HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LA Kings to Host Outdoor Game Next Season @ Dodger Stadium *Pending Approval, APR 18*

Old
04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
I recall Paul Coffey being quoted saying that he wouldn't let his children skate on the Pond ice.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Actually, I can get with that. I was more thinking from a national ratings perspective and a matchup that might have some subplots. I guess I would be cool with a Kings vs Sharks matchup.
I would rather Sharks then some EC team... And I hate the Sharks and Kings...

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
At least the Rangers and Kings have the excuse that their arena is used for other venues any night that they aren't playing.... and sometimes even the same day.
Huh? The same is true at the Honda Center.

04-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Reclamation Project
LA to Tokyo

vCash: 592
It's that damn NBA

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Huh? The same is true at the Honda Center.
Madison Square Garden has the Rangers and the Knicks.
The Staples Center has the Kings, Lakers, and Clippers.
The Honda Center has the Ducks.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Madison Square Garden has the Rangers and the Knicks.
The Staples Center has the Kings, Lakers, and Clippers.
The Honda Center has the Ducks.
Which means it isn't used for anything else? That's uh... not quite the way it works.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
kducks
Duck Off

Wrong thread this will be great if it's true

kducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
At least the Rangers and Kings have the excuse that their arena is used for other venues any night that they aren't playing.... and sometimes even the same day.
Staples Center is always booked. Three professional teams play on it, and if there isn't a game being played then there is a concert or some other event. That is the primary reason why the ice is bad, has little to do with the weather outside.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Gonna be a battle.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:38 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
haha....what's next, arguing about what venue sells better concession food.
I'm gonna have to say staples center on that one although we do have smoked BBQ at the pond .

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

5pm start would be perfect since that's still prime time on the east coast (8pm). It's already dark past 4:30 in LA during winter (just like pretty much anywhere else, LOL). The ice can definitely survive at night. People think it's always 75 or higher in LA.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
5pm start would be perfect since that's still prime time on the east coast (8pm). It's already dark past 4:30 in LA during winter (just like pretty much anywhere else, LOL). The ice can definitely survive at night. People think it's always 75 or higher in LA.
Yup. The weather is usually pretty mild, so maintaining a sheet of ice for the game shouldn't be too big a deal. On top of that, we're talking about a state with a population greater than Canada, and in one of the biggest cities in the United States. I don't really see a downside to this, and there are plenty of good reasons to do it.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Kopistar

Are people really concerned about the "fans safety" at Dodger Stadium???

A. It's a Kings Vs Ducks game, pretty sure all crazy gang member Dodger fans will not be attending

B. it's not like the stadium is in South Central LA or in the same neighborhood as the Coliseum.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post

A. It's a Kings Vs Ducks game, pretty sure all crazy gang member Dodger fans will not be attending

B. it's not like the stadium is in South Central LA or in the same neighborhood as the Coliseum.
Yes, because this game should be held at AT&T Park, where everyone is friendly and peaceful.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...ursday-/nW7pN/

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — The San Francisco Giants hosted the second of a three-game series at AT&T Park Friday night, and security was extra tight following a fight between Giants fans and an A's fan Thursday night.

He was taken into custody on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and a probation violation, while the 25-year-old victim was treated at the scene for swelling and cuts, according to Shyy.
Of course, this doesn't make the mainstream news since San Francisco is supposed to be a beautiful and faaaaabulous city.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:51 AM
DrewRemendasBaldHead

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Yes, because this game should be held at AT&T Park, where everyone is friendly and peaceful.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...ursday-/nW7pN/

Of course, this doesn't make the mainstream news since San Francisco is supposed to be a beautiful and faaaaabulous city.
Actually it's probably because the victim didn't suffer permanent brain damage/almost die.

DrewRemendasBaldHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:52 AM
kducks
Duck Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post

Yes, people actually might be a little wary. You have grown men who have no problem screaming in the face of a woman solely because she has a Ducks jersey on, it has happened to me multiple times at Stapler.

A female coworker of mine is a Avs fans and was actually punched by a male Kings fan when she was attending a game with her friends.

At least one person on our board has had a knife pulled on them after a game at Stapler on the way to the parking lot by a Kings fan.

Don't try to pretend this stuff only happens at Dodger games.

kducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRemendasBaldHead View Post
Actually it's probably because the victim didn't suffer permanent brain damage/almost die.
You missed the point. Any incident that happens at Dodger Stadium now makes big news because of the reputation that the Stow incident caused. All I'm saying is that hostility such as what I posted exists in every sporting venue. And let's not pretend that that A's fan only took a few slaps in the face. Giant fans ain't exactly saints when they see a rival fan.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
Yes, people actually might be a little wary. You have grown men who have no problem screaming in the face of a woman solely because she has a Ducks jersey on, it has happened to me multiple times at Stapler.

A female coworker of mine is a Avs fans and was actually punched by a male Kings fan when she was attending a game with her friends.

At least one person on our board has had a knife pulled on them after a game at Stapler on the way to the parking lot by a Kings fan.

Don't try to pretend this stuff only happens at Dodger games.
Plenty of people have had horrible experiences at Honda Center too, including me. That's just part of going to sporting events. There are *******s everywhere, you put around 20,000 people together in a tinderbox you are bound to find a few. No one fanbase has a monopoly on it that's for sure.

I'm a little confused by the bickering. The teams here are thought of as important enough to get an outdoor game and there's lots of complaining and fighting about it. Odd. Our teams are likely better than those who won't be getting an outdoor game next year so we can celebrate that fact at least.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:32 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
I don't see this going over well. The surface will be terrible.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:34 AM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
No, just the gang member Raider/kings fans.
Since when are Kings fans gang members? And since when do Raiders fans even know what hockey is???

Old
04-08-2013, 02:35 AM
PhxHawkFan
Rookie User

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but I'll chime in Phoenix had a non-synthetic ice rink this winter. If Phoenix can do it, anyone can. The ice sucked, but it was also never meant to host anything but public skate. I imagine the NHL could do better.

PhxHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
I don't see this going over well. The surface will be terrible.
I don't think the ice surface will be all that bad. There are places that have done outdoor ice around here, and it turns out fine... and that's without the NHL ice master doing his thing.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Plenty of people have had horrible experiences at Honda Center too, including me. That's just part of going to sporting events. There are *******s everywhere, you put around 20,000 people together in a tinderbox you are bound to find a few. No one fanbase has a monopoly on it that's for sure.

I'm a little confused by the bickering. The teams here are thought of as important enough to get an outdoor game and there's lots of complaining and fighting about it. Odd. Our teams are likely better than those who won't be getting an outdoor game next year so we can celebrate that fact at least.
For some reason, there seems to be a massive rivalry not just between the teams fans, but just LA vs OC. Maybe Ducks fans are upset that it's all the way up at Dodger Stadium??? Who knows. Either way, I find the rivalry amazing and entertaining, it's certainly one where the fans hate each other more than the players do.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:11 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

There is no gang affiliation or any logo affiliated with gangs.
Raiders logo are gang affiliated
And Dodgers
Idk about Lakers but most I meet are just eh.
Kings are normal, no gang affiliation with the organization.
Btw at Honda center I know people who got their cars smashed for having a sticker logo on the license plate. Every place with fans and rivalries will have tension. Just because it's LA doesn't mean it's ghetto. It'slike every other team

Just giving you guys a run down.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:26 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
There is no gang affiliation or any logo affiliated with gangs.
Raiders logo are gang affiliated
And Dodgers
Idk about Lakers but most I meet are just eh.
Kings are normal, no gang affiliation with the organization.
Btw at Honda center I know people who got their cars smashed for having a sticker logo on the license plate. Every place with fans and rivalries will have tension. Just because it's LA doesn't mean it's ghetto. It'slike every other team

Just giving you guys a run down.
Yep, LA just has a lot more people than everywhere except New York. More people = more crazy people.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote