HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stalock's future with the Sharks

Old
04-16-2013, 06:02 PM
FeedingFrenzy

vCash: 500
Stalock's future with the Sharks

Very few Sharks fans agree(if any) with me on trading Nemo this summer in order to give Alex his chance...So I ask, when is he is going to get much playing time in order to find out if he can handle the #1G??? If he backs up Nemo for 3 more years what benefit is that to us or him?? TMAC rides Niemi like a horse..Stalock would be lucky to get 15g playing goal...
Give Stalock the reins and back him up with a vet goalie..Nemo+pick would be a very tradeable asset..Frees up 3.8 mil as well....Bottom line is Stalock needs the chance.We have a good system in front of him,let him play....

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:12 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Very few Sharks fans agree(if any) with me on trading Nemo this summer in order to give Alex his chance...So I ask, when is he is going to get much playing time in order to find out if he can handle the #1G??? If he backs up Nemo for 3 more years what benefit is that to us or him?? TMAC rides Niemi like a horse..Stalock would be lucky to get 15g playing goal...
Give Stalock the reins and back him up with a vet goalie..Nemo+pick would be a very tradeable asset..Frees up 3.8 mil as well....Bottom line is Stalock needs the chance.We have a good system in front of him,let him play....

In Niemi, the Sharks have an above average goaltender being paid like he's below average. The only reason to trade him is if someone offers (as Jux has said) a top 5 pick or a high end young forward and I'm not even sure that's a great idea.

If Stalock or Greiss or anyone else wants to take over the #1 job they'll have to earn it. Greiss had an opportunity to prove his worth last season and he didn't. If Stalock backs up next year he'll likely get that opportunity as well.

I like Stalock and do think he has a future in the NHL but it's a horrible idea to just "hand" the reins over to a completely unproven goalie for no reason at all.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:19 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
So i have a couple opinions on this, basically I am undecided:

1) I'm not opposed to trade Niemi while his value is at an all time high. Dirt cheap contract for a Vezina caliber goalie with a cup already. I am a big fan of Stalock, and Sateri too, and think they absolutely both could be starters. That said, could they both be vezina candidates? Unlikely. In the end, of the Sharks, internally, are not going to shoot for the cup next season (they would never say that) and want to take advantage of a huge draft and possibly fend off a rebuild completely, yes, trade Niemi. Trade Boyle, Trade one of Thornton/Marleau/Havlat too if possible. Get as many young players and draft picks prior to the draft as you can and go into next season with an almost entirely new core.

2) Niemi has been better than anyones predictions were for him this season. He has almost single-handededly dragged this team kicking and screaming into the playoffs. Few goalies can do that kind of thing. It sends a terrible message to trade your MVP (play really well and we'll trade you for value!) and it sends a terrible message about what your organization expects next season. Greiss should be let go and Stalock/Sateri split time next season. Niemi should be given a bit more rest next year and those two more of an opportunity. If Niemi goes down with an injury they get their shot at full time work (how most goalies break into the league). We don't owe Stalock or Sateri anything, they need to earn it. Hell, JP Anderson, Heemskirk, or that new goalie could supplant them for all we know.

In the end, I'm leaning more towards option two at this point. I know how badly some teams beg for a solid goalie and we have not had that problem in SO long I don't want to start now. McLellan just needs to give Niemi some more games off.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Niemi isn't getting any games off the rest of the year. Stalock has an NHL future but I am against just handing him the keys and trading Nemo just to give him a chance. Earn your spot. Do I wish Niemi would play less? How much less? All number 1 goalies get a heavy workload like Nemo.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:53 PM
sjshark91

Back up next year get's 10 starts.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
In Niemi, the Sharks have an above average goaltender being paid like he's below average. The only reason to trade him is if someone offers (as Jux has said) a top 5 pick or a high end young forward and I'm not even sure that's a great idea.

If Stalock or Greiss or anyone else wants to take over the #1 job they'll have to earn it. Greiss had an opportunity to prove his worth last season and he didn't. If Stalock backs up next year he'll likely get that opportunity as well.

I like Stalock and do think he has a future in the NHL but it's a horrible idea to just "hand" the reins over to a completely unproven goalie for no reason at all.
The only issue I have is that no one will have a chance to earn it since Niemi plays every game. Maybe it will be different next year when we have pre-season and 82 games.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:54 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
The only issue I have is that no one will have a chance to earn it since Niemi plays every game. Maybe it will be different next year when we have pre-season and 82 games.
The coaches are clearly not comfortable with Greiss. He's been hit or miss in his starts and had a real opportunity to earn more games last year and just wasn't good enough when that time came.

Several starting goalies in the NHL had to jump at an opportunity (be it the #1 struggling, injury, whatever) to take over the net, that's really the way it should be.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Back up next year, he'll get some starts. Depending how he does will determine how many starts he gets.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I am a big fan of Stalock, and Sateri too, and think they absolutely both could be starters.
Sateri is two seasons away from even being an NHL back-up...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
lsx

I'd love to see this team get a puck moving goalie back into the net, Stalock should be given starts next year. I'd also agree with moving Niemi now with his value so high, get some more good picks, prospects, or young players. We've got depth in goalie development, time to use it.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:54 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Sateri is two seasons away from even being an NHL back-up...
Just meant, potential, not right now.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
I'd love to see this team get a puck moving goalie back into the net, Stalock should be given starts next year. I'd also agree with moving Niemi now with his value so high, get some more good picks, prospects, or young players. We've got depth in goalie development, time to use it.
Ok say they do move Nemo..who takes his spot? Greiss? Stalock. Yeah that would suck.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Back up next year, he'll get some starts. Depending how he does will determine how many starts he gets.
And that kind of environment is poor for developing players, especially goalies.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
And that kind of environment is poor for developing players, especially goalies.
He has a camp and preseason to lock down a back up job. Its not the end of the world if he gets 10-15 starts next year.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He has a camp and preseason to lock down a back up job. Its not the end of the world if he gets 10-15 starts next year.
I never said it was the end of the world. I said it's poor for developing goalies and it is. You don't develop very much playing 10-15 times in six months. Goalies develop by playing consistently.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:39 PM
FeedingFrenzy

[QUOTE=stalockrox;64062563]In Niemi, the Sharks have an above average goaltender being paid like he's below average. The only reason to trade him is if someone offers (as Jux has said) a top 5 pick or a high end young forward and I'm not even sure that's a great idea.

I like Stalock and do think he has a future in the NHL but it's a horrible idea to just "hand" the reins over to a completely unproven goalie for no reason at all.[/QUOTE]

Shipping out 3.8mil and getting picks/prospects back for as you put it "an above avg goalie" is a great reason is it not?? More flexibility.Stalock is our top/best prospect..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
Now is the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Ok say they do move Nemo..who takes his spot? Greiss? Stalock. Yeah that would suck.
How do you know Stalock would suck??? How does anyone know???? He's our top prospect, give him a chance for petes sake......

Old
04-16-2013, 10:53 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
So what do you propose the Sharks do if Stalock can't cut it?

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:58 PM
chrisclark110

Yeah, let's trade one of the best goalies in the league and put the workload of a #1 goaltender on the back of a guy who is completely unproven at the NHL level and sign a "vet" to "back him up"

Niemi is playing out of this world, he's the only reason we are still in the playoff race
"free up 3.8 million in cap"... You do realize that's sooo cheap for a goaltender that plays as well and as often as he does? It's not like he's 35+ years old or anything..

He lets in a softie every once in a while but who doesn't?
He improved his rebound control so much and clears the puck out a lot better this year.

Take Nemi off this team and we just got a lot worse. It sucks to have goaltending issues, and unless the return is ridiculous(super ridiculous) we shouldn't do that.

Who cares if he's our top prospect? Don't trade a top ten goalie just to let him play more...
I think moves like that are best left to nhl13 bagm mode

Let him back up 15-20 starts, see how it goes and make sateri woostahs #1

I like stalock a lot too.

chrisclark110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
So what do you propose the Sharks do if Stalock can't cut it?
Getting a better team in front of the goalie would be my first inclination. Like it or not, the goalie doesn't impact the wins and losses as much as people like. Yeah, Nemo has been stellar this year but when the team sucked, they still lost and when the team was better was when they started winning.

If Stalock in particular doesn't cut it, play Greiss. One of them will be rode once the team in front of the goalie finds their stride.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

[QUOTE=FeedingFrenzy;64090523]
Quote:

I like Stalock and do think he has a future in the NHL but it's a horrible idea to just "hand" the reins over to a completely unproven goalie for no reason at all.[/QUOTE]

Shipping out 3.8mil and getting picks/prospects back for as you put it "an above avg goalie" is a great reason is it not?? More flexibility.Stalock is our top/best prospect..

agree

Now is the time

How do you know Stalock would suck??? How does anyone know???? He's our top prospect, give him a chance for petes sake......
Hes not even close to the Sharks best prospect. He has a chance to be a decent goalie at the pro level and the Sharks would be braindead to just give him the starting job when you have a solid starting goalie. He will most likely be the back up next year. Whats wrong with that?

Old
04-16-2013, 11:32 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Nothing wrong with a conditioning assignment or two to keep him fresh between starts.

The NHL is not a place to develop Goalies if you are a decent team that expects to contend for the cup. You have to prove that you can play, then prove you can be successful and win.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Nothing wrong with a conditioning assignment or two to keep him fresh between starts.

The NHL is not a place to develop Goalies if you are a decent team that expects to contend for the cup. You have to prove that you can play, then prove you can be successful and win.
A conditioning assignment does nothing to develop you. You don't prove anything playing once a month or once a couple weeks at best. You develop at the NHL regardless of your position. Do you honestly believe that Niemi didn't develop while he was starting with San Jose? Of course he was and that's how goalies develop and take the next step. They start and they start consistently.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:40 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclark110 View Post
Yeah, let's trade one of the best goalies in the league and put the workload of a #1 goaltender on the back of a guy who is completely unproven at the NHL level and sign a "vet" to "back him up"

Niemi is playing out of this world, he's the only reason we are still in the playoff race
"free up 3.8 million in cap"... You do realize that's sooo cheap for a goaltender that plays as well and as often as he does? It's not like he's 35+ years old or anything..

He lets in a softie every once in a while but who doesn't?
He improved his rebound control so much and clears the puck out a lot better this year.

Take Nemi off this team and we just got a lot worse. It sucks to have goaltending issues, and unless the return is ridiculous(super ridiculous) we shouldn't do that.

Who cares if he's our top prospect? Don't trade a top ten goalie just to let him play more...
I think moves like that are best left to nhl13 bagm mode

Let him back up 15-20 starts, see how it goes and make sateri woostahs #1

I like stalock a lot too.
Sorry I never played NHL13... You guys ***** that we need some sort of mini-rebuild and not a full blow up.. I am giving you options here.. What is it that makes you think Stalock cant start???? Based on what exactly?? We as Sharks fans pound our chest and claim we have great goaltending in our pipeline, yet you say Stalock would suck and why would I trade Niemi....BECAUSE WE HAVE DEPTH at the goalie position..Nemo is expendable..

Old
04-17-2013, 12:31 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Several starting goalies in the NHL had to jump at an opportunity (be it the #1 struggling, injury, whatever) to take over the net, that's really the way it should be.
Good point, I agree. I am not comfortable just handing the reigns over to unproven goaltenders.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Sorry I never played NHL13... You guys ***** that we need some sort of mini-rebuild and not a full blow up.. I am giving you options here.. What is it that makes you think Stalock cant start???? Based on what exactly?? We as Sharks fans pound our chest and claim we have great goaltending in our pipeline, yet you say Stalock would suck and why would I trade Niemi....BECAUSE WE HAVE DEPTH at the goalie position..Nemo is expendable..
Not right now he isn't.