HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks next season (MOD: 2013-14 NHL roster)

View Poll Results: What happens to Dan Boyle this offseason?
Bought out! 0 0%
Sharks can't unload him due to cap shrinkage. 4 30.77%
Sharks find a partner, but oops, he's on the NTC list. 1 7.69%
Sharks unload him for an "Error" of a return. 2 15.38%
Sharks unload him to move up in the 3rd round in this year's draft. 1 7.69%
Sharks pull off what professional observers call the "deal of the decade" by this time next season! 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
FeedingFrenzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I think the best free agent we've ever signed is Brad Stuart, whose rights we traded a 3rd round pick for. He was also drafted by San Jose, spent the majority of his career here, and has family here. That's the only reason he even did sign here.

We never get good ufas. Ever. We can only acquire depth players and still overpay them. Viktor Stalberg's brother is a prospect in our org, and Jagr possibly could be had for 4.5-5 million, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and I doubt we get either.
Jagr

Stalberg's chance of coming here are atleast a glimmer (brother on Sharks). How long before his brother is NHL ready?? The SSS 3rd line..Stalberg-Sheppard-Stalberg

As for Danny being moved, dont think it happens unless things go really bad this PO. I will apply the same logic in regards to Havlat.. Freeing up 11.6mil in cap space isnt a bad thing yet there are too many unknowns currently to even try to guess DW 's thinking pro-cess.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:09 AM
MarleauApologist
I no much like LA

Boyle is gone in the offseason

His play has been deteriorating, there are too many defensemen on the roster, DW said he wants a refresh, it was reported that he is available (wasn't it Bruce Garrioch; who also said we were going to trade Clowe, Handzus, and Murray), Burns is not a long-term forward, we didn't trade Coyle, Seto and a 1st for a good pwf.

With the new CBA, I could see him being traded at 1/2 cap hit for next year to a contender like Vancouver. Thornton might be gone but I doubt it, Boyle is more or less guaranteed gone.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Boyle is gone in the offseason

His play has been deteriorating, there are too many defensemen on the roster, DW said he wants a refresh, it was reported that he is available (wasn't it Bruce Garrioch; who also said we were going to trade Clowe, Handzus, and Murray), Burns is not a long-term forward, we didn't trade Coyle, Seto and a 1st for a good pwf.

With the new CBA, I could see him being traded at 1/2 cap hit for next year to a contender like Vancouver. Thornton might be gone but I doubt it, Boyle is more or less guaranteed gone.
Guaranteed?? Unless the Sharks find a replacement for Burns at F1 Boyle goes nowhere. And DW sure as hell isnt trading Boyle to Vancouver let alone another West conf team. Mind you trading Boyle to the Wings could be an option since they are gone next season.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:54 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Guaranteed?? Unless the Sharks find a replacement for Burns at F1 Boyle goes nowhere. And DW sure as hell isnt trading Boyle to Vancouver let alone another West conf team. Mind you trading Boyle to the Wings could be an option since they are gone next season.
Certainly no guarantee's but I expect he's gone, where there is smoke there is fire. Unless Boyle has an amazing playoffs I expect the Sharks will not want to absorb the salary of a clearly declining player while at the same time losing him for no assets next off-season. Burns or otherwise.

I think the Sharks best bet is to get as high a draft pick as they can and draft the best offensive defensemen available/

Old
04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
I think the best free agent we've ever signed is Brad Stuart, whose rights we traded a 3rd round pick for. He was also drafted by San Jose, spent the majority of his career here, and has family here. That's the only reason he even did sign here.

We never get good ufas. Ever. We can only acquire depth players and still overpay them. Viktor Stalberg's brother is a prospect in our org, and Jagr possibly could be had for 4.5-5 million, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and I doubt we get either.
Fairly sure the Sharks traded a 7th for Stuart.

IMO, the best FA signing the Sharks ever made was when they signed Gary Suter. Brad Stuart and Rob Blake "had reasons" for coming here; Stuart having a huge history in San Jose and Rob Blake being a career Pacific Division guy.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:00 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post

IMO, the best FA signing the Sharks ever made was when they signed Gary Suter. Brad Stuart and Rob Blake "had reasons" for coming here; Stuart having a huge history in San Jose and Rob Blake being a career Pacific Division guy.
The truth is there really are not any free agents even worth worrying about this off-season.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post

Technically that's true, but the trade was to allow SJ to negotiate with Stuart before the free agent period started. If Stuart didn't sign with SJ I don't think they had to give up that pick. The Sharks also traded away Andrew Murray's contract in the deal so they would have an NHL contract slot available to sign Stuart.

So basically it was a paperwork trade.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:10 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Technically that's true, but the trade was to allow SJ to negotiate with Stuart before the free agent period started. If Stuart didn't sign with SJ I don't think they had to give up that pick. The Sharks also traded away Andrew Murray's contract in the deal so they would have an NHL contract slot available to sign Stuart.

So basically it was a paperwork trade.
Right?

I brought up the 7th round pick since the Great 88 said that the Sharks had traded a 3rd-round pick.

In any case, the Sharks do have issues attracting free agents. The unfortunate problem is that for the vast majority of free agents, money isn't the issue. Everyone offers the same amount, and the player chooses his destination on personal preferences. On that battle, San Jose is going to lose the majority of the time.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Hatrick Marleau
#Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Certainly no guarantee's but I expect he's gone, where there is smoke there is fire. Unless Boyle has an amazing playoffs I expect the Sharks will not want to absorb the salary of a clearly declining player while at the same time losing him for no assets next off-season. Burns or otherwise.

I think the Sharks best bet is to get as high a draft pick as they can and draft the best offensive defensemen available/
If they could get a pick in the 10-15 area, they might be able to get Josh Morrissey, Ryan Pulock, or Ramsus Ristolainen. Morrissey and Ristolainen are the best offensive dmen in the draft IMO. Pulock is a TWD.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:35 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
If they could get a pick in the 10-15 area, they might be able to get Josh Morrissey, Ryan Pulock, or Ramsus Ristolainen. Morrissey and Ristolainen are the best offensive dmen in the draft IMO. Pulock is a TWD.
I'll take your word on it, I haven't been following the draft this year so far. If so, that's the smartest thing for the Sharks to do. Trade Boyle and get a pick in that range.

Which one of them is the closest to NHL ready?

Old
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
I'll take your word on it, I haven't been following the draft this year so far. If so, that's the smartest thing for the Sharks to do. Trade Boyle and get a pick in that range.

Ristolainen is definitely more NHL-ready. He logs huge minutes in the SM-Liiga.

But 10-15 is not the ranger that I want to be in. Either you go top-8, or you get another pick from 15-25. The 10-15 area only has two players I'm interested in, and in fairness it's a very interesting player: Alexander Wennberg (jack-of-all-trades, but lots of offensive upside as well. Unfortunately, he's practically a Wings pick already) an Hunter Shinkaruk if he falls out of the top-10 (which is plausible, but he'd be a perfect pick)

The 15-35 area has Bo Horvat, Jason Dickinson, Valentin Zykov, Andre Burakovsky, Curtis Lazar, Laurent Dauphin, Morgan Klimchuk, Adam Erne, Nic Petan, etc. Lots of high-upside forwards there. Madison Bowey is the one defenseman I'd be happy with, I've only seen him play a couple times, but I just have this gut instinct that he's going to be a #1 defenseman.

Anyway, with one of our 2nd rounders, I'd strongly advocate taking Pavel Buchnevich if he falls because of the KHL-thing. I've been watching him a lot in the U-18 and I've been extremely impressed. He out-shines Nichushkin at times. I think he's got real #1C upside.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Ristolainen is definitely more NHL-ready. He logs huge minutes in the SM-Liiga.

But 10-15 is not the ranger that I want to be in. Either you go top-8, or you get another pick from 15-25. The 10-15 area only has two players I'm interested in, and in fairness it's a very interesting player: Alexander Wennberg (jack-of-all-trades, but lots of offensive upside as well. Unfortunately, he's practically a Wings pick already) an Hunter Shinkaruk if he falls out of the top-10 (which is plausible, but he'd be a perfect pick)

The 15-35 area has Bo Horvat, Jason Dickinson, Valentin Zykov, Andre Burakovsky, Curtis Lazar, Laurent Dauphin, Morgan Klimchuk, Adam Erne, Nic Petan, etc. Lots of high-upside forwards there. Madison Bowey is the one defenseman I'd be happy with, I've only seen him play a couple times, but I just have this gut instinct that he's going to be a #1 defenseman.

Anyway, with one of our 2nd rounders, I'd strongly advocate taking Pavel Buchnevich if he falls because of the KHL-thing. I've been watching him a lot in the U-18 and I've been extremely impressed. He out-shines Nichushkin at times. I think he's got real #1C upside.
Ok, but the point is the Sharks should target a player (if one exists) that they can realistically get the pick for and trade Boyle (and whatever else they plan to trade) in order to draft a Boyle replacement, because trading for another one or getting a free agent one is highly unlikely.

Even if Burns moves back to defense, i would still look to replace Boyle. Once you've got that player, got all in on forwards.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Hatrick Marleau
#Gutless

Quote:

Ryan Pulock and Ramsus Ristolainen are closest to NHL ready. They have NHL size as Pulock is 6-1 203lbs while Ristolainen is 6-3 211lbs. They are both good offensively and defensively.

The guy I would want is Josh Morrissey. He is a great skater, great on the Powerplay, great vision, isn't afraid to lay the body, and has an accurate shot. The knocks on him is that he can get over aggressive offensively sometimes and can be passive in the defensive zone. He could probably get away with playing in the NHL his first year. He has elite offensive defenseman potential IMO. He is a Drew Doughty, Dan Boyle, and Erik Karlsson type of Dman IMO. He is only 6-0 180lbs right now so he might need to bulk up some more.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Ok, but the point is the Sharks should target a player (if one exists) that they can realistically get the pick for and trade Boyle (and whatever else they plan to trade) in order to draft a Boyle replacement, because trading for another one or getting a free agent one is highly unlikely.

Even if Burns moves back to defense, i would still look to replace Boyle. Once you've got that player, got all in on forwards.
If you want someone to replace Boyle, you're looking at Josh Morrissey. Very risky and kind of undersized, but very talented and an great skater.

As I type this, Valery Nichushkin scores a highlight-reel goal at the U-18's. Man, if he falls out of the top-10, do whatever you can to move up and grab him. He's going to be a superstar.

I just don't want Morrissey in the first round because I see a ton of forwards with good upside to take there.

Last edited by TheJuxtaposer: 04-26-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old
04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Hatrick Marleau
#Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If you want someone to replace Boyle, you're looking at Josh Morrissey. Very risky and kind of undersized, but very talented and an great skater.

As I type this, Valery Nichushkin scores a highlight-reel goal at the U-18's. Man, if he falls out of the top-10, do whatever you can to move up and grab him. He's going to be a superstar.
I don't think DW ever has a Russian on his draft board. Monahan is 1-5 on on DW's board.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:35 PM
rideaucrusher21

What do you guys think Demers gets in his next contract? I say lock him up for at least 4 years at 3mil+. He hasn't been healthy, so that's a risk. But I think he's already a legit top-4 TWD with room to become more. It will be tight with the cap shrinking next year, even more reason to trade Boyle for a 1st.

Also, I like the idea of rewarding homegrown talent.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Didn't want to start a separate thread, so I thought I'd ask here. Could I get some thoughts on Tomas Greiss? Seems the consensus here is Stalock will be the #2 next year and Griess will be allowed to walk.

I've watched him a little bit and have to say I'm quite impressed. Seems very positionally sound and economical, doesn't waste movement or flop around unnecessarily.

Any chance he could be a goaltender that could give you 20-25 solid starts and perhaps even push for the #1 spot? Jets need a goalie who can challenge Pavelec in the worst way.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

I think there's a 99% chance that Greiss is let go. He'd make a decent #1B, I'd always thought. He just gets almost no games here and is suddenly thrown into action and expected to perform. He's been badly mistreated by this organization IMHO and it's a shock to me he's stayed so long. I think Winnipeg would be a great place for him.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Didn't want to start a separate thread, so I thought I'd ask here. Could I get some thoughts on Tomas Greiss? Seems the consensus here is Stalock will be the #2 next year and Griess will be allowed to walk.

I've watched him a little bit and have to say I'm quite impressed. Seems very positionally sound and economical, doesn't waste movement or flop around unnecessarily.

Any chance he could be a goaltender that could give you 20-25 solid starts and perhaps even push for the #1 spot? Jets need a goalie who can challenge Pavelec in the worst way.
He would probably be good for the Jets. Very athletic and good against odd mans. Very aggressive, rebound control is so-so. Good, not great, puckhandler. His technical abilities will likely improve with regular play.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
SJeasy

Another comp for Couture:

Skinner signed a big contract right after his ELC. The second year of the contract was $6mil/year.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Arrch

vCash: 3095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Another comp for Couture:

Skinner signed a big contract right after his ELC. The second year of the contract was $6mil/year.
Skinner, Hall and Eberle all got 5.75-6 for 6/7 years, so I would think Couture will basically get that.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Skinner, Hall and Eberle all got 5.75-6 for 6/7 years, so I would think Couture will basically get that.
Yeah. I only made the point about offersheets because ALL agents will use them if the player is lowballed. They are what keeps GMs from trying to scam the system and stack their teams. And if the player does get lowballed, the offersheet takes it in the overpay direction.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:26 PM
MasterShake

Yeah if Greiss gets 30 games or so next season as a 1B goaltender with another team, I could see him performing well. I'm really glad he's with us for this cup run though.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:58 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 50
Quote:
The truth is there really are not any free agents even worth worrying about this off-season.
There may be some teams buying people out to free cap space. Could we end up with another Gomez situation?

Old
04-26-2013, 05:15 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

It think Greiss is a solid goalie, but will never be a great goalie. He will be a good addition to any team with not a legit No. 1 goalie.

Closed Thread