HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks next season (MOD: 2013-14 NHL roster)

View Poll Results: What happens to Dan Boyle this offseason?
Bought out! 0 0%
Sharks can't unload him due to cap shrinkage. 4 30.77%
Sharks find a partner, but oops, he's on the NTC list. 1 7.69%
Sharks unload him for an "Error" of a return. 2 15.38%
Sharks unload him to move up in the 3rd round in this year's draft. 1 7.69%
Sharks pull off what professional observers call the "deal of the decade" by this time next season! 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 04:32 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Remember, you can't re-invent the wheel.
You can, but there is a pro-cess for it.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
You can, but there is a pro-cess for it.
Don't you guys love how Tmac has a pro-cess for everything.

Last edited by Hatrick Marleau: 04-10-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Which is a fallacy for many coaches. They all go conservative when faced with a lack of offense which just prolongs the issue. The smart ones push a defensive system that creates easy offense (trap and transition with emphasis on transition). DeBoer, Tippett and Trotz are excellent in teaching systems that genuinely create offense out of defense with emphasis on creating odd-man rushes.
They also have the personnel for that. TMac had Clowe, Handzus and Murray to already go along with Pavelski and Sheppard. You can't be an effective counter punch team when you're slow. This team now is more suited to that if need be.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:00 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
They also have the personnel for that. TMac had Clowe, Handzus and Murray to already go along with Pavelski and Sheppard. You can't be an effective counter punch team when you're slow. This team now is more suited to that if need be.
I'll grant you that. Slow and low scoring just flat out doesn't work.

BTW, I have been checking Sheppard's speed and it is below average. Good on the boards but he loses a lot by about a half step because he can't get away from defenders once he gets the puck.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
I'll grant you that. Slow and low scoring just flat out doesn't work.

BTW, I have been checking Sheppard's speed and it is below average. Good on the boards but he loses a lot by about a half step because he can't get away from defenders once he gets the puck.
Yeah hes good at controlling the puck down low due to his size and reach. I think hes agile for a big guy but not overly fast. Hes much quicker than Clowe and Zus though.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
do0glas

i think sheppard is about as clear cut a center you can get. so his development should be going that route. playing winger on the sharks fourth line wont really help.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i think sheppard is about as clear cut a center you can get. so his development should be going that route. playing winger on the sharks fourth line wont really help.
They already have Desi as an adequate 4th line center. I really question whether Sheppard can cut it as a third liner. He is not putting up points as you would expect someone of third line caliber and I am taking into account his lack of games. If he was adequate, Pavelski should be going lights out on goals and Sheppard getting quite a few first assists. They are not playing top competition and Galiardi seems more to do with Pavelski scoring than Sheppard.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:18 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
They already have Desi as an adequate 4th line center. I really question whether Sheppard can cut it as a third liner. He is not putting up points as you would expect someone of third line caliber and I am taking into account his lack of games. If he was adequate, Pavelski should be going lights out on goals and Sheppard getting quite a few first assists. They are not playing top competition and Galiardi seems more to do with Pavelski scoring than Sheppard.
Totally agree with this. Sheppard on the 3rd line makes just as much sense as keeping Burrish in the line-up

Old
04-10-2013, 06:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Sheppard to me looks like a 1st year prospect with a ton of talent who isn't quite putting it together. He has, for instance, noticeably more talent than Desi. He has some pretty impressive vision, is able to deke very well, and has created some very dangerous chances.

He's not a 1st year rookie though, that's the issue. He has however missed two entire seasons without the ability to even skate and practice that entire time. I think we kind of need to treat him like a rookie and give him at least another season before we call him a bust. He appears to have all the tools, but is just rusty, and that's totally understandable.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:46 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Sheppard to me looks like a 1st year prospect with a ton of talent who isn't quite putting it together. He has, for instance, noticeably more talent than Desi. He has some pretty impressive vision, is able to deke very well, and has created some very dangerous chances.

He's not a 1st year rookie though, that's the issue. He has however missed two entire seasons without the ability to even skate and practice that entire time. I think we kind of need to treat him like a rookie and give him at least another season before we call him a bust. He appears to have all the tools, but is just rusty, and that's totally understandable.
My take is that his skating is holding him back and unless he busts his tail over the summer on skating, we will get more of the same as what we are seeing now.

I think part of what got him into trouble is the same thing that led to the injury. Too much fun, too little work. He needs a lot more commitment to hockey and prayers that it isn't too late.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
My take is that his skating is holding him back and unless he busts his tail over the summer on skating, we will get more of the same as what we are seeing now.

I think part of what got him into trouble is the same thing that led to the injury. Too much fun, too little work. He needs a lot more commitment to hockey and prayers that it isn't too late.
How many is it, now? Thornton, Marleau, Galiardi, Sheppard, Demers, Vlasic, and Gomez all have had or have the reputation of being unwilling to dedicate themselves to improving their games...certainly not the first time I've heard that about Sheppard.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
How many is it, now? Thornton, Marleau, Galiardi, Sheppard, Demers, Vlasic, and Gomez all have had or have the reputation of being unwilling to dedicate themselves to improving their games...certainly not the first time I've heard that about Sheppard.
Marleau is doing it every summer and is generally there early for Captain's Ice. You don't get Marleau's skating speed without serious lower body weight training. He runs a hockey camp for kids every summer.

Sheppard was on the thin edge of violating his contract terms in terms of pursuing his recreational thing which got him injured.

I haven't heard any negatives or positives on the off seasons of Galiardi, Demers and Vlasic. I even gave Clowe kudos for his off seasons.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Despite all his experience Sheppard is just 24 years old...the kid is still learning.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
I hope they're patient with Sheppard and don't just cut him loose

Old
04-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
I hope they're patient with Sheppard and don't just cut him loose
They will be patient but he will be pushed by Nieto and Hamilton for a job next year..whether they get it or not. Healthy competition is good.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
They will be patient but he will be pushed by Nieto and Hamilton for a job next year..whether they get it or not. Healthy competition is good.
Nieto and Sheppard play different positions...and at least for now Sheppard is a lot better than Hamilton.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Nieto and Sheppard play different positions...and at least for now Sheppard is a lot better than Hamilton.
Sheppard has played mostly wing up here. San Jose the home of centers. I didn't say either would supplant him but they would push him in camp at least I think it would motivate him to improve his offseason conditioning.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Sheppard has played mostly wing up here. San Jose the home of centers.
I may be overstepping, but I think the more important point is that Sheppard is a 3rd/4th liner (ideally 4th). Nieto won't be called up to play on the 4th line, if he's called up it will be to play on a scoring line.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I may be overstepping, but I think the more important point is that Sheppard is a 3rd/4th liner (ideally 4th). Nieto won't be called up to play on the 4th line, if he's called up it will be to play on a scoring line.
I edited my post to elaborate. I never said they would take his roster spot but push him to improve knowing that his spot isn't secure.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I edited my post to elaborate. I never said they would take his roster spot but push him to improve knowing that his spot isn't secure.
This is something that fans say, but to be honest players laugh at the whole idea of it. Players that don't work hard every day to get better, especially guys that are 3rd and 4th liners, don't stay around in the NHL long enough for it to even matter.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
This is something that fans say, but to be honest players laugh at the whole idea of it. Players that don't work hard every day to get better, especially guys that are 3rd and 4th liners, don't stay around in the NHL long enough for it to even matter.
I was just saying..i'll take your word for it since you're around professional hockey players more than I. There were rumors of his lack of work ethic in Minnesota, I'm assuming he's grown up.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
do0glas

i think in sheppards case there is definitely a lot of natural talent there. i like when he has the puck on this stick. but off the puck he is going to find it hard to score goals without the ability to generate separation. agility can easily come from lower body training.

running fast i think is something that you either have or dont. obviously you can improve it, but if you are a slow runner-the amount of work youd put in to get really fast would just be abnormal

but skating is more a muscular function that you can train to be stronger. so im hoping that the coach, trainer, or whoever tells him to focus on that and really be dedicated or he could find himself being a career AHL player.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i think in sheppards case there is definitely a lot of natural talent there. i like when he has the puck on this stick. but off the puck he is going to find it hard to score goals without the ability to generate separation. agility can easily come from lower body training.

running fast i think is something that you either have or dont. obviously you can improve it, but if you are a slow runner-the amount of work youd put in to get really fast would just be abnormal

but skating is more a muscular function that you can train to be stronger. so im hoping that the coach, trainer, or whoever tells him to focus on that and really be dedicated or he could find himself being a career AHL player.
Stride and form have a LOT to do with speed on ice skates. Strength is important too of course, but having a good stride is more important.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:50 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Stride and form have a LOT to do with speed on ice skates. Strength is important too of course, but having a good stride is more important.
From Pavs' trainer, speed comes from getting low and maintaining abnormally long contact with the ice with the skates (stride). It is greatly aided by abdominal, quadriceps and gluteal strength. Balance is also a critical factor. Getting low allows the skater to transfer more power to the stride through the quads and the quads are alone are critical to first step quickness.

If you look at the Olympics, the quads on speed skaters are humongous. Same for cyclists and cycling is excellent strength training for skating. And, there have been Olympians who double up between speed skating and cycling.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:26 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
From Pavs' trainer, speed comes from getting low and maintaining abnormally long contact with the ice with the skates (stride). It is greatly aided by abdominal, quadriceps and gluteal strength. Balance is also a critical factor. Getting low allows the skater to transfer more power to the stride through the quads and the quads are alone are critical to first step quickness.

If you look at the Olympics, the quads on speed skaters are humongous. Same for cyclists and cycling is excellent strength training for skating. And, there have been Olympians who double up between speed skating and cycling.
Right, but strength alone is not going to make you fast basically. Look at Douglas Murray. I doubt anyone would argue he lacks leg strength. You need to have proper form first, then leg strength, or you are putting power into an inefficient system.

Closed Thread