Notices

where will the grit come from?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
where will the grit come from?

Hate to bring up this age old question, but will the Bruins have enough grit in their lineup opening night?

Down the middle, Thornton and Stock will provide some thump. You've got McCarthy and Grosek on the wings, "Knubsey" too I guess. Beyond that, you've got a lot of finesse and potentially youth. Lapointe is out for now. I guess we've got "Blades" Donato too if need be.

Is this good enough? Should the B's pick up a banger (winger with good size and who can hit) in the waiver draft?

I think they're in need of an Aaron Asham type.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
brianscot

vCash: 500
As meister mentioned in another thread, Erik Rasmussen would have been a nice pick up for the Bruins, but nooooooo, he ends up in New Jersey.

I guess it depends upon what grit means to you. For instance, in his own way, PJ Axelsson is very gritty.

I think the team will weather Lapointe's injury quite nicely. Thornton, Grosek, McCarthy, Stock, Odonnell, Mcgillis, etc are physical enough.

If anything, it gives a building team a chance to look more closely at a prospect.

Let's see who takes advantage of Lapointe's time out.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:41 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Hate to bring up this age old question, but will the Bruins have enough grit in their lineup opening night?

Down the middle, Thornton and Stock will provide some thump. You've got McCarthy and Grosek on the wings, "Knubsey" too I guess. Beyond that, you've got a lot of finesse and potentially youth. Lapointe is out for now. I guess we've got "Blades" Donato too if need be.

Is this good enough? Should the B's pick up a banger (winger with good size and who can hit) in the waiver draft?

I think they're in need of an Aaron Asham type.
I suspect Zino has Linseman-like fiestieness. Check out a video where he crashes the net, it gets knocked off its moorings, and he takes a swing at a defenseman:

http://www.ak-bars.ru/video/
Select 2002/2003 season and download "Королюк" on 24.10.2002 game.
(Note: you'll need the Divx codec to play it in Windows media player.)

Old
09-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Bruwinz37

Lapointe is only out a month, right? With him, Grosek, Knuble, McCarthy, Stock, and Thornton...never mind OD and McGillis on D it is a fairly tough team.

I have stated my case on this a lot, and I will one more time. I think it starts with the coaching and the attitude the coach relays onto his players.

Like Misterjaggers I have heard that Zina can be a pest out there as well. Worse comes to worse Steve Webb is still a UFA!

Old
09-24-2003, 03:36 PM
BleedBruins

This is a really sensitive point for me

IMO - everyone should be taking the body. Its part of hockey(especially play-off hockey). As far as i'm concerned, Sullivan and then Thornton, as capt, need to set the tone for how Bruins hockey is played. If any player doesn't take the body, give effort, takes a stupid penalty, they sit.

This is even mopre important if we';re going with youth.

We haven't exactly been on the ice in the plaoffs much the last decade, we might as well try to play it during the regular season....

Old
09-24-2003, 03:43 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBruins
IMO - everyone should be taking the body. Its part of hockey(especially play-off hockey). As far as i'm concerned, Sullivan and then Thornton, as capt, need to set the tone for how Bruins hockey is played. If any player doesn't take the body, give effort, takes a stupid penalty, they sit.

We haven't exactly been on the ice in the plaoffs much the last decade, we might as well try to play it during the regular season....

Sounds like MOC's comments at the end of last season.......

Hope they perked up and listened

Old
09-24-2003, 03:52 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
I'm less concerned about the grit than I am:

- Whether the goaltending will hold up

- Where the center depth will come from and what the face-off % will be

- If the Bruins defense will be lacking mobility, puck skill and the ability to carry the puck up ice. Signing Berard and having Jillson step up could make a difference, otherwise, it could be a major problem with the increased speed of today's game.

To me, all of these could end up being fundamental problems which debilitate the team's overall effectiveness. They don't have to be solved right now, as long as they are eventually addressed as part of a bigger plan to grow and succeed this year and years beyond.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:55 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBruins

Agreed - good point. Some of this should come from the work ethic Sullivan is supposed to instill. But like you said, everyone shoudl follow through with their checks, and the leaders, especially Thornton, O'Donnell and Lapointe, have to help set the tone for the rest of the team.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:11 PM
whatsbruin

As I read this thread, my thoughts turned to Prov.

As good a job as Mike O'Connell is doing in the draft,
he is overlooking a key ingredient to every successful
team.

He has done a great job drafting D'men.
He has a top prospect that is a puck carrier Johonson(sp).
A Solid all around player in Morrison(sp).
A tough stay at home D in Stuart.
Did I get their skill set correct ? I think so.

MOC has drafted some good goalies too.

For forwards he has some very good players with good skills,
but He is missing the tough grind it out players.
The O'Reilly's, Jonathans, Crowders.
I can't think of one promising prospect that fits this bill.
The closest they had recently would have been Goren, and
he is gone. I don't think Goren was the answer, but he was
the closest to this definition.

MOC needs to start drafting some centers and finding
the high energy grinders. They are more valuable than
most think.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
Oops, 3rd post of the day, better cut it off after this one!

In reality, the Bruins have drafted or signed quite a few physical players in the past several years. They took a shot on Cam Mann, Kyle Wanvig, Darren MacLachlan, Jeff Zehr, Matt Zultek, Landon Wilson, Joe Hulbig and several others. For a variety of reasons, these guys collectively just did not pan out. But it isn't really the case that they ignored the need for this type of player - they didn't really do a great job of executing on finding one.

I agree that getting some physically assertive and possibly dominating players (up front) is important going forward. I would conjecture that the Bruins have tried to get away from the "find the next Cam Neely" mentality that I think they had for awhile. After stocking up on skill-first players, now it's time to look for such the Scott Hartnell type player because that balance to the lineup will become very important.

The good news is that this is an organization that is poising itself to be a serious competitor in a couple years moreso than today. There is time to make a wish list of roster needs and fill them at the right time. It is looking like this D group will have a very nice balance of skill and toughness and size as it develops by 2005 or so. Now that the D group looks pretty complete, it would be nice to stock up on forwards.

PS: In my mind, the ideal kind of player to add to the mix sooner, rather than later, is an Adam Mair or Brian Sutherby type. These guys have nice upside as players but can do more than make pretty passes. I'd love to see the effect of that kind of attitude on this team.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Bruwinz37

I think that seemed to be MOC's theme for the past draft. In your face type of guys who give it 100%, get tough when the going gets tough, etc.

Guys like Stuart, Marjamaki, Valcak, and Thompson are all in that mold. Hopefully it is something that will continue in the future.

Closed Thread