HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2013, 06:10 PM
  #251
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Any updates on Jakob Chychrun? How has he looked so far since joining Toronto? Also which NHL player does he compare to in terms of style? Someone told me he reminded them somewhat of a Chris Pronger type, what do you guys think?
He will contend for #1 in the OHL draft to be honest. Its still early though. A few of the highly touted Ontario forwards in my opinion are slightly behind him based on selfish play, inconsistent compete level, lack of strength. Chychrun could be 6-4 200 + pounds when the first Saturday of April rolls around. He has ALOT of upside. NHL comparison? Great question, Ill give u my best comparison tomorrow if he suits up against Vaughn, I have a few players that crossed my mind but Id like to watch him once more to see if I still think this way.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-04-2013, 06:22 PM
  #252
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
North York is an interesting team, I will make sure I see them a few more times. A few players on there team have upside.

First off , Daniil Vertiy. I dont think he is eligible for the OHL draft. I think he recently moved here from Russia. Big player, can play a power game, has some hands, physical and no doubt is in the conversation for having the hardest wrist shot in the GTHL.

William Calverly from what Ive seen early is a offensive producing forward. He seems to always be around the puck and making plays for his team. Competes hard.

Luke Kutkevicius is another player, who competes hard, uses his body and makes plays, good size, can dominate shifts during the course of the game.

Mike Boltiz (Goalie). Butterfly style, fast legs, good recovery. Hard to beat down low. Competes. Good size. Right hand glove. Id like to see more of what he can do. I see potential in him so far this year.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-05-2013, 09:45 AM
  #253
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
My mistake above, JRC plays Sunday vs the Rebels.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-05-2013, 11:55 AM
  #254
epsomsalts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
My mistake above, JRC plays Sunday vs the Rebels.
No mistake, the game was scheduled but then removed from the schedule.

epsomsalts is offline  
Old
10-06-2013, 11:07 PM
  #255
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Chychrun NHL Comparison? Drew Doughty

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
  #256
JFA87-66-99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Chychrun NHL Comparison? Drew Doughty
Wow that's a big comparism. Is that who u had in mind this whole time. Do you know his stats this season by chance

JFA87-66-99 is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
  #257
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Wow that's a big comparism. Is that who u had in mind this whole time. Do you know his stats this season by chance
Doughty may be a bigger hitter, but Chychrun is a better skater and can dangle more.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 05:12 PM
  #258
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
TheScout.ca just posted its top 10 with HM:

1. Jakob Chychrun
2. Mike McLeod
3. Logan Brown
4. Victor Mete
5. Adam Mascherin
6. Brandon Saigeon
7. Max Jones
8. Mitchell Mendoncan
9. Joseph Mizzi
10. Clayton Keller

HM: Sam Dunn, Timmy Gettinger, Tye Felhaber, Logan Stanley

Thoughts?

Daneurism is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 07:33 PM
  #259
ImaBullsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
TheScout.ca just posted its top 10 with HM:

1. Jakob Chychrun
2. Mike McLeod
3. Logan Brown
4. Victor Mete
5. Adam Mascherin
6. Brandon Saigeon
7. Max Jones
8. Mitchell Mendoncan
9. Joseph Mizzi
10. Clayton Keller

HM: Sam Dunn, Timmy Gettinger, Tye Felhaber, Logan Stanley

Thoughts?
Out of this top 10 list, which player would be best suited to the big yardmen ice?

ImaBullsfan is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
  #260
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Wow that's a big comparism. Is that who u had in mind this whole time. Do you know his stats this season by chance
I was thinking Subban/Doughty. From a physical standpoint compared to his peers, he is Chara with wheels. Physically he is Years ahead like Ekblad was. If he shows a nasty mean streak, kids will be leaving the building.

Not including Saturday's Game.
4GP, 3G, 3A - 6PTS

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 08:01 PM
  #261
JFA87-66-99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I was thinking Subban/Doughty. From a physical standpoint compared to his peers, he is Chara with wheels. Physically he is Years ahead like Ekblad was. If he shows a nasty mean streak, kids will be leaving the building.

Not including Saturday's Game.
4GP, 3G, 3A - 6PTS
Very impressive. Can't wait to actually see him play. How does he stack up against the other 2 highly touted 1998 defensmen in Sean Day and Chad Krys?

JFA87-66-99 is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM
  #262
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Very impressive. Can't wait to actually see him play. How does he stack up against the other 2 highly touted 1998 defensmen in Sean Day and Chad Krys?
I think Day and Krys have the edge right now.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
  #263
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
TheScout.ca just posted its top 10 with HM:

1. Jakob Chychrun
2. Mike McLeod
3. Logan Brown
4. Victor Mete
5. Adam Mascherin
6. Brandon Saigeon
7. Max Jones
8. Mitchell Mendoncan
9. Joseph Mizzi
10. Clayton Keller

HM: Sam Dunn, Timmy Gettinger, Tye Felhaber, Logan Stanley

Thoughts?
I happen to think that they got it right on

I actually think there are upwards of 30 or so players that could be top 10 picks right now, its a pretty impressive group. SilverStick should be when some start to separate themselves from others.

SeanLafortune is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 05:50 AM
  #264
webegtodiffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
I happen to think that they got it right on

I actually think there are upwards of 30 or so players that could be top 10 picks right now, its a pretty impressive group. SilverStick should be when some start to separate themselves from others.
HM for Logan Stanley is good to see; the kid is very big and can move

webegtodiffer is online now  
Old
10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
  #265
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
TheScout.ca just posted its top 10 with HM:

1. Jakob Chychrun
2. Mike McLeod
3. Logan Brown
4. Victor Mete
5. Adam Mascherin
6. Brandon Saigeon
7. Max Jones
8. Mitchell Mendoncan
9. Joseph Mizzi
10. Clayton Keller

HM: Sam Dunn, Timmy Gettinger, Tye Felhaber, Logan Stanley

Thoughts?
Mascherin and Saigeon both look very impressive.

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 11:01 AM
  #266
RossyYoungblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Out of this top 10 list, which player would be best suited to the big yardmen ice?
Mete and Mendonca for sure

RossyYoungblood is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 01:01 PM
  #267
yourtypicalhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
in all your scouts opinions... will the number of points a defenseman affect a defensive or two way defenders draft position??

yourtypicalhockey is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 03:25 PM
  #268
ImaBullsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
I wasn't going to start my Bulls draft watch till after christmas but george is speeding the process up! Looking at a top 5 pick?

ImaBullsfan is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 06:01 PM
  #269
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
There was lots of teams out watching sam Dunn in Oshawa last night. Kid has such amazing composure for his age/ calm decision making.

sniper81 is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 11:26 PM
  #270
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtypicalhockey View Post
in all your scouts opinions... will the number of points a defenseman affect a defensive or two way defenders draft position??
Points have very little to do with draft position. Sure, normally players who score alot are drafted high, but thats due to their abilities, not because they have great stats lines.

There are just as many players who are drafted highly who don't have massive stats, because your drafting 16 year olds for what they will be at 18. Your projecting the type of players they will be, and the amount of points that a 15-16 year old usually isn't the best indicator for success, its the tools that they possess.

Id rather take a player who competes, drives the net, plays a 200ft game versus a player who gets a significant amount of second assists.

SeanLafortune is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 11:31 PM
  #271
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Doughty may be a bigger hitter, but Chychrun is a better skater and can dangle more.
SERIOUSLY?!?! Doughty & Ryan Murphy (Sean Day being the best skater) have been the most impressive Minor Midgets from a skating/puck handling perspective I have ever seen. I have to get a look at JC Superstar.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 08:25 AM
  #272
RossyYoungblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
There was lots of teams out watching sam Dunn in Oshawa last night. Kid has such amazing composure for his age/ calm decision making.
Huge fan of Dunn. Tried my hardest to get him ranked in the too 10 and above Mete (I think Dunn's skills project well to The O)

RossyYoungblood is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 09:45 PM
  #273
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Huge fan of Dunn. Tried my hardest to get him ranked in the too 10 and above Mete (I think Dunn's skills project well to The O)
That I do agree with. Composure, foot work and he rarely ever makes a mistake. When he is physical it isn't to punish his opponent(Even though he can) it's to separate him from the puck and turn the transition the other way. The thing mete has going for him is he is one of the purest skaters with an almost flawless stride. in this draft class it will be interesting to see where all the chips fall.

sniper81 is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 10:23 PM
  #274
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Huge fan of Dunn. Tried my hardest to get him ranked in the too 10 and above Mete (I think Dunn's skills project well to The O)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
That I do agree with. Composure, foot work and he rarely ever makes a mistake. When he is physical it isn't to punish his opponent(Even though he can) it's to separate him from the puck and turn the transition the other way. The thing mete has going for him is he is one of the purest skaters with an almost flawless stride. in this draft class it will be interesting to see where all the chips fall.
I can confirm, he tried hard! I think Dunn is a top 10 pick regardless, once the US kids are taken out. Dunn is one of the top 4 defenceman in the Provence.

SeanLafortune is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 10:35 PM
  #275
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
I can confirm, he tried hard! I think Dunn is a top 10 pick regardless, once the US kids are taken out. Dunn is one of the top 4 defenceman in the Provence.
I figured he will go anywhere between 7 and 15 but it's nice to see the praise the scout.castaff, I really respect the time and energy you guys put into viewings/write ups. Amazing that central continues to produce these high end players.

sniper81 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.