HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Can someone decipher shannons tweet for me?

Is he sayiing we will operate a different team other then the riverman? What will happen to the riverman then?

I cant grasp this scenario.
Basically I think he's trying to communicate that the team is definitely moving somewhere.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
spd

I'm not shocked that they aren't going to operate in Peoria. There hasn't been any news around town lately about Vancouver staying in Peoria next season. It seemed like a good temporary situation for Vancouver and Peoria. It seems strange that Vancouver would buy a team and then leave it dormant. They had to know that the Flames wouldn't leave Abbotsford with the sweet deal they have there. With the short notice, staying in Peoria seemed like the way to go, even with the projected losses.

Peoria is still going to have pro hockey next season because a SPHL team will be there. I'm not familiar with the league but it will be a huge step down from the AHL. I guess it's better than not having hockey at all after 30+ seasons.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Matt Climie signs a two year deal with the Chicago Wolves - kind of glad he won't be around for Arniel to overplay the bejeepers out of.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Matt Climie signs a two year deal with the Chicago Wolves - kind of glad he won't be around for Arniel to overplay the bejeepers out of.
Yeah, buns to that!

Old
05-13-2013, 02:10 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

Sorry, haven't followed this too closely, so I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but has Gillis or anyone been asked about the possibility of the team simply playing at Rogers Arena? What would be the obstacles in doing something like that?

Old
05-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...20121586704384
Quote:
Have been told the Canucks have about 30 more days to resolve what they are doing with their AHL affiliation.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
05-13-2013, 02:26 PM
BlueRoyal14

I don't get it. How would the Canucks not have an affiliate? They just bought one...

Old
05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoyal14 View Post
I don't get it. How would the Canucks not have an affiliate? They just bought one...
They did yes

And now they're not returning the team to their previous home (Peroria). So they own a team now officially but haven't found a city to run their team out of

Old
05-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Sorry, haven't followed this too closely, so I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but has Gillis or anyone been asked about the possibility of the team simply playing at Rogers Arena? What would be the obstacles in doing something like that?
They could not get enough people on board. whatever that means, but I think this was answered at the end of the press conference MG did

Old
05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
As an Oilers fan that's been through a year of not having an affiliate, trust me, you don't want it. The biggest problem is that the coach is generally under direction of the NHL affiliate to prioritize on developing their own prospects. The good players will always play, but the projects who need seasoning never get into the lineup and it can really stall their development.
Thanks for chiming in! You're correct in your analysis. Nobody eats the unbuttered side of the bread first. It may look like all players have the same opportunities when affiliates are split, but that's rarely the case.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:52 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
They could not get enough people on board. whatever that means, but I think this was answered at the end of the press conference MG did
According to Matt Sekeres on Team 1040, all of BC is considered Heat territory so the Canucks couldn't operate the new team out of Rogers Arena.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:58 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
According to Matt Sekeres on Team 1040, all of BC is considered Heat territory so the Canucks couldn't operate the new team out of Rogers Arena.
Aah, that's what I was wondering about, that makes sense.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Eytinge

Oilers fan here, I just read about your AHL situation and thought it was weird a pro team in 2013 would skip having a major affiliation even if its just for a year. The Oilers didn't have a main AHL team after the last lockout for a few years and it really screwed up the development of a lot of prospects (Schremp, Pouliot, Dubnyk) since other AHL teams won't play other team's prospects ahead of their own most of the time. Hopefully you get that sorted out since its frustrating to watch another AHL team bench a goalie prospect or put a guy on the 3rd line.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Oilers fan here, I just read about your AHL situation and thought it was weird a pro team in 2013 would skip having a major affiliation even if its just for a year. The Oilers didn't have a main AHL team after the last lockout for a few years and it really screwed up the development of a lot of prospects (Schremp, Pouliot, Dubnyk) since other AHL teams won't play other team's prospects ahead of their own most of the time. Hopefully you get that sorted out since its frustrating to watch another AHL team bench a goalie prospect or put a guy on the 3rd line.
Thanks for the input - I don't get why they won't just eat the reported $1.5M operating loss for a year, unless they still think they can relocate it somewhere else? Really don't want to have to loan our guys to other teams if it can be helped.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:57 PM
SunshineRays

Man the Canucks wheels are falling off.

A dormant AHL team? Caman. They've been a dormant AHL team for the last 2 yrs with Chicago Wolves who play their veteran players more than Nucks prospects. At least in Chi, they would be together.

As some people mentioned, priority is often given to the NHL teams prospects - so Nucks prospects might get the shaft. Also, when all Nucks prospects will be playing different systems. So when they're called up - they'll have to relearn the Nucks system (which they rarely get any time to before they're inserted into lineup). They also won't play on the same team so they won't get to bond together. You don't get to control their development, you don't get to control anything. This is all a big deal, prospects are the key to your teams future.

The Canucks org has turned into somewhat of a farce this last yr. They need to right this sinking ship, asap.

Last edited by SunshineRays: 05-13-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old
05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

It's a terrible, terrible idea not to have our own AHL team.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
SunshineRays

I'm just waiting for the Canucks to trade Luongo for scraps to cap off their abysmal yr. What the heck has happened to this team. I really hope it isn't true.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
There would still be a deal to be made, if they can convince the Heat that it would not draw away support from there team (I doubt people that go to Heat games would decide to drive to Van to watch the Canucks farm team), and they get some of the profits that the Canucks would make by there farm playing at rogers, (within the Heats zone). also have some preseason games between the two clubs in Abbotsford, (would be a cash cow for them)

would suit the Canucks better then outright losing cash, and is a better one year solution than no team at all.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
The Canucks org has turned into somewhat of a farce this last yr. They need to right this sinking ship, asap.
Quote:
I'm just waiting for the Canucks to trade Luongo for scraps to cap off their abysmal yr. What the heck has happened to this team. I really hope it isn't true.
If we take this a separate issue, instead looking at all issues at once, since this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Loungo.

The outcome the Canucks want is to get a farm team of there own, who knows what they have tried to do to get one.

They finally got a chance to get one, however it may take one step back for two steps forward.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

As a Flames fan I would like to say that I agree with the comments from the couple Oiler fans I saw say something. No AHL affiliate sucks, it really makes it much harder to develop your role players.

If the Heat do end up letting the Canucks use a few spots I hope it can work for both teams as obviously we don't want our prospects hurt by this as well.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
If we take this a separate issue, instead looking at all issues at once, since this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Loungo.

The outcome the Canucks want is to get a farm team of there own, who knows what they have tried to do to get one.

They finally got a chance to get one, however it may take one step back for two steps forward.
They are obviously separate issues, but this last yr has been somewhat of a disaster for this organization. What I was saying is this AHL issue would cap off what has been a generally bad year for this for this org.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
They are obviously separate issues, but this last yr has been somewhat of a disaster for this organization. What I was saying is this AHL issue would cap off what has been a generally bad year for this for this org.
Yea I agree with you, I have said myself that they need this issue resolved so they can focus on other things, but a few isolated failures can look a lot worse when lumped together.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:19 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Yea I agree with you, I have said myself that they need this issue resolved so they can focus on other things, but a few isolated failures can look a lot worse when lumped together.
They're not isolated failures as they are all part of the same organization. An org that hasn't produced and got burnt in the 1st round for 2 straight years. Doesn't matter what org it is, you have to review the systems - see what's worked and what hasn't. They all belong under the same umbrella.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Fictional Realism
Reason for Optimism

vCash: 894
Quote:
If true that's ridiculous ... how do you acquire the rights to an entire province by putting a team in Abbotsford ... why would the AHL do that?

Old
05-13-2013, 09:47 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
I wonder if any organisation has ever considered not have a farm club and not farming out the prospects but rather having a year long training camp. The downsides are obvious

* lack of game experience
* waivers/assignments from a league point of view (assigning players to nothing)
* agents going nuts
* no income stream from a farm club to help etc.

But it would have some advantages

* uninterrupted weights/fitness training
* skills training
* skating training
* like have an unlimited roster

A years worth of dedicated skating training could have huge benefits for some players with weak skating. I wonder if teams ever consider it for just a small group of players - there must be some players out there that would be better served by a year of skills development than full time play. Perhaps a hybrid system where they spend time floating between AHL/ECHL teams and development camp (best of both worlds).

I can think of Neiderator in NYI, maybe but that was more about cap hit using bonuses.

Last edited by me2: 05-13-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Closed Thread