2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Garyboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Saw only portions of the game, but it seemed like Campoli and Ang stood out to me.

Luce played solid, and Mcleod did try and force things. He seems to be consensus #1 now, and should be able to keep that ranking for the rest of year. Maybe OHL will be a larger step for him, like another former Marlie- Ho Sang.

Benson didn't impress me at all. Mascherin impressed me a lot, but his size may be a problem, but if he can turn out like Skinner, then he will have a chance.
You have seen these guys play a lot more than I have, but is McLeod really considered a better prospect than Mascherin? Mascherin seems like the much more complete player, not to mention he's built like a tank.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mascherin is very noticable throughout a game. Like u mention, he is strong on his skates. A Salituro/Domi quality. Mascherin goes after it. Even playing up with JRC this year, he was there best player when I watched. He attacks, he is ambitious. U mention his IQ...I notice after he lets a few shots go and he scores usually, that defenders come up on him, he than adjusts and either makes a move or dishes the puck. A nice little mix of unpredictability to his game, making him more dangerous.
Very well said. I hope to watch him anytime I get the chance this upcoming season. Very impressive prospect.

Old
08-12-2013, 07:18 AM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
You have seen these guys play a lot more than I have, but is McLeod really considered a better prospect than Mascherin? Mascherin seems like the much more complete player, not to mention he's built like a tank.
I think there is a group of four that includes Mascherin, McCleod, Mete and Saigeon. Personally I see McLeod as the early front runner, however I know that others on my staff see it differently. We'll be releasing an early top ten in two weeks, but still not sure who's listed where within that group.

Old
08-12-2013, 08:49 AM
justahockeyguy

Just joined the forum...looks like some good discussion here. I am more familiar with the GTHL and OMHA player at this age group, but love seeing and hearing about other players.

Attended the All State game and watched it on TSN. General thoughts...some very good talent at this age group. A few that stood out to me were Campoli on defence, Jost and Mascerin up from and Harver in net in the first period.

Having seen MacKeod play a few times expected a little more from him, but agree he seemed to be trying too hard to make things happen. Also, expected more from Benson just based on reputation.

Having said all that it is just one game.

Old
08-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
I think there is a group of four that includes Mascherin, McCleod, Mete and Saigeon. Personally I see McLeod as the early front runner, however I know that others on my staff see it differently. We'll be releasing an early top ten in two weeks, but still not sure who's listed where within that group.
Sounds good. I look forward to seeing the top 10, and kudos for the early coverage.

Old
08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
P S Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Welcome aboard! Thank you kindly for the detailed write-up.

Anyone else feel like McLeod is a rough around the edges version of McDavid? He has the top-end talent, just not the grace and elegance, overall awareness that McDavid showed at the same age. This is obviously meant as complimentary towards McLeod, as we all know what a special talent McDavid is.
Top-end talent for sure but you're right, McDavid will do the same thing without having to try as hard. McDavid is ahead with his vision in my opinion.

Old
08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
P S Reports

Scouting reports on Jeremy Smith and Adam Mascherin

Old
08-13-2013, 08:28 AM
justahockeyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P S Reports View Post
Smith is a solid defenceman who is a bit on the small side but does not shy away from the physical play. Strong on his skates but may have trouble handling some of the bigger forwards. Skates well and has good puck control. Sometimes you get two extremes - some very impressive plays and decision making and then some bad give aways and decision making. This was evident in the Allstate game.

Machering is a strong powerforward with an excellent shot and quick release. Natural scoring ability and very dangerous around the net. He has good vison on the ice and when needed uses his teammates well. A little undersized at 5' 9", but looks to be built pretty solid and is very strong on his feet. Needs to learn to be a little more defensively responsible in his own end. Overall a very good player who will go very early in the draft.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:51 AM
justahockeyguy

Quote:
Just a quick note...in the text of your profile on Macherin it indicates he "will bring a multifaceted skill set to the Don Mills Flyers", that should be Vaughan Kings. The header is correct.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:08 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Luce was very impressive to me as well ML97. He's just so steady and smart with his decisions and he has the feet to flourish in all areas of the rink.

McLeod didn't impress me much either. I've only had 3 viewings of him (dating back to last season) but the individualistic comments were certainly accurate.

I really like Mascherin and it seemed like he controlled most of the play when he was on the ice.

Saigeon is a bit raw in some areas but his vision, creativity and offensive determination are very very attractive.

It was nice to see some other talents step up such as Felhaber (one of the better performances), Mizzi (started slow out of the gate but impressed by the end of the game) and Lafontaine. Other than a few flashes, Mete, Bitten, Sicoly and Smith were just "meh" for me. I look forward to seeing them again to see how they rebound.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Luce was very impressive to me as well ML97. He's just so steady and smart with his decisions and he has the feet to flourish in all areas of the rink.

McLeod didn't impress me much either. I've only had 3 viewings of him (dating back to last season) but the individualistic comments were certainly accurate.

I really like Mascherin and it seemed like he controlled most of the play when he was on the ice.

Saigeon is a bit raw in some areas but his vision, creativity and offensive determination are very very attractive.

It was nice to see some other talents step up such as Felhaber (one of the better performances), Mizzi (started slow out of the gate but impressed by the end of the game) and Lafontaine. Other than a few flashes, Mete, Bitten, Sicoly and Smith were just "meh" for me. I look forward to seeing them again to see how they rebound.
I agree with everything above.

Luce I cant imagine being replaced as the best defensive defenseman in Ontario. I imagine him going in the Top 10. A team that needs a shut down guy, he is the man. He is a focused player. How he handled a particular 2 on 1 with Mcleod coming down on him, was perfect. The feet u mention too, he showed throughout the game. Even all the safe chips off the boards all game. A lot of things going on in his game.

Lafontaine really impresses me. He is so cool in the net. His rebound control is outstanding. U get the impression, nothing rattles him.

Mete is an interesting prospect, that will generate a ton of talk I think this year. The elite skill vs size. In the All State game he displayed some of his strong characteristics. One particular pinch from the blueline created a big scoring chance. The seams he finds and bursts into, shows his instincts and vision. Even through the neutral zone he is looking to jump up/give his d partner a lane to pass to and attack, even though its a high risk/reward type of play. He is lighting quick, one of the smoothest skaters u will see. Watching him get steam-rolled into the corner is an issue that wont go away anytime soon though and will further compound itself in the OHL. Better feet than Capobianco but also a little smaller. Handling forecheckers, dealing with pressure will be something that be may be only average at, but the puck possession game is outstanding. For me has the same strengths and weaknesses as Jordan Subban.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 08-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old
08-19-2013, 08:54 PM
OHLprospectscout98

McLeod Marlies
Sicoly Marlies
Candella JRC
Welsford Sens
Z.Poirier UCC
Felhaber OVT
Bitten 67s
Smith Marlies
Harris Marlies
Mete JRC
Hancock JRC
Sherman JRC
Mizzi Marlies
Vivash 67s
Irvine Rebels
Barnes Barrie
Hanley Whitby
Varga YSE
Mainella Sun County
Sageion Hamilton
Pace Hamilton
Dunn COW
Pu Marlies
Wong Marlies
Raddysh Marlies
Prestia STA
D Agostino NNS
Sternschien LI Gulls
Kelaiditis Rebels
Guy Ottawa
Tonge Kingston
Paquette Kingston
Raaymakers Chatham
Lafrenier YSE
Pearce barrie
MacMillan Nickel City
Grandbois Nickel City
McKeeby Honeybaked
Lalonde Honeybaked
Pastujov Honeybaked
Adams LC
Knierim Mission
Sanchez CYA
Caprio Mission
Lewandowski Honeybaked
Jones Compuware
Howdeshell Compuware
Mahalak Compuware
Yochkim STA
McCorston STA
Falivena STA
Langdon STA
Horak Nepean Raiders
Hawkins HP Lakers
Melady HP Lakers
Coffey Marlies
Power Sens AAA
Nash HP Lakers

Old
08-20-2013, 01:46 PM
epsomsalts

How could you omit Mascherin?

Old
08-20-2013, 02:24 PM
justahockeyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsomsalts View Post
How could you omit Mascherin?
A pretty good list, but not a comprehesive one. Mascherin is an obvious one but also some other top end players. Nice to see some of the US name to keep an eye.

Old
08-24-2013, 10:28 AM
hockeyscout42

What about players from the SCTA teams? I've heard a few names stand out.

Old
08-24-2013, 10:32 AM
hockeyscout42

My picks, these are the players that definitely stood out.

B45: Jacome, Molella, Payette

STA: Mendonca, Prestia, Yochim

Buffalo: Berger, Novo

Hamilton: Saigeon, Cammano, Timms, D'agstino

Halton: Schultz, Miller, Nother

Niagra North: St Onge, Dintino, Wells, Moore

Guelph: Bunnaman, Finnoro, Macpherson

Old
08-25-2013, 06:35 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
How would a top 10 ranking for the 2014 ohl draft look right now. Lets just pretend that all prospects were committed to the ohl. I thinking some of these names would be there. Mikey McLeod, Logan Brown, Clayton Keller, Joseph Mizzi, Jack Lafontaine, Victor Mete,

Old
08-26-2013, 02:04 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
How would a top 10 ranking for the 2014 ohl draft look right now. Lets just pretend that all prospects were committed to the ohl. I thinking some of these names would be there. Mikey McLeod, Logan Brown, Clayton Keller, Joseph Mizzi, Jack Lafontaine, Victor Mete,
We should be announcing out initial top 10 for the 2014 OHL Draft in a week. I'll post it here with some quick comments once its official.

Old
08-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Torts

I know it's early but any word of maybe another exceptional player this year. It's becoming almost the norm these past couple years with back to back to back players.

Haven't heard of anything yet.

Old
08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
I know it's early but any word of maybe another exceptional player this year. It's becoming almost the norm these past couple years with back to back to back players.

It's probably a little early at this point since rosters are still mostly unknown at this point and games haven't been played yet.
There will be some kids playing up just like every year, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily ES worthy.

One 99 confirmed to be playing up is Drake Lafontaine, a forward with Don Mills.
He's the brother of Jack Lafontaine, who is arguably the top 98 goaltender and played up a year himself last season.
He's already got some size at 6' 180lbs.
Not saying he's ES worthy, but I'm going to keep an eye on him because of the pedigree of his brother.

Old
08-26-2013, 06:57 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
We should be announcing out initial top 10 for the 2014 OHL Draft in a week. I'll post it here with some quick comments once its official.
Can't wait too see it. Thanks

Old
08-27-2013, 11:57 PM
caveman16
GoWolvesGo

Here is a list of NOHA players to keep an eye on. Not sure if more than 2 or 3 of these kids will get drafted but it's a list I came up with at the NOHA development camp in Aug and from what I have seen through out their major bantam year.
Seneca- Soo
Rowe- Soo
Pilon- Soo
Cicchini- Soo
Mooney- NC
Trayner - NC
Grandbois- NC
Macmillan-NC
Stos- NC

Old
08-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post

If it's going to be anyone, it will be Sean Dhoogie.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:15 AM
caveman16
GoWolvesGo

He is a great player but if he doesn't grow soon I can't see that happening.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:53 AM
last10

And the goalies Caveman?

Closed Thread