HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Lightning send 4 to Hershey

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Sotnos

vCash: 500
Lightning send 4 to Hershey

I don't think this has been posted yet, sorry for any duplication.

As you probably know, the Lightning have an arrangement to send 6 players to Hershey. Four guys got reassigned there yesterday:

Evgeny Artukhin (RW)
Ryan Craig (C)
Jean-Francois Soucy (C)
Gerard Dicaire (D)

Press Release

It was mentioned in one of our local papers today that there is no obligation for Hershey to keep these guys, they need to try out and make the team. It was also mentioned that the only guy of these four that Hershey was specifically interested in is Artukhin.

I'm wondering if any of you guys know what Hershey's needs are in terms of position. All these guys were good in camp, Dicaire was great in the preseason games, you might like him if you need D.

Was also wondering if there's any chance that you guys might need a new backup G in Hershey? One of our goalies, Brian Eklund, played very well in camp and played all of last year at our ECHL affiliate, he should be ready to step up to the AHL if he's given the chance.

Thanks.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
I don't think this has been posted yet, sorry for any duplication.

As you probably know, the Lightning have an arrangement to send 6 players to Hershey. Four guys got reassigned there yesterday:

Evgeny Artukhin (RW)
Ryan Craig (C)
Jean-Francois Soucy (C)
Gerard Dicaire (D)

Press Release

It was mentioned in one of our local papers today that there is no obligation for Hershey to keep these guys, they need to try out and make the team. It was also mentioned that the only guy of these four that Hershey was specifically interested in is Artukhin.

I'm wondering if any of you guys know what Hershey's needs are in terms of position. All these guys were good in camp, Dicaire was great in the preseason games, you might like him if you need D.

Was also wondering if there's any chance that you guys might need a new backup G in Hershey? One of our goalies, Brian Eklund, played very well in camp and played all of last year at our ECHL affiliate, he should be ready to step up to the AHL if he's given the chance.

Thanks.
I doubt the Avs have room for a goaltender in Hershey. It's going to be Budaj as #1 and most likely Lawson as #2 (I figure the Avs signed Lawson for this reason explicitly; so, he's going to fit in as the #2 unless he's just so horrible they can't feasibly let him do it).

Defense is looking to be pretty deep for the Bears as well. They have Busenburg (assigned from Tampa's camp), Viitanen, Saviels, Clark, Finger, and Mark Jerrant. There will also be at least one of Slovak or Liles sent to Hershey as well. And there's also the McAllister/DJ Smith questions that need answering.

At forward is Travis Brigley, Krestanovich, Moore, Brule, Kuleshov, Bruce Richardson, Voltera, Stephens, and newly acquired Gavin Morgan. I expect both Svatos and McCormick to end up in Hershey too. That leaves Larsen, Willsie, Aubin, and Cummins shooting for the last two forward spots.

The waiver draft might move a couple of these guys out of the system, but Hershey is fairly full this year. Dicaire is a possible depending on which players get cut by the Avs because Jerrant and Saviels both saw ECHL action last year. If Cummins doesn't earn a spot, then he's not going to be under contract and it's anyone's guess whether he would accept playing in Hershey. Kuleshov is horrible; I could see the Bears cutting him or sending him to the ECHL. I believe Voltera has played in lesser leagues than the AHL as well. Don't know for sure, but I think Tampa could have some problems getting their players ice time in Hershey.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:59 AM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I doubt the Avs have room for a goaltender in Hershey. It's going to be Budaj as #1 and most likely Lawson as #2 (I figure the Avs signed Lawson for this reason explicitly; so, he's going to fit in as the #2 unless he's just so horrible they can't feasibly let him do it).
Eklund I think is better than Lawson, at this point....it would give time for Lawson to be a starter in the ECHL....they signed Lawson as a precaution, but that was BEFORE the Lightning entered into an agreement with the Bears.

Quote:
Defense is looking to be pretty deep for the Bears as well. They have Busenburg (assigned from Tampa's camp), Viitanen, Saviels, Clark, Finger, and Mark Jerrant. There will also be at least one of Slovak or Liles sent to Hershey as well. And there's also the McAllister/DJ Smith questions that need answering.
I don't see McAllister going to Hershey, he'd be picked up on waivers if they tried to send him down. Smith, very well could end up in Hershey, but his role would be no diffrent than it would be on the Av's....mostly a lower Dman or 4th liner. Decaire should be given a decent shot at the 3-5 spot, because if he shows half of what he did in Tampa, he won't be there for long, and then Hershey can have one of the favs back in either Trepanier or Rumble....

Quote:
At forward is Travis Brigley, Krestanovich, Moore, Brule, Kuleshov, Bruce Richardson, Voltera, Stephens, and newly acquired Gavin Morgan. I expect both Svatos and McCormick to end up in Hershey too. That leaves Larsen, Willsie, Aubin, and Cummins shooting for the last two forward spots.
I just don't see Aubin sticking with the Avalanche this year....too many guys fghting for that spot....Artukhin and Soucy are are close to the level of the AV's top prospects, so I don't think they'd get turned away....Craig is an unknown as of now....

Quote:
The waiver draft might move a couple of these guys out of the system, but Hershey is fairly full this year. Dicaire is a possible depending on which players get cut by the Avs because Jerrant and Saviels both saw ECHL action last year. If Cummins doesn't earn a spot, then he's not going to be under contract and it's anyone's guess whether he would accept playing in Hershey. Kuleshov is horrible; I could see the Bears cutting him or sending him to the ECHL. I believe Voltera has played in lesser leagues than the AHL as well. Don't know for sure, but I think Tampa could have some problems getting their players ice time in Hershey.
Kuleshov could fall off the planet and no one would miss him....Voltera, he'd be kept in Hershey only as a fighter, as I don't think he offers much else....Cummins has already said he'd retire if he didn't make the AV's....

Old
09-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy33
Eklund I think is better than Lawson, at this point....it would give time for Lawson to be a starter in the ECHL....they signed Lawson as a precaution, but that was BEFORE the Lightning entered into an agreement with the Bears.
I understand that, but the Avs did sign Lawson themselves. I'd imagine he'd get preferrential treatment in this case, as long as he's deserving of it. I have no idea if Eklund is better than Lawson and I don't doubt that to be the truth either. But, being better than another player doesn't always translate into getting the deserved spot, especially in a dual affiliation kind of situation. Just may be that Lawson isn't ready for the big step up from UHL hockey to AHL hockey.

Quote:
I don't see McAllister going to Hershey, he'd be picked up on waivers if they tried to send him down. Smith, very well could end up in Hershey, but his role would be no diffrent than it would be on the Av's....mostly a lower Dman or 4th liner. Decaire should be given a decent shot at the 3-5 spot, because if he shows half of what he did in Tampa, he won't be there for long, and then Hershey can have one of the favs back in either Trepanier or Rumble....
I agree; I think McAllister would be taken on waivers as well. Smith is an AHL talent and I agree on that as well. Basically, I think the Bears will have at least Viitanen, Clark, and one of Liles/Slovak as the top 3. Dicaire could easily slip in as the last guy in the top four or Fixter could stick with players he's more familiar with. I could see Finger, Saviels, and Jerrant going to the ECHL, but I expect Jerrant to probably stick with the Bears. Everything is speculative at the moment; it really depends on Fixter and his preferences.

Quote:
I just don't see Aubin sticking with the Avalanche this year....too many guys fghting for that spot....Artukhin and Soucy are close to the level of the AV's top prospects, so I don't think they'd get turned away....Craig is an unknown as of now....
Aubin wasn't a favorite to stick last year, but somehow he did (don't ask me why either). I think Larsen and Willsie are more on the outs with the organization based on the way they've been handled the past couple of seasons. I haven't heard either of them doing anything worthy of distinction during the preseason either. I'd say those two are the more likely cuts at this time. My opinion of course. As for Artukhin and Soucy, again, I don't think it's as much a question of their comparative talent level as much as I think the dual affiliation means the Bolts players take more of a backseat. I know how bad it got at times in Springfield and I honestly have no idea whether Fixter would be any better for the Bolts players in that respect.

Quote:
Kuleshov could fall off the planet and no one would miss him....Voltera, he'd be kept in Hershey only as a fighter, as I don't think he offers much else....Cummins has already said he'd retire if he didn't make the AV's....
Where did Cummins say that? Not saying he didn't, but I don't recall anything like that off the top of my head. Agreed on Voltera as well.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Why don't the cheap-ass lightning get their own farm team ??

Scouting the NHL Draft
www.thehockeyprospector.com
Old
09-24-2003, 01:41 PM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Where did Cummins say that? Not saying he didn't, but I don't recall anything like that off the top of my head. Agreed on Voltera as well.
I see and understand your point about player priority, I just hope they get a fair chance to show their ability.

I saw the story about Cummins on a fight site, i'll see if I can find the article.

Sorry for the misinformation, it was actually a quote from a fight fan:

Cummins vs Voltera

Old
09-24-2003, 01:43 PM
PatrickRoy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Why don't the cheap-ass lightning get their own farm team ??
Feaster sees the light

He waited til the last second, putting all his eggs in one basket with Rochester, while others like Utah were snapped up by other teams....

Old
09-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Yayo

Get your scrubs outta here!!

Hehe.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Yayo

Quote:
It was mentioned in one of our local papers today that there is no obligation for Hershey to keep these guys, they need to try out and make the team.
Sweet...kick them out!! :p

Old
09-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
I see and understand your point about player priority, I just hope they get a fair chance to show their ability.

I saw the story about Cummins on a fight site, i'll see if I can find the article.

Sorry for the misinformation, it was actually a quote from a fight fan:

Cummins vs Voltera
I don't like it for the Bolts either. But, this is what happens when a team doesn't have its own AHL team. I'm sure it has helped to plague the Bolts prospects the past couple of seasons as well. Last full minor league affiliation was with Detroit in the IHL correct? The Bolts need to get something worked out.

As for Cummins, no worries. I didn't take it as false information or misinformation; Cummins may very well have said it. Just curious if it was an article I missed or something.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:09 PM
PatrickRoy33

The Detroit Vipers were their last full-time affiliate....in the other article I posted, it explains Tamps GM's shouldering the full blame for the Bolts not having an affiliate.

I have my fingers crossed that somehow, both McAllister and Cummins make the team....I think they can do without Aubin, and one of either Larsen or Wilsie....

Closed Thread