What is REALLY wrong?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
This is the million dollar question, isn't it? Can they simply turn it on when it matters? I certainly hope so, but I'm not very confident in this group as a whole right now.
It all depends on what the issue is right now.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

BTW...Erik Karlsson might play tomorrow.

...WOW!

04-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post

...WOW!
Hopefully, he can help the free failling 4-6-0 Sens to stay where they are in 7th...

Old
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Right now, #7 is Ottawa. They are 4-6-0 in their last 10. Should we stay in #2 or be afraid?
I'm prolly least afraid of Ottawa then anyone else they may play, but....

If the Bruins keep playing with no emotion or intensity, don't start finishing their checks, keep putting passes into the skates of team-mates, and keep turning the puck over in their own end, I don't see them winning a series, even against Ottawa.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post

...WOW!
Yea, really put a hurting on them. I mean slaughtered a depleted team !
3-2
3-2 so
2-1
2-1 OT

How dominant!

Old
04-24-2013, 02:22 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
I think they can and will. This is the same bunch of guys that won in 2011. They know how to win and what needs to get done. Plenty of battle tested guys. Add Rask who has something to prove after his last playoffs apparence against Phily, Jagr who is our new Recchi, Hamilton, Soderberg and Redden, and we have a better team than 2011.

Unless they are satisfied with one Cup? Nah... Can't be. They'll battle and they may go down before the distance. But I will be surprise if this team is the first one in Julien era to lose a playoffs series in less than 7...

We'll see like you said. That's the beauty of the game.
That is one thing about this group - even when they have lost in the playoffs, they have pushed it to 7. Including years when they were huge underdogs ('08), underperforming favorites ('09 & '12), or when they just played meh hockey for an entire year ('10), they have yet to be blown out of a series in 4 or 5, and have always at least pushed it to 7 (and twice to OT in game 7). That said, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the first Julien-era team to completely fold in a series.....just as it would not surprise me if they found their game and went deep.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:30 PM
WreckItRask

Like everyone else, nothing about the Bruins recent plays brings me a sense of optimism. But I do have to laugh at the people categorically dismissing them as a Cup Contender. I'd be more surprised by a long playoff run than I would an early exit, but anyone that says that teams would be thrilled to draw the Bruins in the first round are insane. For all that's wrong with this team, they still have the 2nd most points in the EC, 2nd highest goal differential in the EC, etc. And they've done this largely with their best players (other than the Bergeron line) struggling most of the season. Not to mention the fact that they've already won a cup as a group, they have steady goaltending, etc.

I'm not overly optimistic about their chances, don't get me wrong, but this thread could become laughable in a month if they flip the switch. Coming into this season, most people just believed that getting into the dance was the first goal, more than ever, and then it's anyone's ball game. I think that still holds true.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:50 PM
PlayMakers

I think the problem is an inability to play to their identity.

Lucic has struggled for much of this season. Horton isn't right. Thornton has been less effective this season. They played most of the season without any real physical presence in the top9...

To take it a step further, I think this goes back to them bullying their way to a Stanley Cup and the league deciding that was bad for their image. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but it sure seems like there's been an effort to 'cage the beast' so to speak with regards to the B's. Every time they get into a big game and try to play their nasty, on-the-edge style they end up spending half the game in the box. (And this goes all the way back to their rematch with Vancouver in 2012.) As a result, we have a team that seems, well, neutered. They're afraid to rage, and they're not very good at playing inspired hockey without that extra emotional kicker.

If they can't get it together for the playoffs (and it sure looks right now like they won't), then I think that Chiarelli has to take a long hard look at this roster this summer. Can they be successful playing big, bad hockey? If that answer is still yes, then Chiarelli needs to get more muscle into the middle-six of the lineup. If the answer is no, then maybe he needs to consider swapping out some of our big, tough defensemen for more skill and puck moving ability. Because right now, they're not that physical, they're not overwhelming anyone with skill or speed. So what are they?

04-24-2013, 03:07 PM
WBC8

Chicago won the Cup, then had an 8th place finish, then 4th and got bounced in round 1 twice...they now look to have to together and have kept the core together without panicking...I'm thinking the Bruins take that approach regardless of this season..Hard to be judge and jury during a screwed up shortened season....

I can understand that, but I for one am sick of the excuses. They stopped playing the way they need too...they are not talented enough to win it just on skill IMO. The play-offs allow for a far more physical game so they better bring it. They also pimp the fact that they are the best PK team in the league, so that should allow them to play with more of an edge.

This team lost it's swagger this year...especially from January 31st on. Some has to do with ref paranoia I'm sure...but 99% of it is upstairs.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I think the problem is an inability to play to their identity.

Lucic has struggled for much of this season. Horton isn't right. Thornton has been less effective this season. They played most of the season without any real physical presence in the top9...

To take it a step further, I think this goes back to them bullying their way to a Stanley Cup and the league deciding that was bad for their image. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but it sure seems like there's been an effort to 'cage the beast' so to speak with regards to the B's. Every time they get into a big game and try to play their nasty, on-the-edge style they end up spending half the game in the box. (And this goes all the way back to their rematch with Vancouver in 2012.) As a result, we have a team that seems, well, neutered. They're afraid to rage, and they're not very good at playing inspired hockey without that extra emotional kicker.

If they can't get it together for the playoffs (and it sure looks right now like they won't), then I think that Chiarelli has to take a long hard look at this roster this summer. Can they be successful playing big, bad hockey? If that answer is still yes, then Chiarelli needs to get more muscle into the middle-six of the lineup. If the answer is no, then maybe he needs to consider swapping out some of our big, tough defensemen for more skill and puck moving ability. Because right now, they're not that physical, they're not overwhelming anyone with skill or speed. So what are they?
You're definitely not wrong, I'm sure you noticed that at the start of this season Lucic was getting penalties for pretty much looking at people the wrong way, not sure if that's played a part in it or not, but even in January last when the league cracked down on them and Neely and CJ said they weren't going to change the way they played the game, they did.

Maybe they didn't do it on purpose, but it seems like they adapted to all the garbage body checking penalties and just stopped playing like that all together, the sad part is they have to play that way to be successful.

Here's to hoping they get their edge back.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Chicago won the Cup, then had an 8th place finish, then 4th and got bounced in round 1 twice...they now look to have to together and have kept the core together without panicking...I'm thinking the Bruins take that approach regardless of this season..Hard to be judge and jury during a screwed up shortened season....

I can understand that, but I for one am sick of the excuses. They stopped playing the way they need too...they are not talented enough to win it just on skill IMO. The play-offs allow for a far more physical game so they better bring it. They also pimp the fact that they are the best PK team in the league, so that should allow them to play with more of an edge.

This team lost it's swagger this year...especially from January 31st on. Some has to do with ref paranoia I'm sure...but 99% of it is upstairs.
That's where I'm at too, I don't think you can take this season and make the decision to blow it up. They've had probably less than a half dozen actual practices to work on the areas they need to improve in.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:17 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
That's where I'm at too, I don't think you can take this season and make the decision to blow it up. They've had probably less than a half dozen actual practices to work on the areas they need to improve in.
Would have to check cap #'s...but going into next season.. D would need an upgrade

Marchand-Bergy-Seguin
Soderberg-DK-Jagr
Lucic-Kelly-Knight
Paille-Soup-Thornton

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Bartkowski
Krug-McQuaid

Rask-Svedberg

Old
04-24-2013, 03:17 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

Agreed 100%.

This team needs to bully to be effective, and when you have the league's best PK (except seemingly late in games) you play that style and live and die by the sword.

The problem is that being neutered doesn't explain the blown coverages and lack of execution in their own zone. I submit that their problem isn't so much the physical play it's the fact they don't have a suffocating defense any longer, they don't do a good job of limiting great chances, and when the opponent has great chances, Rask isn't Thomas.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
The problem is that being neutered doesn't explain the blown coverages and lack of execution in their own zone. I submit that their problem isn't so much the physical play it's the fact they don't have a suffocating defense any longer, they don't do a good job of limiting great chances, and when the opponent has great chances, Rask isn't Thomas.
The Bruins aren't scoring enough....plain and simple.

Rask during this losing streak is getting the same treatment he had a few years ago....if he doesn't post a shutout, he's most likely going to lose.

No way Boston should be struggling this much to score goals!

Old
04-24-2013, 03:22 PM
patty59

Quote:
Agreed 100%.

This team needs to bully to be effective, and when you have the league's best PK (except seemingly late in games) you play that style and live and die by the sword.

That might have to do with a lack of practice time?

I know every team is dealing with the same schedule, but every team has had games where they play like absolute crap.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:34 PM
gillesgilbert

We could speculate forever on things such as maybe the players have tuned Julien out or there is a cancer in the dressing room.I think it's late in the year to resolve those kind of issues, regardless.I think CJ has to adapt to the realities of the situation he is in.He is trying to create balanced scoring with his lines and it just isn't happening.I didn't watch the 3rd period last night but apparently he had all his big guns on the top two lines.I think it is the only way to go moving forward.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:36 PM
VanIsle

Goal scoring is their main problem.

When a team scores 12 goals in their last 6 games that is a big cause for distress.

Sure Rask has let in a soft goal here and there, but keeping an NHL team to 1 goal or less for 6 straight games is almost impossible.

Juliens lack of playing his top line players is also a problem, Jagr seems to be the only guy doing anything at all offensively and Julien is giving him only 17 minutes per game, bump it up to 20 for the love of god.

Also the consistent defensive line juggling must also be a problem for some of the guys, playing with a different partner every other game has an effect on the goals that we saw last night, odd man rushes and breakaways are not a norm for this team.

Give Chara a one game rest like he has been giving the others.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
That might have to do with a lack of practice time?

I know every team is dealing with the same schedule, but every team has had games where they play like absolute crap.
Maybe, it's certainly possible. But no matter what, if they don't fix it they won't win. They're not scoring enough to make up for lousy defense on top of it. Last night alone Krejci gave up an easy goal on a play Jagr should have cleared the zone on, so two giveaways in one shift. Goal 2 was Marchand doing a Lucic impersonation and giving the puck away three times on one shift. And the 5th goal there was zero coverage in front. And that doesn't even count the Giroux play where he was left all alone in the slot and hit every part of the post without going in. I mean we looked worse in our end than Philly did in theirs, and against a Laviolette team with a ton of callups, that's pretty hard to do.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:01 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
What is REALLY wrong?

They are tired and they have a confidence problem, neither of which is going to be fixed easily or quickly.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:13 PM
patty59

Quote:
Maybe, it's certainly possible. But no matter what, if they don't fix it they won't win. They're not scoring enough to make up for lousy defense on top of it. Last night alone Krejci gave up an easy goal on a play Jagr should have cleared the zone on, so two giveaways in one shift. Goal 2 was Marchand doing a Lucic impersonation and giving the puck away three times on one shift. And the 5th goal there was zero coverage in front. And that doesn't even count the Giroux play where he was left all alone in the slot and hit every part of the post without going in. I mean we looked worse in our end than Philly did in theirs, and against a Laviolette team with a ton of callups, that's pretty hard to do.
No doubt about it, but I think they have enough talent on that squad that they can at least win while trying to get their **** together. The mental errors should be fixable. Now finding their swagger might be another story.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:16 PM
C77

They only have one Jagr.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:24 PM
C77

Well I started to get really concerned after the 2nd blown lead against Montreal...because they didn't respond at all the next game at Philadelphia and the next game against Buffalo was really bad too.

Things haven't improved since then and at first the offensive production slumped which was predictable but lately even the penalty kill and defensive play has taken a further step back. I thought earlier in the season that the goaltending was really bailing them out for sub-par defensive play compared to past years but lately no goalie is going to save them.

I hope they turn things around because it would be a shame to waste another year due to mental make-up issues instead of a lack of talent.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Danton Heineken
Hot Carl Willis

Do the Boston Bruins need to lighten up?

They had an excellent start to the season, but all during that run, the media and fans said over and over that the best was yet to come and the Bruins weren't playing their best hockey. They've been struggling mightily, pressing hard, and it just seems like their heart isn't in it.

Maybe the burden of expectations and underperformance has gotten to them mentally. Of course, the compressed schedule has been mentioned ad naseum, but it is a glaring factor. I don't know how many more practices are left before the playoffs, but maybe the Bruins need a light-hearted, fun practice with a scrimmage game or shootout contest, some kind of healthy competition. Maybe with a team-building trip afterwards, which has been a staple of this team in years past.

Jaromir Jagr's personality would be perfect for this type of practice, and maybe his attitude would permeate to the rest of the team. If they were all having as much fun as he's having, who knows how well they could play.

Your thoughts? Do the Bruins need to lighten up?

Old
04-24-2013, 06:14 PM
westernhome

I think they need sleep and no practices, the playoffs are in a week and still some games to be played, they've practiced enough, now they need 110% on the ice... no time and no more excuses

Old
04-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Rubber Biscuit

They had a bit of a light-hearted practice earlier in the year. I don't remember when so I can't speak to the results, though.

But I think they definitely need to lighten it up a bit and get back to basics. A team-building trip would be great, since I'm sure they didn't have one to start the year.

Closed Thread