HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Since Crosby wants to be a Hab....

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Since Crosby wants to be a Hab....

Since Crosby wants to be a member of the montreal canadiens, do you think its possible that he will one day come running here as a free agent a few years down the road?

I think this is the only really possibility of Crosby becoming a hab because I dont even see the NHL giving the habs a sniff at the #1 pick.

Or do you think Crosby's interest to play with the habs is just a casual one with an attitude of "It would be nice to play for montreal but its not a big deal"

Old
04-19-2005, 08:30 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Mario Lemieux's dream was to also play for the Habs but he never came running to us when he became UFA. Money issue between him and Pits might have been a problem I don't know but still. Alot of players said that but never came to us. When Crosby become UFA, all will depends with his team succes and ours. I might be wrong but winning the cup is a bigger dream then play for the HABS(not in my case tough...well maybe...I'm not sure...I'm all confuse now ). Anyway let's hope we get him.

Old
04-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Jakomyte

What could also happen is that he develops a good relationship with whatever organization he is with until he is 27/28/29.... and will want to stay there for his career, that seems to happen quite a bit. A lot can change in 10 years....but it would be nice to see him in a Habs uniform, assuming he lives up or near to his potential.

Old
04-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Unless the Habs are a legitmate contender, I can only see Crosby signing here as a free-agent, when he's an over the hill 35 year old.

As much as Canadians in general hate southern teams, I bet the lifestyle is outstanding, and players love it. You can get beachfront property, drive a sportscar with its top down year round without having to deal with the negative aspects of being a celebrity. If Crosby came here, he would get mobbed and every move would be scrutinized, and thus his quality of life would suffer, particularly if the Habs are not a contender.

I'm not sure that his passion for the Habs can overcome the lure of that life.

Old
04-19-2005, 08:55 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Unless the Habs are a legitmate contender, I can only see Crosby signing here as a free-agent, when he's an over the hill 35 year old.

As much as Canadians in general hate southern teams, I bet the lifestyle is outstanding, and players love it. You can get beachfront property, drive a sportscar with its top down year round without having to deal with the negative aspects of being a celebrity. If Crosby came here, he would get mobbed and every move would be scrutinized, and thus his quality of life would suffer.

OMG DONT TALK ABOUT HIM BEING OVER THE HILL

when hes 35, ill be 37, scary thought

Old
04-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Their obviously is no right or wrong answer to this question, because so many factors would play into either of his decissions. The thing is, as a player, you often become attached to the team you play for. You get use to the surroundings, team mates, city, and of course if you've got a family, they will have mostly likely have settled in. As a player, your decissions must also include your family, and your way of life. Now obviously, it also depends how long you have played for that team, and how successful it has been in their quest for the cup. If Crosby plays for a team, that challenges for a cup season after season, my bets are hed probably resign with that team. Your love for a childhood team is one thing, but a chance for a cup is a tottaly different thing. It all really depends on the situation at hand.

Old
04-19-2005, 09:13 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL
Mario Lemieux's dream was to also play for the Habs but he never came running to us when he became UFA.
That's not true at all.

Mario Lemieux *never* said he had any interest in playing in Montreal. He grew up a fan of the club but never wanted to play here. He's told multiple media sources over the years that he thought playing in Quebec would have been way too much pressure and his life would be like living in a fishbowl with the intense media coverage that would come with being a superstar in Montreal.

Crosby has flat out said he'd love to play for the Canadiens. There's a big difference.

Old
04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20

As much as Canadians in general hate southern teams, I bet the lifestyle is outstanding, and players love it. You can get beachfront property, drive a sportscar with its top down year round without having to deal with the negative aspects of being a celebrity. If Crosby came here, he would get mobbed and every move would be scrutinized, and thus his quality of life would suffer, particularly if the Habs are not a contender.

I see what you mean, if he gets drafted by a team in the Southern US. But, he won't be having any beachfront Ocean property in places like Buffalo, Chicago or Minny. I'm not saying these are bad places to live per se, but it's no warmer than Montreal, and the lifestyle may actually be behind that of Montreal. Now, if it's LA, Tampa or Miami, well that would be completely different.

Old
04-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
I see what you mean, if he gets drafted by a team in the Southern US. But, he won't be having any beachfront Ocean property in places like Buffalo, Chicago or Minny. I'm not saying these are bad places to live per se, but it's no warmer than Montreal, and the lifestyle may actually be behind that of Montreal. Now, if it's LA, Tampa or Miami, well that would be completely different.
You know, now that you mention it, if their is a draft next season, the most likely candidates to draft Crosby will be....

Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Chicago
New york

None of them are southern states!

Old
04-19-2005, 11:12 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
You know, now that you mention it, if their is a draft next season, the most likely candidates to draft Crosby will be....

Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Chicago
New york

Exactly, so who says that if Crosby for some reason doesn't like any of the cities you mentioned Mooch, that he might just try Montreal when he becomes a UFA. Damn, ain't it fun to dream? This makes me want to post in the lounge again.

Old
04-20-2005, 04:29 AM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Personally i like to see Crosby in Chicago if we don't land him... ... only messing.... we haven't got a shopt in hell!!!

But to have a player like Crosby in an Original Six town would be great... get those hockey loving Blackhawk Fans bakc in their seats!!!

And then yes when hes 27 he can come and play in montreal....

Old
04-20-2005, 05:56 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab
And then yes when hes 27 he can come and play in montreal....

I'm gonna go out on a limb and make a flat out prediction. Crosby is definitely gonna play in Montreal his first season in the NHL.

Old
04-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
Exactly, so who says that if Crosby for some reason doesn't like any of the cities you mentioned Mooch, that he might just try Montreal when he becomes a UFA. Damn, ain't it fun to dream? This makes me want to post in the lounge again.
Love that optimism Loadie!

Now only if we could turn those dreams into reality......

Oh, and please do come to the Lounge sometime tonight. The "Unofficial insult the poster above you" thread is no where near 10, 000 posts! I would be more then happy to lay out another good dissing on ya Loadie!

Old
04-20-2005, 09:53 AM
SharkGirl27

Send a message via AIM to SharkGirl27
Quote:

Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Chicago
New york

That just made me cringe! I hope I NEVER see Crosby in a Rangers sweater, I can't stand that team.

Another thought about Crosby is wasn't his dad a goaltending prospect in the Habs system when his wife got pregnant with Sidney? Maybe that will one day influence his decision to come to Montreal along with all the other reasons he has to come here

Old
04-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I sure hope he wants to sign with us when he become a UFA. Crosby would bring us back to glory.

Old
04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Habs13

Hey folks.. nobody knows what will happen with the draft so.. I still say our chances are 1/30 ..keep your fingers crossed and pray to the hockey games of Montreal to sneek into where ever they chose the draft line-up and use their ghostly powers to land us the #1!!

Old
04-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
Hey folks.. nobody knows what will happen with the draft so.. I still say our chances are 1/30 ..keep your fingers crossed and pray to the hockey games of Montreal to sneek into where ever they chose the draft line-up and use their ghostly powers to land us the #1!!
You're so optimistic!

Old
04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
AH

He's going to the Rangers.

Bettman will fix it so that he does.

Old
04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
romain_jaime

Who knows, Crosby could turn around and pull an Eric Lindros on whatever team drafts him.

Old
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Love that optimism Loadie!

Now only if we could turn those dreams into reality......

Oh, and please do come to the Lounge sometime tonight. The "Unofficial insult the poster above you" thread is no where near 10, 000 posts! I would be more then happy to lay out another good dissing on ya Loadie!
Oh, I'll be there to sling a couple of fast ones at you too Mooch. Go Crosby.

Old
04-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Guy Caballero

Hey, if we can't get him now, we can trade a Norris-Trophy-caliber defenseman for him when he's well past his prime and then have him sit on the bench with a broken foot as we parade the Stanley Cup around the ice.

Old
04-20-2005, 11:53 PM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
Quote:
Their obviously is no right or wrong answer to this question, because so many factors would play into either of his decissions. The thing is, as a player, you often become attached to the team you play for. You get use to the surroundings, team mates, city, and of course if you've got a family, they will have mostly likely have settled in. As a player, your decissions must also include your family, and your way of life. Now obviously, it also depends how long you have played for that team, and how successful it has been in their quest for the cup. If Crosby plays for a team, that challenges for a cup season after season, my bets are hed probably resign with that team. Your love for a childhood team is one thing, but a chance for a cup is a tottaly different thing. It all really depends on the situation at hand.
Mooch,

I agree with you totally. I think most, not all, hockey players become attached with the cities they play in if they, and their family, become involved in it. Take a look at Denis Savard. Worshipped Montreal, wound up in Chicago, played for Montreal eventually(won a cup), and then finished his career in Chicago. Listen to his comments, if you haven't already seen this clip. He's a class act.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1361301/d...rd384.wmv.html

Old
04-21-2005, 12:06 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Hey, if we can't get him now, we can trade a Norris-Trophy-caliber defenseman for him when he's well past his prime and then have him sit on the bench with a broken foot as we parade the Stanley Cup around the ice.
Hmmm....I seem to recall a story like that from years gone bye.

Old
04-21-2005, 12:27 AM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
I sure hope he wants to sign with us when he become a UFA. Crosby would bring us back to glory.
I hope we have some Glory before then, otherwsie i'm gonna be a very old Habs fan by the time glory comes calling again!!! and poor Mcphee... well he'll just be well past it!!!

Old
04-21-2005, 02:54 AM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

the odds of getting crosby = 1/30

Closed Thread