HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series (MOD outdoor hockey)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 10:04 AM
ebox99

vCash: 500
2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series (MOD outdoor hockey)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home
Quote:
Outdoor hockey will return to Chicago when the Chicago Blackhawks host the Pittsburgh Penguins at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 1, 2014, at Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears, the NHL announced Wednesday.

The event is part of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, in which the NHL plans to play a number of regular-season games in outdoor facilities during the 2013-14 season. The NHL intends to announce more outdoor regular-season games in the coming weeks.
This will be second time hockey has been played at Soldier Field, which opened in 1924. On Feb. 17, 52,051 watched four college teams play a doubleheader dubbed the Hockey City Classic -- Notre Dame beat Miami University in one game, and the University of Wisconsin beat the University of Minnesota in the second.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 05-01-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: copyright
Old
05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

vCash: 13477
A watered-down outdoor game concept sponsored by a watered-down beer?

CORPORATE SYNERGY!!!!!!

Old
05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Crease

They just couldn't help themselves could they.

What does this mean for NHL's partnership with the HBO 24/7 series?

Old
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
They just couldn't help themselves could they.

What does this mean for NHL's partnership with the HBO 24/7 series?
24/7 stays exclusive to the WC... and the rest, watch for some NBCSN rendition of 24/7. Most likely in an hour long format (pre-game). What I'm thinkin' anyway.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Crease

Probably a good bet, M4B.

Dilution arguments aside, the TV ratings for these games will be sufficient. More importantly to the the owners and players is the money they get from Coors Light for this.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Jonas1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Probably a good bet, M4B.

Dilution arguments aside, the TV ratings for these games will be sufficient. More importantly to the the owners and players is the money they get from Coors Light for this.
They already have Coors' money. Like 300 million a year or something isn't it? Something outrageous. I bet the amount of NHL related beer ads will be sky high.

Scotty Bowman said on Prime Time Sports that the 2013 Winter classic in Detroit was going to have a 14 million gate. Each one of these games is like a 100 million in revenue if you include all related sales to the event.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
saskganesh

It's not dilution, it's a stab at ... saturation.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:46 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

It could quickly kill off the uniqueness of the WC. 1-2 additional outdoor games may not be too much, but several? I suppose it will be an interesting draw locally, if nothing else.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:03 AM
CerebralGenesis

Hard to find the line between saturation and oversaturation when you are unloading 6x the original amount. Should be pipetting that in

Old
05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

I would have expected a higher gate than $ 14 mil. ufc sold like 50k seats in toronto and did over $ 12mil. I guess because detroit is so broke, they need cheaper prices.

the league is a gate driven league, so if you can have a game that brings in ten games worth of revenues it makes sense.

its a great idea for right now, but they might be killing the concept. I don't think five years from now you will be seeing six outdoor games a year with sellouts, unless all the games are in canada.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
It could quickly kill off the uniqueness of the WC.
Yep... I give it 3 years.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:36 AM
ebox99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Yep... I give it 3 years.
WC is unique cause it's on New Years Eve when people are in a happy festive mood. People will continue to be at home on New Years Eve day and the WC brand will attract TV viewers and sponsors still.

Remember people kept saying lockout is going to kill the sport - twice they have been proven wrong. I think the league has more statistics on how best to grow the game and Bettman has been slow to give in on having more outdoor games til there are facts to back the idea up.

Have 2 games in Yankee Stadium on Superbowl week is a great marketing idea. Lots of potential sponsors to attract.

LA/Ducks - they want to try in a warm weather and ride the Kings Cup run. Plus they is an awards show in LA that week so they can get Hollywood to the outdoor event.

Chicago is a huge market that is in love with the game, why not show Pens there after the Olympics? It's putting not a bad idea.

Any outdoor game in Canada is a no brainer.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:44 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
I'm not sure this will absolutely kill the market, but it will definitely drag down ticket prices. Perhaps the NHL has determined that there is something like 6x demand for face-value tickets to the WC.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
WC is unique cause it's on New Years Eve when people are in a happy festive mood. People will continue to be at home on New Years Eve day and the WC brand will attract TV viewers and sponsors still.
While this is true, ebox, it's my opinion that we'll be saying what you said above in past tense fairly soon unfortunately. The WC is unique because the only other immediate "competition" from an outdoor game perspective is the Heritage. Outside of Hockey, the other competitor is College Bowl games. The League has enjoyed it's success of the WC because it's fairly new, teams selected, and the subsequent draws (both sponsorship/ratings and event gate).

Even without the addition of this Stadium Series, at the some point the League was bound to start hitting a wall in regards to "freshness", or uniqueness, of the WC. I kinda anticipated that happening in the next 6-8 years... as there's still some teams and locale's that would do wonders for keeping that uniqueness (i.e. a WC featuring the Av's in Denver vs. say, the Wings, outdoors in Minny...). The league can regurgitate the host team and locale, mix in another team for that event, seemingly prolonging the brand. All said though, there's only so many teams and so many times before it would become stale anyway.

As Fugu stated above, adding in this Stadium Series in is bound to ramp up the demise of that uniqueness the WC has enjoyed thus far. Because A) it loses the year-to-year buildup from event to event by having more events well into February and March - B) At some point, to justify or validate the Stadium Series events, your going to be forced to plug in teams that typically get pegged to be in the WC. Or at the very least a WC team let's call them (Hawks for example) hosting say the Kings, Sharks, Canes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
Remember people kept saying lockout is going to kill the sport - twice they have been proven wrong. I think the league has more statistics on how best to grow the game and Bettman has been slow to give in on having more outdoor games til there are facts to back the idea up.

Have 2 games in Yankee Stadium on Superbowl week is a great marketing idea. Lots of potential sponsors to attract.
Which kinda brings me to the other side of what I was stating above. Perhaps Mr. Collins, and the League (this is my interpretation), saw that eventual loss of luster of the WC and by adding the Stadium Series in, will shift the majority of revenue flow from ratings/sponsorships (the subsequent loss do to it becoming stale/lack of interest I mean), to local gates. Kinda transitioning one to the other... but in doing so your expediting the demise of one for the longevity (in their minds) of the other.

We'll see how this all plays out.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
While I'm not a fan of having this many outdoor games, and certainly not having any team host two in the same venue in the same year, I'll probably watch them so long as they don't conflict with the Blackhawks schedule and I'll probably try to get tickets to the Hawks/Pens game at Soldier Field, so shows how weak my opposition is, I guess....

Old
05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
I would have expected a higher gate than $ 14 mil. ufc sold like 50k seats in toronto and did over $ 12mil. I guess because detroit is so broke, they need cheaper prices.

the league is a gate driven league, so if you can have a game that brings in ten games worth of revenues it makes sense.

its a great idea for right now, but they might be killing the concept. I don't think five years from now you will be seeing six outdoor games a year with sellouts, unless all the games are in canada.
?

The city of Detroit is broke. Ann Arbor and the Oakland County burbs are still among the most affluent areas in the US. The metro area has over 5 million people.

Furthermore, perhaps 50K tickets for The Big House event are tagged for Toronto fans. I hear they're insensitive to price.

Quote:
Which kinda brings me to the other side of what I was stating above. Perhaps Mr. Collins, and the League (this is my interpretation), saw that eventual loss of luster of the WC and by adding the Stadium Series in, will shift the majority of revenue flow from ratings/sponsorships (the subsequent loss do to it becoming stale/lack of interest I mean), to local gates. Kinda transitioning one to the other... but in doing so your expediting the demise of one for the longevity (in their minds) of the other.

That's possible, but Collins is the guy who is on the mission to make NHL fans less tribal. Succumbing to this strategy goes against his stated crusade. One additional factor though is that the league may be giving in to their bosses. So many owners want 'in' on the outdoor action that they may have given in. I still feel that they're going to oversaturate and end up washing out both events (WC and Stadium Series).

Old
05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
I still feel that they're going to oversaturate and end up washing out both events (WC and Stadium Series).
Yep... it's inevitable

Old
05-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Brodie
voted best

I think the NHL saw they had too much demand and nowhere near enough supply and NBC, in it's infinite programming wisdom () saw what they interpreted as a chance at quick money and ratings and jumped. Considering the ineptitude of both organization's decision making, the results will probably be predictable: strong local ratings, diminishing returns nationally and the collapse of the Winter Classic against football

Old
05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
ebox99

Quote:
While this is true, ebox, it's my opinion that we'll be saying what you said above in past tense fairly soon unfortunately. The WC is unique because the only other immediate "competition" from an outdoor game perspective is the Heritage. Outside of Hockey, the other competitor is College Bowl games. The League has enjoyed it's success of the WC because it's fairly new, teams selected, and the subsequent draws (both sponsorship/ratings and event gate).

Even without the addition of this Stadium Series, at the some point the League was bound to start hitting a wall in regards to "freshness", or uniqueness, of the WC. I kinda anticipated that happening in the next 6-8 years... as there's still some teams and locale's that would do wonders for keeping that uniqueness (i.e. a WC featuring the Av's in Denver vs. say, the Wings, outdoors in Minny...). The league can regurgitate the host team and locale, mix in another team for that event, seemingly prolonging the brand. All said though, there's only so many teams and so many times before it would become stale anyway.

As Fugu stated above, adding in this Stadium Series in is bound to ramp up the demise of that uniqueness the WC has enjoyed thus far. Because A) it loses the year-to-year buildup from event to event by having more events well into February and March - B) At some point, to justify or validate the Stadium Series events, your going to be forced to plug in teams that typically get pegged to be in the WC. Or at the very least a WC team let's call them (Hawks for example) hosting say the Kings, Sharks, Canes, etc.

It seems the WC is set up for teams that can draw well National. Not all teams will be invited to the WC.

Having other door games is meant more to charge up the local market and help prop up the local fan base that likely won't be in the WC. It also gives their fans an outdoor game without waiting 10 plus years. Plus there are more sponsoring opportunities.

If it works then teams like Tampa, Dallas, Nashville, NC, etc... can have their own outdoor game. Lots of teams are not national draws so if LA/Ducks game works then the league is onto something that will grow the game in non traditional sites and activate sponsors in those markets.

Plus make a lot of money.

Your right, time will tell but I think the league thinks it will work.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
?

The city of Detroit is broke. Ann Arbor and the Oakland County burbs are still among the most affluent areas in the US. The metro area has over 5 million people.

Furthermore, perhaps 50K tickets for The Big House event are tagged for Toronto fans. I hear they're insensitive to price.
Yeah no, you got it, you always hear in the news about how great Michigan's economy is.

The Toronto fans will pay whatever they ask for the tickets. So my assumption is the gate is that low because of the local Detroit area market. If the Big House was located in Toronto, and they were setting the prices, the gate might be double what they are forecasting. Clearly they dont think people in Michigan can afford top dollar for tickets.

$14 million sounds like a huge number, but considering 100K tickets are available, its not as big as I would have expected.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Brodie
voted best

You have no idea what you're talking about. Prices are low because they have twice as many seats to fill.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:22 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Yeah, the last thing they want to do is try to charge $200+ per and end up with empty seats. They know the views are going to be pretty crappy, the last thing they want to do is price people out too terribly.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Confucius

WTH That's an average of $140, well above the average NHL seat charge in any arena and this one happens to hold 100,000. Sounds like more than enough to me.

Closed Thread