HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks win; LokiFreed

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Pens fan coming in peace!

My roommate actually played hockey against Saad when he was younger in Pittsburgh. Said he was going to be really good. We were hoping the Pens would draft him .

Glad to see him doing well!
Pittsburghs juniors produced an incredible draft class. Saad, JT Miller, John Gibson, Vince Trocheck and all with pro size and pro potential. Not undersized prospects like many in the USPDT program or Chicagos jr programs.

Dont know if this was a one shot deal for Pittsburghs juniors or what they're feeding them but keep it up and I hope the Hawks keep on drafting kids from that area. Wish the Hawks were able to draft the others.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Wasn't it three OT goals?

The team was great in OT last year and in regulation, Crow wasn't. Yeah they made some mistakes but every team does and that's when you need a few clutch saves.
Personally, I never understood the whole, "Crawford needs to make saves" argument. I mean, I get that's his job, but last year, despite being bad defensively, Chicago still possessed the puck a lot, which meant the other team didn't get tons of shots. The problem for a goaltender is, when your team has the puck a lot, you don't face many shots and you can't get into a rhythm. That problem is exasperated when you don't face many shots, your not in a rhythm (as into the game as you could be) then your team turns the puck over in your zone and falls apart defensively, or your team turns the puck over in the offensive zone which leads to a breakaway/two-on-one/odd-man-rush the other way. That was routine for the Hawks last year, and even though the Hawks outshot the other team, on a lot of nights, Crawford would face the higher-quality scoring chances.

This year however, Chicago's been more structured defensively, have cut down on the turnovers, and what do you know.. Crawford has a .922Sv% and Emery has a .920Sv%. Goaltending is more a reflection of the team, than a reflection of the talent of the goaltender. It's not a coincidence that goaltenders that play behind defensively-orientated teams like LA, NYR, BOS, NSH, etc boast among the best Sv%'s in the league. Yes, Quick, Lundqvst, Rinne and Rask are all talented goaltenders, but none of them would have carried Chicago to the SCF with the way they played defense last year.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
sketch22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks82 View Post
He better get serious Calder consideration!
I just hope he doesn't win it. After the draft Saad took his fall personally and busted his ass to show people he should have been a top pick. If he gets snubbed for the Calder it may just put an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:52 AM
BobbyJet
Casual fan - Free Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Personally, I never understood the whole, "Crawford needs to make saves" argument. I mean, I get that's his job, but last year, despite being bad defensively, Chicago still possessed the puck a lot, which meant the other team didn't get tons of shots. The problem for a goaltender is, when your team has the puck a lot, you don't face many shots and you can't get into a rhythm. That problem is exasperated when you don't face many shots, your not in a rhythm (as into the game as you could be) then your team turns the puck over in your zone and falls apart defensively, or your team turns the puck over in the offensive zone which leads to a breakaway/two-on-one/odd-man-rush the other way. That was routine for the Hawks last year, and even though the Hawks outshot the other team, on a lot of nights, Crawford would face the higher-quality scoring chances.

This year however, Chicago's been more structured defensively, have cut down on the turnovers, and what do you know.. Crawford has a .922Sv% and Emery has a .920Sv%. Goaltending is more a reflection of the team, than a reflection of the talent of the goaltender. It's not a coincidence that goaltenders that play behind defensively-orientated teams like LA, NYR, BOS, NSH, etc boast among the best Sv%'s in the league. Yes, Quick, Lundqvst, Rinne and Rask are all talented goaltenders, but none of them would have carried Chicago to the SCF with the way they played defense last year.

I get your point but I think what you say pertains to the regular season. The Hawk team was inconsistent for most of the year defensively, no question, and the goaltending suffered as a result; but in the 1st round against Coyotes, we were clearly the better team in every aspect cept between the pipes. Because of Crawford’s poor play (and Mike Smith’s stellar play) we were unable to go past the 1st round, but based on that round, Hawks had upped their game at both ends of the ice. We get past that round, and who knows what could have followed.
I think Quick proved (again) that a good team can become great when you include stellar goaltending into the mix. Goaltenders have been the difference in many, many playoff series throughout the years. In fact I’d venture to say that over the years goalies have won more Conn Smythe trophies than all the other positions. It is the most important position in hockey and to say Hawks can win it all with average goaltending is quite a stretch…. aka unlikely.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Chicago's gone, something like, 22 straight OT games without surrendering a goal in OT. Obviously, that doesn't include the playoffs, but eventually Chicago fans are going to have to let go of those two OT goals last year. Phoenix was fortunate all series long and Chicago's own mistakes bit them in the ass. The team's different this year. If they haven't proven that to you yet, then I'm not sure what else they can do. The playoffs will be here in short order.
While your analysis of the PHX series is accurate, the first statement is basically meaningless since playoff OT is entirely different from regular season OT. It's not surprising that a team w/ the skill players that the Hawks have would take advantage 4-on-4.

Unfortunately teams like Phoenix (and Nash/STL/etc) can trap-trap-trap and just wait for that one mistake in playoff OT. It's kind of pathetic but that's just the way it is.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Pittsburghs juniors produced an incredible draft class. Saad, JT Miller, John Gibson, Vince Trocheck and all with pro size and pro potential. Not undersized prospects like many in the USPDT program or Chicagos jr programs.

Dont know if this was a one shot deal for Pittsburghs juniors or what they're feeding them but keep it up and I hope the Hawks keep on drafting kids from that area. Wish the Hawks were able to draft the others.
Hockey has really started to take off in the region since Lemieux and Burkle became owners of the team. They've been pumping a lot of money into the local programs. Hopefully we can keep producing NHL talent

Old
04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan
Blackhawk Down

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:

Their just isn't any defending Crow's performance against Phoenix. He was really good against Vancouver and I'm willing to see where he takes us this year, but you need your goalie to not let in the OT howlers he did last spring.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:

What is this? If you mean the National Development Team Program then I'm not sure about the undersized comment. They'll have some guys on the smaller side but they produce plenty or prospects with size.

Pittsburgh's definitely churned out some players the past couple of years, and they'll continue to.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 04-08-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old
04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Their just isn't any defending Crow's performance against Phoenix. He was really good against Vancouver and I'm willing to see where he takes us this year, but you need your goalie to not let in the OT howlers he did last spring.
Completely correct. But it's impossible for him to prove himself (at least to fans on here... not that that matters in the grand scheme of things, but hey) if every one he lets in means he's a terrible goalie to more than a few posters.

If Crawford overcommits terribly like Emery did on the first goal last night, a number of people would be calling for his head like they usually do. And I like Emery. I like both goalies.
Crawford has had 1 great playoff series and 1 bad one. At the very least it is unfair to throw out the blanket statement "he sucks in the playoffs, has the choker label." But too few seem to understand that. They want to label a goalie based on his sophomore slump rather than his very solid rookie season. Or his very solid third season.

(I know you professed nothing close to that opinion, this is just a general post).

Old
04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'm going to be a nervous wreck the first playoff OT we go to with Crow in net.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
ColdSteel2

Crawford is the guy. If he blows it, he'll be moved in the offseason and we'll go get someone better. If he plays like he can and did against Vancouver for most of the playoffs, we'll be looking to extend him. At least we will know for sure what to do.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Crawford is the guy. If he blows it, he'll be moved in the offseason and we'll go get someone better. If he plays like he can and did against Vancouver for most of the playoffs, we'll be looking to extend him. At least we will know for sure what to do.
I think if Crow lays an egg you go with Emery the next game. It's been working in the regular season and the playoffs are just too important a place to work on developing mental consistency when you have other options.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
ColdSteel2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I think if Crow lays an egg you go with Emery the next game. It's been working in the regular season and the playoffs are just too important a place to work on developing mental consistency when you have other options.
I'd rather they didn't. If we go down 0-2 or 1-2 or worse and Crawford is clearly the problem, make the switch. You can't go back and forth though. You make it, you stick with it. What would probably happen is the same as in the regular season. You put Emery in, he has a good game, then the next game he has a bad game. We can't flip flop back and forth. That's why I'd give Crawford some rope because once you make that switch, that is the last minute Crawford played in his Hawks career as far as I am concerned.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108

Interesting that Emery got both starts in the b2b. Im thinking the Hawks want to check his durability.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
ColdSteel2

Quote:
Interesting that Emery got both starts in the b2b. Im thinking the Hawks want to check his durability.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. The results weren't good. If he had a good game, this would be his net fo

Old
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
BobbyJet
Casual fan - Free Q

Quote:

That was part of what Q was thinking for sure (just in case). I think I’ve made it quite obvious that I don’t think either goalie is good enough, but if Emery does get the nod in this year’s PO’s, I doubt Stan will do a dam thing going forward other than the usual hum and haw. Chances are it won’t happen anyway. As I said in another thread Q’s body language tells me that the job remains Crawfords - Emery will need to be much better than he was last night to be considered while CC just needs to be his average self.

The difference this year will be Crawford’s leash, though it will be a long one, at least he has one this time, and Emery will be in reasonable game shape if Crawford folds under the pressure.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought too. The results weren't good. If he had a good game, this would be his net fo

2-0 1.50 GAA 1 SO.....not a good result?????

Old
04-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
saad is one of,if not the, best player from his draft so far and he was amid second round pick. already asolid defensive forward and good offensively. what a steal of apick.

ps: excuse the gushing
remember when we traded Brouwer to the Caps for #26 and the Caps McPhee said he didn't like a player left in the draft he would take over Brouwer and Caps Fans were fine with it

we got Danault with this pick and Saad later. Danault still to be seen but Saad is already better than Brouwer

Old
04-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
remember when we traded Brouwer to the Caps for #26 and the Caps McPhee said he didn't like a player left in the draft he would take over Brouwer and Caps Fans were fine with it

we got Danault with this pick and Saad later. Danault still to be seen but Saad is already better than Brouwer
..but Brouwer scores 20 goals and hits a lot. He's so much more valuable.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

don't forget, there weren't good guys left to be picked at #26

Old
04-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post

2-0 1.50 GAA 1 SO.....not a good result?????
I think coldsteel was talking about just the second game of the b2b, as the first game wouldn't really have any bearing on judging endurance/durability.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
ColdSteel2

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I was there and I was looking for it too. Some people around me were bummed about it being Emery but believe it or not, I was the one saying, no, this is who should be there, need to see what he does.

Closed Thread