HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part IX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2013, 02:41 PM
  #351
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
It's disappointing to hear that about Friesen.

I will also add, however, that while Mallet didn't put up much of anything on the board, when I did see him play before lockout's end he did at least create chances for himself - and his linemates - that he was very unlucky to not convert on. Still think he should have gotten a shot at 4C over whoever they were playing there during the stretch drive.

But thanks a lot orcatown - terrific stuff as always.

vanuck is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
  #352
Karter
Registered User
 
Karter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me the most likely scenario of what happens next in terms of our farm team?

Or do we just not know at all?

Karter is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
  #353
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burger King bathroom
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Can someone explain to me the most likely scenario of what happens next in terms of our farm team?

Or do we just not know at all?
One of the following.

1. Stay in Peoria permanently.
2. Stay in Peoria for this upcoming season, move team elsewhere the following season.
3. Move team elsewhere to a permanent location prior to next season.

There is no likely scenario that we know of right now.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
  #354
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
One of the following.

1. Stay in Peoria permanently.
2. Stay in Peoria for this upcoming season, move team elsewhere the following season.
3. Move team elsewhere to a permanent location prior to next season.

There is no likely scenario that we know of right now.
So basically nothing likely; but moving twice highly unlikely.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
  #355
Karter
Registered User
 
Karter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
One of the following.

1. Stay in Peoria permanently.
2. Stay in Peoria for this upcoming season, move team elsewhere the following season.
3. Move team elsewhere to a permanent location prior to next season.

There is no likely scenario that we know of right now.
Interesting.

I'm guessing they hold off on moving it if Vancouver goes deep into the playoffs.

Karter is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:02 AM
  #356
mrbitterguy
Registered User
 
mrbitterguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: san francisco
Country: Canada
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
One of the following.

1. Stay in Peoria permanently.
2. Stay in Peoria for this upcoming season, move team elsewhere the following season.
3. Move team elsewhere to a permanent location prior to next season.

There is no likely scenario that we know of right now.
after reading the province article pitching rogers arena as a possible home for the team i think this gillis quote makes option 1 the least likely one.

Quote:
Peoria would like to have the team remain there, but there are a lot of moving parts and thereís a reason the team isnít there any longer ($400,000 US deficit this season).
the vancouver option would be really cool but i wonder if the canucks are community-minded enough to not do it just so they don't mess up the local junior teams. using the same support staff and same building would probably save them money over a different city so it's probably going to be tempting.

mrbitterguy is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:27 AM
  #357
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,916
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
the vancouver option would be really cool but i wonder if the canucks are community-minded enough to not do it just so they don't mess up the local junior teams. using the same support staff and same building would probably save them money over a different city so it's probably going to be tempting.
it would only be for a short time i assume

Verviticus is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
  #358
Karter
Registered User
 
Karter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Wouldn't the Giants have a problem with that?

Karter is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:24 PM
  #359
spd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
I'm in Peoria and I'm hoping Vancouver keeps the team in Peoria for a season or two. That would allow a local group to get another team, likely ECHL, in here. I can see it working for Vancouver because we have the facilities, staff, fan base, sponsors, etc. already in place. Getting prospects back and forth to Vancouver may be a hassle, but there are daily flights to a few major airline hubs out of our airport. Some of the fans waited over 2 hours after the final game to get autographs, from a team that only had 8 players on the roster from opening night.

The Rivermen lost money when they were owned by the Blues. A lot of minor league teams do. All the Blues did was raise ticket prices and cut back on promotions at a time when the local economy was struggling. I am hoping the Blues get what they deserve by affiliating with the Wolves. I'm familiar with how the Wolves operate.

spd is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:49 PM
  #360
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd View Post
I'm in Peoria and I'm hoping Vancouver keeps the team in Peoria for a season or two.
Hey spd, welcome! If the team does indeed remain in Peoria, I can guarantee you that anything you post about the players, the coaching staff, etc. will be very much appreciated here.

lindgren is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:40 PM
  #361
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd View Post
I'm in Peoria and I'm hoping Vancouver keeps the team in Peoria for a season or two. That would allow a local group to get another team, likely ECHL, in here. I can see it working for Vancouver because we have the facilities, staff, fan base, sponsors, etc. already in place. Getting prospects back and forth to Vancouver may be a hassle, but there are daily flights to a few major airline hubs out of our airport. Some of the fans waited over 2 hours after the final game to get autographs, from a team that only had 8 players on the roster from opening night.

The Rivermen lost money when they were owned by the Blues. A lot of minor league teams do. All the Blues did was raise ticket prices and cut back on promotions at a time when the local economy was struggling. I am hoping the Blues get what they deserve by affiliating with the Wolves. I'm familiar with how the Wolves operate.
Thanks for the input. How is the fanbase in Peoria? Will the Canucks' owning the franchise change anything for them in terms of profitability?

Also, what have you heard about the way the Wolves operate? More and more fans here are turning against them in light of what their president just said...

And btw welcome to HFCanucks!

vanuck is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
  #362
spd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Thanks for the input. How is the fanbase in Peoria? Will the Canucks' owning the franchise change anything for them in terms of profitability?

Also, what have you heard about the way the Wolves operate? More and more fans here are turning against them in light of what their president just said...

And btw welcome to HFCanucks!
I'm not sure about number of season ticket holders, but we seem to have a solid fan base. There has been a professional team here for over 30 years. I'm not sure if the Canucks being there would affect profitability. Having a winning team would help. The Blues kept raising ticket prices, reduced promotions, and didn't have many good teams here. That's not a good combination. If the Canucks stay here next year, I'm hoping for a good fan turnout since that will help bring another franchise here. It will probably be ECHL level, but the area supported that level quite well before.

As far as the Wolves go, I think they only look out for themselves. They seem to be successful at it. I don't think it's the best way to develop prospects. They are going to bring in their own guys like Sterling and Haydar. If those types of players give them the best chance to win, then those guys will get the bulk of the playing time. Maybe that will work out for the Blues. They didn't seem to have much success running the team in Peoria.

spd is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
  #363
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd View Post
I'm not sure about number of season ticket holders, but we seem to have a solid fan base. There has been a professional team here for over 30 years. I'm not sure if the Canucks being there would affect profitability. Having a winning team would help. The Blues kept raising ticket prices, reduced promotions, and didn't have many good teams here. That's not a good combination. If the Canucks stay here next year, I'm hoping for a good fan turnout since that will help bring another franchise here. It will probably be ECHL level, but the area supported that level quite well before.

As far as the Wolves go, I think they only look out for themselves. They seem to be successful at it. I don't think it's the best way to develop prospects. They are going to bring in their own guys like Sterling and Haydar. If those types of players give them the best chance to win, then those guys will get the bulk of the playing time. Maybe that will work out for the Blues. They didn't seem to have much success running the team in Peoria.
Thanks for this, I appreciate it. But we just might see them stay at least a year in Peoria, and who knows if the AHL will even be ready to reform the divisions by then.


Last edited by vanuck: 04-29-2013 at 08:00 PM.
vanuck is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:14 AM
  #364
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
According to Dave Eminian of the PJ Star, Canucks need to make a decision by May 13 as to where their farm team will play next season:
http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1213...-over-Rivermen

So not a whole lot of time left to evaluate their options.

vanuck is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
  #365
SiCKNESS
Registered User
 
SiCKNESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,348
vCash: 500
Eddie Lack
Joe Cannata
Nicklas Jensen
Alexandre Grenier
Anton Rodin
Darren Archibald
Ludwig Blomstrand
Bill Sweatt
Jordan Schroeder
Brendan Gaunce(?)
Alexandre Mallet
Kellan Lain
Henrik Tommernes
Adam Polasek
Jeremy Price
Alex Friesen

Should all be regulars on the AHL next year. Thankfully we have our own farm team this upcoming year, no more Haydar, Sterling, Davies Gordon, Matheson etc playing over or spects anymore.

SiCKNESS is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:34 PM
  #366
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Eddie Lack
Joe Cannata
Nicklas Jensen
Alexandre Grenier
Anton Rodin
Darren Archibald
Ludwig Blomstrand
Bill Sweatt
Jordan Schroeder
Brendan Gaunce(?)
Alexandre Mallet
Kellan Lain
Henrik Tommernes
Adam Polasek
Jeremy Price
Alex Friesen

Should all be regulars on the AHL next year. Thankfully we have our own farm team this upcoming year, no more Haydar, Sterling, Davies Gordon, Matheson etc playing over or spects anymore.
I think it'll be important to have a few guys like Ebbett on the team. We're not the Detroit Red Wings. We don't have quite a strong enough crop of prospects that they can compose an entire AHL team by themselves, or a strong AHL team at least.

I think the center position is where the Canucks are going to need some outside help. Assuming Schroeder is in the NHL permanently next year, who do the Canucks have that is top 6 center caliber at the AHL level? Lain? Fresen? Mallet? No way. We all love to complain about Ebbett but I think he's the perfect guy to keep around as a top line center in the AHL. He's proven to produce at that level.

NuxFan09 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 06:01 PM
  #367
thedavid
Registered User
 
thedavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 176
vCash: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Eddie Lack
Joe Cannata
Nicklas Jensen
Alexandre Grenier
Anton Rodin
Darren Archibald
Ludwig Blomstrand
Bill Sweatt
Jordan Schroeder
Brendan Gaunce(?)
Alexandre Mallet
Kellan Lain
Henrik Tommernes
Adam Polasek
Jeremy Price
Alex Friesen

Should all be regulars on the AHL next year. Thankfully we have our own farm team this upcoming year, no more Haydar, Sterling, Davies Gordon, Matheson etc playing over or spects anymore.
Do we really want Sweatt back next year though? I get that we'll need some more experienced guys around considering all the new blood coming in, but do we want him to be one of those guys?

Also wasn't Rodin planning on going back to Europe next year?

thedavid is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  #368
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavid View Post
Do we really want Sweatt back next year though? I get that we'll need some more experienced guys around considering all the new blood coming in, but do we want him to be one of those guys?

Also wasn't Rodin planning on going back to Europe next year?
Regardless of what Rodin wants to do, I think the Canucks will let them go.

NuxFan09 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
  #369
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Regardless of what Rodin wants to do, I think the Canucks will let them go.
Let him go, I mean. Can't edit. (Really, mods??)

NuxFan09 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 06:33 PM
  #370
thedavid
Registered User
 
thedavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 176
vCash: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Let him go, I mean. Can't edit. (Really, mods??)
Rodin is so bad he takes up 2 contract spots.

thedavid is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:13 AM
  #371
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
Rodin might get another look next year to prove himself, but it'll probably be his last chance.

vanuck is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:39 AM
  #372
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I think it'll be important to have a few guys like Ebbett on the team. We're not the Detroit Red Wings. We don't have quite a strong enough crop of prospects that they can compose an entire AHL team by themselves, or a strong AHL team at least.

I think the center position is where the Canucks are going to need some outside help. Assuming Schroeder is in the NHL permanently next year, who do the Canucks have that is top 6 center caliber at the AHL level? Lain? Fresen? Mallet? No way. We all love to complain about Ebbett but I think he's the perfect guy to keep around as a top line center in the AHL. He's proven to produce at that level.
Also, to be fair, nobody really runs a whole team of prospects. Grand Rapids had guys like Hoggan, Paetsch, Skinner, Grant, Evans around.

RobertKron is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 06:50 PM
  #373
aparch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
...Thankfully we have our own farm team this upcoming year, no more..Gordon,... playing over or spects anymore.
Pssst. Gordon was a VAN signing this past season.

aparch is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:21 AM
  #374
synobyte
Canucks Cultist
 
synobyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 100 mile house
Country: Canada
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
Thinking of some names for the team
Seattle SeaMen
Seattle Grunge
Vancouver Canadians
Vancouver Otters
Vancouver Millionaires

synobyte is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 02:24 AM
  #375
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burger King bathroom
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by synobyte View Post
Thinking of some names for the team
Seattle SeaMen
Seattle Grunge
Vancouver Canadians
Vancouver Otters
Vancouver Millionaires
Yeah, there's no possible way that team name could be made fun of

Nuckles is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.