HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LX

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
To add to that, how can we say the Canucks system is broken and the coaching staff is doing an awful job when they've been getting results with such a weak group of centremen and dealing with injuries to the forward group?

IMO the problem was clearly up the middle of the ice and I believe now that that area has been addressed we will continue to see this team excel.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The Canucks current winning % of .650 this season is right in line with the .667 they posted last season en route to the President's trophy. Not bad for a team that had pathetic centre depth all season until the last 4 games. They've also been marginally better this season 5 on 5, without Kesler providing much at all. That's encouraging when you consider how much Kesler can drive even strength play.

This team sure eats a lot of **** for how outstanding they've been over the last 3 years.
Fire AV. Fire Bowness. Fire Brown. Fire Gillis. Fire Finn.

Quote:
To add to that, how can we say the Canucks system is broken and the coaching staff is doing an awful job when they've been getting results with such a weak group of centremen and dealing with injuries to the forward group?

IMO the problem was clearly up the middle of the ice and I believe now that that area has been addressed we will continue to see this team excel.
My problem has always been the lack of compete (eg., sure the Flames lost the other night even they showed up - but that's the key; they showed up! Canucks had been far too many nights MIA - heck, they largely were that game as well only they had the talent this time to overcome that).

Old
04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Dana Murzyn

Most irritating sports jargon of the last ten years? Using 'compete' as a noun.

That's right, Gumble, I'm looking at you.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:

Well forward group aside, it was the defense that had me face-palming most nights.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post

They were "mailing it in" alot.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
My problem has always been the lack of compete (eg., sure the Flames lost the other night even they showed up - but that's the key; they showed up! Canucks had been far too many nights MIA - heck, they largely were that game as well only they had the talent this time to overcome that).
I think that tends to happen when you've got a veteran team though. They generally know how much effort they need to put in to pull out wins against crappy teams.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:

His back was against the wall. You have body position on him, so he just needs to get back to basics and take it one post at a time. It is what it is.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:07 PM
PRNuck

Quote:

That, and I'm very unhappy with this new phrase that's popped up: "he activates from the point".

Old
04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
The Canucks current winning % of .650 this season is right in line with the .667 they posted last season en route to the President's trophy. Not bad for a team that had pathetic centre depth all season until the last 4 games. They've also been marginally better this season 5 on 5, without Kesler providing much at all. That's encouraging when you consider how much Kesler can drive even strength play.

This team sure eats a lot of **** for how outstanding they've been over the last 3 years.
Some posters are just delusional. There was a pretty vocal group that wanted Alain Vigneault fired after last season's playoffs, despite the lack of reasonable substitutes. It is simply untenable to suggest that a coach should be fired after he coaches his team to back to back Presidents trophies. Moreover, at that time Vigenault was only one year removed from taking his team to within one game of the Stanley Cup. Over the past five years Vigneault has been one of the best coaches in the NHL.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:30 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Some posters are just delusional. There was a pretty vocal group that wanted Alain Vigneault fired after last season's playoffs, despite the lack of reasonable substitutes. It is simply untenable to suggest that a coach should be fired after he coaches his team to back to back Presidents trophies. Moreover, at that time Vigenault was only one year removed from taking his team to within one game of the Stanley Cup. Over the past five years Vigneault has been one of the best coaches in the NHL.
Having a different opinion from you doesn't make someone delusional.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:40 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Having a different opinion from you doesn't make someone delusional.
But it is when the opinion is not supported by facts...
Just want to put it out there...

Old
04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Targeted the head, distinct licking motion. 4 Games.
What's difference between licking someone and.spitting on them in? Functionally both means of transferring saliva and diseases.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Well forward group aside, it was the defense that had me face-palming most nights.
Too many D prone to potentially game costing adventure nights is what scares me.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:32 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
What's difference between licking someone and.spitting on them in? Functionally both means of transferring saliva and diseases.
licking is more intimate, shows passion !

Old
04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
crazycanuck

Have to say, I was a big Shanahan defender but he's losing it. How Hall doesn't get even a phone call for that lumberjack chop on Michalek is absolutely horrendous.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:59 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Have to say, I was a big Shanahan defender but he's losing it. How Hall doesn't get even a phone call for that lumberjack chop on Michalek is absolutely horrendous.
Michalek wasn't injured was he?

injury = suspension

Old
04-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisReynolds View Post
Michalek wasn't injured was he?

injury = suspension
Shouldn't matter, stupidity should be suspended and that was a clear case of stupidity. Shanahan is a useless POS.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
It reminds reminds me if how the league works: something stupid happens and the league ignores it, realises it's mistake then over compensates. Lucic on Miller, league should have nipped running over goalies right there and then and sent a message. Shanahan should have sent a message that this won't be tolerated, instead he just set the bar for what was acceptable without even a fine.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
2nd or 3rd makes little difference. You have no idea who is going to be in 6th or 7th come the end of the year. Ideally i hope Vancouver plays one of the Cali teams to reduce travel. Preferable S.J. first round Anaheim second round, L.A. third round. Let not leave the time zone. Of course i would welcome Phoenix instead of S.J. but that is unlikely. Next year when the divisions change are the first two rounds of the playoffs division centric? That would be great as no more long post season travel early in playoffs at least. Playing Minny, Chicago, St Louis this year Detroit is a long haul back and forth.
If the top 3 advance through the first round, then 2nd or 3rd means the difference between home ice or no home ice against the Ducks in the 2nd round. That should be a big advantage if the Canucks can protect home ice.

Quote:
On where to finish....the Wild aren't catching the canucks and the canucks aren't catching the Ducks. They will in all likelihood be third. The Ducks go 3-3-1 means the canucks have to go 7-1 to tie in points and force the ROW tiebreaker (who knows who that would go to). They'd have to be 7-0-1 to guarantee 2nd. The Ducks have 4 games against the Jackets, Flames and Oilers. I'd love to see second as it would mean the canucks go into the playoffs as one of the best and hottest teams in the NHL, but it just isn't likely.
Canucks are only 2 ROW behind the Ducks. In that scenario, the Canucks likely take it. Really though the Canucks need to win the game in hand on Saturday, win the head to head matchup, and close the 3 point gap in the other 6 games. It's do-able, considering the Ducks recent regression back to the mean.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Phx could move into equal 8th today (chi beats det, Phx beats sad sack flames).

Couple more teams hanging about too. Race for 8th is alive and interesting, even more so with Minny struggling ATM. Chicago and Anaheim could get a couple of pigeons if things fall their way. 3vs6 and 4vs5 are going to be nasty.

Last edited by me2: 04-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Kesler is Bestler

Quote:
Because Edmonton is fighting for the final playoff seed

Old
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Results
Can't Be Argued With

Ottawa wins a game in which they were outshot 33-11.

Give that man a Jack Adams!

Old
04-12-2013, 10:31 PM
just22
meat and taters

Who the hell is Alex Chiasson? 5 goals in his first 5 NHL games

Dallas traded away Ryder, Roy and Jagr this season, yet there's still a chance they can make the playoffs... crazy

Old
04-12-2013, 10:39 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
Who the hell is Alex Chiasson? 5 goals in his first 5 NHL games

Dallas traded away Ryder, Roy and Jagr this season, yet there's still a chance they can make the playoffs... crazy
I proposed a trade a long time ago for Chiasson. The kid is good.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:46 PM
canuck4life16

calgary win again......not sure if they are tanking or not?

Closed Thread