HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 11:54 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Among the many pressing matters for the Wolves is replacing the entire coaching staff. Head coach Scott Arniel and assistants Mike Foligno and Nolan Baumgartner are under contract with the Canucks.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Wonder how long they are signed for.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:55 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I don't even quite know what Foligno was in charge of the whole time!

Old
04-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Can we give them to Chicago for free?!

Old
04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

This is like getting no presents on Christmas day, getting kicked in the knee on your birthday AND finding out the Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny aren't real.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post

This is like getting no presents on Christmas day, getting kicked in the knee on your birthday AND finding out the Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny aren't real.
Look on the bright side....could be worse.

Like, AV and the rest of the coaching staff getting fired and replaced with them.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:34 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-nhl-affiliate

Apparently the Wolves want more control over their next NHL affliate. Basically throwing Canucks under the bus for the Wolves missing the post season 2x over the last 3 years (Canucks have only had a 2 year deal with the Wolves).

SMH.

Quote:
"They're goal is to develop players into NHL players. Our goal is to win," said Mr. Gordon, pointing to issues ranging from playing time to who foots the bill for league fines for on-ice player misconduct.
(Typo is verbatim copy+paste)

Quote:
"We don't define ourselves by our affiliate. We've never taken the colors of an NHL partner and we don't put their patch on our sleeve," said Mr. Gordon.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
racerjoe

Quote:

Apparently the Wolves want more control over their next NHL affliate. Basically throwing Canucks under the bus for the Wolves missing the post season 2x over the last 3 years (Canucks have only had a 2 year deal with the Wolves).

SMH.

What he says is fair enough, but I think he should realize if you do partner with a NHL team, their goal is to help their players. It will be different then your goal.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
04-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Tiranis

I take it there was some pressure from the Wolves on Arniel as to who to play? I realize Canucks are signing his pay-check but Wolves management is who he has to do deal with every day so if they're saying something different perhaps he's not fully to blame for this mess? We'll see, I guess. The overplaying of Haydar as well as him being named captain certainly seems like something Wolves would push for more so than the coach.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:53 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

SMH.

But they made the playoffs last year. It's the Canucks fault they didn't 3 seasons ago...Pound sand Mr Gordon.

Most of our prospects hardly played, and the ones that did...looking at you Friesen were horrendous.

Haydar still got his 2007Ovechkin like shifts of 2+ minutes.

I'm so glad to be done with these clowns. Nothing stopped them from signing better AHL talent.

Goofs.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:29 PM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I take it there was some pressure from the Wolves on Arniel as to who to play? I realize Canucks are signing his pay-check but Wolves management is who he has to do deal with every day so if they're saying something different perhaps he's not fully to blame for this mess? We'll see, I guess. The overplaying of Haydar as well as him being named captain certainly seems like something Wolves would push for more so than the coach.
Even though the Canucks hired Arniel and paid his salary, I would bet that Arniel's direct boss was the Wolve's GM, not Gillis or anyone in the Canucks organization. That makes Arniel's situation quite tricky in retrospect, as he had to balance the conflicting objectives of the Wolves (win first, develop prospects second) with the Canucks (develop prospects first, win second). I don't remember people complaining about Arniel's lineup selection when he was coaching the Moose so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Hammer79

Quote:

SMH.

They sound bitter. Maybe they would be singing a different tune if the Canucks hadn't bought the Rivermen. I'm sure their philosophy is going to go over well with most NHL teams.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradervik View Post
Even though the Canucks hired Arniel and paid his salary, I would bet that Arniel's direct boss was the Wolve's GM, not Gillis or anyone in the Canucks organization. That makes Arniel's situation quite tricky in retrospect, as he had to balance the conflicting objectives of the Wolves (win first, develop prospects second) with the Canucks (develop prospects first, win second). I don't remember people complaining about Arniel's lineup selection when he was coaching the Moose so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah I had a couple beefs with Arneil with the Moose, but never as many as I did with him coaching the Wolves this year.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:58 PM
NuxFan09

I saw that article too. I don't get what the guy is complaining about in regards to the Canucks wanting the Wolves to develop their prospects. Well, duh! That's the job of an AHL affiliate.

The Wolves seemingly need to be reminded that they're a mere AHL organization. If they do not wish to adhere to the wishes of their parent NHL team, then they should put in their bid for an NHL team. Until then, **** and do your job as an NHL team's affiliate.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Buffalo In A Carwash

Gordon sounds like a *****

Old
04-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I saw that article too. I don't get what the guy is complaining about in regards to the Canucks wanting the Wolves to develop their prospects. Well, duh! That's the job of an AHL affiliate.

The Wolves seemingly need to be reminded that they're a mere AHL organization. If they do not wish to adhere to the wishes of their parent NHL team, then they should put in their bid for an NHL team. Until then, **** and do your job as an NHL team's affiliate.
They can also choose not to affiliate with an NHL team and do a better job themselves if they wish to do so. Of course they could never afford to pay that much in salary expenses and would be stuck with significantly worse team. It's not like their GM brought in all these stars that our prospects were dragging down. If anything, the guys they signed and traded for were the ones dragging the team down (other than Climie and at times Sterling).

Old
04-22-2013, 04:17 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
They can also choose not to affiliate with an NHL team and do a better job themselves if they wish to do so. Of course they could never afford to pay that much in salary expenses and would be stuck with significantly worse team. It's not like their GM brought in all these stars that our prospects were dragging down. If anything, the guys they signed and traded for were the ones dragging the team down (other than Climie and at times Sterling).
I thought Climie was an MG signing? Or was that just last year?

Old
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I thought Climie was an MG signing? Or was that just last year?
Last year. This year he got signed by the Wolves. But you have a point there — we found him for them.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I don't even quite know what Foligno was in charge of the whole time!
I believe his official title was Minister of Silly Walks.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Wow. That article is sure to add fuel to the fire with respect to Chicago looking after its own interests first and putting its affiliate second.

Anyway - good riddance to that attitude. I really like the fact that we're taking a top-down approach to developing our prospects. If some of the politicking that is being mentioned in the press is indicative of what occurred over the last year or so, it would not surprise me - although it would still be irksome - to see the Canucks give the current coaching staff on the farm another year.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I love Barney.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:47 PM
tedgruber

Quote:
Last year. This year he got signed by the Wolves. But you have a point there we found him for them.
Incorrect. Climie originally was going to sign with the Wolves before Vancouver offered him a deal.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgruber View Post
Incorrect. Climie originally was going to sign with the Wolves before Vancouver offered him a deal.
We'll miss ya Ted, but glad to be out of that **** show.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
thefeebster

Although I defended the Wolves on a few occasions (still don't think they are as vindictive as some portray), for them say this stuff, i think they come off as bitter and this is a disgraceful attitude for an affiliate. Who would want to work with them after coming out this way? Someone put a muzzle on this owner.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
tedgruber

Quote:
Although I defended the Wolves on a few occasions (still don't think they are as vindictive as some portray), for them say this stuff, i think they come off as bitter and this is a disgraceful attitude for an affiliate. Who would want to work with them after coming out this way? Someone put a muzzle on this owner.
Don Levin is the owner, Mike Gordon is the president of business operations.

Closed Thread