HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dallas - Tampa Bay

Old
04-29-2013, 10:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Dallas - Tampa Bay

Receive:

3rd Overall Pick

Receive:

Trevor Daley
10th Overall Pick

Tampa moves down in order to pick up a #3/4 defender to strengthen their blue-line, while staying in the top 10 in this year's draft. Their crazy offensive depth lets them afford to move another top notch pick for some immediate help of defense. Daley's on a great contract for several more years, so it's not just a patch job either.

Dallas moves up to snag the elite prospect they so desperately need and help to clear a logjam on the back-end. Sucks to lose Daley, but we should be able to replace him, and we need a Barkov-esque #1 center far more than we need a speedy 2nd pairing defender with good leadership.

Any interest? Probably gonna be seen as overpayment by Dallas, but Tampa isn't (nor should they be) looking to move such a high pick in a draft like this, and we'd have to really make it worth their while.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
No thanks.

Honestly... this offseason is going to be worse than Stamkos' RFA summer as far as the Trade boards go.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
I like Daley and I gotta think long and hard about this, but probably not.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
No thanks.

Honestly... this offseason is going to be worse than Stamkos' RFA summer as far as the Trade boards go.
I really have no idea how much value that pick has to you guys.

Obviously, Drouin should still be around, and with St. Louis getting up there in age (although it seems like he's never gonna slow down), he'd be the perfect replacement. I just feel like with Jones off the board (and there's no way in hell Colorado trades down), it might be worth Tampa's while to take a slightly lesser prospect (and have the luxury of choosing between forward and defender) and a proven commodity than simply taking another top forward.

If it's the value that's off, I'd be interested in hearing how much it would take. Daley + 10th is already a pretty hefty fee, not sure adding anything more than a 2nd or 3rd would be good for us.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

It's not the value that's far off, it's just we have other assets that I think we could move and fill that hole. The one thing we're lacking in our prospects are guys with star player potential. Ton of them are solid top 9 guys, but Drouin is a guy that you can build an offense around. I would be more inclined to trade a Connolly or Purcell or even a Panik or Killorn over Drouin.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's not the value that's far off, it's just we have other assets that I think we could move and fill that hole. The one thing we're lacking in our prospects are guys with star player potential. Ton of them are solid top 9 guys, but Drouin is a guy that you can build an offense around. I would be more inclined to trade a Connolly or Purcell or even a Panik or Killorn over Drouin.
Ah, I see. Obviously can't have enough of those guys, but I just assumed a possible one (I personally am not sold on Drouin, but I wasn't sold on Huberdeau either) would be available when you have two of the most talented offensive players in the game (granted one is 37, but he looks like he's got at least 2-3 more years left in him). Your offense isn't really lacking a building block or depth, while your defense definitely needs the depth that this could provide (Daley + Pulock/Ristolainen if you go with a defender). That, and a guy like Pulock or RR might be just what Hedman needs to really get going offensively and show the league just how good of a defender he is.

You guys seem to prefer the approach I like to take, where you almost never move down and address your needs through trades/FA, always going with the BPA in the draft. I definitely get where you guys are coming from. Was simply looking at a trade that addresses both teams' needs, but I can understand why either side would say no as well.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Rschmitz

No GM is going to deal a franchise prospect for lesser pieces unless the value was just too good to pass up.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:04 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Receive:

3rd Overall Pick

Receive:

Trevor Daley
10th Overall Pick

Tampa moves down in order to pick up a #3/4 defender to strengthen their blue-line, while staying in the top 10 in this year's draft. Their crazy offensive depth lets them afford to move another top notch pick for some immediate help of defense. Daley's on a great contract for several more years, so it's not just a patch job either.

Dallas moves up to snag the elite prospect they so desperately need and help to clear a logjam on the back-end. Sucks to lose Daley, but we should be able to replace him, and we need a Barkov-esque #1 center far more than we need a speedy 2nd pairing defender with good leadership.

Any interest? Probably gonna be seen as overpayment by Dallas, but Tampa isn't (nor should they be) looking to move such a high pick in a draft like this, and we'd have to really make it worth their while.
Over the past 10 years, the difference between the third overall pick and the 10th overall pick is staggering, to say the least. (See the link here) That gap is not bridged by Trevor Daley, and this is pretty terrible for Tampa all things considered.

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:05 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Tampa passes easily.

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:38 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Stars fan. I don't think this is enough.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:50 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Tampa needs a forward to build their offense around?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Pohlow

They are probably going to get Nurse anyway, so might as well trade back and get immediate help in terms of Daley and draft Rustoleinen (sp) at 10 for the future. Hell, we could throw in Nemeth or something, idk.

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I really have no idea how much value that pick has to you guys.

Obviously, Drouin should still be around, and with St. Louis getting up there in age (although it seems like he's never gonna slow down), he'd be the perfect replacement. I just feel like with Jones off the board (and there's no way in hell Colorado trades down), it might be worth Tampa's while to take a slightly lesser prospect (and have the luxury of choosing between forward and defender) and a proven commodity than simply taking another top forward.

If it's the value that's off, I'd be interested in hearing how much it would take. Daley + 10th is already a pretty hefty fee, not sure adding anything more than a 2nd or 3rd would be good for us.
Come on....

It would take significantly more then Daley added to the #10 to get all the way up to the #3.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
Over the past 10 years, the difference between the third overall pick and the 10th overall pick is staggering, to say the least. That gap is not bridged by Trevor Daley, and this is pretty terrible for Tampa all things considered.

I agree--- going from 10th to 3rd is going to be hard and likely very costly. A 3rd/4th Dman isnt going to do it. You might be able to do this by giving up a dman who who may be #3 or #4 but would be easily a solid #2 on another team.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:40 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Come on....

It would take significantly more then Daley added to the #10 to get all the way up to the #3.
What about throwing in one of our better offensive prospects like Matt Fraser or Matej Stransky AND Vancouver's 2nd round pick on top of Daley + 10th?

oconnor9sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Pohlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
What about throwing in one of our better offensive prospects like Matt Fraser or Matej Stransky AND Vancouver's 2nd round pick on top of Daley + 10th?
Keep the 2nd. If Fraser + Daley + 10th overall doesn't get it, then it's a big overpayment. Connauton + Daley + 10th overall could get it, too.

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
Keep the 2nd. If Fraser + Daley + 10th overall doesn't get it, then it's a big overpayment. Connauton + Daley + 10th overall could get it, too.
Moving up 7 spots to #3 in the best draft class in a decade takes an overpayment. I honestly don't see a fit with Tampa Bay or the #3 slot. We don't need Drouin like we need Barkov/Monahan, I think Calgary or Edmonton are more plausible trade partners.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Bolt32

Well keep in mind Drouin is a kid that you can build your offense around. With that in mind the Bolts will want something that can help them out immediately and for the future. Were talking about a young legit top 4 defensemen (With top 2 potential.) for him. Honestly....I don't see that happening. Daley won't bridge that gap for the drop in picks either.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:03 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Well keep in mind Drouin is a kid that you can build your offense around. With that in mind the Bolts will want something that can help them out immediately and for the future. Were talking about a young legit top 4 defensemen (With top 2 potential.) for him. Honestly....I don't see that happening. Daley won't bridge that gap for the drop in picks either.
Fair enough, but I think most people here are underestimating Daley. He's top 5 in the NHL in pure skating and could be a top 4 DMan on pretty much any team in the league.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Moving up 7 spots to #3 in the best draft class in a decade takes an overpayment. I honestly don't see a fit with Tampa Bay or the #3 slot. We don't need Drouin like we need Barkov/Monahan, I think Calgary or Edmonton are more plausible trade partners.
if you're able to get to #3 there is nothing that says you have to take Drouin.

usefulfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulfiction View Post
if you're able to get to #3 there is nothing that says you have to take Drouin.
Moving up to #3 to pick anyone else would be a headscratchingly bad decision. The top 3 is pretty separated from the rest of the class in most people's minds.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
This is a pretty terrible deal for Tampa, Daley is definitely not worth the gap from 3 to 10.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Jack de la Hoya

If Barkov is your target, why not try to deal with Nashville at #4?

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Look at the team needs: Nashville's scoring plummeted this season, they need offense and the odds of getting it are better at 4 than at 10. Tampa has Stamkos and might need defense more than another big time scorer. Dallas has a bunch of D prospects and at 10 Tampa can still get a great prospect.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:42 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Stars would be trading with a team in same division.

usefulfiction is offline   Reply With Quote