Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

What is REALLY wrong?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 03:34 PM
gillesgilbert

vCash: 500
We could speculate forever on things such as maybe the players have tuned Julien out or there is a cancer in the dressing room.I think it's late in the year to resolve those kind of issues, regardless.I think CJ has to adapt to the realities of the situation he is in.He is trying to create balanced scoring with his lines and it just isn't happening.I didn't watch the 3rd period last night but apparently he had all his big guns on the top two lines.I think it is the only way to go moving forward.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:36 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Goal scoring is their main problem.

When a team scores 12 goals in their last 6 games that is a big cause for distress.

Sure Rask has let in a soft goal here and there, but keeping an NHL team to 1 goal or less for 6 straight games is almost impossible.

Juliens lack of playing his top line players is also a problem, Jagr seems to be the only guy doing anything at all offensively and Julien is giving him only 17 minutes per game, bump it up to 20 for the love of god.

Also the consistent defensive line juggling must also be a problem for some of the guys, playing with a different partner every other game has an effect on the goals that we saw last night, odd man rushes and breakaways are not a norm for this team.

Give Chara a one game rest like he has been giving the others.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
That might have to do with a lack of practice time?

I know every team is dealing with the same schedule, but every team has had games where they play like absolute crap.
Maybe, it's certainly possible. But no matter what, if they don't fix it they won't win. They're not scoring enough to make up for lousy defense on top of it. Last night alone Krejci gave up an easy goal on a play Jagr should have cleared the zone on, so two giveaways in one shift. Goal 2 was Marchand doing a Lucic impersonation and giving the puck away three times on one shift. And the 5th goal there was zero coverage in front. And that doesn't even count the Giroux play where he was left all alone in the slot and hit every part of the post without going in. I mean we looked worse in our end than Philly did in theirs, and against a Laviolette team with a ton of callups, that's pretty hard to do.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:01 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
What is REALLY wrong?

They are tired and they have a confidence problem, neither of which is going to be fixed easily or quickly.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:13 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Maybe, it's certainly possible. But no matter what, if they don't fix it they won't win. They're not scoring enough to make up for lousy defense on top of it. Last night alone Krejci gave up an easy goal on a play Jagr should have cleared the zone on, so two giveaways in one shift. Goal 2 was Marchand doing a Lucic impersonation and giving the puck away three times on one shift. And the 5th goal there was zero coverage in front. And that doesn't even count the Giroux play where he was left all alone in the slot and hit every part of the post without going in. I mean we looked worse in our end than Philly did in theirs, and against a Laviolette team with a ton of callups, that's pretty hard to do.
No doubt about it, but I think they have enough talent on that squad that they can at least win while trying to get their **** together. The mental errors should be fixable. Now finding their swagger might be another story.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:16 PM
C77

They only have one Jagr.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:24 PM
C77

Well I started to get really concerned after the 2nd blown lead against Montreal...because they didn't respond at all the next game at Philadelphia and the next game against Buffalo was really bad too.

Things haven't improved since then and at first the offensive production slumped which was predictable but lately even the penalty kill and defensive play has taken a further step back. I thought earlier in the season that the goaltending was really bailing them out for sub-par defensive play compared to past years but lately no goalie is going to save them.

I hope they turn things around because it would be a shame to waste another year due to mental make-up issues instead of a lack of talent.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Do the Boston Bruins need to lighten up?

They had an excellent start to the season, but all during that run, the media and fans said over and over that the best was yet to come and the Bruins weren't playing their best hockey. They've been struggling mightily, pressing hard, and it just seems like their heart isn't in it.

Maybe the burden of expectations and underperformance has gotten to them mentally. Of course, the compressed schedule has been mentioned ad naseum, but it is a glaring factor. I don't know how many more practices are left before the playoffs, but maybe the Bruins need a light-hearted, fun practice with a scrimmage game or shootout contest, some kind of healthy competition. Maybe with a team-building trip afterwards, which has been a staple of this team in years past.

Jaromir Jagr's personality would be perfect for this type of practice, and maybe his attitude would permeate to the rest of the team. If they were all having as much fun as he's having, who knows how well they could play.

Your thoughts? Do the Bruins need to lighten up?

Old
04-24-2013, 06:14 PM
westernhome

I think they need sleep and no practices, the playoffs are in a week and still some games to be played, they've practiced enough, now they need 110% on the ice... no time and no more excuses

Old
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

They had a bit of a light-hearted practice earlier in the year. I don't remember when so I can't speak to the results, though.

But I think they definitely need to lighten it up a bit and get back to basics. A team-building trip would be great, since I'm sure they didn't have one to start the year.

Old
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
I believe you are on to something.

The B's play better when they are loose and laughing. They need to get that swagger back. Jagr is playing that way and I hope it rubs off on the rest of them. I hate seeing the slumping shoulders and frowns.

IMHO a couple of good games (soon please) could turn them around.

I know this sounds silly but some positive energy from the fans can't hurt.

Bring Savvy down and put him behind the bench. He was always a spark plug.

04-24-2013, 06:16 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

You could very well be on to something, it really has been awhile since any of these guys looked like they were having fun, enjoying the game, etc.

That could be a big reason for the lackluster play

Old
04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
westernhome

here is a good motivational video from 2011

Old
04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I believe you are on to something.

The B's play better when they are loose and laughing. They need to get that swagger back. Jagr is playing that way and I hope it rubs off on the rest of them. I hate seeing the slumping shoulders and frowns.

IMHO a couple of good games (soon please) could turn them around.

I know this sounds silly but some positive energy from the fans can't hurt.

Bring Savvy down and put him behind the bench. He was always a spark plug.
--
I see what you say. Jagr is/has fun with the puck! Not so much when he doesn't though. He is different from all Bruins player and Bruins system.

I hope this will or can make a difference in the playoff.

B

Old
04-24-2013, 07:50 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
They had an excellent start to the season, but all during that run, the media and fans said over and over that the best was yet to come and the Bruins weren't playing their best hockey. They've been struggling mightily, pressing hard, and it just seems like their heart isn't in it.

Maybe the burden of expectations and underperformance has gotten to them mentally. Of course, the compressed schedule has been mentioned ad naseum, but it is a glaring factor. I don't know how many more practices are left before the playoffs, but maybe the Bruins need a light-hearted, fun practice with a scrimmage game or shootout contest, some kind of healthy competition. Maybe with a team-building trip afterwards, which has been a staple of this team in years past.

Jaromir Jagr's personality would be perfect for this type of practice, and maybe his attitude would permeate to the rest of the team. If they were all having as much fun as he's having, who knows how well they could play.

Your thoughts? Do the Bruins need to lighten up?
The excellent start wasn't really as impressive as the record indicated. They won a lot of games in OT or via the shoot out, which shows me the games were far closer and could have gone the other way just as easily. It's why I didn't buy into the hype early on. They weren't as good as people thought then, just like they're not as bad as people think now. What they need is some consistency with the lines and roles. Once all the new guys figure where they fit, they'll be pretty scary.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
KrazyLegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post

Feels like an eon ago. Not sure if that team exists anymore.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:12 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:

I honestly nearly shed a tear haha. **** that game was awesome. I bet people that hadn't sat down yet were pissed when they missed 3 fights! And Raycroft too. If people think this team has anything close to that in them they're crazy. No offence, but I don't care if they had a week off this team would just not play with that much fire .. or score that many goals.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
This team reminds me of 2008-09. Hot start followed by a coast.

Sad thing is that talent wise this team is better than the cup team, just need to get back that swagger

Old
04-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

As Brick has said before, "we need some more goal-scoring."

It's simple, stop playing like a bunch of pansies and start putting together a solid 60 minute game. We're not playing our style. We're not hitting/physical, we're not rolling out three scoring lines, we're not playing sound defense in our own end. This team is usually known for those three elements year in and year out.

Lack of effort.....

Last edited by Confound: 04-24-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old
04-24-2013, 10:24 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:

A lot of similar names, but a team that isn't even a shadow of that team unfortunately...at least not the last two years.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:28 PM
CamFan81
Derp

This entire team from Top to bottom has underwhelming.

I mean, yes you can look at lucic's goals / horton's drive and say wtf?! but to me, looking at the 3rd line prior to kelly's injury and see Peverley and Kelly playing like absolute dog **** was what got me worried.

Yea bourque / pandolfo blah blah, but that was no reason for the half hearted efforts. Although the kid barfed on himself when he had the puck, there were many a night I thought Bourque out hustled both peverley + Kelly. That's hard to do since guys like that make up for their lack of talent w/ hustle and commitment.

When I see guys like that not giving a **** (or at least appear not to) then I know that the entire team either

1) Is to worried about the compressed schedule and plays with the anticipation of being tired.
2) Complacency is contagious and a lot of players are taking the same nights off
3) I got nothing

I'm not saying any of the above is the sole contributor or biggest contributor to they're performance of late. Just something I can't let go when I watch them. The same guys we saw work their ass off in 2010/2011, didn't work their ass off in 2011/2012 or for the better part of this season either.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

This team is in a slump and unlike a regular season, a slump carries harder.

You have a few guys who are lagging or aren't taking the pace well- Lucic being the biggest problem here. Before the playoffs they need to rest guys- Chara and Lucic being the ones needing it the most.

The 2nd thing this team needs is to just get into a series, hate an opponent and decide they want it and that they're going to do whatever it takes to win. It's something that can't be coached into them, told to them or whatever- they just need to want it. I look to guys like Thorty, Ference, Chara to set the tone on this point.

If the team can become motivated then it's just injury and fatigue they're against. Keep Tuukka going, give him the support and this team can go places. If they fail to do that, we see another early exit.

Other than that, the details that can be coached are minor:
-Team needs to make sure that forwards are deeper and control the break out better so that they can have speed in the neutral zone.
-They also need to make plays that give them more opportunity to support the puck once entering the zone (Seguin, I'm looking at you).
-The PK needs to continue to be aggressive but avoid overdoing it and getting out of position (I've even seen Bergy do this a few times lately).
-Passes need to be crisper and they should look for shorter passes to prevent them from losing speed in the neutral zone.
-In the offensive end they need to be smarter when with the puck high- they're looking at too many risky options- keep possession and work down low.
-On the PP, keep moving in the direction they are, mostly work with the 2nd unit on being willing to regroup and attack in unison if the neutral zone stymies them (Dougie specifically needs to know he can reset rather than force a dump in chase where the guys chasing are flat footed).

Old
04-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

This team on paper, is very good and should be more than capable of making it deep this year. We got the team and we are healthy, no excuses...

It's scary how much they look like they just don't give a **** as the season winds down. I have been pretty lenient with them because I have said I'm just going to wait and see what the playoffs bring us.

I hope they can flip the switch once the playoffs roll around. I think that's what everyone is hoping for at least.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
I think they need sleep and no practices, the playoffs are in a week and still some games to be played, they've practiced enough, now they need 110% on the ice... no time and no more excuses
This.

While I liked Claude saying that using "being tired" was "BS", he used that EXACT excuse multiple times this season. It's not BS though, this team looks spent.

I say screw trying to win the division. If it happens by accident then so be it. I'd give a few guys tomorrow night off.

I'd let Chara and Seidenberg stay home tomorrow. Don't even bring them to Washington. No skating, ban them from the rink until Sunday. I play the wheels off Dougie Hamilton Thursday and Saturday to see what he has left in the tank, then give him Sunday off. I give Ference Saturday off. Rest the defense.

I play Rask Thursday and Saturday, start Dobby Sunday.

I'd also lock down some lines. Too much ****ing around the last week or two. That said, I give every single regular forward at least one game off between today and Sunday.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Bruinator

Food for thought. The Bruins had more people playing throughout the lockout than any other team. Almost the entire team as a matter of fact. This would explain their quick start, but would it also explain their play of late. Is it possible that they are wearing out where other teams are hitting their stride?

Closed Thread