HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Detroit Area Hockey Leagues

Old
08-17-2012, 04:01 PM
j cal

vCash: 500
Detroit Area Hockey Leagues

Hey everyone, I will be moving to the Detroit area for work and I'm looking for a team to join. I've been googling local ice arenas and may need to head out to a couple rat sessions and start talking to people. Just wanted to know if any of you guys/gals have some places to check out or stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Joel

j cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Hey man! I think it would help to know the general area you're going to be in....there's so many rinks in different areas, why drive over an hour when there are going to be leagues within 20 min possibly. Also what skill level are you at?

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
imtay22

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cal View Post
Hey everyone, I will be moving to the Detroit area for work and I'm looking for a team to join. I've been googling local ice arenas and may need to head out to a couple rat sessions and start talking to people. Just wanted to know if any of you guys/gals have some places to check out or stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Joel
what part of Detroit are you moving to? One of the suburbs or downtown?

Edit: ^wow good timing

imtay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:15 AM
j cal

Hey thanks for the quick response. That's actually a great question. I've been looking for apartments around the Royal Oak/Birmingham/Rochester Hills area. There are some places that look good, but what sucks is trying to pick a place just by pictures. A friend lives out in Bloomfield Hills can help me out, but I'm open to suggestions/opinions.,

If it helps any, I'm 29 Male that likes to interact with neighbors 'n such. A safe neighborhood is my main concern.

Back to hockey. I'm a strong skater, as long as I have wind in me (occasional smoker). Solid C level. Just looking for a good group to skate out with once a week.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:02 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham are connected by Woodward Ave. the main strip into the city. This is a really cool and active area of Metro Detroit. Rochester Hills is a more northern suburb past Troy, average neighborhoods and strip malls, quiet and boring.

Birmingham is known to be the most expensive and classy area around the city, too uptight IMO. I am feeling you should look further at Royal Oak. There are parks and a true "downtown" with bars, events, shopping, tons of live music, etc. etc. There are a lot of 20 and 30 somethings in the area and it is known to be very hip and eclectic. There is a 4 day festival happening labor day weekend called Arts Beats and Eats, check it out if possible.

As far as hockey: Royal Oak has a league with 3 divisions, don't know a thing about it. Detroit Skate Club has only a +18 and +30 on Sundays but I've heard it's some good hockey. Troy has a large adult league with 3 divisions. A couple of friends had a hard time finding teams with a close skill level, but it is the most central and popular. I play at the Onyx in Rochester, again 3/4 divisions, very fun and competitive league.

I will check see if we need a player on our team (C/B). Feel free to PM if you want. Let's get together for S&P when you get to town.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:21 PM
j cal

I keep hearing about Royal Oak and it's sounding more like what you're saying. I may need to narrow it down a bit further to that area. Thanks.

I may be heading out your way within the next couple of weeks, it would be nice to bring my gear and go in for a quick skate. I'll keep you posted!

Old
08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
imtay22

I don't know about any rinks in the Royal Oak area, but in Rochester there's the Onyx, which hockeyisforeveryone mentioned. It's a very nice arena with 3 rinks I think. There's also Troy Sports Center, which is also a nice arena.

hockeyisforeveryone, do they actually ID at the S&P at Onyx? I'm 17 and I would rather go there than Waterford.

imtay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:47 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtay22 View Post
I don't know about any rinks in the Royal Oak area, but in Rochester there's the Onyx, which hockeyisforeveryone mentioned. It's a very nice arena with 3 rinks I think. There's also Troy Sports Center, which is also a nice arena.

hockeyisforeveryone, do they actually ID at the S&P at Onyx? I'm 17 and I would rather go there than Waterford.
imtay I do my sticks and pucks at Suburban in Farmington. I'm pretty sure there is no age requirements to do drop in or S&P at any of the arenas.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:02 PM
j cal

Update: Just found a place in Royal Oak, thanks for the suggestions!

Now, Hockey! I may have to check out John Lindell since that'll be the closest to me. I could make it to the Onyx for a skate sometime too. Let me know if you head out to any drop ins!

Old
09-14-2012, 05:28 PM
j cal

$5 skate at John Liddell ice arena tonight, head out! 10-11:20

Old
10-22-2012, 09:25 PM
j cal

How's the rat session at Troy sports arena on Thurs nights?

Old
04-06-2013, 03:33 PM
j cal

Still looking for a good skate!

Old
04-08-2013, 07:31 AM
howeaboutthat

Moved to own thread.

Last edited by howeaboutthat: 04-08-2013 at 09:28 AM.
howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote