HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils lose another SO to Sabres

Old
04-07-2013, 11:16 PM
OpethNJD
loldevils

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
Aha no arguments from me, I agree wholeheartedly. The Kings' roster was one meant to make the playoffs and do well in them. The Devils' roster? Not so much.
Nobody counted on the kings going anywhere last year even at the beginning of round 1, and now everyone's saying they were built for the playoffs. You guys might've given up on this roster but I still see a deep run with a fully healthy squad...we have the depth...it just doesn't look like it because of lack of confidence combined with a slump of every one of our big guns.

OpethNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:16 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
Zajac better ****ing breakout next year and score 30 or he can bounce like some tit-ehs

I'll give him a pass on this year because he's without his bff

Old
04-07-2013, 11:19 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethNJD View Post
Nobody counted on the kings going anywhere last year even at the beginning of round 1, and now everyone's saying they were built for the playoffs. You guys might've given up on this roster but I still see a deep run with a fully healthy squad...we have the depth...it just doesn't look like it because of lack of confidence combined with a slump of every one of our big guns.
The Kings were matched up with the President's Trophy winners two years running in Round 1, that's why nobody gave them a chance. People knew they were a talented team that was underachieving, they made the playoffs the year before with an up-and-coming roster and had added Richards. They needed a coaching change, and the big trade to get them going.

If we were so deep, we wouldn't completely die when one of our big guns was out of the lineup for a few games.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Bleedred
#freeauvitu

If there's one thing I have to blame Lou for during the 10/11 season it was waiting until two days before Christmas to pull the plug on his little ***** Maclean. That tool should have been gone two days before Thanksgiving. After that horrible spanking at home against the Habs at the very latest during the beginning of December. That should have been the end of him. Instead it took an Eric Boulton hat trick followed by a blowout in DC which featured mostly a bunch of the Caps bums scoring goals. I never thought he was head coaching material anyway. He stunk as PP coach too, most especially in the playoffs. 06 Carolina series, or 08 Rangers series anyone? Parise spits some chiclets out, and we spend 4 minutes on the PP skating around like zombies? I guarantee Vanderbeek pulled the plug on that one. He was the one who did the interview the day he was fired about how the product was unacceptable.

Lou rebounded very nicely from that, so let's see if he'll rebound us for next year.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethNJD View Post
I recall a bunch of predictions (I know they aren't the be-all-end-all, but they're something) that had the Kings finishing a top their conference and go far in the playoffs. They under-achieved heavily last year until late season and the playoffs. The Kings we saw at the end of the season and throughout the playoffs is the team a lot of people thought they would be during the season (maybe to a lesser extent in the playoffs, they were unstoppable there).

I see what you're saying, with a fully healthy squad, and everyone performing to their norm, this team can make the playoffs and maybe make a run. However, arguably the biggest piece of their roster is missing, possibly for the rest of the season, and those that are in the lineup are struggling beyond belief. This season is just too short and there are too few games remaining. The only way this team is going to make the playoffs is if they start winning, starting their next game. Non of this loser point ******** anymore, they need wins and they need a bunch of them. Could they do it? Yes, they could. But I don't see it as being likely.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:27 PM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

vCash: 1120
Time to press the button

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

theking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:29 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
If there's one thing I have to blame Lou for during the 10/11 season it was waiting until two days before Christmas to pull the plug on his little ***** Maclean. That tool should have been gone two days before Thanksgiving. After that horrible spanking at home against the Habs at the very latest during the beginning of December. That should have been the end of him. Instead it took an Eric Boulton hat trick followed by a blowout in DC which featured mostly a bunch of the Caps bums scoring goals. I never thought he was head coaching material anyway. He stunk as PP coach too, most especially in the playoffs. 06 Carolina series, or 08 Rangers series anyone? Parise spits some chiclets out, and we spend 4 minutes on the PP skating around like zombies? I guarantee Vanderbeek pulled the plug on that one. He was the one who did the interview the day he was fired about how the product was unacceptable.

Lou rebounded very nicely from that, so let's see if he'll rebound us for next year.
I think Lou actually gets too much blame for waiting too long with MacLean. Most head coaches don't get fired after 33 games. Only Melrose got fired in a shorter period of time, and he wasn't a first-time coach, and there were other issues (Stamkos) that played into that.

The problem with the Devils in October and November was everyone knew they were bad, but they weren't losing at quite the rate that they would in December. They would occasionally spurt back to life, like the win in Chicago or the three game in four stretch with Moose. They were 8-14-2 going into December. Not great, but not to the level where you would think the guy would get the plug pulled, especially considering the Parise/Rolston/Sal/Volch injuries. Then they nose-dived and lost games by multiple goals one on top of another and there was no choice by late December.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

It pains me to say this but I think the Rangers might be the Kings of last year. I dont know I see some similarities between those 2 teams

Benedict Parisechuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:32 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
It pains me to say this but I think the Rangers might be the Kings of last year. I dont know I see some similarities between those 2 teams
That one makes me shudder cause there's a lot more truth to it. They're not quite as good a team, but they got their identity back with the moves at the deadline. At least the identity they had last year. And Hamrlik/etc is better on the back end than Bickel and whoever else they ran out on the third pairing last year.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Bleedred
#freeauvitu

I don't know about you guys but the Maclean half season just seems to be getting further and further away after this season. It's becoming a distant memory after the last two months. Honestly the team hasn't been much better the last 7 or 8 weeks. The defense is much better than that half season. It was non existent the entire time. The offense though isn't any stronger. Only that team has a better group of forwards even when Parise went down injured. This team really does not. Even Zajac had 22 points by game 39 of that season, as opposed to 14 in 39.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Zajac better ****ing breakout next year and score 30 or he can bounce like some tit-ehs

I'll give him a pass on this year because he's without his bff
I really wonder how much Parise affected Zajac's game. It cant be the sole reason why hes sucking dick right now but it definitely looks like part of it. His offense has never been that great, even though I think hes always had a solid shot, so scoring 30 next year might be difficult but I definitely agree if he doesnt bounce back to what he usually is then we have a SERIOUS issue on our hands with that contract

Old
04-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Devils Dominion
DraftPicks 4 Castron

Quote:
I really wonder how much Parise affected Zajac's game. It cant be the sole reason why hes sucking dick right now but it definitely looks like part of it. His offense has never been that great, even though I think hes always had a solid shot, so scoring 30 next year might be difficult but I definitely agree if he doesnt bounce back to what he usually is then we have a SERIOUS issue on our hands with that contract
I doubt how healthy he has been this season.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That one makes me shudder cause there's a lot more truth to it. They're not quite as good a team, but they got their identity back with the moves at the deadline. At least the identity they had last year. And Hamrlik/etc is better on the back end than Bickel and whoever else they ran out on the third pairing last year.
Yup they basically have to collapse to not make the playoffs right now. I had a feeling after those trades were made and after they blew out the Pens that same night that they were gonna be a dangerous team now. Those 2 games we have with them at the garden scare the crap outta me if were right on the outside looking to get in. There gonna have revenge on their minds after the playoffs to knock us out

Old
04-07-2013, 11:42 PM
chessarmy

I'm apathetic towards this season now. If they win and get in, great, but this is the worst they've looked in years and I'm not expecting anything.

Hopefully Marty gets a legitimate shot at the cup next season, because it will probably be his last chance.

chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
I think a big reason why Zajac has declined so much is the lack of a 3rd, capable body on the 1st line. For the beginning of the season it was him and Kovy paired with someone that was asked to play above their heads in a role they weren't accustomed to. For heaven's sake Poni is not a 1st liner and him being up there is a testament to the lack of top-end skill this team has on that wing. If Lou can find a suitable replacement to play along Zajac and Kovalchuk then I think his production will increase significantly. Until then, they'll need to carry a 3rd linemate that shouldn't be there and will only be a hindrance.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Bleedred
#freeauvitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I think Lou actually gets too much blame for waiting too long with MacLean. Most head coaches don't get fired after 33 games. Only Melrose got fired in a shorter period of time, and he wasn't a first-time coach, and there were other issues (Stamkos) that played into that.

The problem with the Devils in October and November was everyone knew they were bad, but they weren't losing at quite the rate that they would in December. They would occasionally spurt back to life, like the win in Chicago or the three game in four stretch with Moose. They were 8-14-2 going into December. Not great, but not to the level where you would think the guy would get the plug pulled, especially considering the Parise/Rolston/Sal/Volch injuries. Then they nose-dived and lost games by multiple goals one on top of another and there was no choice by late December.
I wanted him gone after that Habs game in early December. I wanted him gone in November actually, but I thought that was it after the Habs game at home. There were a couple okay games like Moose had that good streak, and they had that goal explosion against Washington around Thanksgiving. Marty also had a few shutouts. In fact I think at one point 3 of Marty's 4 wins were shutouts. Marty was also pretty good early in that season aside from that horrific game against Washington early in the season when he looked like he was coming out of a 3 year retirement.

Marty was keeping games pretty close during the beginning of that season like he is now. Then he got injured, came back, and eventually fell off the cliff with the rest of them. Then he even told Terreri to tell Jacques that the team is better off with Moose in net for the time being because he had no confidence. Of course it only lasted for a week. I still think Vanderbeek pulled the plug on Maclean. I would bet large amounts of money, and be absolutely shocked if Vanderbeek didn't say ''I've had enough get him the **** out of here now!'' when he was finally canned. We've seen Lou have a quick trigger finger on many coaches before during winning seasons. Ftorek was probably the only one who deserved it for being a loose cannon. Maclean was kinda like his project though that he conceived and groomed for years to take that position.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Yea I think it's basically a combination of everything going wrong with him and what's around him for Zajac. Don't know about not being fully healthy. He had an entire offseason plus a few months from the lockout to recover but anything's possible I guess

Old
04-07-2013, 11:50 PM
chessarmy

I'm really ****ing concerned about Travis Zajac. This is the worst possible scenario for the team, they just signed him to a monster 8 year deal, and then he falls off a cliff. I'm hoping this season turns out to be an anomaly for him, and he gets it back on track next year. But Parise isn't coming back, he needs to find chemistry with someone actually on the team.

One thing that has been highlighted about Travis this year, is his lack of individual skill. We were accustomed to his solid play on both ends of the ice, but its obvious much of that had to do with Parise. Well, he's gone, and now I'm afraid Zajac's contract may have ****ed the team

Old
04-07-2013, 11:52 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Really annoyed about the fact that Elias had a sure goal denied by a trip on his shootout attempt. We'll end up missing the playoffs by 1 point.

I had a group of 4 obnoxious fat drunk ****** behind me screaming for fights all game.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Devils Dominion
DraftPicks 4 Castron

It's not a huge stretch to think they can go winless the rest of the way.
Unlikely but would not be shocking.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Parise9Crosby87

let's face it losing zach parise really hurt us we needed players to step up this year but they couldn't zajac henrique clarkson we can't rely on a 36 old elias to carry our team and kovy

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:58 PM
apice3*

Rangers are not winning a Cup with a defense that consists of any combination of Hamrlik, Eminger, Stralman, Gilroy and Bickel.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:58 PM
chessarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Really annoyed about the fact that Elias had a sure goal denied by a trip on his shootout attempt. We'll end up missing the playoffs by 1 point.

I had a group of 4 obnoxious fat drunk ****** behind me screaming for fights all game.
I love going to games live, but it can be somewhat detrimental to the experience when fans shout stupid words of advice to the players. I sat next to some guy at Prudential Center a few years ago, who was screaming for the guys to "pass the puck to Marty" for most of the game. Then you get the guys who scream for fights, or shots when the player clearly doesn't have a shooting lane.

Oh well, at least they're being vocal - although I wish they'd stop at "lets go Devils"

Old
04-07-2013, 11:59 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
It's not a huge stretch to think they can go winless the rest of the way.
Unlikely but would not be shocking.
Some of you guys are funny.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:00 AM
chessarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Rangers are not winning a Cup with a defense that consists of any combination of Hamrlik, Eminger, Stralman, Gilroy and Bickel.
Their D is suspect, but Sather did a wonderful job acquiring forward depth for his team after much of it was poached in the Nash/CBJ deal.

I thought the Rags won that Gaborik trade, no question