HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Valery Kharlamov the Movie

Old
04-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Sentinel

vCash: 500
Valery Kharlamov the Movie

"Legend #17" hits the screens in Russia this month. It features two of the biggest current Russian movie stars: Danila Kozlovsky (as Kharlamov) and Oleg Menshikov (as coach Tarasov). The trailer looks very Hollywood-ish. I wonder, what do they choose as "the final triumph": the 1979 Challenge Cup, maybe?

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
"Legend #17" hits the screens in Russia this month. It features two of the biggest current Russian movie stars: Danila Kozlovsky (as Kharlamov) and Oleg Menshikov (as coach Tarasov). The trailer looks very Hollywood-ish. I wonder, what do they choose as "the final triumph": the 1979 Challenge Cup, maybe?

1980 Silver medal?

Seriously, would be interesting to see this with English subtitles

"I don't wanna see Valeri tonight...I WANNA SEE KHARMALOV!"

OK, not likely, but some exchanges with Tikhonov and how he is portrayed should be interesting

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:29 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Yeah, has a Hollywood feel to it. This could be a ground breaking moment for hockey in film; a movie portraying Canadians in hockey not made by Canadians. It will be very interesting to see how they portray the Canadians in 72 Summit Series, especially Bobby Clarke.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:38 PM
saskganesh

This looks great.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
It will be very interesting to see how they portray the Canadians in 72 Summit Series, especially Bobby Clarke.
I've heard Dolph Lundgren played Clarke

Old
04-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

I'm hoping for an English subtitles North American release, it might not get one though. We normally only get the best Russian cinema and it certainly doesn't look like Prisoner of the Mountains (Though Oleg Menshikov is in it).

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Yamaguchi

Quote:
I've heard Dolph Lundgren played Clarke

Really?

Did Stallone play Esposito?

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Schwarzenegger plays Ferguson.

"Take him out"

Clarke: SLASH

"Hasta la vista baby"

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2182001/..._ov_st_sm#cast

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Sergei Makarov

Another film on Kharlamov? God, some years ago they did another one and it was awful. Let him alone. He doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.

Sergei Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
TERRIBLE translation! Did they hire some first year old English student / director's son? Yieesh...

Old
04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
Another film on Kharlamov? God, some years ago they did another one and it was awful. Let him alone. He doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.
Makarov, on the other hand... (kidding, know nothing of the earlier movie, though IIRC saw a documentary a few years back)

Kharmalov is an iconic figure that lost his life at an early age. Played the game in an inspiring (and fear invoking as a Canadian) way. Poetry in motion. His is a pretty compelling story

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:44 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
TERRIBLE translation! Did they hire some first year old English student / director's son? Yieesh...
I think it is done by some volunteer/fans not producer.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:01 PM
FrozenJagrt

Cannot wait to watch this. With subtitles of course. My Russian is off a bit.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Sergei Makarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Makarov, on the other hand... (kidding, know nothing of the earlier movie, though IIRC saw a documentary a few years back)

Kharmalov is an iconic figure that lost his life at an early age. Played the game in an inspiring (and fear invoking as a Canadian) way. Poetry in motion. His is a pretty compelling story
I mean a legendary player like him doesn't deserve being treated like a simple character.

Here is the film I was talking about (quality sucks and it's in Russian)

http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v1314808d85f

Sergei Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Sentinel

"Legend #17" is the Russian box office leader for the second weekend running. It's getting favorable reviews from the press and the audience.

This seems to be a standard biopic of a young talent overcoming adversity and achieving success. From the fans' reaction, there's just not enough hockey (until the final showdown with Canada). The villain is a Communist Party bureaucrat. There is one glaring "historic liberty": Kharlamov gets into a car accident before the 1972 Summit (in reality it happened in spring of 1976, which precluded him from playing in the 1976 Canada Cup). The culmination of the movie is Game 1 of the 72 Summit Series, where Kharlamov scored twice, so obviously the makers had the accident occur prior to that.

I seriously don't understand why they had to make the 72 SS "the final battle." To me, a logical decision would be the 79 Challenge Cup. True, it's not as famous as the 72 series, but (a) Kharlamov & Co. ultimately lost that series (thanks to Clarke's slash) and (b) today's Russian audience can't tell one from the other anyway.

Anyway, I hope to download it when it's available in HQ.

Last edited by Sentinel: 04-30-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Canadiens1958

Ultimate Game

Quote:
"Legend #17" is the Russian box office leader for the second weekend running. It's getting favorable reviews from the press and the audience.

This seems to be a standard biopic of a young talent overcoming adversity and achieving success. From the fans' reaction, there's just not enough hockey (until the final showdown with Canada). The villain is a Communist Party bureaucrat. There is one glaring "historic liberty": Kharlamov gets into a car accident before the 1972 Summit (in reality it happened in spring of 1976, which precluded him from playing in the 1976 Canada Cup). The culmination of the movie is Game 1 of the 72 Summit Series, where Kharlamov scored twice, so obviously the makers had the accident occur prior to that.

I seriously don't understand why they had to make the 72 SS "the final battle."
To me, a logical decision would be the 79 Challenge Cup. True, it's not as famous as the 72 series, but (a) Kharlamov & Co. ultimately lost that series (thanks to Clarke's slash) and (b) today's Russian audience can't tell one from the other anyway.

Game 1 of the 1972 Summit Series legitimized Soviet hockey, showing the world that they could compete and win against NHL competition.

Everything after Game 1 became a simple exercise in counting whatever it is people wish to count.

The producers of the movie realized this.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:49 AM
VMBM

Quote:
I seriously don't understand why they had to make the 72 SS "the final battle." To me, a logical decision would be the 79 Challenge Cup. True, it's not as famous as the 72 series, but (a) Kharlamov & Co. ultimately lost that series (thanks to Clarke's slash) and (b) today's Russian audience can't tell one from the other anyway.
? Kharlamov was injured already in the first game (result of a Larry Robinson hit) of the Challenge Cup, and did not play in the remaining 2 games. Plus he did not play very well in the first game either. Eventually, the series was a glorious victory for USSR, but hardly for Kharlamov. You'll have to wait for the Mikhailov movie (yeah right). Of course, the makers of the film could have made Kharlamov the star of the Challenge Cup too if they had wanted, but that would've been a bit dubious.

The 1976 Olympics or the 1978 World Championships would've been my suggestions. Kharlamov was excellent in the former, and the latter tournament (and the final game vs. Czechoslovakia) was something USSR simply had to win.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:07 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Cannot wait to watch this. With subtitles of course. My Russian is off a bit.
I'd be interested in watching it, but I doubt it gets over here.

I'm think they overdramatized some of that?(*edit* no duh)

Also the language seems "off", very over formal in the translation. Stilted if you will. I'm sure the Russian part seems a lot more like normal speech though.

And then there's the fact we knows he dies young. So that's depressing.

...Our Russian friends here are going to have to help us see this on you tube if the movie stays in Russia. One thing I noticed is the whole theme of the movie seems to carry a lot of emotion in an era where Russian hockey players were taught to be very emotionally reserved on the ice....

Last edited by octopi: 05-02-2013 at 07:30 AM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Sentinel

Yeah, the translation blows. Hopefully someone will do a better job.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:

Surely the last game of the 1976 Olympics is a better climax? Down 3-2 to Czechoslovakia in the 3rd, then 2 quick goals, Kharlamov with the winner. Gold to USSR.

Unless they thought Canada was a "worthier" opponent.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Unless they thought Canada was a "worthier" opponent.
That's why.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Tmu84
- Tmuussoni

Finally a hockey movie from Soviet perspective \o/

I will most certainly look into this

And yup, man it feels like a Hollywood movie with kind of overdramatic acting based on the trailer..

Tmu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
octopi

C'mon guys, no more you tube snippets?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote