HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #39 - "Roy-ed Rage" - Canucks vs. Coyotes - 7:00 p.m, TSN

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
CpatainCanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I can't think of much more to say other than that I disagree completely. Kesler brings elements of grit, two-way ability and firepower that no one else on the team can bring. Another big factor is going to be his ability in the face off circle, an area we have been getting slaughtered in.
Kesler has played 7 games this year. He has 5 points, but is a -4 overall, and the canucks record when he is playing is 2-3-2. It's unfair to be too hard on him as he was just coming off a serious injury when he returned, but he didn't really help the canucks much when he was in the lineup.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
polarbearcub

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Kesler has played 7 games this year. He has 5 points, but is a -4 overall, and the canucks record when he is playing is 2-3-2. It's unfair to be too hard on him as he was just coming off a serious injury when he returned, but he didn't really help the canucks much when he was in the lineup.
I think kesler not being effective in those games had to do with his broken foot. I was at the game vs Dallas when he came back and he was FLYING. Made the pp immediately more dangerous,was hitting everything, then his play tailed off because he broke his foot. Everyone was wondering what was wrong with him and just thought it was the old `coming off the injury slump``

Old
04-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Sestito

Roll the Top 3 lines with the same ice time, until one gets hot or one gets cold etc.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Old
04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Broken foot.

Old
polarbearcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Sestito

Roll the Top 3 lines with the same ice time, until one gets hot or one gets cold etc.
That`s the amazing thing about this new lineup. We can roll 3 scoring lines. In the playoffs this could be huge, especially if we get up by a few goals, we can rest the sedins.

Won`t have to just rely on the sedins to be going, if one line isn`t going there`s a good chance one of the or both other lines will be going. Visa Versa.

Also the fact that we have a ppg centre s as our third line centre and two 20 goal scoring 40-50 point guys on our third line is amazing.

Old
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I disagree that he's overrated. I don't think he's a 40 goal scorer despite the fact that he hit it once. But he's a guy who can score 30 goals when healthy and can compete for the Selke. There's maybe three or four guys in the league who bring that complete package. Kesler is a pretty unique player, IMO. His biggest challenge is staying healthy but when healthy he brings a lot to this team. Top penalty killers who are a key piece of the powerplay are not that common.
Kesler was more valuable to the team when he played like a checking centre...he could prevent the other team's top line from scoring while usually outscoring them at the same time. He hasn't played that way since his 40 goal season two years ago.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Amused To Death

Let's make this paper tiger breathe

Old
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Kesler was more valuable to the team when he played like a checking centre...he could prevent the other team's top line from scoring while usually outscoring them at the same time. He hasn't played that way since his 40 goal season two years ago.
That's the role he was asked to play. I don't think it's any coincidence that our powerplay is down near the bottom and our PK is very avreage with Kesler out. We'll see how valuable he is when he's healthy and the powerplay and PK starts to improve. He's the guy who makes our team go, IMO.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Ozone
H.M.S. Benning

vCash: 200
Attachment 62887

Best Actor catagory winner: Mike Smith

Last edited by Ozone: 06-25-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old
04-08-2013, 03:07 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
That's the role he was asked to play. I don't think it's any coincidence that our powerplay is down near the bottom and our PK is very avreage with Kesler out. We'll see how valuable he is when he's healthy and the powerplay and PK starts to improve. He's the guy who makes our team go, IMO.
If the canucks are healthy entering the playoffs and can run 3 scoring lines, I hope Kesler's line is the "checking" line. I really think Kesler would be much more effective as a checking two-way centre than the primarily offensive role he has recently been deployed in.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:16 PM
vanwest

Quote:
If the canucks are healthy entering the playoffs and can run 3 scoring lines, I hope Kesler's line is the "checking" line. I really think Kesler would be much more effective as a checking two-way centre than the primarily offensive role he has recently been deployed in.
I agree with you on that. He's an elite checker and can neutralize the top guy on the other team.

Last edited by vanwest: 04-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Wisp

Kesler in game shape is a two way monster. You are intellectually deficient if you don't want that in your line up.

Crazy.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Kesler with a broken leg, hip, hands and face is still better then ebbett.
Ebbet is fine for a $500K replacement. Kesler is obviously better and that is why he makes 10 times as much as Ebbet. Ebbet was as good as Manny was post injury while making 5 times less. Ebbet has done his job, do not understand why he is in a pk role though. Lack of options i guess. I would even suggest he could play on the 4th line in the playoffs w/Lapierre to make a descent defensive zone start line. Though Sestito and even Ballard provide other options. Ballard needs some games soon to be an option on defense or we are going with a Alberts, Barker option.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivier View Post
Is anyone else not excited to see Kesler back? I know.. it's irrational. But, until the guy learns to either a) pass the puck or b) hit the net consistently. I have a tough time supporting him.

Every time his wrist shot from the right side flies of the glass puts my television in jeopardy because I have the need to hit something.

Not happy.
I agree.

I'm so upset that this 40 goal scorer with a Selke Trophy who is 27 years old and one of the fastest skaters, reliable faceoff guys, best special teams player, who faces tough matchups and has never played with a truly great winger is back.

Keep him out of the lineup.

I have a tough time supporting a player like that. More Jordan Schroeder so I can put my unrealistic expectations upon him.

Not happy.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
KESLER!

I just saw this. Fantastic! Now excuse me while I encourage prayer to every known God available he isn't injured on his first shift.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
WestleySnipez
Christmas came early

Quote:
Kesler is one of the best, if not THE best, checking centres in the league, and while I don't think he'll have another 40 goal season, he was playing injured most of last season from wounds he suffered in the 2011 Run. That's why he was out so long at what would have been the start of the season (didn't help he broke his foot almost right away).

Next year I expect him to bounce back and have a 20, possibly 30, goal season and put up 50-60 points. He's capable of 70, he's done that twice and definitely could do it again, especially if he's playing with Roy next season.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
LeftCoast

If Kesler is healthy, his presence in the lineup has a trickle down effect that makes the team better in almost every aspect of the game.

With his combination of speed, skill and strength, he's a difficult match up for most 2nd pairing defenders. So who do you line match against; the Sedins or the Kesler line? Either way, one of these lines is going to see favourable matchups at some point in the game.

He's a horse in the face-off circle. Any team plays better when they start with the puck, but it is even more critical for defensive zone face-offs in close games. Having Kesler and Lapierre is a tremendous benefit. Further, down by a goal, late in the 3rd period, we have the option of having Kesler and Henrik on the ice for a crucial draw or set play. Kesler is the only centre who takes face-offs in all three zones at any point in the game.

He is the best net front presence for our first PP unit. Borrows, Kassian, Booth, Higgins have all been tried, but Kesler is far and away the best.

Him and Burrows are our best PKers. While we don't lack for capable PKers (the Sedins are actually pretty good on the PK, but our current philosophy is to use them more in offensive situation), Centres are always key, and Kesler's return likely means we see less of Ebbett killing penalties.

Finally, Kesler is also very good defensively. It makes things easier for our D, knowing that the C is going to back check hard, can neutralize the opponent's top forward threat and can reliably move the puck out of the zone.

Edit: Oh yeah, and along with the addition of Roy, maybe AV will take the shackles off the offense again.

Last edited by LeftCoast: 04-08-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZONE View Post
Attachment 62887

Best Actor catagory winner: Mike Smith
Mike Smith was asked about the hit today and said he thought it was dirty but now isn't the time or place to talk about it. Apparently he has a lot to say when the season is over.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:56 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Yeah but when players return from injury and are hurt in the first game back, is it smart to judge them on that teeny, tiny sample size?

Old
04-08-2013, 04:04 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Mike Smith was asked about the hit today and said he thought it was dirty but now isn't the time or place to talk about it. Apparently he has a lot to say when the season is over.
Well, he will have plenty of time to reflect on it when they don't make the playoffs. **** Mike Smith

Old
04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

Quote:
lol.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Wonder what he has to say about punching Sedin?

For Mike Smith:

Old
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
woooooo kesssss

Old
04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
xtr3m

Richard Sherman has been all over the stadium and will be at the game today. Can't wait for all the footage.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I hope they limit Kesler's minutes some...Knocking on so much wood they can keep him healthy...

Closed Thread