immediate future.

#2 would be Scuderi, just because I think we need a veteran defender. I'd ideally like to have both Streit and Scuds but more than one is wishful thinking. Hell one of these guys could be wishful thinking...

The top Free-agents this year

Iginla, Jarome R PIT 35 $7,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Backstrom, Niklas G MIN 35 $6,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Elias, Patrik C NJD 37 $6,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Gonchar, Sergei D OTT 39 $5,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Thomas, Tim G NYI 39 $5,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Ribeiro, Mike C WAS 33 $5,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Alfredsson, Daniel R OTT 40 $4,875,000 2013 (UFA)
Connolly, Tim C TOR 31 $4,750,000 2013 (UFA)
McDonald, Andy C STL 35 $4,700,000 2013 (UFA)
Jagr, Jaromir R BOS 41 $4,550,000 2013 (UFA)
Selanne, Teemu R ANA 42 $4,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Hainsey, Ron D WIN 32 $4,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Morrow, Brenden L PIT 34 $4,100,000 2013 (UFA)
Streit, Mark D NYI 35 $4,100,000 2013 (UFA)
Bouchard, Pierre-Marc R MIN 28 $4,080,000 2013 (UFA)
Antropov, Nik C WIN 33 $4,062,500 2013 (UFA)
Regehr, Robyn D LAK 32 $4,020,000 2013 (UFA)
Roy, Derek C VAN 29 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Horton, Nathan R BOS 27 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Whitney, Ryan D EDM 30 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Zidlicky, Marek D NJD 36 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Koivu, Saku C ANA 38 $3,800,000 2013 (UFA)
Cervenka, Roman C CGY 27 $3,775,000 2013 (UFA)
Khabibulin, Nikolai G EDM 40 $3,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Clowe, Ryane L NYR 30 $3,625,000 2013 (UFA)
Gagne, Simon L PHI 33 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Ryder, Michael R MTL 33 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Lombardi, Matthew C ANA 31 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Hamrlik, Roman D NYR 39 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Cullen, Matt C MIN 36 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Scuderi, Rob D LAK 34 $3,400,000 2013 (UFA)
Zubrus, Dainius C NJD 34 $3,400,000 2013 (UFA)
MacArthur, Clarke L TOR 28 $3,250,000 2013 (UFA)
Penner, Dustin L LAK 30 $3,250,000 2013 (UFA)
Weiss, Stephen C FLA 30 $3,100,000 2013 (UFA)
Lydman, Toni D ANA 35 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Leopold, Jordan D STL 32 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Filppula, Valtteri L DET 29 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)
White, Ian D DET 28 $2,875,000 2013 (UFA)
Poti, Tom D WAS 36 $2,875,000 2013 (UFA)
Cleary, Danny L DET 34 $2,800,000 2013 (UFA)
Nabokov, Evgeni G NYI 37 $2,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Clarkson, David R NJD 29 $2,666,667 2013 (UFA)
Sullivan, Steve L NJD 38 $2,600,000 2013 (UFA)
Murray, Douglas D PIT 33 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Malhotra, Manny C VAN 32 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Prospal, Vinny L CLB 38 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Handzus, Michal C CHI 36 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Babchuk, Anton D CGY 28 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Raymond, Mason L VAN 27 $2,275,000 2013 (UFA)

Added :

Bozak, Tyler C TOR 27 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Brunner, Damien R DET 27 $1,350,000 2013 (UFA)
Gordon, Boyd C PHX 29 $1,325,000 2013 (UFA)
Stalberg, Viktor L CHI 27 $875,000 2013 (UFA)


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:24 PM
  #2
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 50
Gotta go with the Great Anton.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
  #3
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.
 
WornWithPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Town in Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,913
vCash: 500
I'd love Sergei gonchar, but that's not gonna happen.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
  #4
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 37,127
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
That's a pretty terrible UFA crop. I'd avoid it and explore options to improve the defense through trade or letting the young guys develop rather than overpay for someone.

If we draft a center like MacKinnon or Barkov, look to deal Stastny for defensive help, whether at the draft or at the deadline.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
  #5
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,197
vCash: 50
I would love to get Regehr, but he's going to go to a Cup contender.

Also there are quite a bit of you guys that want Horton and my question is why would we want a guy who has more concussion history than Hishon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
That's a pretty terrible UFA crop.
People gotta blame Sherman somehow.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
  #6
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
That's a pretty terrible UFA crop. I'd avoid it and explore options to improve the defense through trade or letting the young guys develop rather than overpay for someone.

If we draft a center like MacKinnon or Barkov, look to deal Stastny for defensive help, whether at the draft or at the deadline.
It's not amazing when it comes to top end talent, but there are some solid useful players on that list.

I'd also like Horton, especially if we draft Jones with our pick. Horton would be what Jones was suppose to be on Stastny's wing, and hes won a Stanley Cup recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I would love to get Regehr, but he's going to go to a Cup contender.

Also there are quite a bit of you guys that want Horton and my question is why would we want a guy who has more concussion history than Hishon?
Because if he plays this year and in the playoffs without problems, I think hes fine. Doctors have said that once a concussion heals, the player is no more likely to get a concussion than any other player. Along with the fact that hes as close to another Stewart type power forward, and would be pretty awesome on Stastny's wing IMO.

I know some people disagree because of his injury (Concussion), but hes been hitting and fighting this year without any problems. If he makes it through play-offs without any serious injury, I'd say it's safe to say hes fine moving forward. Beyond what I said above anyways...

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
  #7
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,982
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Would like to see them go after Streit or Scuderi on D. Would love it if they got Clarkson for a reasonable price, and I actually think Cervenka would be a good grab for our team. He has plenty of raw tools, and would be a low risk type signing.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:38 PM
  #8
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,466
vCash: 500
I'd hope for this, assuming nobody from the draft makes the team

Scuderi 2-3 years 4-4.5m
MacArthur 3 years 3-3.5m
Trade Mitchell and SOB for picks/prospects

McGinn (1.75)-Duchene (3.5)-PAP (4)
Landy (3.575)-ROR (5)-Downie (2.65)
MacArthur (3.5)-Stastny (6.6)-Jones (4)
McLeod (1.15)-Malone (.9)-Bordy (.75)
Olver (.6)

Scuderi (4.5)-EJ(3.75)
Hejda (3.25)-Barrie (.9)
Wilson (2.25)-Elliott (.9)
Hunwick (1.6)
Zanon (2.25)

Varlamov (2.83)
JSG (1.5)

Total Cap Hit: ~$61.8 cap hit

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:38 PM
  #9
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
I voted for "Depends on who we draft". If we draft Jones and he is ready to play next season, i can't see us signing a UFA dman with how much Dmen we already have under contract through next season.

Ideally, we need a top 6 winger, and if we draft one of the forwards available maybe they would fill that need.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:40 PM
  #10
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Would like to see them go after Streit or Scuderi on D. Would love it if they got Clarkson for a reasonable price, and I actually think Cervenka would be a good grab for our team. He has plenty of raw tools, and would be a low risk type signing.
Hes a center right? I personally don't think we need anymore bottom six guys but that's me. Unless you're assuming Stastny is moved at the draft?

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
  #11
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Hes a center right? I personally don't think we need anymore bottom six guys but that's me. Unless you're assuming Stastny is moved at the draft?
Mostly plays wing.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
  #12
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,639
vCash: 50
Something something Ryan O'Byrne

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
  #13
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
I voted for "Depends on who we draft". If we draft Jones and he is ready to play next season, i can't see us signing a UFA dman with how much Dmen we already have under contract through next season.

Ideally, we need a top 6 winger, and if we draft one of the forwards available maybe they would fill that need.
I don't know even if we drafted Jones, we could get rid of Zannon and one of Hunwick or O'Brien.

Bringing in at least one vet would help with all the young guys, Hejda is too quiet IMO.

Streit - EJ

Scuderi - Jones

Hejda - Barrie

O'Brien / Hunwick

Siemens - Elliott (In the minors)

That's what's on my wish list to be honest. Streit @ 3yrs and Scuderi @ 2yrs, with fairly short contracts they shouldn't hurt our future. Hejda only has two years left I believe as well.


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-16-2013 at 04:59 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
  #14
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,681
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
That's a pretty terrible UFA crop. I'd avoid it and explore options to improve the defense through trade or letting the young guys develop rather than overpay for someone.

If we draft a center like MacKinnon or Barkov, look to deal Stastny for defensive help, whether at the draft or at the deadline.
It'll be even worse come July.

Free agency is dying and signing your players, even for inflated prices, will probably be the way to go in the future.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:43 PM
  #15
Avs71
Registered User
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
nevermind...

Scuderi would be nice.

People keep saying Streit only plays the right side?

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
  #16
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,864
vCash: 239
I wouldn't be too opposed to overpaying Jagr for a year to come here tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Because if he plays this year and in the playoffs without problems, I think hes fine. Doctors have said that once a concussion heals, the player is no more likely to get a concussion than any other player. Along with the fact that hes as close to another Stewart type power forward, and would be pretty awesome on Stastny's wing IMO.

I know some people disagree because of his injury (Concussion), but hes been hitting and fighting this year without any problems. If he makes it through play-offs without any serious injury, I'd say it's safe to say hes fine moving forward. Beyond what I said above anyways...
This is simply a play on words. While yes, you're no more likely to have your bell rung than anyone else, you are more likely to suffer a more severe concussion if it ever occurs again.

Once someone suffers a concussion, they have a vulnerable period of time post-concussion symptoms residing. Then they have a few years where they are more susceptible to suffering a higher degree concussion off of a lighter hit than someone previously unconcussed before.

Your brain never fully heals from something even as light as what Landeskog sustained, it just doesn't do any significant damage in the short term that we know of. Long term though, multiple concussions can lower your life expectancy. Of course, it's not an exact science since each concussion is different.


Last edited by Lonewolfe2015: 04-16-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
  #17
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
nevermind...

Scuderi would be nice.

People keep saying Streit only plays the right side?
I thought he played the left side, hes left handed? When I watched the last NYI vs NYR game, he played the right side on the power-play though.

Pretty sure I seen him on the left side otherwise at least once, but I only caught the final period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
This is simply a play on words. While yes, you're no more likely to have your bell rung than anyone else, you are more likely to suffer a more severe concussion if it ever occurs again.

Once someone suffers a concussion, they have a vulnerable period of time post-concussion symptoms residing. Then they have a few years where they are more susceptible to suffering a higher degree concussion off of a lighter hit than someone previously unconcussed before.

Your brain never fully heals from something even as light as what Landeskog sustained, it just doesn't do any significant damage in the short term that we know of. Long term though, multiple concussions can lower your life expectancy. Of course, it's not an exact science since each concussion is different.

I wouldn't be too opposed to overpaying Jagr for a year to come here tbh.
Fair enough, but Horton seems to be taking punches fine this year. Hes gotten better as the season has gone along as well. I wouldn't offer him an eight year contract (Someone might..), but 20M over four years I'd do.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
  #18
Avs71
Registered User
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
Some Cup experience would also be nice. Unfortunately, all the players that have this look to be close to 40 years old.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:50 PM
  #19
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Some Cup experience would also be nice. Unfortunately, all the players that have this look to be close to 40 years old.
Penner has two Stanley Cups,

(Joking aside, this is why I like Scuds and Horton so much. I think Scuds has a couple years left in him.)

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:57 PM
  #20
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I don't know even if we drafted Jones, we could get rid of Zannon and one of Hunwick or O'Brien.

Bringing in at least one vet would help with all the young guys, Hejda is too quiet IMO.

Steit - EJ

Scuderi - Jones

Hejda - Barrie

O'Brien / Hunwick

Siemens - Elliott (In the minors)

That's what's on my wish list to be honest. Streit @ 3yrs and Scuderi @ 2yrs, with fairly short contracts they shouldn't hurt our future. Hejda only has two years left I believe as well.
I would like that to happen too, but a lot of things would have to go right. But i'm a pessimist by nature. So i think our best chance of improving our D are:

Drafting Jones (if he is as good as advertised and ready to join us next season);
Using Stastny in a trade;
Siemens being ready and capable of playing significant minutes;

But i certanly hope your wish comes true.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:03 PM
  #21
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
I would like that to happen too, but a lot of things would have to go right. But i'm a pessimist by nature. So i think our best chance of improving our D are:

Drafting Jones (if he is as good as advertised and ready to join us next season);
Using Stastny in a trade;
Siemens being ready and capable of playing significant minutes;

But i certanly hope your wish comes true.
It's a wish for sure...

Streit wouldn't need to be on the same paring as our offensive guys in order to help them out. Just being in practices and on the bench he would probably have an impact.

Scuds could do a lot to help the overall locker room, and our defense first guys. Hejda is great on the ice, but I think our most vocal defenders are probably EJ and O'Brien right now.

The biggest road block for me believing they would actually do this is money to be honest. Do they see enough need in order to spend the money on two different types of vets?

It may not lead to a Cup within the next two years, but the effects could be there after they are gone in our younger players.

(Surprised Scuds is getting more votes than Streit right now.)

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:29 PM
  #22
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
It's a wish for sure...

Streit wouldn't need to be on the same paring as our offensive guys in order to help them out. Just being in practices and on the bench he would probably have an impact.

Scuds could do a lot to help the overall locker room, and our defense first guys. Hejda is great on the ice, but I think our most vocal defenders are probably EJ and O'Brien right now.

The biggest road block for me believing they would actually do this is money to be honest. Do they see enough need in order to spend the money on two different types of vets?

It may not lead to a Cup within the next two years, but the effects could be there after they are gone in our younger players.

(Surprised Scuds is getting more votes than Streit right now.)
To me, there is two sticking points:

1) I don't think we would be one the most attractive options to those guys. So in order to get one of them we would have to overpay, or give more years than we would like.

2) How do we get rid of the dead weight we have on D? Sure it looks an easy thing to do, but would our mgmt be willing to buy out those guys if we don't find any takers? As you said, money might be problem.

Ideally a defense like:

Scuderi - Johnson
Hejda - Jones
Wilson - Barrie
Hunwick

With Siemens and Elliott in the minors would be ok.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
  #23
GeoffL19
Registered User
 
GeoffL19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 800
Bickell is on the top of my list, followed by Dupuis.

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
  #24
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
What's your opinion on Filppula? How would he look on a line with Duchene and PAP??

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
  #25
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Do people really think Elliott should start the year in the minors? I would have thought so too, but not after his recent stretch of strong play. We really could use his puck moving presence.

My one wish is Scuderi, but he's likely to cash in and I don't see us committing more than a couple of years to ANYONE. I would imagine we see Gonchar or Streit before we see Scuderi.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.