HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you want Rolston to return next year? (quantification purposes)

View Poll Results: Do you want Ron Rolston to return as Head Coach of the Sabres in 2014?
Yes 18 13.85%
No 79 60.77%
Ask me in 9 games 33 25.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
littletonhockeycoach

vCash: 500
I like what Rolston has done and I'm betting he's going to be given the nod. But I'm not sure he's best for this franchise at this particular time however.... (Seems like he's the sort of guy you'd want running your D-1 program.)

Speaking of D-1. George Gwozdecky might be available..........

I'm already on record about Dave Tippett. I really like his approach -strategically and tactically. He's be near the top of my list.

I don't know much to anything about Eakins so I will pass & have to check him out for myself.

I do know a little bit about Patrick Roy. For instance, I know he wanted GM level control when the Avalanche brought him in for interviews. Not sure he'd want to just coach under Darcy. I don't think he'd respect him and keep in mind that Patrick is a loose cannon (Pegual/Black). Plus he's Grande Pubba of his Junior team. I can't see him giving that up.

I'll also note that Patrick has no NHL COACHING experience but his results at Major Junior Level speaks volumes.

I'll throw Tony Granato's name out because I think he has matured under Blyzma's tutelage.... No idea where he is contractually.

Finally, my reach for the moon candidate would be Mike Babcock.... I doubt he would ever leave unless he's given full control. Plus he'd have to adjust to the talent level here in Buffalo versus Detroit.

But Scotty Bowman was supposedly unreachable once upon a time........... (yeah I know, in the end, that didn't work out all that well for us.....)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Take a minute to look at his circumstances... he probably took the Rochester job never imagining that he'd be replacing Lindy Ruff. Ever. Less than halfway through a shortened season where teams play basically every other day, don't really get all that much time to practice, he has to come to coach a team where the only players he really knows are the guys who played for him in Rochester, on a team that was playing terrible and was a bit of a circus after firing Ruff. Even with injuries, selling off some of the players (for no immediate NHL impact players), etc., he's got them battling for a playoff spot. Are they going to make it? In all likelihood, no, but he's done a really impressive job.

... with all of that being said, I'd prefer the team goes in a different direction. If they're going to go through with this rebuild, start with a clean slate. I would absolutely love it if they could pry Dallas Eakins out of Toronto, IMO he's the best coach not in the NHL, and it would be awesome to take him from the Leafs. If they decided to keep Rolston, I'd be fine with it, but in my ideal world he goes back to Rochester and the Sabres get a new coach.

I voted 'no' but it's more of a 'not really'

Last edited by Sean McG: 04-08-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

No thanks. I've liked what he's done with benching players upon mistakes and stuff, but he's completely f***ed the tank over. Gimme Eakins.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

No thanks. Despite the improved record, we've only won 5 games in regulation in the 22 he's coached. He's pretty brutal with player usage and I think he's getting too much credit for some of the younger players improvement.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
MayDayMayDay

I want a player's coach with fire, passion, and championship experience in this league (not to mention, recent experience coaching young teams).

I want Doug Gilmour.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
slip

If he makes the playoffs and wins a round, yes.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I voted wait 9 games but I'm leaning towards no regardless. To be clear, I want get 9 more games of info and impressions on Rolston, not to see if they make it to the playoffs or not, that is sorta ancillary to my decision.

The things that annoy me most about Rolston I'm not sure are completely his fault (ie, an Adam-Porter-Flynn 3rd line has a long of injury and roster-structure issues associated with it), but I'd like to see some level of innovation from whoever the head coach is. It's not really fair to make that judgement after 31 games in a lockout-compressed season, I realize, but I'm not going to completely close the door just because the only other candidates people can think of are Patrick Roy and Dallas Eakins.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:34 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I was going to say yes because he has performed fairly well. I voted no though because I want someone completely new who hasn't had any dealings with Lindy or his style of hockey.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
I picked "no". As I found the options limiting, this is the one that most represents how I feel.

Let me put it this way: I don't want him to be the lead candidate in the offseason. I want them to interview several legitimate candidates. That includes up-and-comers such as Eakins and Roy. Out of veteran NHL coaches, at least Tippett if he's available (he's one of the best in the league imo). Then I'm sure there are candidates I'm not aware of who're deserving of a look.

If, owing to some combination of disinterest from other coaches + Rolston showing himself to be better than others in the process, Rolston gets hired, then so be it. I certainly am not sitting here thinking "here's our next coach", but I'm not thinking that he's a terrible option, either.

Whatever happens in the next 9 games will have hardly any bearing on how I feel.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
I want him coaching the Amerks.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
No thanks. Despite the improved record, we've only won 5 games in regulation in the 22 he's coached. He's pretty brutal with player usage and I think he's getting too much credit for some of the younger players improvement.
The young guys he developed in Rochester then brought up when he took over?

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I picked "no". As I found the options limiting, this is the one that most represents how I feel.

Let me put it this way: I don't want him to be the lead candidate in the offseason. I want them to interview several legitimate candidates. That includes up-and-comers such as Eakins and Roy. Out of veteran NHL coaches, at least Tippett if he's available (he's one of the best in the league imo). Then I'm sure there are candidates I'm not aware of who're deserving of a look.

If, owing to some combination of disinterest from other coaches + Rolston showing himself to be better than others in the process, Rolston gets hired, then so be it. I certainly am not sitting here thinking "here's our next coach", but I'm not thinking that he's a terrible option, either.

Whatever happens in the next 9 games will have hardly any bearing on how I feel.
Please advise what you'd have liked the poll options to be.

It's a pretty straight forward question. Your answer is "no," is it not?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Luceni

I voted "Ask me in 9 games" but at the moment my answer would be "no".

Darcy said we will go full rebuild, so I want someone outside of the organization.
I can't see Rolston saying', that there isn't enough talent in the pipeline. He was coach of the amerks and I really doubt that he wants to sell the players he knows for other assets.

That said, if we make the playoffs and win a round, I'd keep him.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

Do I want him to remain the bench boss? No. There are way better options out there.

But the real question is...Do Terry and Darcy want him to coach? I'm thinking yes.

Workensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:32 AM
wunderpanda
sabre of damocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
No thanks. I've liked what he's done with benching players upon mistakes and stuff, but he's completely f***ed the tank over. Gimme Eakins.
So you don't want Rolston because he has won games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
He is winning more than Ruff did with a worse roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
I want him coaching the Amerks.
I don't think that is even an option, he has done enough to get a NHL job. If they didn't want Rolston to be coach James Patrick would be the interim.

If Rolston was having this same turnaround with any other team, people would be praying for Darcy to come here. He's been in the organization for barely 2 seasons, he isn't a Lindy stooge, he has coached these Amerks call ups that are surprising everyone and he has a resume full of championships and medals. He also knows the prospects that will be coming up the next couple seasons. I would rather we extend the successful coach thats already here than hire an unproven junior coach or NHL retread.

Last edited by wunderpanda: 04-09-2013 at 12:43 AM.
wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I don't want Rolston, because I don't want to watch boring hockey.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
There are a lot of comments I don't like in this thread, but this is absurd. You don't want him next season because he "f'd the tank over"? C'mon. "Gimme Eakins"? Why because he'll know to lose for real?

Look I want to draft in the top 3 as much as anyone, but if you are judging the coaching performance on his ability to lose you've got it all wrong. Personally, I believe Rolston has done pretty darn well. He shore up a lot of their defensive misgivings despite the team trading away two NHL veterans that playoff teams just paid to acquire. He made in season improvements with the same assistant coaches that the fired coach lost with. And, he has made the line changes and benchings we were asking for from the old regime.

IF they are going full rebuild (meaning trading Vanek and/or Miller and Stafford, etc.) then I give Rolston another year because of his success with young players. If he does well we succeed. If he doesn't do well, you open the opportunity again for a new GM and improve our chances of a top draft pick.

With a full offseason and a chance to pick his own assistants that can maybe add some more PP and PK expertise. I think you'll see things much different then we've had with Ruff.

If the Sabres are adding veterans to the current roster in hopes of being in contention next season, then I open up my search with Rolston as a consideration and pick the best option from Rolston, Roy, Eakins and the other contenders.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:48 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post

IF they are going full rebuild (meaning trading Vanek and/or Miller and Stafford, etc.) then I give Rolston another year because of his success with young players. If he does well we succeed. If he doesn't do well, you open the opportunity again for a new GM and improve our chances of a top draft pick.
Very intriguing notion. Something for me to ponder and mull over. Nice job.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
There are a lot of comments I don't like in this thread, but this is absurd. You don't want him next season because he "f'd the tank over"? C'mon. "Gimme Eakins"? Why because he'll know to lose for real?

Look I want to draft in the top 3 as much as anyone, but if you are judging the coaching performance on his ability to lose you've got it all wrong. Personally, I believe Rolston has done pretty darn well. He shore up a lot of their defensive misgivings despite the team trading away two NHL veterans that playoff teams just paid to acquire. He made in season improvements with the same assistant coaches that the fired coach lost with. And, he has made the line changes and benchings we were asking for from the old regime.

With a full offseason and a chance to pick his own assistants that can maybe add some more PP and PK expertise. I think you'll see things much different then we've had with Ruff.

If the Sabres are adding veterans to the current roster in hopes of being in contention next season, then I open up my search with Rolston as a consideration and pick the best option from Rolston, Roy, Eakins and the other contenders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Very intriguing notion. Something for me to ponder and mull over. Nice job.
I was going to post a similar thought so I'll just add on to this here. If they are really going to blow the rest of this thing up, then winning isn't primary, development is. If winning is secondary then then identity of the coach really isn't that important, his player development ability (and frankly, his cheapness) is his best value.

So I think there is a reasonable argument to be made to just go cheap, keep Rolston, and develop on his watch so that the next coach (whoever that is) can take over and reap the benefits. There's a certain logic to that I think.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Shoey
Hello.

I want a coach that stops parking Vanek in front of the net on powerplays.

It's the only qualification I require to coach the Buffalo Sabres, and until Rolston does it I want somebody else.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
sabrescupchamps2099
Baseball season!

I'm on the fence about him. I say, ask me in 9 games. If we do clinch 8th by either winning all of our next games (which is very unlikely), or winning 7 or 8 of our next 9 games in regulation and we win a playoff series or 2 or God forgive me for saying this a Stanley Cup then yes. Knowing the Sabres organization though, Rolston will be hired full time when the Sabres don't make the playoffs which will happen.

sabrescupchamps2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:38 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Nope, I want an outside guy with no bias for any of these players.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
I'd love to keep the guy in Rochester but that's not gonna happen.

I want the team to go outside the organization and hire a fiery personality. Personally I love the idea of a Patrick Roy type.

Two years ago, I would have said hire Scott Arniel as the coach. Well it didn't work out too well in Columbus form him but when he was an assistant here and working with the PowerPlay we had a great unit.

What about Dale Hunter? His success at London (OHL) has been exceptional and he played and coaches with passion and energy.

Last edited by krt88: 04-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.
krt88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post

I don't think that is even an option, he has done enough to get a NHL job.
Well, I'd agree it likely isn't an option, simply because he's had a taste now and will probably get himself an assistant job somewhere.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Djp

Id give Arniel a shot----

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote