HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames @ Avès | Should've brought a jockstrap instead

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I just hope this doesn't embarrass the guys into going on a winning streak.
Based on our schedule im not too worried about this. Gonna be some easy Pro line games coming up

Old
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 172
I watch other teams and envy some of them. I see those coaches who are constantly behind the bench talking to their guys, discussing the mistake from the previous shift, leaning into guys ears and talking them through a situation for the next shift, rallying the troops when the energy begins to lag and the ice begins to tilt, encouraging guys and pushing them when they are gaining control.

I then watch our beloved Avalanche, and see the stone face behind the bench, staring at the big screen, blankly looking over the heads of his players.

While this team may not have enough of a veteran presence, it also does not have a coach who, although supposedly good with young players, seems to want to lead the way.

This team needs an experienced coach, one who will shape these young men into winners. One who will continually demand more from them, allow them to develop and use their talents to succeed, while making it clear that a "good effort" is not enough anymore. It is time for "great efforts" to be the only acceptable result.

Also, while I will not say talent-wise this team is worse than before, I will say that this team changed when ROR rejoined the team. Whether it be coincidence or not, this is the same time I felt the coach started losing the room, and the fight began leaving the players.

In 20 days, this team better take hold of the opportunity to reboot and refresh. This season is a complete disaster, but hopefully the end of the tunnel is closer than it seems right now.

04-09-2013, 11:19 AM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Our next three games are going to be hilarious.

Back-to-back in Cali against the Ducks and Kings on Wed/Thur, then the Canucks at the Pepsi Center on Saturday night.

We're going to get rocked.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:21 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post

Back-to-back in Cali against the Ducks and Kings on Wed/Thur, then the Canucks at the Pepsi Center on Saturday night.

This.... The only bright spot is that it should solidify a top 3 pick. Cheering for a tank is so damn depressing.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:27 AM
The Shermanator
Custom User Title

Quote:

Except we often play not half bad against the better teams. And who knows, after Giggy's comments maybe the tem will actually play with a bit more spark.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:

Saw that on the schedule too. These three games could get ugly.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Except we often play not half bad against the better teams
Oh I wouldn't get my hopes up, come Saturday against the Canucks, it's business as usual and we're getting a trashing.

Team has given up a long time ago, Giguere is apparently the only one who didnt get the memo.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Bubba Thudd
Beautiful Freak

vCash: 5768
Even if the Avs manage to give the thrashing, they'll lose the game late in the 3rd.

But why does making friends have to be so very hard?
Old
04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
DL44
Use your Game Sense!

Came into this thread to see if you guys have uncovered who is going on this now infamous Vegas trip.

Think about how Jiggy has inadvertently set those guys up for massive criticism if people find out who they are... If just a single guy was annoying Jiggy by talking about the trip... the other, say 3-4 guys that may be going get unfairly thrown under simply by association.

Anyways... can't wait to find out who SOB is taking...

Old
04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Came into this thread to see if you guys have uncovered who is going on this now infamous Vegas trip.

Think about how Jiggy has inadvertently set those guys up for massive criticism if people find out who they are... If just a single guy was annoying Jiggy by talking about the trip... the other, say 3-4 guys that may be going get unfairly thrown under simply by association.

Anyways... can't wait to find out who SOB is taking...
Twitter will reveal all eventually.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
The only guy you just listed that were really important was McClement.

Him gone is a noticeable difference. Quincey was useless here, just like he has been in Detroit. He might have been a small upgrade to Zanon, but not a whole lot.

And Winnik was never of any use to us either. He was being poorly used by Sacco last year creating more problems then good for us.

If we draft Jones this summer, we will more then replace Quincey from last year.

Sacco is the problem, if you cant see that from Giggy's comments tonight, then I don't even know why I am typing this.
Lets not delude ourselves here Winnik and McClement played the hardest defensive minutes for us last year amongst forwards and were absolutely not replaced. We went from Winnik/McClement/O'reilly/Landeskog being our top 4 PKing forwards to Duchene/Landeskog/Stastny/???

We've had to use Stastny as a shutdown forward with <40% offensive zone starts this season, that should have never been the case.

Quincey has been bad in Detroit but he was the best partner we had for EJ at any point last season and if you don't think Hunwick or Zanon on the first/second pairing (considering that Sacco used EJ as a 2nd pairing guy last year) is a massive downgrade from Quincey then you're kidding yourself.

Gali had a rough season last year but trading him also weakens our PK depth.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Bubba Thudd
Beautiful Freak

vCash: 5768
If they all go, they can call it "team building"

Old
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Then they will have to find a way to convince management to bring Lupul, Biznasty, and Upshall into the fold.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
cgf
Fire Bednar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Except we often play not half bad against the better teams. And who knows, after Giggy's comments maybe the tem will actually play with a bit more spark.
Giggy's gunna shut out the ducks.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 172
I'm sure I'll get corrected, but it sure seems to me that Stastny absence is noticeable.

I know he is not an offensive juggernaut (not his fault entirely), nor is he ROR-esque defensively, but he seemed to bring a steady presence on the ice. He seems to have a great chemistry with most of our key players as well.

This team seems to be fracturing by the minute, and it is becoming a group of individuals and not a team. Hejda has fought twice for God's sake, our goalies are getting continually clipped and pushed into the net, our stars are getting smoked along the boards and in open ice, and without anyone/everyone responding on their behalf.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I'm sure I'll get corrected, but it sure seems to me that Stastny absence is noticeable.

I know he is not an offensive juggernaut (not his fault entirely), nor is he ROR-esque defensively, but he seemed to bring a steady presence on the ice. He seems to have a great chemistry with most of our key players as well.

This team seems to be fracturing by the minute, and it is becoming a group of individuals and not a team. Hejda has fought twice for God's sake, our goalies are getting continually clipped and pushed into the net, our stars are getting smoked along the boards and in open ice, and without anyone/everyone responding on their behalf.
I 100% agree. I was bashing Stastny earlier this season, but I think we are seeing how important he is. Also 39.9% offensive zone starts is not a recipe for offensive success... the only player lower was Sgarbossa. Duchene and ROR are well over 50%.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:06 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
James Bond will mistake them for the SPECTRE Organization.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Coloradorov

vCash: 709
Quote:

I suppose bumping vCash bets to 20% bankroll against the Avs will allow for a strong finish to the season.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
the_fan

Does Giguere ever look in front of him to see who's playing on defense?

I understand Giguere is upset about losing and all, but he also needs to realize that if Hunwick logs over 20 minutes a game, Zanon, O'Brien play top 4 minutes, and young guys like Barrie, Elliott who will make mistakes before they learn to play in the NHL, Avs will not win many games.

Someone should send this to JS to put his mind at ease.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

After practice article... Giggy not backing down, though he apologized.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...medium=twitter

Quote:
"I liked it," Matt Duchene said. "I hoped everyone saw it. Obviously he let his emotions get the best of him, but sometimes that's a good thing. I was a fan of it. That's one example of what might be going on with some guys, but the biggest thing is, we can't be looking for an easy way out. The hard way out is getting better every day as a team and as an individual, and that's what we owe to ourselves, each other and to our fans. What Jiggy said hopefully grabbed the attention over everyone.
"And if there's any guy in here who can say that, it's him. It's good that he's upset. There's other guys in here who are upset as well. This is not fun."Said defenseman Erik Johnson: "He said it in the heat of the moment and he's an emotional guy. When you lose, these things happen. In my opinion, he's a veteran guy and can say what he wants."

Old
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Coloradorov

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post

"Bottom line is, we could say we'll wait until next year, and start over next year, start a new season and all that, or we can do something about it now."
"We know we're going to have the same group, essentially the same players, so why not try to change that mentality, that culture, right now?"

Sounds like he is planning on being on this team again next year. Hopefully that squashes any mutterings about how he might want out.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:41 PM
IndustryLeech

vCash: 4126
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post

Quote:
Meanwhile, Sacco said center Paul Stastny will return from a nagging foot injury Tuesday against the Ducks, and Sami Aittokallio has been called up from the Lake Erie Monsters of the American Hockey League to serve as Giguere's backup during the California trip.
Uh, the game is Wednesday. The Denver Post is so bad.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:52 PM
hold3n
In Mourning

So I went back and took a screenshot of Stastny's basket that I thought had a framed picture of TJ Galiardi in it... looks like its just a signed puck lol

Old
04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Orwell1984

It's interesting that we don't get any quotes from the captain on the state of the dressing room or the team. What's the deal?

Old
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell1984 View Post
It's interesting that we don't get any quotes from the captain on the state of the dressing room or the team. What's the deal?
Maybe his quotes are not memorable? Reporters tend to interview a number of players, it is just that Duchene, EJ, and JSG are all the quotable ones right now.

Closed Thread