HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Orphan Black - BBC America's New Series

Old
09-29-2013, 03:12 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

vCash: 500
10/10 show, would power through it again.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Finnpin

For Finns, whole season 1 is available in YLE Areena (for free) till 02/2014.

Just finished episode 2 and I'm hooked.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 01:54 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Of all the things I'm looking forward to seeing in 2014, it's the return of Orphan Black and the great Tatiana Maslany that tops the list.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:30 PM
SJSharksfan39

Just read today that Michelle Forbes will be joining the series in a recurring role for Season 2. That makes me really happy. Really loved her as Ensign Ro in Star Trek: TNG and Admiral Cain in Battlestar Galactica. Makes me look forward to Season 2 even more.

Old
03-15-2014, 01:08 AM
SJSharksfan39

We're close to a month away from season two and the trailers I've seen have been excellent. Decided to start a rewatch of season 1 tonight so I'm watching the first episode and man did these characters ever develop. Can't wait till the 19th of April.

Here is the new trailer, which looks all kinds of awesome.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39: 03-15-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old
03-15-2014, 07:41 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

One of the best acting performances I have ever seen. Tatiana Maslany is simply brilliant in Orphan Black.

I burned through the entire season 1 in a few days. While overall the show is probably less than the sum of its' parts, it is understandable when one of those parts is so spectacular.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:37 PM
SJSharksfan39

In preparation for Season 2, I just started a season 1 rewatch, and it's amazing the type of stuff you pick up watching this series again. For example, I just watched episode 2, Instinct, and the scene where Felix meets Mrs. S and she says "Kira is a Gift...Sarah has no idea" got to me, especially considering Kira seems to know about the clones and her miracle healing after the car accident. It got me thinking though, we don't know who the father is right? Sarah's an Orphan, has a daughter, but who is the father and really who is Kira? Is she an experiment from the clones and something else, or is she just a really special girl.

Like I said, I'm only up through episode 2 and I'm looking forward to the rest of this rewatch (And of course season 2) but it's cool how it seemed like this season was pretty planned out from the beginning. One of the things that got me hooked on the show was the momentum of the first episode never let up for the remainder of the season. It was a pretty fun ride, not to mention I got introduced to who is now my current favorite Actress today, the great Tatiana Maslany.

Old
03-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Eazy T

I thought Maslany was an arab chick in real life. She portrayed one in Renegade Press.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:56 AM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
I thought Maslany was an arab chick in real life. She portrayed one in Renegade Press.
And I thought she was British. Shows her Talent I guess. Same can be said about Jordan Garvis. Man the first time I heard him in an interview outside Orphan Black, I was shocked by how smart and well intentioned he was.

Old
03-18-2014, 01:08 AM
SJSharksfan39

I apologize in advance if this sound immature, but I can't help it.

I was watching episode 3 tonight and man does Tatiana Maslany look so attractive as Sarah playing Beth. It's incredible how she changed playing this punk rocker to playing this young woman flirting with Raj trying to get up to speed on being a cop.

I was reminded of one of the reasons I gave up watching Agents of Shield tonight too. With Maslany, she's attractive, but she's written so well that it almost does come across as empowering (And Orange is the New Black had this too) for woman in the lead role, something TV needs more of. With AOS, I was distracted by Sky, as she was attractive but the actress wasn't all that great in the first place (And I stopped after the 3rd episode so I don't know if it got better).

This was the episode too that we meet Helena for the first time. Man did the clones come fast and furious at the start. 3 Episodes in and Maslany has 5 characters, all with unique distinct personalities. How the hell did she not even get nominated for the Emmy again? Yeah, ok maybe the plot leaves something to be desired (Personally, I love this story) but when you have a lead that is as talented as her, it makes a show like this a lot more worth it. Almost thinking about buying this series, and I don't buy much stuff in the first place.

Old
03-20-2014, 12:21 AM
SJSharksfan39

In doing this rewatch, I still forget it's Maslany who is portraying these characters. I just watched episode 5 and the scene where Sarah was in the Car and talking to Cosima, it was as if two different actresses were talking, but it was just Maslany talking to herself. Also, Episode 4 and 5 are some great game changers. We find out about the monitors, Paul finds out that it's not really Beth, and this is the start of Allison going bat**** crazy. The second time around is just as good, if not better than the first. Also, considering what we know, to see Donnie on the phone and know who he is talking to this time around is all kinds of creepy.

Old
03-23-2014, 01:27 AM
SJSharksfan39

It was episode 7 that had one of my favorite scenes of the season, Helena, Sarah, and the bowl of Jello. For some reason I thought it was earlier. I think if there is one thing I don't like about the series, it was the whole Neolution thing and self enhancement. This episode also featured the tail and Helena cutting it off and I keep picturing that scene in my mind thinking how silly everything was and how we really don't know what this has to do with the Clones. It did feel like they added this new thing as a way to explain the clones, but things were getting so big and so all over the place that it got lost in the shuffle. Also, Olivier was probably my least favorite character in the whole season.

We always talk about Maslany, but I'm at the point of the season where I almost feel like the other characters get short shrifted. For one, Felix is probably my favorite character not played by Maslany. Gavaris plays Felix so well and so believable that to make him a monitor in Season 2 would almost assassinate the character. He's the perfect "Straight" (I use that word in irony by the way) man and confidant. I also really like Mrs. S in these last few episodes, kind of filling in Sarah's backstory.

As for the rest, Paul and Art are good as supporting and the less I see of Vic the better. Sorry but it seems like we've moved past Vic at this point and there are better obstacles for Sarah to go through. I know in Season 2 we're getting newer characters, so that's why I say the less of Vic the better too. We've already got a big story here and I'm sure Season 2 will expand on everything.

4 Weeks. I've been touting this show (And it's pretty much all over my profile now with the picture and the location ) since last year and there's 4 weeks left until Tatiana Maslany's return to New episodes. I honestly can't think of another show I've really liked in this way. The plot is good, but when this show produces an actress that at the time was a total unknown and now is like the best actress going today, I can't help but get more excited in these next four weeks.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39: 03-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old
04-15-2014, 09:22 PM
SJSharksfan39

Season 2 Premieres this Saturday. I've been looking forward to this for what feels like more than a year. Did a rewatch recently and Can't wait to get more Tatiana Maslany goodness, not to mention Felix, again. This was my favorite series of 2013, and based on the trailers and promotional material I've seen, I don't think there will be a sophomore slump.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Eazy T

anyone think she's hot?

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:00 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Just watched the hour long Orphan Black preview/interview of the cast show.

They showed a brief sneak preview of a season 2 scene.

Last edited by td_ice: 04-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.
td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 05:12 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
anyone think she's hot?
of course .

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
SJSharksfan39

Season 2 Premieres tonight. I'm so giddy with anticipation. Can't wait.

Old
04-19-2014, 09:40 PM
SJSharksfan39

Amazing Season premiere tonight. Welcome back to what truely is my favorite show on TV right now. Everything about this episode was perfection.

Old
04-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Knighthammer

Great premiere!

"I smelled lesbian in my bed last night"

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 12:51 AM
SJSharksfan39

So is no one watching? And if that's the case, why the heck not. This show is awesome, and people should be watching, just based on Maslany's performance alone.

Anyway, on to tonight's episode.

Wow, so much to this excellent episode I wonder if I should wait to see what sinks in.

-So glad we found Kira and Mrs. S in the second episode. This allows the show to move on with the bigger picture and the Prolitheans and the Dyad Institute and it really set the direction for Season 2 in motion. I don't know whether or not I trust Mrs. S, but she's become a great character, and a badass at that.

-Speaking of Badass-ness, man the ways they kill characters on this show is amazing. Suicide, Point blank gunshot, (Which was explained in Helena's case really well as to how she survived), Nail pistols to the back of the head, and of course the kitchen disposal pretty much saying to scarves in the kitchen what the movie Sideways said about Merlot

-The Proletheans just became a whole lot more interesting with the new bad guy. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them, and seeing what happens to Helena, to see if she could give birth because of her "impurities"

-Again, everything with Alison in this episode was so much fun, especially the scene in the cemetery.

Looks like next week we finally meet Jennifer. Looking forward to that. Season 2 is off to a strong start.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39: 04-27-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old
04-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Honour Over Glory

I have episodes 1 + 2 for Season 2, I am waiting to get a 3rd episode next week so I can sit down and watch them like a little movie. I also have the final episode of last season as my refresher that I will watch with Episode 1 of Season 2 and then watch 2+3 together.

It's a solid show, I was looking for something to replace my Fringe fix, for sci-fi. This one did that and then some.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:50 AM
crane

So far so good. Love this show.

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 11:46 PM
SJSharksfan39

I wish more people here was watching this show. I know it's not as popular as some other shows, but it really is my favorite TV show on TV currently. Last week's episode was intense as heck (That shower scene was something I was thinking about all week long) and this week's episode pushed the story forward while giving us a whole lot more Rachael. I wish they gave Cosima more to do this season (Or just cured her of the illness) because she's really taken a back seat from everyone else, but we have seen the growth and awesomeness that is Helena. Loved every single scene featuring her and Sarah this week, especially the scene when Sarah steps in front of the Rifle and gives that impassioned speech. Give this woman the emmy already. Every week Tatiana Maslany is showing why she is the best actress on TV (And maybe even including film).

Old
05-18-2014, 01:38 AM
Knighthammer

I found the early eps with Sarah in the country and the Prolethians farm to drag a little bit, but the last two episodes have been bloody fantastic. Tatiana's work in the bathroom scene last week and as Helena this week has been top notch.

I'm with you, SJSharksfan that Cosima was more involved this season since we've been getting a lot of Rachel and Helena, but I'm sure Cosima will become important later on this season what with Leekie mentioning to Sarah that her health is getting worse. I hope Tatiana does get an Emmy nod, she's cleaning up the Canadian awards (I think she's got best actress wrapped up for next year already. Not that hard ), but wish she got more love in the States with her getting more than just a Golden Globe nod.

I love Helena "brother sestra" <3

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote