Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Ducks 2012/2013 Prospect Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
I don't know if I'd say Karlsson is far off. He's already playing in Sweden's top flight and distinguishing himself. Rakell is pretty close. I have my doubts that he'll be a 2C, but the tools are definitely there.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Hockey Duckie

I think Rakell is already there as an NHL product, rookie standards. Apparently, there's more confidence in Rakell than there was in Holland. And after witnessing last year's performance, I tend to agree with the coaching staff.

As for Karlsson, I think another year in the SEL (I think that's the correct league, but correct me if I'm wrong) and then another year in the AHL to get acclimated. He's got some bulking up to do as well.

Now, Kerdiles as a center? Hmmm... he becomes that much more versatile for the team, especially if he can dominate the FO arena.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I wouldn`t aggree on the point that Rakell is ready for a full season for NHL. Let him play a first pro season in Norfolk, with additional callup. With Holland the same. He isn`t a 4th line type guy, so i don`t want to put him in 2/3d line role for a full season right away also. Bones will have a contract year, i think he will be at least little bit more suited for that 2nd line. And for 4th line, we need a veteran guy, i think.

But that is only for next season.

And then - about Karlsson. In his recent twitter pictures he looks like at least a little bit bulked.
https://twitter.com/WKarlsson71

Old
06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Nice story about O`Brien:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/andr...210657889.html

I didn`t knew all that stuff

Old
06-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post

That's was a good read. I didn't realize he only switched to D at 17. He sounds like a late bloomer in every way possible and we may have a lot of untapped potential there.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That's was a good read. I didn't realize he only switched to D at 17. He sounds like a late bloomer in every way possible and we may have a lot of untapped potential there.
Agreed.

But the fact that he stopped geting points in the middle of the last season worries me. On the other hand - if we gave him a contract - i guess our managment still believes he could be something.
Very interesting prospect for us

Old
06-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:

That was a great read. I know he was scoring at will at the beginning of the season and then it stopped. Dunno why though, but the hitting didn't stop! Norfolk will definitely be entertained!

Old
06-28-2013, 03:05 AM
JeffShibley

Quote:
Agreed.

But the fact that he stopped geting points in the middle of the last season worries me. On the other hand - if we gave him a contract - i guess our managment still believes he could be something.
Very interesting prospect for us
I don't think he will be expected to put up much points. We have other D prospects that can do that. He seems more like a physical shutdown D.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffShibley View Post
I don't think he will be expected to put up much points. We have other D prospects that can do that. He seems more like a physical shutdown D.
No doubt

But the tendencies were obvious. If you put up points, do it all season, not just half of it. His season, point wise was cut like with a knife. He was on a good pace first half and then stopped almost completely.

That is only about points and idk all the factors that could be involved. I`ll just wait until his first pro season. And i already can`t wait

Old
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
So when are we going to do our annual prospect ranking voting? After the camp?

Old
07-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
So when are we going to do our annual prospect ranking voting? After the camp?
that would be the best time to do it.

Also - how many years we have been doing it? Would be interesting to compare the results. I would also want to check my individual votes, but i have to do it on my own.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:12 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:

Also - how many years we have been doing it? Would be interesting to compare the results. I would also want to check my individual votes, but i have to do it on my own.
Don't know how long we have been doing it. Atleast for two years .

I guess Palmieri isn't considered a prospect anymore?

Old
07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

No, Palms is not a prospect anymore

Old
07-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Paul4587

Quote:

I remember conducting polls 2 years ago and it was definitely done again last season. So at least 2 years - if not more.

It will be interesting to see how different our list is to hockeysfutures list. I've got a feeling Lindholm will get a lot more credit from hfboards posters than he does the hockeysfuture writers.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
I remember conducting polls 2 years ago and it was definitely done again last season. So at least 2 years - if not more.

It will be interesting to see how different our list is to hockeysfutures list. I've got a feeling Lindholm will get a lot more credit from hfboards posters than he does the hockeysfuture writers.
Meh about Lindholm difference. Gibson and Andersen will be the heavy risers in our rankings for sure They were the biggest WTF`s at the last HF rankings. Not like they should have 10 A ranking, but they have seriously showed themselves as very capable guys but had rankings of a backup goalies at best.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I don't think Andersen will rise that much, personally. Gibson definitely should. Even factoring in how volatile goalies are, you could probably argue he might be our best prospect. He'd be pretty high on my list, at any rate.

07-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Paul4587

As of the latest rankings Gibson is ranked as our #2 prospect - he can only rise one spot. Lindholm is way down at #5 behind Holland and Rakell.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I guess I haven't seem the latest rankings.

I don't agree with Lindholm at 5. His upside, talent level, etc... is as high as any of our prospects.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I guess I haven't seem the latest rankings.

I don't agree with Lindholm at 5. His upside, talent level, etc... is as high as any of our prospects.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...anaheim-ducks/

Agreed on Lindholm. Karlsson at 8 also seems a bit low and Holland is probably too high at 4 IMO.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:06 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
As of the latest rankings Gibson is ranked as our #2 prospect - he can only rise one spot. Lindholm is way down at #5 behind Holland and Rakell.
Oh i thouhgt he was lower in rankings. Because his number (7,5C) seems a bit low.
Agreed on Lindholm too then.

And i believe Andersen was in the last part of top 20 which is a bit wrong in my opinion.

Old
07-04-2013, 02:54 AM
JabbaJabba

Here's our prospect ranking from last summer. I'm expecting a lot of changes.

1. Kyle Palmieri
2. Sami Vatanen
3. Emerson Etem
4. Peter Holland
5. Hampus Lindholm
6. Devante Smith-Pelly
7. John Gibson
8. Rikard Rakell
9. Nicolas Kerdiles
10. William Karlsson
11. Frederik Andersen
12. Chris Wagner
13. Max Friberg
14. Matt Clark
15. Andy Welinski
16. Patrick Maroon
17. Kevin Roy
18. Igor Bobkov
19. Kevin Lind
20. Joseph Cramarossa
21. Andrew O'Brien
22. Tim Heed
23. Luca Caputi
24. Brian Cooper
25. Josh Manson

Old
07-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Here's our prospect ranking from last summer. I'm expecting a lot of changes.

1. Kyle Palmieri
2. Sami Vatanen
3. Emerson Etem
4. Peter Holland
5. Hampus Lindholm
6. Devante Smith-Pelly
7. John Gibson
8. Rikard Rakell
9. Nicolas Kerdiles
10. William Karlsson
11. Frederik Andersen
12. Chris Wagner
13. Max Friberg
14. Matt Clark
15. Andy Welinski
16. Patrick Maroon
17. Kevin Roy
18. Igor Bobkov
19. Kevin Lind
20. Joseph Cramarossa
21. Andrew O'Brien
22. Tim Heed
23. Luca Caputi
24. Brian Cooper
25. Josh Manson
1. Lindholm
2. Gibson
3. Etem
4. Holland
5. Rakell

My top 5

Roy should make a big jump.

Old
07-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

My top 2 will be Gibson and Lindholm in that order, but for others (compared to last year rankings)

I agree to Gliff about Roy. And i think also Kerdiles will be higher, but he was already in top 10, so again - the climb won`t be that higher. I think both Kerdiles and Roy exceeded our already high expectations of them.
A big dropp will be for Clark, i think.
But that could be said about few others here. Anyway, thi will be fun and i already can`t wait.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Here's how I would rank them.

Lost to graduation (65+ games): Kyle Palmieri (70)

1) John Gibson: He may well be the best goaltending prospect in the game. We don't have anyone at that level for forwards/defensemen. As long as we're actually ranking prospects and having goaltenders in the same lists as skaters, otherwise fair considerations like "difficulty to project" or "inferior value" have to go out the window. No reason to believe Gibson cannot become elite, too, so how there is not upside enough for an 8.5C ranking, I do not know. (HF: 7.5C)

2) Hampus Lindholm: Played very well in the AHL, even with the injuries slowing him down. Receives some fine reviews, including praise from TSN at the draft. Great skating two-way defenseman, smart, great frame; not overly physical, and not an offensive force. I think a ceiling of 8.0 (in the Timonen-mold) would make sense. 8.0C. (HF: 7,5C)

3) Emerson Etem: Proved some people right by struggling to adapt to the professional game at the AHL, but worked hard to raise hopes even higher by playing very well in the NHL, using his speed to create things offensively. Him adding a quite physical element potentially makes him a much safer NHL-projection as he indicated that he won't have to translate all of his scoring-ability to the NHL in order to have a long NHL-career. HF's 8.0C-rating still seems like the best fit, to me.

4) Sami Vatanen: It's surprising that we actually talked so much about him this season, when he has pretty much had the season that was to be expected. He was playing pro hockey at a fantastic level in the FEL, so him delivering in the AHL is no surprise, whatsoever. The NHL is a bigger step, and the next season will be a lot more telling, most likely. I have a hard time saying I feel he has true top-pairing potential; on the flip side I'd actually give him a 7.5B at this point, as I think one can be fairly confident that he will have an NHL career available for him even if just as a #5/6 guy. (HF: 7.5C)

5) Shea Theodore: If your offensive game earns you comparisions with Mike Green, it's safe to say it won't hold you back from virtually any ranking. It's purely his defensive game that makes him an unsafe NHL-projection. That can come around, and he seems dedicated to working on it, and it seems like he already has made some progress. Maybe it's already underrated, as he played on Canada's top PK-unit late in the year. The development of a sound defensive game at the top-level is one of the more impossible things to project in hockey, so the grade will have to reflect that - in both directions: making sure it's a long shot, but also illustrating that if it comes to him, there's a lot of potential. 8.0D. (HF: tba)

6) Peter Holland: In a bit of a coin-flip decision over #7, I'm going with my perception of a somewhat higher offensive potential with Holland over Rakell's safer projectability (as it's not as big of a difference as with Vatanen/Theodore). It's going to be a big year for him in the organisation. His path so far was expected, and he has indicated good potential, especially an NHL shot. Still in agreement with HF's 7.5C.

7) Rickard Rakell: While his offensive upside isn't translating into eye-popping junior-numbers, I feel confident that it's very much existent, and the lack of top-prospect production there is more based on his playing style, including a mature focus on two-way play. As he's more relied on to provide offense, like with Sweden's WJC-team, he has shown that skill won't limit his potential to a bottom-6 NHL-future, which is overall game makes him a relatively safe bet to become in some capacity, at least. Don't really feel like I can (yet) go higher in uspide, nor higher in safeness than HF's 7.5C.

8) William Karlsson: Had an exciting first season in the SEL (now re-named to SHL), earning him rookie of the year honours, beating out Carolina's recent 5th overall pick Elias Lindholm, putting him in quite remarkably company (Johan Larsson, Mattias Ekholm, Jacob Markström, Viktor Hedman, Patric Hornqvist, Nicklas Backström). Great hockey sense, good playmaker and another guy that plays both ways. I almost feel bad capping his upside, but my guess is that it's another fair 7.5C for now, as HF has it.

9) Nic Kerdiles: Starting off his NCAA-career with a bit of a nightmare over a ridiculous suspension, he became a huge factor and had a tremendous first season with Wisconsin. Together with his scoring ability at a great frame - it's almost becoming boring to repeat - he is yet another strong two-way player. To make it short: I think a slight bump for is in order, as he matches well with Rakell/Karlsson in terms of upside. 7.5C (HF: 7.0C)

10) Nick Sörensen: Is in many ways like his good friend Rakell. A two-way player, with some decent skill, while not being flashy (maybe not as skilled as Rakell, but I reserve judgement on that). What sets him apart positively is his speed. His injuries are a concern, but they had a role in making him available there, in the first place. Another 7.5C for me. (HF: tba)

11) Devante Smith-Pelley: Had the most disappointing year of all our prospects, given that he was basically penciled in on the Ducks' roster after his solid rookie-campaign. For whatever reason (or conglomerate of reasons), he wasn't up to NHL duties, and didn't seem to respond amazingly at Norfolk, either. There's no point in writing him off, and certain hope that his response will come in form of a dedicated summer, but I do think he's a bit less of a lock for a long NHL-career - that does by no means mean that the upside isn't there. 7.0C (HF: 7.0B)

12) Antoine Laganiere: He was one of the most highly sought-afer NCAA free agents after his season ended due to his combination of an outstanding frame and his playing style, which appears made for professional hockey. While his numbers in the NCAA aren't world-beating, his combination of shot/hands/vision/physicality/skating and defensive play make him very intriguing. Turning 23 tomorrow, he's further along in his development than most prospects, and could be a factor right away. Since I haven't seen enough and haven't read from enough different sources, I don't feel I'm in a position to argue with HF's 7.0C.

13) Kevin Roy: After scoring at will in the USHL, Roy did not struggle to put up points in his first college season, scoring higher than point-per-game pace for Northeastern, earning him a spot in the all-rookie team. He's a bit undersized at 5'10 (last measurements I saw), but not so much that it negates a chance to have a productive NHL career on skill and drive - both he showed plenty of so far. 7.5D (HF: 7.0D)

14) Charles Sarault: Another free-agent signing, Sarault concluded his junior-hockey career in impressive fashion by scoring 108 points (just one shy off Florida's Vincent Trochek). He lead the league for the OHL in assists (86) the second time in a row, and more than started to disperse voices saying he owes all of his success to Alex Galchenyuk's and Brandon Reid's scoring prowess. His vision is well documented in those numbers, and still, he's far from one-dimensional. A little undersized, it will be interesting to see how he does in his first full season with Norfolk. As second line potential isn't out of the question, I'd give his rating the deserved bump for his outstanding season: 7.0C. (HF: 6.5C)

15) Max Friberg: Friberg had what appears to be a relatively similar year in the SEL. His scoring explosion at the 2012 WJC was a bit of an anomaly; he's capable of scoring, but shouldn't be expected to do it in bunches. He's fast, tirelessly working and getting his nose dirty, while being quite strong for his mere size, which could allow him to become a responsible complimentary player on top of becoming a solid bottom-6er. His offensive game isn't quite enough for me to consider him a good bet to ever become a 2nd line player or to bump his rating into a "B", but his other traits make him a better bet than your average "C" to not miss his realistic potential by much. Agreed with HF's 7.0C.

16) Chris Wagner: After his breakout NCAA-campaign, Wagner stepped into the AHL early and did not disappoint. Mostly without the big offensive duties or opportunities, he found ways to be reasonibly productive, especially for a rookie, and even moreso considering his defensive game. With that in mind, I think he has overcome most of what caused him the "D" rating before. 7.0C (HF: 7.0D)

17) Steven Whitney: Another free agent signing out of the NCAA, Whitney had a remarkable season earning him a spot on the NCAA Hockey East's First All Star Team and the Walter Brown Award for Best American-born player in New England. Whitney is incredibly fast and has a terrific shot. He's downright tiny, but doesn't allow that to reflect in his game as he has an edge to him and gets involved physically. In those regards (goalscoring, size and edge) he necessarily draws a link to Ottawa's Cory Conacher, who is the latest name to become a prominent example of overcoming such size-issues. Nevertheless, I admit that I'm a bit surprised the existing concerns that materialized with a lot of skilled players that size didn't result in HF giving him a lower mark than 7.5C, which at this point I have too little to adjust.

18) Keaton Thompson: He's an intruiging guy to collect in a 3rd round. As discussed relatively excessively in his thread (and likely moreso than any 3rd rounder in recent memory), some scouts saw 1st round upside in him earlier in the year. The two-way defenseman hit a rough patch lateron in the year, which led to questions about many of those less tangible qualities that make a really good two-way guy. According to Madden, the Ducks are in the camp of those attributing it to a matter of confidence in one of the youngest players in the draft. 7.0C (HF: tba)

19) Andy Welinski: It has been very quiet around Andy Welinski this year, as he settled in with Minnesota-Duluth in his first NCAA-year. After making big strides to end his USHL-career, the strong skater with a hard shot had a fair offensive output to lead his team from the blueline, but a -15 rating is a bit of an indicator for his defensive game taking some time. Due to a lack of reports on him, I hope I'll hear more on his year and whether that's just a case of a team's struggles translating into an individual's plus/minus. Either way, it wouldn't be an entirely unexpected bump on his road, so it makes sense to stick with HF's 7.0C.

20) Frederik Andersen: I am having the hardest time ranking Andersen fairly. He's put up more than respectable numbers in his first year in the AHL. That shouldn't really make for a surprise, as he has proven himself in the SEL before. So, on the one hand, you have a 23-year old netminder with a fantastic frame who has put up two impressive years in professional leagues - that alone could be enough to slap at least a 7.5-tag on his ceiling. On the other hand, I am not sold on his play translating to the highest level. That said, even given my own reservations, I find HF's rating of 6.5D to be more than just questionable. While I personally (and on a questionable basis, I gladly admit) agree with the limited ceiling of a career backup of Scott Clemmensen's or Ty Conklin's ilk, there's no rationalisation to consider him reaching that limited potential that significantly unlikely. Everything he has done over the past two seasons very much indicates that he's very close to that already, if not better. A find a 6.5B-rating to be far more reflective of that, as it includes the possibility that he maxes out as a depth-goaltender, which is precisely what he already is. (HF: 6.5D)

Honorable Mentions:

- Joseph Cramarossa has had an exciting last junior campaign, destroying his former point-totals and becoming a factor on both sides of the puck. Will be interesting to follow at Norfolk. As good as his overager-year was, I wouldn't question HF's 6.5C-grade on that basis.

- William (Grant) Besse: The forward had a remarkable year, making his name stick in the Minnesota highschool hockey history books. He is a pure goalscorer, fast and decent defensively. The former aspects immediately remind of the above mentioned Stephen Whitney (although not quite as undersized), who joined the Ducks after finishing the college-career Besse is about to take on (with Kerdiles' NCAA team). Madden himself refers to him as a home-run pick. 7.5D (HF: tba)

- Miro Aaltonen: The Ducks were impressed with his short stint at the World Juniors before injury struck Aaltonen. They kept tabs on him, liked his showing in his Finnish junior team's playoffs, talked to his club's officials and ended up selecting the 20-year old late in the draft. Another one to meat the theme: a skilled player in terms of playmaking as well as finishing, good skater, and - while slightly undersized - a strong two-way contributor. 7.0D(HF: tba)

- Igor Bobkov: Didn't have a great start to his professional career with the Admirals, which isn't a shock. He has basically been the project he was since he was drafted four years ago, and he'll likely continue to be just that until he either puts things together and goes through the roof, or - and more realistically - fades away. Still a 7.0D.

- Defense roundup: The Ducks have a bunch of big defensive defensemen outside my top-20. First to name is Mat Clark (HF: 6.5C), veteran among our prospects, who's had an up-and-down (and apparently more of the latter) campaign with Norfolk. Kevin Lind (HF: 6.5C) will join the Clark after finishing his NCAA career with Notre Dame, over which he did not develop a noteable offensive game as far as numbers indicate, but ended up leading the blueline on his team in +/- by a fair margin. From the QMJHL, Andrew O'Brien (HF: 6.0C) is another young man to head to Norfolk. O'Brien follows the odd trajectory of a late-converted forward adapting to the defensive position. While not hitting the offensive numbers of previous years, he ended up being a solid defensive part of Rouyn-Noranda, and brings some edge to the Ducks' prospect pool. Another player in juniors who had an intriguing season is Kenton Helgesen. While his growth in numbers (especially +/-) can be attributed to the Hitmen's strong season and overall goal-differential, he brings size and a similar element to the pool as O'Brien does. More size is added from Jaycob Megna (HF: 5.5C), who might see his rating climb a bit over his defensive play with Nebraska. A different element was brought in with the signing of Kevin Gagne (HF: 6.0D). The significantly undersized defender was an outstanding offensive force, putting up more than a point-per-game in winning the Q's honours for defenseman of the year. Adapting to the pro-game will be a tough task for him, though.

Missed Cut
Brian Cooper 6.0C
Radoslav Illo 6.5C
Tim Heed 6.5D
Josh Manson 6.0C
Nick Pryor 6.0D

Old
07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Vipers-

Really well done IMO. I could nit pick here and there, but it would all be generally at the bottom of the rankings(I'd have Andersen higher and Whitney lower). But again, all in all a very solid job. Thank you for taking the time.

Closed Thread