HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Metro Detroit Area Summer Pick-Up Hockey.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
howeaboutthat

vCash: 500
Metro Detroit Area Summer Pick-Up Hockey.

Hi,

I'm coming over to Michigan in July/August to spend a bit of time with the family and I was wondering whether it is worth bringing my hockey gear with me to get in a few pick-up games? I know that some rinks used to close in the summer months but is this still widespread?

I'm going to be in the Southgate area but am happy to travel any reasonable distance.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:26 AM
deeman

There are several scheduled drop-in sessions through the Suburban Hockey group. They have 4 or 5 rinks, not sure about the Down River area. Just check out the calendars posted on thier web site for the days and times. Turnout to these is very hit or miss. I have attended the lunch time sessions and they only get 2-7 skaters. The morning and evening sessions may get better turn out. Good luck!

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman View Post
There are several scheduled drop-in sessions through the Suburban Hockey group. They have 4 or 5 rinks, not sure about the Down River area. Just check out the calendars posted on thier web site for the days and times. Turnout to these is very hit or miss. I have attended the lunch time sessions and they only get 2-7 skaters. The morning and evening sessions may get better turn out. Good luck!
Thanks very much for your response.

The standard of my hockey is what you'd expect from someone who only learnt to skate last July and is trapped in a hockey backwater. Will I be completely out of place or are there likely to be others who predominantly use their stick for support rather than scoring?

Old
04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
deeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Thanks very much for your response.

The standard of my hockey is what you'd expect from someone who only learnt to skate last July and is trapped in a hockey backwater. Will I be completely out of place or are there likely to be others who predominantly use their stick for support rather than scoring?
Ha ha! It really depends. I have seen beginers and some junior level players. I don't think anyone would care what level of play you are at. Most guys are just out to have fun. If you feel a bit more comfortable the Suburban Hockey groups also offer Sticks and Pucks sessions.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:48 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Hi,

I'm coming over to Michigan in July/August to spend a bit of time with the family and I was wondering whether it is worth bringing my hockey gear with me to get in a few pick-up games? I know that some rinks used to close in the summer months but is this still widespread?

I'm going to be in the Southgate area but am happy to travel any reasonable distance.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
I'll find out in the coming days for you in regards to the Taylor Sportsplex, which is right outside of Southgate. I want to say they turn one of the ice rinks into an inline rink, but I'm pretty sure they keep one open and offer drop in year round. I have a buddy who manages up there, so I'll ask him.

Regardless I'd suggest to bring your gear if you feel like playing. There's so many rinks in the metro Detroit region that at least a few of them are bound to have drop in available.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:49 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
I'll find out in the coming days for you in regards to the Taylor Sportsplex, which is right outside of Southgate. I want to say they turn one of the ice rinks into an inline rink, but I'm pretty sure they keep one open and offer drop in year round. I have a buddy who manages up there, so I'll ask him.

Regardless I'd suggest to bring your gear if you feel like playing. There's so many rinks in the metro Detroit region that at least a few of them are bound to have drop in available.
Thanks very much.